Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What age would you allow this?

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#2 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When they ask for it and don't forget the next second. My dd was 4.
#3 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM

if and when they ask.

two amazing sons & .
#4 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM

I'm waiting until my dd decides herself that she wants her ears pierced. She'll be entering the third grade in the fall, and so far has no desire to have them done.

My other rule is that I want it done by a piercer, and not at a mall. I used to work at a jewelry both at the mall, and you don't even want to hear the horror stories I witnessed while working there. Plus it's not clean, and heals funky. I know many piercing/tattoo shops have an age limit, so it might take some time to find a place to have it done, if she's still on the young side.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#5 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
: my dd is 8 and still dosnt want them. She knows a needle is involved and that is the end of that

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Here's a thread from awhile back with some good comments and food for thought...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1082288
#7 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 AM

My mom said we could when we could prove that we would take care of our ears, and earrings, and keep things put away. I think I was 12 or 13. I'll probably just go for age 12, if I have daughters and if they're even interested. Sort of a coming-of-age ritual?
#8 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 AM

When they ask for it and when they can take care of them properly.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#9 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
When they ask for it and when they can't take care of them properly.
this, but when they CAN take care of them properly!!

Katie
#10 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 AM

I got mine when I was 4, and my mom didn't mind taking care of them for me. Then again, what did she know - I got it done at the mall, they healed funky, and she used hydrogen peroxide on my poor ears and they were always infected. Finally I switched to stainless steel when I was 10 (my idea)(they were gold-plated before) and only used saline solution. Cleared up immediately. Funny when kids know more than parents. 10 perfect piercings later, this is how I feel:

I'd say whenever she wants 'pretty ears'. It's just one more small thing to take care of (and if taken care of properly, the work should end in a few weeks as they heal).
#11 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 AM

My daughter had hers done when she was 2mths old. Dh talked me into it, I wasn't sure. I had mine done at 13 and I remember it very well. I am a wimp and figured I'd rather her have them sooner. I am sure I am the minority here but if we had another girl, I'd opt for having them done early again.

Me (31) & My Soldier (29)
DS 10, DS 6, DD 3, DS 1
#12 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post
I agree with this. My dd was 5 (in kindergarten) when she got her first ear piercing done. She's now 11, and she just had 2nd piercings in her ears, and is taking care of them wonderfully

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#13 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 AM

First off I am 48 years old. When I was a little girl I can remember asking my Mom to pierce my eyes as young as 3, and she refused. I kept asking her at 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Every year the answer was no. She commited suicide when I was 9. That is a whole other story. She had pierced ears, and I could never understand why I could not. So at the age of 10, my dad took me to a Dr. and I had it done. And man did it hurt! It was done with a hypodermic needle, and a cork behind the ear lobe. I love having pierced ears! But I really wish it had been done when I was an infant. Please no flames, that is how I feel. Now I wish I had at least 2 piercings in each ear, but I hate needles.
#14 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 AM

When she asks for it.
#15 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 AM

When and if she asks for it, and I'm reasonably sure she'll take care of it herself. DD is 6, and hasn't shown any interest at all. I wasn't interested myself until puberty, and even that was after my little sister started pushing for it for herself. I loved wearing earrings when I was younger, but rarely bother, anymore. I don't think I'd care if they healed over, except they'd still look funny. My mom was never really into having her ears pierced, either (she did hers when my sister and I did ours). I wouldn't be surprised if dd just isn't interested.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 AM

I agree with pp's, when they're old enough to ask and to take care of them. I wanted to pierce dd's ears when she was a baby (mine were done at like 2 weeks and were ALWAYS infected and nasty, so I let them close), but dh was very against it. Now I'm glad he was because I don't think that even at 6 she's ready to take care of them.

"We submit to the majority because we have to. But we are not compelled to call our attitude of subjection a posture of respect."
Ambrose Bierce 
#17 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 AM

My mother's mother never let here pierce hers. So she did it in college. She swore I would have to wait until I was 18 as well. But after much begging and keeping my room neat as a pin for months straight she took me to get mine pierced at 15 or 16. Looking back, I don't think that was too bad really. I was old enough to take care of them, and at 7 or 8 I probably would not have been, and they would have been infected.

My dd is not old enough to know what it means to have pierced ears now. But I'll probably try and put it off as long as possible with her as well. Not 16, but maybe at least 10. When I know she can take care of them, like others said.
#18 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 AM

DH and I both had to be 13 before we were allowed to be pierced. This is what we have decided for our children as well. We want our children to be able to properly care for any piercing they get (they will get to decide the piercing. . .any nonsexual piercing is okay). Right now we live in a culture where piercing is not the norm so my DD isn't interested yet. At one time I thought small children with piercings were cute, but after seeing so many children in the elementary school I worked in with infected ears (it was the cultural norm where we lived at the time). . .I quickly changed my mind. I also remember once my niece coming to our home for a weekend, she was 3, and her ears were so badly infected. DH cleaned the earrings, her holes, and really tried to help clear it up (we both have piercings so we know how to care for them). Part of the reason was that her parents bought cutesy cheap earrings, didn't have time to properly care for her ears. . .blech!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#19 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 AM

If they want them, about five.

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#20 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM

My twins are 3 and want it done. I told them that we will re-think it when they were 4. I want them to understand that it will hurt and they need to take care of them. I was 4 when I had my first ones done so I can't really tell them no after that

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#21 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

i wasn't allowed until i was 10--when i was sure i wanted to do it, and i could care for my ears myself. we will handle our dd the same.

dd 10.06joy.gif
#22 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I let my dd do it at six. I talked to her about the pain involved and this didn't stop her from wanting it done for months on end so we had it done. I had mine done when I was six as well.
#23 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 PM

11 or 12. I'm with the pp about the "rite of passage" thing. I remember having stick-on earrings for a long time. My parents let me in sixth grade and I remember it felt like a rite of passage.
#24 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM

We did dd's at age 5, the summer before she started school. She had expressed an interest for well over a year. She was capable of conprehending the process, and understood that they would need to heal after, but I did help her with them.

In fact, she's nearly 8, and I still do help her occasionally. She had one catch on something a couple months ago, and it injured the piercing, but I didn't catch it right away (I also didn't listen to her closely enough when she expressed that it was itchy- bad Mom moment!) She developed a pretty icky infection, and we had to do some cleaning and close followup for a couple weeks as that healed. I also changed her to small continuous hoops so there wasn't anywhere for the pus to collect while the infection was controlled. She isn't capable of doing everything herself yet, but she is capable of understanding and participating in the care, which is all I really expect.

She can change them herself, but will usually ask me to do it for her. All in all- it worked out well for us, and the one injury was the only bump we've had in the road in nearly 3 years.
#25 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM

When the ask and can prove they are responsible for the upkeep of having pierced ears.

Wife to G, mommy to dd1 (99), dd2 (07), dd3 (09)
Three beautiful girls. How did I get so very lucky?:
#26 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Dd and I were talking about this just last weekend because I got a pair of earrings for my birthday (a late present).

I described the process and I asked HER when she thought kids were old enough to take care of pierced ears. Her answer: 16!

I think we'll allow it before 16 IF she wants. I was 10, and I think that 8-10 is a reasonable age to be able to care for your own ears.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#27 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 PM

My Grandmother did not get her ears pierced until I was about 15 years old, because it was not culturally exceptable to have them done when she was young. She finally decided she was ready but scared, and though she thought it hurt she was thrilled she finally got them done. My Mom had her's done by a Doctor (who got them crooked) when she was a teenager.

I started asking at 3 years old, my Mom made me wait though until I was 5 years old. I had to take care of them myself. When I proved myself she also gifted me a pair of real gold hoops, which seemed a HUGE deal at the time. I had no issues.

I am having a boy so I get to put this off for longer, but I still keep going back and forth between doing the piercing as an infant or until they ask, both have pros and cons for myself. But I do so agree with the PP who said that would not get their child's ears pierced at the Mall. I would NEVER do this. I have first hand seen the training and lack of hygeine, I would go to a piercer or Doctor only.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#28 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

When they are able to take care of them themselves!
#29 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

When they want it and when they can take care of it themselves.

I got mine done when I was 6. I probably wore earrings up through middle school and then I let them close. I got them re-pierced in college and now put in earrings every so often so my holes don't completely close again.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#30 of 104 Old 06-08-2009, 05:15 PM

I guess I'm definitely in the minority here. I had both of my girls' done at about 5-6 months. Never had a real issue with either of them. My younger dd had one that got just barely infected, but I caught it early and it cleared up in a matter of days. I do make sure to either keep good gold or surgical steel in them at all times. Elise (she's 1) hasn't messed with her's at all yet. Audrey (6 y) has developed a tendency to fiddle with them....just as a nervous habit or something. I switched her's to hoops just so that she doesn't lose anymore earrings. lol
I think I was 4 or so when I had my ears done, and I remember it vividly. Neither of them will remember it.

Nicole

Nicole

Nicole, mom to three awesome kids A(3/03), G(4/06), and E(5/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page