climbers and playmats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2009, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds is very very active and i need to get him outdoors everyday if possible and we live close to a park but still just far enough to not be able to make it everyday. we have a huge front and back yard but we live in arizona so grass yards are just not realistic or good for the environment. ds is crawling and climbing but not walking yet and he does not wear shoes, he wont keep them on and i forget anyway. i want to buy an outdoor little tykes climber of some sort (suggestions welcome) and put it out front and let him go nuts but i dont want him crawling around in the dirt all the time, ouch! and i hate bathing more than every couple of days. so i want a mat or something to put under the climber. are those rubber squares good for outdoors? it is about to be monsoon season so i need something that is quick drying and okay in the rain. is it realistic to buy astroturf? haha. anyway, would love some thoughts on this! should i just not worry about it considering he will be walking sometime this summer? thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 06-05-2009, 04:52 AM

The foam mats are totally fine for outdoors, at least the ones I have are. I bought them at Costco and they are advertised as being good for indoor and outdoor and are mold-resistant. They dry very quickly. The biggest issue that I have is that the pieces blow away easily. They fit together like a puzzle, but the edges get caught on the wind and blow away. So you'll maybe want a tarp over it all and something holding it down on the corners, or something.

FWIW, I live I live in NM and while I have a small patch of grass, most of my yard is xeriscaped. DS, who is 14 mos, really has no problem walking on the rocks and cement in bare feet. I thought the rocks and stuff would hurt his feet, but he's really tough. I just wash his feet when we come inside.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#3 of 3 Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 AM

If grass is not an option could you not get some of that fake grass, people over here use it on the balconies, but I've seen it used in gardens too, just something to think about.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page