Piercing ears - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my culture, the baby girls get them done as close to birth as possible. I had mine done at 2 weeks old. My father and grandmother did it with a needle. They had a celebration, it was a big deal. My mom was really diligent about keeping the cleaned and turned and now 26 years later, they are still pierced though I don't often wear earrings. I can literally go two years with out earrings, and then try to put an earring in and it just slides in, they've never closed. My mom said I slept through the whole procedure, never waking, crying, or flinching. I always felt really proud of my pierced ears, and happy that they did it that young.

I will probably pierce my baby girl's ears after their born too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
I find babies with pierced ears look kind of .. inappropriate? Like it would look if you put lipstick on them or something.
Inappropriate's a good word. I've always just thought it looked strange, but inappropriate works, too.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM

I grew up in a family where piercing was expected for baby girls. It was always normal that babies get their ears pierced. It was a surprise for me to find out that it was a rite of passage for friends and I unexpectedly found that my DH was against it after we had our DD. She wanted her ears pierced before she was 2. He couldn't stand it. She finally talked him into it before she turned 5. It was a relief for both of us. It seemed like unnecessary tension. She thinks she should have had them done when she first wanted it. She now wants her ears double pierced...

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
Old 06-10-2009, 04:48 PM

If I have a girl next, whenever she is truly responsible enough to care properly for them. I got mine at 9 years, so I'm thinking at least that old.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
It's not just the pain of piercing, though. There's plenty of soreness afterwards. I have had my ears pierced 7 times, and my navel done too, and always there was soreness for days or even weeks afterwards.
I think that's unusual. I've had my ears pierced 4 times... (all 4 times my mom "made" me or as per the last time 2 hours before my wedding, I just didn't want to fight it) the bottom holes 3 times, and a second hole once, and it never hurt for more than 2 seconds at the very most, definitely no soreness.

Strangely enough, I got my ears pierced at 8, let the grow closed about a year later, my mom made me get the re-pierced for 8th grade graduation, I let them grow closed like 2 weeks later, my mom made me get them re-pierced (and a second set of holes) for prom, I let them grow closed a month later, my mom begged me to get the pierced for my wedding, I took out the earrings that night, and they still haven't grown closed. but they are tiny holes you can barely see, so it doesn't bother me at all... I think it's stupid my mom thought piercing my ears was that big of a deal, and I'd never ever force a kid of mine to pierce their ears, but I wasn't traumatized by it, nor am I upset with her for it, it's just not a big deal.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
I think that's unusual. I've had my ears pierced 4 times... (all 4 times my mom "made" me or as per the last time 2 hours before my wedding, I just didn't want to fight it) the bottom holes 3 times, and a second hole once, and it never hurt for more than 2 seconds at the very most, definitely no soreness.
My ears hurt for weeks when I had them done. My mom's hurt for about a week. My sister's hurt for about 2-3 days. Many of my friends said the same thing (and couple had basically no pain at all). It's not that unusual at all.

Mind you, I had the gun. The more I read about this, the more sure I am that I'm going to see if I can find a piercing studio for my kids, including ds1 if he goes ahead with getting his done. I don't know if he will or not.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It's not just the pain of piercing, though. There's plenty of soreness afterwards. I have had my ears pierced 7 times, and my navel done too, and always there was soreness for days or even weeks afterwards.
A babies skin heals incredibly faster than an adult my nice never experienced any discomfort

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
I find babies with pierced ears look kind of .. inappropriate? Like it would look if you put lipstick on them or something.
I agree. I'm sure in some cultures, it wouldn't - but the areas where I've lived it isn't common.

As to the pain of the piercing, I thought it hurt for just a second then my ears were just really hot. No pain at all after that initial piercing though.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM

In my family it is common/expected that you will pierce your daughter's ears as an infant or toddler at the latest. To be honest, I didn't give much thought to it before we had it done. She was four months old.

I regret it. I regretted it immediately. She was fine within a minute or so, but I felt ever so slightly traumatized that I had allowed it. If we have another child one day, we'll wait until she asks for it.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 AM

My DD is nearly 5 1/2 and asking pretty regularly. It was a big deal in our family that my mom made me and my sister wait until around 10, my mom got hers done at the same time as mine, my grandma never had them peireced. I think we are going to get DD's done around the time of her half birthday party this summer (near-holiday birthdays equal summer, half birthday parties in our house!). We are going to go to a piercer, not the mall, and get small hoops put in, not the sharp piercing studs.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've had multiple piercings (including facial) and have never felt soreness after a day or two. Soreness for weeks seems abnormal. (Of course, I also had a eyebrow ring ripped completely out and was only in pain for a few hours, slightly sore about a day after the initial pain went away).

I have decided to let DD get her ears pierced tomorrow. It is an early birthday gift (she turns 7 next month).

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 AM

Even the disposable "guns" are awful! As sharp as those piercing earrings may seem, they aren't nearly as sharp as a needle and it's a relatively blunt object forcing it's way through skin. A sharp needle at the hand of a professional body piercer is quicker and hurts WAY less. Also, butterfly back studs are awful for fresh piercings too. Piercing shops have little jeweled bars that look just like studs but are the appropriate length/shape. They also have CBRs, little hoops that can't come undone.

People say if you don't like ear piercings you can just take them out, but that's not true. If you have your ears pierced as an infant and decide at 12 you don't want earrings, those holes are there forever, and they ARE noticeable! Both my sister and my best friend absolutely hate earrings, and are so happy they weren't allowed to get it done when they were little and went on about the "prettiness" of sparkly ears.

Anyhow, the earliest my children will be allowed to get it done is 12, depending on the consent laws for piercing/tattoo shops wherever I live. I know my shop currently allows parents to sign for lobe piercings after the child is 12. I myself have a small handful of (professionally) done piercings and tattoos, so I plan to raise my children to be safe and responsible with body modifications.

As for other piercings, I'd let my child get pretty much any non-sexual piercing once they're 16. My parents signed for my bellybutton and tragus. I'd also consider a tattoo, if it was well thought out and my child was mature enough. I got a small foot tattoo for my 17th birthday and it was beyond exciting!

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie View Post
People say if you don't like ear piercings you can just take them out, but that's not true. If you have your ears pierced as an infant and decide at 12 you don't want earrings, those holes are there forever, and they ARE noticeable! Both my sister and my best friend absolutely hate earrings, and are so happy they weren't allowed to get it done when they were little and went on about the "prettiness" of sparkly ears.
My daughter got her ears pierced at 2 years old, now at almost 7 if she has them out for more than an hour I have to force the earring through, at 5 she lost one ear ring and didn't tell me, so it had been out overnight, we actually had to go get her ear re-pierced the next day...they grow completely closed that fast.

Like I said earlier, my ears didn't grow closed after I got them done before my wedding, but they are just holes, you can't really see them unless you look for them. But even if you did, it doesn't look bad or anything.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 PM

I am in the "when they ask" and not forget two seconds later camp, but also had an internal clock of about 9 yo (which is when i got my ears pierced). So, my son asked for about a year before I consented and took him to the piercer when he was 8. It was a week before he was starting at a new school, so also kind of an acknowledgement of an upcoming change in his life/rite of passage. I wouldn't say he is absolutely diligent about his ear, but he hasn't had any major issues with infection. He takes it in and out and cleans it himself. If he has it out for a few weeks, i sometimes help him in putting it back in.

My other kids have not expressed any interest in being pierced. I am not a proponant of infant/toddler piercing, for many of the reasons outlined. But also because infant ears grow at a rapid rate and piercings done on an infant often are not properly placed and as the ears grow become lop-sided and/or not centered properly (unless the person doing the piercing really knows what they are doing). It just isn't worth it to me I guess.

ETA: I also wanted to say that that I have been pierced with a gun (my ears) and with a needle (actually sharpened gold nose ring) and the piercing in my nose was much less painful and healed faster. I will never go back to a gun. going to a piercer, while more expensive, is totally worth it to me.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi

User Tag List