Calling all moms who gave their DD's unique names! (a sister thread) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be fun to do a sister thread for the ds' with unique names. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I think girls names are SO much harder to come up with! Dh and I are planning to start TTC in August so I've already got baby names on the brain.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Hello sister thread poster!! !

Well, for the possibility that this baby I'm carrying is a girl...I've got a list made up!

I'm really loving the name Eliza, right now, and if this baby is a girl (find out in four day! Eek!) she will most likely be named Eliza! We love the way it goes with our DDs name, Avery. Avery and Eliza...best sisters ever!

Some other I love:

Fiona
Hazel (I know, common now)
Vivien
Ilsa
Isadore

I think girls names are so much EASIER than boys! Boys are hard!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM

Eeek, I think it's so hard to think of girl names! LOL

We like...
Isabella,
Eila ( pronounce i-la),
Lilly,
Rue, and
Aurora ( Rory).

I also like Remi, but can't decide if it's a girl or boys name.

ETA: I'm iffy about Rue. It means regret and I don't like that!!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Well, my daughter's name is Lilah. I wanted to name her Delilah but DH dislikes biblical names so we compromised and I am happy with it. If our third is a girl, we are considering the names:
Freya
Roxanna
Ivy
Juniper
Rosabel

A bit of this, a bit of that... a mish-mash quilt of a mama to Oliver (2/3/05) and Lilah (2/5/07) and Silas (9/8/09) :
Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM

my DD's name is Alina. The i sounds like a long e.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Our daughter's name is Carmen. I have always loved the name, the opera the ballet... I once had a plush (real, but plush) black cat I named Carmen.

Our considerations were:
Easy to spell and pronounce, but not too common (at least around here). We actually like that it's a common name in a few languages. People always say they love the name when they hear it; but we haven't heard of a single other Carmen anywhere, child or adult.

Ideally applicable to either gender. I loved that I could name my child without knowing what the sex would be.

Feminine, but strong-sounding.

If we have another girl, I SO would want the name Bella. It's probably my favourite name ever. But dh thinks 2 girls named Carmen and Bella would sound a bit much. I just love the romance and drama.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM

:

I'm looking for a unique girl's name to go with our DD who is named Corinna River. I'm having a very difficult time!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Not a mom yet but I work in a day care and had a Holland and a Marta in my class. In the class just below mine there is an Adelaide. In the 4s there is a Hadley.

My favorite girls names are:

Harper
Eleri/ Ellery
Nora
Ivy
Maeve

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM

My DD is Owyn (pronounced like Owen). Not such an uncommon name, but it is for girls.

My top choice was Gretta, but DH nixed it. On another thread here, I saw Fable for a girl and am currently in love with that name.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM

My name is Thyra, pronounced like a "tear" in your eye, with an "a" at the end.

I love it. It's the female version of Thor - which fits me perfectly But, there are many other variations as well. I get a lot of compliments on it, and although I always have to correct people on the pronunciation I don't care b/c I don't know anyone else with my name.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM

I was waiting for this thread!

Natalie~ I also love the name Eliza and think it goes well with Avery! I'm all about sibling names "fitting"

We have 3 girls and 2 on the way. Their first names aren't unique to me just old fashioned. Their middle names are Tolkien related. Still people think they are "different" names so I hope it's ok that I share!

Ok my 5 girls are (I'm adding their middle names because I love their full names and I am one of those moms who uses both in addressing them )...
Lilith Luthien
Mable Mirkwood
Olive Onodrim
and coming soon...
Birdie Beren
Poppy Peregrin
(of course they aren't born yet so those could change)

Other names we have thought of (first names only)...
Clementine
Fern
Prudence/Prudie
Felicity
Coral
Constance
Gray
Briony/Bryony
Nan
Goldie
Temperance
Winifred
Enid
Juniper
Aster
Gemma
Pippa
Augusta
Vesta
Imogen
Byrd
Billie

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 PM

DD is Eloise, which is a very uncommon name, it hasn't made the top 1000 for 30+ years. Some of the other names we were thinking about for her were:

Gwendolyn
Hazel (getting more common)
Willow (getting more common)
Acacia
Morwenna
Bryna
Bronwen
Rowena
Cordelia
Miriam
Iris
Zinnia
Moira
Portia
Millicent

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM

We love Moira, Portia, and Millicent!

I forgot to add Blue and Bluebell.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM

My oldest is named Lael. People have trouble pronoucing it but we all love it.

And my full name is Jacqulyn. It hasn't been on any of the Top Name lists in 10 or so years.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I plan on naming my daughter Clarity Leilani (Hawaiian for heavenly flower)
Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 PM

My daughters name is Janelle Ashlynn, not as unique as her brothers Kincaid Chance and River Anderson, but more unique than her other brother Travis Neil.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM

my dd's name is Judah Magnolia. Other girls names I considered were Ada and Annika.

Katie
Old 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM

My children are Shaye (I also liked the Shea and Shay spelling, but DP liked Shaye better), Naia (pronounced Ny-uh), and Laela (like Layla).

I always loved the name Sage, but DP said we might as well name her Celery.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM

I like Sage.

We have a Celeste she really enjoys her name, though for some reason people have trouble spelling it.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM

My dd's name is Maaike, pronounced my-keh but people around here tend to say Mike-a. DP and I couldn't agree on any female name except this one- I had a friend in high school with this name, looked it up and found out it was dutch (and so is my DP) so he liked it. I love it!

The only annoying part is that no one can spell it! There are a few kids around here named micah so they tend to spell it like that, and of course never say it right when they see it written.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalemon View Post
Well, my daughter's name is Lilah. I wanted to name her Delilah but DH dislikes biblical names so we compromised and I am happy with it. If our third is a girl, we are considering the names:
Freya
Roxanna
Ivy
Juniper
Rosabel
I love Freya and Juniper! Only thing is, Freya is my SIL's name and Juniper was my dh's cats name

I'm kind of stuck on Johanna, Opal, and Bernadette...but I just don't know

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM

My daughter's name is Qualia, pronounced KAL-ee-uh. It's pretty unique, in that it's a real word but it's not used as a name and she's the only person we know of who has her name. Qualia is a Latin word for a philosophical idea describing the essence of something and how a person must experience that essence firsthand to really understand it.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

I had to go look it up on babynames.com, but here's my list when we were trying to decide on DD's name.

Sennia
Etana
Sienna
Alessandra
Ilaria
Chiara
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD is Cecily Juliana. Cecily is the medieval variant of the name Cecilia, the patron saint of music. Juliana is also a saint's name (she supposedly tied up the devil!) but we chose it rather to honor dd's birth which was near Christmas ("Jul" in Swedish means "Yule").

If we ever have another girl (which I doubt since we strongly want dd to be an only), we are considering:

Aurelia Ivy
Beatrice Clara
Adela Constance

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 PM

We went with traditional for my first dd name: Grace Judith, and with dd#2, I wanted something more original but meaningful. We chose Veda Rose because Veda is sanskrit for "wise woman" and Rose is after my mother. DD#1 middle name is after my dh mother. We've had our share of looks when we tell people her name, but lots of others love it. However, if I hear one more time..."Wasn't that the name of the little girl in My Girl movie?" I may scream!

Hey
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 PM

When we found out we were having twins DH and I didn't want to know their genders, so tried to come up with b/b, g/g, and b/g sets of names. The same gender name were easy for us.
b/b Silas (we were set on this as a boys name) & Avery
g/g Iris & Sylvia
but we could not agree on a girl name to go with Silas. The tech slipped up at my 20 week u/s and let us know we were having b/g twins, so we started making lists. It wasn't until a few weeks before they were born that we finally agreed on Silas & Mira (meer uh when people read it they tend to pronounce it Myra). Now almost everytime someone asks their names they've heard of another toddler named Silas, but no other Mira's. It's funny, because I don't think of her name as uncommon, but she does get compliments on it regularly. And though it's not her name, we frequently call her Mirabella.

Other faves:
Olive (my mom's middle name...good thing we didn't use it, DD is skinny, dark and tall!)
Ruby
Jane (couldn't get over the plain Jane saying, even though I think it's pretty)
Violet
Ramona
Greta
Margot

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM

When considering names before I know ds was a boy I really liked Ani.

I also liked
Aubry
Aubriani
Gia
Gwenellyn
Tayen

Sigh. I'm pretty sure ds will be my only, so I am a little sad about parting with these names!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 PM

DD is Morgan - easy to pronounce/spell, common but not too common although people frequently hear Megan when she first says her name. As a general rule I dislike the fact that so many girls names end in either an "a" sound or and "e" sound so generally I like names that don't end in that sound (although not always)
I like:
Charlotte
Grace
Alexandra (but called Alex)
Celeste
Cecilia/Cecily
Olive/Olivia
Lindsay
Aubrey
Aurelia
Kelsey

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, you guys hit on some of my favorite names right away and suggested some more!

I like my name, but didn't want to name my DDs after me:

Genevieve

Instead, we named them:

Annabel Eve
Isadora Rose

We picked Annabel pretty quickly, but have come to really love the sound of Isadora. Both are good for nicknames, you can see our in my siggy below.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Phaedra- brilliant, fiery
Sylvie- of the woods

User Tag List