Hot Sauce in child's mouth as a punishment??! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who's parents would out Tabasco sauce in her mouth whenever she talked back or said something they didn't like, starting at around age 3 (she's not totally sure).

That is child abuse, right?? Has anyone ever heard of this before??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 AM

100% child abuse!

If someone reported her to DFCS (or whatever it is in the area), they would investigate and they would very likely have their kids taken away, even if temporarily.

Me (31) & My Soldier (29)
DS 10, DS 6, DD 3, DS 1
Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 AM

I have heard of this. I do believe it is child abuse, but I'm afraid my beliefs are in the minority. Where I grew up in Texas, they were still paddling school kids, when my nieces were in high school 10 years ago. In some places, abuse is defined as physical punishment that leaves marks.
I, personally, believe it is wrong to inflict pain, and I believe it is abusive to intentionally inflict pain on a child. Sadly, I don't think the world agrees with me.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotopaxi View Post
I have heard of this before. Someone I knew casually online does it, and the reaction from the rest of the group was "oh good idea; sounds better than soap." SIGH.
Brutal, on one of the mainstream board several applauded giving black pepper to a 20 month old as punishment for hitting.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM

Yep, heard of it, it was pretty popular where I grew up, but then again, so was winging a shoe at a saucy kid. :

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 AM

Heard of it, I think it's horribly cruel. Nevermind the fact that food should not be used as a punishment, it's just wrong to inflict pain on your children on purpose.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 AM

hmm I can't believe it works...my siblings love hot sauce/spicy food.

Just being lighthearted b/c it really creeps me to think parents can do this and still sleep at night... weird.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan3 View Post
Brutal, on one of the mainstream board several applauded giving black pepper to a 20 month old as punishment for hitting.
this doesnt even make sense. i mean at least i can see the (faulty) logic behind soap and pepper or w/e for talking back.

every time i come across this i tell them that nanny 911 is very against that. for some reason that has more of an effect then telling them i think their parenting methods are cruel. go figure
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Girl View Post
Heard of it, I think it's horribly cruel. Nevermind the fact that food should not be used as a punishment, it's just wrong to inflict pain on your children on purpose.
: way to give your kid freaky food issues.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM

It is abusive and cruel. It is also 100% legal and widely accepted as a good parenting technique. Some people even argue that it's somehow better than spanking.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 AM

DH's parents did it to him and his siblings. It backfired with his one sister because she loved spicy spicy hot so she'd be naughty just to get some cayenne pepper on her tongue...

It drives me nuts that they did this because now DH is very wary regarding spicy food, and I love to cook spicy things! Um, not to mention how awful it is to use food as a punishment. Argh.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Elsa View Post
It is abusive and cruel. It is also 100% legal and widely accepted as a good parenting technique. Some people even argue that it's somehow better than spanking.
When we did our foster parenting in Jacksonville, FL, it was made clear to us that this was not acceptable. However, spanking IS legal as long as it is done with a hand and an object isn't used. (it's not ok to spank a foster child though, just to make that clear)

Me (31) & My Soldier (29)
DS 10, DS 6, DD 3, DS 1
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 AM

I once had someone advise me to do that with toddlers when they say "no". So...yeah - I've heard of it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Was done at an in-home day care where I worked to a 5 year old for picking his nose. Umm, I don't work there any more. Wonder why.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
DH's parents did it to him and his siblings. It backfired with his one sister because she loved spicy spicy hot so she'd be naughty just to get some cayenne pepper on her tongue...
i know someone who tried it to stop her 3yo from sucking her thumb.... she liked it so much she started sucking it off and asking for more

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post

It drives me nuts that they did this because now DH is very wary regarding spicy food, and I love to cook spicy things! Um, not to mention how awful it is to use food as a punishment. Argh.
I love spicy foods and so does DH. So, I also cook a lot of spicy things. And ditto--food should not be used as punishment.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 AM

i would never do it, but my parents did it to get me to stop sucking on my fingers.

two amazing sons & .
Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Elsa View Post
I tend to agree with this. There is one mom on my street who does tobasco and/or soap, depending on the offense. I remember getting my mouth washed out with soap when I was maybe 5 or 6 for tattling.

BTW, we're in Jax too.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
i would never do it, but my parents did it to get me to stop sucking on my fingers.
I personally wouldn't do it, but I can see someone attempting it as a remedy for thumb/finger sucking or nail biting far more than I can see it for using words.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I personally wouldn't do it, but I can see someone attempting it as a remedy for thumb/finger sucking or nail biting far more than I can see it for using words.
i don't know if they actually put it on my fingers or just pretended to. i was too scared to check!

two amazing sons & .
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 AM

This upsets me so much whenever I hear of it. I am SO sensitive to spicy foods even Taco Bell burns my mouth. If this had been done to me I can't imagine
Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
i don't know if they actually put it on my fingers or just pretended to. i was too scared to check!
I probably would have been, too. I hated hot foods most of my life, and the idea of getting straight hot sauce in my mouth would have probably been traumatizing all by itself.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 AM

Food as a punishment scares me, as does choosing to inflict pain on a child... but it's pretty widely accepted as 'good parenting' around here.

That said, I suspect it would backfire with my youngest (almost 11 months). I had some creole tomato soup today that I found spicy- and I LOVE spicy- and after he insisted on tasting it, he demanded more. He also likes really spicy curry, and Schezuan foods. I stopped worrying about it a few weeks ago, as I've realized that his 'child led weaning' involves eating anything I wouldn't think to offer him....
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 AM

I've heard of this too. It seems to be pretty universal along with soap, unfortunately. Now, I went to school oversees and one boy's dad used to make him stand on his knees in salt as punishment. I can't even imagine.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I have a friend who's parents would out Tabasco sauce in her mouth whenever she talked back or said something they didn't like, starting at around age 3 (she's not totally sure).

That is child abuse, right?? Has anyone ever heard of this before??
I've heard of it.
I think it goes along the lines of washing a child's mouth out with soap if they swear.

I don't understand the thinking behind it. It won't cause your child to respect you on the inside. You might get surface obedience while you are within ear shot but that's it.
What happens if the child doesn't hate hot sauce? Lots of people like it and put it in their mouths on purpose.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
I've heard of it.
I think it goes along the lines of washing a child's mouth out with soap if they swear.

I don't understand the thinking behind it. It won't cause your child to respect you on the inside. You might get surface obedience while you are within ear shot but that's it.
What happens if the child doesn't hate hot sauce? Lots of people like it and put it in their mouths on purpose.
Bolding mine. I had my mouth washed out with soap for swearing when I was about 7 or 8. It was awful and I learned never to swear again...around my parents. Didn't stop me anywhere else and I didn't learn any useful life skills from the incident. An explanation of appropriate vocabulary would've been more helpful.

I imagine hot sauce is a similar experience for the children upon whom it is inflicted. I like spicy stuff now, but as a kid the hot sauce would've been worse than the soap. I can't imagine doing that to a child. : How do you look your kids in the eye after that?

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Hot sauce is so mean to punish a child with ....How could someone do that? This is child abuse.I am sure its even more painful for a toddler/child then a adult and that stuff is pretty darn hot for me:

Soap is a little weird also I have never understood why people did that?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafina View Post
Soap is a little weird also I have never understood why people did that?
quite literally, washing the mouth out of naughty words.

two amazing sons & .
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lisa Whelchel reccomends hot saucing in her book Creative Correction calling it"spanking her kids tongues. :
It is absoultly abuse it can cause swlling of the throat buring of the membranes it can cause allegeric reactions in young kids vomiting nausea. Honestly I'd rather the parents give there bum a swat that risk the tobbaco (assuming I HAD to choose ).
Even the makers of thre tobasco brand sauce have spoken agains t this practice....
Now saying all that my DD will drink a botle straight if you let her

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

User Tag List