What did you accidentally teach your child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on, you know we've all been there. Everybody has unwittingly taught their child something they didn't mean to - a shouted curse word when you dropped that jar of pickles on your foot and then your two-year-old screamed it in the grocery store for the next three months, or maybe you said something about your MIL you shouldn't have and your LO repeated it...often.

I have been teaching my 14 month old daughter different animals. She has some wooden magnets with animal pictures on them and she holds them up and I say the name of the animal.

Well, every time she holds up the picture of the cockatoo I trip up. I know what a cockatoo is, but I always almost say "parrot" so when she asks me what it is, I always slip up and say "ummm..." and then have think a second before answering. Every. Time.

Now she is convinced that a cockatoo is called an "ummm." Whenever she sees one in the store or in a book or at the zoo, she yells "UMM! UMM!" Nothing I do seems to convince her that it is, in fact, NOT called an "ummm."

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 PM

The word "crap." My mom "taught" my DS the word s*&t at the young age of 2 yo. He knew exactly how to use it which made us feel that he was pretty good with language but we just ignored it and he stopped. Grandma had to stop using it, too.

We have to really watch what we say when we're driving. Not that we yell at other drivers but sometimes I'll say "what are you thinking" or something similar to another driver and DS just latches onto it. He'll either start questioning what the other driver was doing or he'll want to know exactly what the other driver was doing wrong.

It's amazing how great kids ears really are when you think they aren't listening.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 PM

the word "penis"

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM

I "accidently" taught my 9 month old how to climb the stairs. She would crawl to the stairs, get stuck(at the bottom) turn around and go back where she came from. I showed her she could climb them. I didn't think she would get it in one try!

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM

To say "dammit." Whoops! He uses it correctly, at least...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM

the "cockatoos are called ummm" story is wonderful! That's just hilarious!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM

We've got a bunch of single guys who bought the house next door, which has a pool in the backyard (this is a very cozy culdesac in a VERY family-oriented neighborhood) They've had a few loud parties which drive me BERSERCK- and I've expressed my annoyance, while trying to be careful of the words I chose, etc. Well, my dh had a talk with them a few weeks ago, and they were very nice about it, gave us their cell#s to call if they got too loud, etc., and they've been very considerate about moving the party indoors no later than 9pm since then- I'm delighted! Unfortunately, my dd had been listening a little too well, and we got home from a walk last week to find that the neighbors were having friends over in the pool and were all laughing and having a good time-- this was about 2pm on a Saturday- totally acceptable- and my dd (3.5yo) starts waving her finger and shouting "Charlie's friends are being ROWDY! Do you hear them? They are being rowdy over there!" Oops!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Just thought of another-- we were driving through the parking lot of our grocery store the other day (we were both tired and cranky), and somebody almost backed into us (teenage boys driving, being directed by teenage girls out of the car and obviously not paying any attention) and I grumbled "dumba***es"-- to which my dd said "mom-- don't say dumb!" (I very seldom swear in front of her- honest!)
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
the "cockatoos are called ummm" story is wonderful! That's just hilarious!
What's even funnier is that I try not to say it and then I do and then I say "dammit!" If I don't stop this insanity, she is going to think it's called an "ummm, dammit!"

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 PM

I taught my son to say, "Hey!!" when he wants someone to stop doing something. It wasn't until after I told him not to do it anymore that I realized where he picked it up.

That's the only thing I can really think of . . . the other things they picked up from me aren't things I mind them doing/saying.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Well, every time she holds up the picture of the cockatoo I trip up. I know what a cockatoo is, but I always almost say "parrot" so when she asks me what it is, I always slip up and say "ummm..." and then have think a second before answering. Every. Time.

Now she is convinced that a cockatoo is called an "ummm." Whenever she sees one in the store or in a book or at the zoo, she yells "UMM! UMM!" Nothing I do seems to convince her that it is, in fact, NOT called an "ummm."

This reminds me of my former next door neighbour. They had a toddler and he was fastinated by my cat. Unfortunately my cat was less fastinated by him and would hiss at him through the fence. His parents told me that whenever they saw pictures of cats and would say something like "Cat's say miaow" he would correct them and say "No, cat says kkhhsss!"

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
shit. what the heck!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM

When DD was about 5 she came up to me when I had a drink in my hand and distracted by the computer, it was a Long Island Iced Tea. She asked me what it was, I told her, she asked me what was in it so I told her the recipie. Two weeks later at a gathering, dad asks if I want a drink and DD pipes up with "Give him a long island iced tea. That's 1 part vodka, 1 part tequila, 1 part rum, 1 part gin, 1 part triple sec, 1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix, and coke." I pretty sure some people there were from then on convince I am a lush and training DD to mix drinks for me.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I forgot this one and a friend just reminded me. It's so embarrassing.

Several months ago, My baby girl got down on the floor and started humping it. She was crawling and trying to dance (bounce her butt) at the same time and it just looked...wrong. I walked in and looked at DH and asked "why is she humping the floor?"

Ever. Since. Then. She does it whenever I say the word "hump." She will even bring over her book with a picture of Humpty Dumpty in it and point to it and when I say "that's Humpty Dumpty" she will get down on the floor and do it again. AUGH! It's so mortifying. I always try to ignore it and never make a big deal out of it, but it's like she's psychic and knows it disturbs me to no end!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM

This kind of reminds me of the one of Bill Cosby's old stand-up routines.
The parent is yelling at their children and saying "Goddamnit I told you not to do that!" Kid says "But Dad...he's Goddamnit, I'm Jesus Christ"

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
When DD was about 5 she came up to me when I had a drink in my hand and distracted by the computer, it was a Long Island Iced Tea. She asked me what it was, I told her, she asked me what was in it so I told her the recipie. Two weeks later at a gathering, dad asks if I want a drink and DD pipes up with "Give him a long island iced tea. That's 1 part vodka, 1 part tequila, 1 part rum, 1 part gin, 1 part triple sec, 1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix, and coke." I pretty sure some people there were from then on convince I am a lush and training DD to mix drinks for me.
This is priceless! I bet everyone there thought it was great!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Ugh, I forgot this one and a friend just reminded me. It's so embarrassing.

Several months ago, My baby girl got down on the floor and started humping it. She was crawling and trying to dance (bounce her butt) at the same time and it just looked...wrong. I walked in and looked at DH and asked "why is she humping the floor?"

Ever. Since. Then. She does it whenever I say the word "hump." She will even bring over her book with a picture of Humpty Dumpty in it and point to it and when I say "that's Humpty Dumpty" she will get down on the floor and do it again. AUGH! It's so mortifying. I always try to ignore it and never make a big deal out of it, but it's like she's psychic and knows it disturbs me to no end!
:

it's always the most embarassing stuff they remember!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 PM

OK, mine's not a word or a phase.

I accidentally taught DS1 to pick things up with his toes. :

He is a high needs kinda kid, and I carried him everwhere on my hip. I quickly learned how to snag something on my toes and bring it up to my hand so I wouldn't have to always be bending over. I could even open the car door with my foot. Before he could crawl, I saw him trying to pick something up with his feet, and getting very frustrated because he couldn't. I felt so bad I apologised to him!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 PM

"Stupid dog"

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DS learned to snap his fingers by the time he was a year old.

He's OBSESSED with the dog, who doesn't like him much but is too stupid/lazy to get out of his way. So every morning, I make the dog get up on our bed so DS can't reach him while I'm getting ready. I do this by snapping my fingers over the bed, and telling the dog to come up.

DS's first word was DOGGIE, and he still says it and snaps his fingers at the same time.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
"Stupid dog"
haha thats completely me too! that and unruly beast

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 PM

"no"

which has become the answer to any -and all- questions for my 15.5 mos old

a man on the bus asked her if she was cute- she shook her head for a good two minutes

mischievous.gif
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM

My oldest son's only clear word for almost a year was bullshit.

My 2 year old says dammit whenever he drops something or doesn't get his way. Of course, he uses it perfectly. I say no and he says "aw, dammit!"

My 7 year old and I have this same habit of chewing on our lip. I don't know if its because he sees me do it all the time and picked it up or if its some genetic bad habit I passed on.

Neither boy will operate the vcr/dvd player with their hands. Its only ever done with their big toe. Because my 7 year old saw me do it all the time and we've now passed that on to my toddler.

Dh made some joking comment in passing (when we didn't even realize the kids were around) about kicking someone's ass. My 2 year old latched on to that one. I thought it was hilarious to hear him say "daddy, I kick you ass" Not so much after that first time though.

I think my 2 year old thought our dog's name was "stupid dog" for a long time.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
This kind of reminds me of the one of Bill Cosby's old stand-up routines.
The parent is yelling at their children and saying "Goddamnit I told you not to do that!" Kid says "But Dad...he's Goddamnit, I'm Jesus Christ"
I love that one! It's from "Bill Cosby Himself."

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 PM

Well...I have a very long list of undesirable things (mostly words/phrases) that we have unintentionally taught my poor child. : You know, the usual curse words used appropriately at the most inappropriate times. But my mother unintentionally taught him a real winner. She came in one evening and popped open a beer, saying, "Noni needs a beer!" to my little one when he asked what she was doing. A week or so later we were in the grocery store, my son in the cart, doing the shopping thing...suddenly, he starts shouting "I. NEED. BEEEEERRRR!!!" He didn't stop 'till we were checked out and heading out the door. He was very pleased with himself.

And slightly o/t, but this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
OK, mine's not a word or a phase.

I accidentally taught DS1 to pick things up with his toes. :

He is a high needs kinda kid, and I carried him everwhere on my hip. I quickly learned how to snag something on my toes and bring it up to my hand so I wouldn't have to always be bending over. I could even open the car door with my foot. Before he could crawl, I saw him trying to pick something up with his feet, and getting very frustrated because he couldn't. I felt so bad I apologised to him!
I do this all the time myself. But for some reason, it really freaks my husband out when I pick up something with my toes. I, however, find it a very handy skill to have!!

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM

My 13 month old is suddenly really into picking his nose.....don't know where he saw that (must have been DH)

apparently he also knows how to do squats now too - the other I day I caught him doing them in the mirror...
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Melissa Wife To James & Mama to Christopher Michael- 6/03 ,Ella Cheyenne- 10/09 & Xander Ryan James- 9/10 :
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 AM

......to poke his eyes. DS watched me putting in my contacts one day and laughed at it; I didn't think too much of it until he grabbed the bottle of contact solution off the counter a few days later; he touched the top of the bottle and then proceeded to poke his eye w/ that finger. He even held his eye open w/ the other hand while he did it, same as I do putting my contacts in.
You'd think it'd hurt, but I'm still trying to convince him not to do it.

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM

This is pretty embarrassing to me. I guess I have a lot of indigestion because at home I burp all the time. I can't help it! Well my husband took my 3yo DD to Chuckie Cheese and she sat down at a table and burped and said "that's what mommy does".
Old 06-05-2009, 02:31 AM

To grunt in frustration, i never knew that i did this, but when ever i am frustrated or annoyed i do a grunting noise (think marge simpson). Poppy had been doing this noise, and it was cute but odd and i didnt know where she got it from, until oneday i was getting frustrated and did it, and then she did it back.

User Tag List