S/O of the lying thread~ Santa and other cultural myths, who purposely doesn't do them? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
Yeah and the brown shoes are ugly. It's not about sugarcoating, and Santa does exist to me.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj View Post
The idea of Santa may originate from religion and revolve around a religious holiday, however, now the idea is secular. Which religious groups preach about Santa?

You're claim might ring true if everyone was connected to a religion.
I only used religion to illustrate how the term "lying" can be offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I can't imagine, as I'm not religious. I'd probably feel that the person saying that was wrong, didn't know what they were talking about, and had no life. (Hanging around outside a place of worship, to accuse the faithful of lying? Sad.)

However, as I've said more than once, there's a big difference between religion and playing Santa - belief. I have no idea if there's one true religion, because I don't believe in any of them. I don't believe in any god, goddess or other higher power of any kind, either. But, someone who does believe in a God, or a particular view of God, and teaches that to their children (or congregation) is not lying. Maybe they're mistaken (I definitely don't claim to be all-knowing), but they're not lying. (My mom told me that if I chewed gum, it would stay in my stomach for some ridiculous amount of time. She wasn't lying - she was wrong. Dishonest and mistaken aren't the same thing.) And, maybe they're right. What do I know?

This just makes me laugh. I've almost certainly been the most outspoken proponent of "telling kids that Santa brings presents is a lie" on this thread. I don't see how I'm being righteous, in any way. I lie to my kids about this, even though I don't generally agree with lying to one's kids. With respect to "righteousness", I don't have a leg to stand on. But, it is what it is.
In my opinion, if someone believes something and has no physical proof to back themselves up, that person is lying in spreading said belief. And the thing is - I don't really care. I don't have proof that God exists, but I believe he does and I tell my children as much. If someone told me I was lying to them, I would be offended.

Just as I am offended by the, "I don't lie to my kids" comments. And I have a hard time believing that the non-lying parents never, ever tell their kids even a white fib.

Oh, and for the record, I believe in fairies.for.real. I saw one when I was a child.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List