What did you accidentally teach your child? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 91 Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Come on! Learn to drive Geez

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 91 Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Mama, I have PMS."
#63 of 91 Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
I don't know when I started this, but when I ask the big kids to do something, I will say, "Hey can you guys pick up the legos, thanks." The thanks sort of implying that they WILL do it instead of make up excuses why they can't.

Well, now when they want something from me...."mom, can we have ice cream? thanks!"

lol.
Smart kids!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#64 of 91 Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Ds2 picked up "dumba**" from Daddy. It's his favourite insult & has been known to talk to me while walking in stores about various people who he decided were.

Related note, he still has trouble with L's. He likes to go look at clocks. Yeah, that gets some funny looks.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#65 of 91 Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Great thread!

Apparently whenever my toddler asks me for something, I say "hang on" because now when she comes up to me to ask for something she'll say, "milk, please. hang on."

She has also picked up my bad habit of apologizing for everything. She says "sorry" when she hits her head. It's cute, but I hate my reflexive sorry's.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
#66 of 91 Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
What's even funnier is that I try not to say it and then I do and then I say "dammit!" If I don't stop this insanity, she is going to think it's called an "ummm, dammit!"

#67 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 AM

Sometimes it takes me awhile to realize my kids are repeating something I say. When ds2 was about 2-3yo, if I asked him if he wanted something he would give really noncomittal answers, and I almost always ended up saying "Yes or no honey, which one is it?" as I'm standing there with a cheese stick or something. Well, pretty soon ds2 would walk up to me and say something like "Can we go to the zoo tomorrow?" And as I am standing there saying "Ummm, let me think, what are we doing tomorrow?" he says "Yes or no mommy." He actually did it quite often before I realized it was my fault.

Ds1 is the king of repeating all my swear words, all my bad traffic/driver comments, and shouting "Shut up!" at my mom's dog (although that one I can blame on her).

But I think my favorite is when ds1 says, in perfect imitation of my tone of voice, "I can't take this anymore!"

Of course, the most mortifying one came when my inlaws were here. We were all getting ready to eat dinner, and ds1 was helping to set the table. I was in the kitchen and everyone else was already sitting at the table, and out of nowhere ds says "Why am I the only one doing any f'ing work around here?"
#68 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 AM

whenever she drops something she now says "crap."
it's a lot better than what i used to say at least!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#69 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 AM

oh yeah, and "i have my moon. see moon blood"

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#70 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 AM

OK. Let's just say on fb I belong to "Moms Who Drink and Swear".

But, generally, I try (and used to REALLY try) to not swear/use ANY bad words in front of the kids.

It turns out--I didn't even realize--that one of my favorite phrases while driving was "Come on crazy lady, what are you DOING".

Til we were out shopping and my then-4 yo announced, after a woman was taking FOREVER at the register making exact change, chatting up the clerk, so on and so forth as the line grew behind her, "COME ON CRAZY LADY!!!!!"

ehem...
#71 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:45 AM

shoot, whatever, oh my God!, I'm so SICK of that!

She also knows the rules to Wheel of Fortune. :

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#72 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
This reminds me of my former next door neighbour. They had a toddler and he was fastinated by my cat. Unfortunately my cat was less fastinated by him and would hiss at him through the fence. His parents told me that whenever they saw pictures of cats and would say something like "Cat's say miaow" he would correct them and say "No, cat says kkhhsss!"
:

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#73 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmum View Post

apparently he also knows how to do squats now too - the other I day I caught him doing them in the mirror...
No, no, YOU need to learn from HIM. Seriously. My husband and I weight train and the best squat advice out there is to watch children do it. Children have a perfect squat. Adults would do well to watch and learn from them.

On that note, our 19 mo old can deadlift a 10 lb kettlebell. We don't let him do it just willy-nilly, of course, but he watches us use our (much heavier) kbells and he picks up that 10 lb'er and goes to town!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#74 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeg1973 View Post
I am mortified by this....

So, ONCE I was joking around with DH about my "Love handles" you know, the extra fat at the side of your back/waist.

Well, what do you know, my 2.5 year old on that day and a few since has demanded that she too has love handles, saying, "look at my love handles!" while pointing to her sides I have tried just saying that she sure is loveable, but she has kept with it. I feel like such a dork for saying it in the first place now.

Tracy

Ohhhh, when my dd was 4-5 we went through that. I had a real focus on my weight at the time (was going through some self esteem issues) and she picked up on it. Thankfully, after that summer, it seemed to go away for the most part. I, also, was able to move past it, mostly.

I try to have a healthy concept of my weight and just focus on eating well and getting regular exercise. (Now I kind of get a kick out of how much I can pull in the gym. )

#75 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
My family is also a family of hunters. When ds#1 saw his first deer, he asked dh what it was, and dh said, "meat". To this day, all deer are called "meat" in our house. If Bambi is on TV, it's, "oh, look! A daddy meat and a baby meat!" Nothing convinces ds that they are really called deer. LOL
That's awesome!!!!

#76 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymom View Post
Til we were out shopping and my then-4 yo announced, after a woman was taking FOREVER at the register making exact change, chatting up the clerk, so on and so forth as the line grew behind her, "COME ON CRAZY LADY!!!!!"

ehem...
:

I say, "Way to go, Genius!" and "It's not rocket science!"

My older 2 have picked up on it.

#77 of 91 Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM

I have aparently taught DS1 to kick the bottom of the fridge door after he closes it.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#78 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
Of course, the most mortifying one came when my inlaws were here. We were all getting ready to eat dinner, and ds1 was helping to set the table. I was in the kitchen and everyone else was already sitting at the table, and out of nowhere ds says "Why am I the only one doing any f'ing work around here?"
OMG!! That seriously made me laugh

My DS says:
"I just need a minute" when he's stalling and "yes, no, maybe so" when you ask him a question he doesn't feel like answering It's pretty funny. He will also say "is he a bad driver?" if we're driving and he hears a horn honk... I guess I've kicked the swearing in the car and replaced it with calling everyone a bad driver (and honking)!
#79 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 AM

DS1 (4) dislikes clothing - and one evening after a long particular struggle to get him to put pants on (when he was 2-3 or so,) DH said 'I'm sick of seeing your a**hole, put on pants.'

So for the last year, after DS1 finishes using the bathroom, he says "Wipe my a**hole please".

Charming.
#80 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
I don't know when I started this, but when I ask the big kids to do something, I will say, "Hey can you guys pick up the legos, thanks." The thanks sort of implying that they WILL do it instead of make up excuses why they can't.

Well, now when they want something from me...."mom, can we have ice cream? thanks!"

lol.
Similar to that....when our little guy would ask for/to do something that we agreed with, my husband and I both have a habit of saying, "We can do that!" So now my almost 2-year old, when he asks for something that he knows we may say no to, he appends the question with "We can do that!" So, instead of just asking for ice cream, he says: "I can have ice cream, we can dooooo that!" in his best super-perky-I'm-the-cutest-toddler-in-the-world voice.

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
#81 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 AM

When ds was about 2.5... SIL and her little daughter (a little younger than ds) were over. Dh was drinking a bottle of beer. My niece pointed to it and asked her mom, "What is Uncle (DH) drinking?" SIL (I have no idea why...) stuttered and stammered, "He's... he's drinking... water...."

Ds looked at dh, looked at SIL, and declared, "Auntie, that's not WATER! That's a BEER!"

SIL looked embarrassed and changed the subject.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#82 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Having a toddler is like having a moral reflection -- I'm learning about all my bad habits.

I get prickly sometimes, and it's usually a bad idea to talk to me when I'm mad -- much better to just wait a couple of hours. DH always wants to talk about everything right away, so I'm frequently telling him "Don't talk to me right now. Let's talk about this later."

So whenever DS (2.5) doesn't like what we're telling him (usually to stop doing X) he shouts: "Don't talk to me!"

I guess I'm also a little too impatient, because when DS wants something and I say "one minute," he answers, "No, Ima. Not one minute. Right NOW!"

I also tend to blame other people for my problems (mostly DH, not the kids). So the other day DS (newly toilet trained) says to me brightly: "Ima, I made urinade (well, when we "defacate" what comes out is "defecate," so he thinks urine works the same way) on the floor!" and when I asked him why he said "because you didn't take me to the bathroom!" Um, no, because you didn't TELL me you needed to go!

DS2 (16 months) walks around with his hands behind his back. He's been doing that since he started walking, and he looks so silly and self-important doing it, but nearly every time I notice him doing it I find I'm doing it too.
#83 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
To pick up items in the store and exclaim, with great indignation, "MADE IN CHINA!" or "TRANS FAT!" (Recently he refused to choose new sneakers, claiming they all had trans fat. )

To gasp, "What terrible driving!" or "What terrible parking!" These, unlike the above, are usually accurate; no shortage of bad driving around here. : He did once point out cars in a junkyard as "terrible parking".

When he was about 18 months, he learned from hearing his parents discuss his diaper that, if he did not want it changed, the thing to say was, "Seems dry." Then he learned our reaction to that. The result was that I would ask him, "Do you need a change?" and he would pat his crotch (outside his clothes ) and say, "Seems dry. Dat's a bad sign!"

All the F-word stories inspire me to add that, at Girl Scout camp this past weekend, one of the other leaders taught the girls a card game that they learned is called "Egyptian Rat . . . Screw" and consistently pronounced that way, complete with pause. I think all but the youngest girls realized what the real name must be but thought it was funnier to play along!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#84 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
to call our cat's in at night we stand on the porch and "click" our tongues. Turns out, I can "call" our kids that way now too. It actually is awesome, if I need them to follow me around in a place rather than to constantly sounding like a nag by going, "Maya, Maya, come on Maya" I just click my tongue. Works better than the words too.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#85 of 91 Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM

There was a guy with his arm out the window on the bus the other day.. My eight-yr-old asked why he wasn't following the 'keep arms in' rule and I said that I didn't know..

She then said "maybe he was drunk?"

:

(since I have three kids, I get three responses, right? one more to go..)

mischievous.gif
#86 of 91 Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixia View Post
DS1 (4) dislikes clothing - and one evening after a long particular struggle to get him to put pants on (when he was 2-3 or so,) DH said 'I'm sick of seeing your a**hole, put on pants.'

So for the last year, after DS1 finishes using the bathroom, he says "Wipe my a**hole please".

Charming.
FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY!!laughup

ok. The "Sorry" thing. She's "Sowry, Sowry, Sowry..." A lot!
and.... To laugh at farts....
#87 of 91 Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post
No, no, YOU need to learn from HIM. Seriously. My husband and I weight train and the best squat advice out there is to watch children do it. Children have a perfect squat. Adults would do well to watch and learn from them.

On that note, our 19 mo old can deadlift a 10 lb kettlebell. We don't let him do it just willy-nilly, of course, but he watches us use our (much heavier) kbells and he picks up that 10 lb'er and goes to town!
My DD doesn't pick up heavy weights, but will help us load up our free weights with 1.25 and 2.5 lbs plates. She has her only little "heavies"-- those 1 lb dumbbells. She gets on the bench and does chest presses. She can also do biceps curls and overhead presses.

Her newest phrase that she's picked up is "Um, how about...?" when she doesn't like the choice I've offered her.

She's also been yelling that she's "stuck in the mud" whenever she gets stuck. Must have been that Clifford episode where the old cranky guy's boots got stuck in the mud.

And to the PPs who pick up stuff with their feet -- I do the same thing as well. My DH makes fun of my "finger toes", but it does come in handy! DD tries but doesn't get too frustrated when she can't. But, she doesn't have "finger toes" like I do.

Robyn 3/26/07

angel1.gif 2.06 11 weeks, 3.10 6 weeks, 11.10 8 weeks, 7.11 5 weeks

TWINS due 4.03.13

#88 of 91 Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonT View Post
My DD doesn't pick up heavy weights, but will help us load up our free weights with 1.25 and 2.5 lbs plates. She has her only little "heavies"-- those 1 lb dumbbells. She gets on the bench and does chest presses. She can also do biceps curls and overhead presses.
I love it!!! :

Quote:
Her newest phrase that she's picked up is "Um, how about...?" when she doesn't like the choice I've offered her.
My 7 yr old does this.

Quote:
And to the PPs who pick up stuff with their feet -- I do the same thing as well. My DH makes fun of my "finger toes", but it does come in handy! DD tries but doesn't get too frustrated when she can't. But, she doesn't have "finger toes" like I do.
I have long toes, too! My kids have tried, but they don't do it regularly.

#89 of 91 Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPK View Post
I inserted a tampon in front of ds one day (around 18 months) and now he tries to use one himself by stuffing it down his shorts. I decided to put the tampons out of reach and can no longer get ready naked because he'll surprise me by trying to use one on me from behind
I can't stop laughing at this!!!
#90 of 91 Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPK View Post
I inserted a tampon in front of ds one day (around 18 months) and now he tries to use one himself by stuffing it down his shorts. I decided to put the tampons out of reach and can no longer get ready naked because he'll surprise me by trying to use one on me from behind
I didn't want to forget to quote this one. It was HILARIOUS!!!! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page