Feeling so sorry for men today -- Vent - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what a terrifying situation to all involved

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
 
MayBaby2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post

I'm also a little sorry for the mom who was so fearful that she was behaving in this wildly inappropriate way, although if her fears are that extreme I think maybe she should be seeing a counselor, if she isn't already doing that.
Why do people automatically diagnose people and think they need couseling when they're suspect/leary of the opposite sex? It's possible there is nothing at all wrong with this woman--never a bad encounter with a man, etc. It's possible that she's just watched/read the news and talk shows like Phil and Oprah. The news and talk shows are reason enough to be suspect of men around children. It's not her fault. It's what society decides to broadcast....and the predators that DO exsist. There are evil people out there. You can't just look at someone and tell if they're a good person or a bad person. Husbands/fathers do rape and molest. That is a sad fact. I don't think it's bizzare in the least for mother's to be "on alert".

I don't think the woman should have yelled out "did he TOUCH you?" for everyone to hear, but I do understand where she's coming from. Like a pp said, if I was that concerned about my son in the men's room I would call in and wait for it to be empty before I sent my son inside. If he was in there for too long with another man I would have called him outside to wait.

I don't think the people at the waterpark thought your DH was a predator. They watch Oprah/Phil/news like most of the world. Most of the world knows what kind of evil people/doings exsist. You can't be too careful when it comes to your kids.
MayBaby2007 is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
 
philomom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 9,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom View Post
They still need hugs and every other day type touches. Dads out of fear and hold them back can make dd feel unloved. Many times girls need this type of attention more at this age and less hurts.
I agree with this. My own dad got very stiff with us after puberty... it made my sis and I feel bad.
philomom is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
 
TCMoulton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Why do people automatically diagnose people and think they need couseling when they're suspect/leary of the opposite sex?
Because honestly the behavior displayed by that mom in the OP was not at all normal nor was it appropriate.
TCMoulton is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Why do people automatically diagnose people and think they need couseling when they're suspect/leary of the opposite sex?
Because, it's not normal to freak out about a man leaving a men's restroom, just because one's son is in there. Being that suspicious of someone, simply because they happened to be in the same room as one's child, is not normal behaviour.

Quote:
It's possible there is nothing at all wrong with this woman--never a bad encounter with a man, etc. It's possible that she's just watched/read the news and talk shows like Phil and Oprah. The news and talk shows are reason enough to be suspect of men around children. It's not her fault. It's what society decides to broadcast....and the predators that DO exsist. There are evil people out there. You can't just look at someone and tell if they're a good person or a bad person. Husbands/fathers do rape and molest. That is a sad fact. I don't think it's bizzare in the least for mother's to be "on alert".

I don't think the woman should have yelled out "did he TOUCH you?" for everyone to hear, but I do understand where she's coming from. Like a pp said, if I was that concerned about my son in the men's room I would call in and wait for it to be empty before I sent my son inside. If he was in there for too long with another man I would have called him outside to wait.
I don't understand where she was coming from, and her behaviour was irrational and unfair. Before she makes such nasty comments about someone, just for having a penis and needing to empty his bladder, she might want to think about the fact that her son also has a penis. I don't think she'd much like it if someone reacted that way to her son using the bathroom, yk?

Being "on alert" is one thing. All that happened here is that this woman - who is apparently really freaked out about pedophiles - sent her son into a men's room, and a while later, a man walked out of said men's room. We cannot be that paranoid, and still function as a society. People need to be able to pee, without being accused of being perverts.

I'm honestly boggled that this woman even let her son go in there, if she's that freaked out.

Quote:
You can't be too careful when it comes to your kids.
I disagree. This is too "careful". I can't help but wonder how a boy feels growing up with someone who apparently equates having a penis to being a predator. If she's that concerned, she needs to find a better way to handle it than making barely-veiled accusations of pedophilia in a public place.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
 
MayBaby2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Because honestly the behavior displayed by that mom in the OP was not at all normal nor was it appropriate.
According to you and others who feel the same way. Unless something is written in the law book, nobody is right or wrong when it comes to other issues--spanking, CIO, co-sleeping, etc.

That mother did what she felt she needed to do to protect her child. Maybe the OP's husband seemed creepy to her. Maybe her gut told her to ask that question.

If an MDC mama came on here and said:

"We went to the water park and DS had to go to the bathroom. I sent him into the men's room by himself. He was in there for an awfully long time. I kept asking if he was okay and he said he was. Out of nowhere, a man walked out. I didn't think anyone was in there. It scared me. I yelled out the DS "did someone touch you?" to which he replied "no".

I think I embarrassed the guy and I feel really bad! But the vibe I got told me something wasn't right. I had a really bad feeling in my stomach and I called out to my son. It was a horrible experience. I feel really bad and need a hug. What would you have done?"

The responses might be a mix of "you were wrong" and "you were right" but I think it's safe to say that many responses would be "you were just following your gut. You always listen to your gut."

Nobody is right or wrong according to us. We all do what we feel we need to do
MayBaby2007 is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Why do people automatically diagnose people and think they need couseling when they're suspect/leary of the opposite sex? It's possible there is nothing at all wrong with this woman--never a bad encounter with a man, etc. It's possible that she's just watched/read the news and talk shows like Phil and Oprah. The news and talk shows are reason enough to be suspect of men around children. It's not her fault. It's what society decides to broadcast....and the predators that DO exsist. There are evil people out there. You can't just look at someone and tell if they're a good person or a bad person. Husbands/fathers do rape and molest. That is a sad fact. I don't think it's bizzare in the least for mother's to be "on alert".

I don't think the woman should have yelled out "did he TOUCH you?" for everyone to hear, but I do understand where she's coming from. Like a pp said, if I was that concerned about my son in the men's room I would call in and wait for it to be empty before I sent my son inside. If he was in there for too long with another man I would have called him outside to wait.

I don't think the people at the waterpark thought your DH was a predator. They watch Oprah/Phil/news like most of the world. Most of the world knows what kind of evil people/doings exsist. You can't be too careful when it comes to your kids.
Yikes! You certainly CAN be too careful...if you are feeding your kids on a steady stream of Dr. Phil and Oprah-induced fear maybe its time to turn off the noisy-box and read a good book. Hmmm...maybe I am more nonchalant about this kind of thing because I do not own a television. Media exacerbates an inappropriate culture of fear IMO.

Besides IRL so-called "evil" people are not all men. Predators come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and genders. Yet women are simply not seen with the same social suspicion.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
 
choli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
"We went to the water park and DS had to go to the bathroom. I sent him into the men's room by himself. He was in there for an awfully long time. I kept asking if he was okay and he said he was. Out of nowhere, a man walked out. I didn't think anyone was in there. It scared me. I yelled out the DS "did someone touch you?" to which he replied "no".
This is the point. Being scared by a man using and exiting the men's bathroom is a gross overreaction, and implying that his very presence in the bathroom is suspect is unfair and paranoid.
choli is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Nobody is right or wrong according to us. We all do what we feel we need to do
Uh... nobody, really?

No this mom's behavior was irrational.
Quote:
"We went to the water park and DS had to go to the bathroom. I sent him into the men's room by himself. He was in there for an awfully long time. I kept asking if he was okay and he said he was. Out of nowhere, a man walked out. I didn't think anyone was in there. It scared me. I yelled out the DS "did someone touch you?" to which he replied "no".
I would say "it's a public restroom why did you expect to know how many people were in there? Of course there were probably others there. And why ask if someone touched him? Simply because someone was utilizing a public restroom?"

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
This is the point. Being scared by a man using and exiting the men's bathroom is a gross overreaction, and implying that his very presence in the bathroom is suspect is unfair and paranoid.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
According to you and others who feel the same way. Unless something is written in the law book, nobody is right or wrong when it comes to other issues--spanking, CIO, co-sleeping, etc.

That mother did what she felt she needed to do to protect her child. Maybe the OP's husband seemed creepy to her. Maybe her gut told her to ask that question.

If an MDC mama came on here and said:

"We went to the water park and DS had to go to the bathroom. I sent him into the men's room by himself. He was in there for an awfully long time. I kept asking if he was okay and he said he was. Out of nowhere, a man walked out. I didn't think anyone was in there. It scared me. I yelled out the DS "did someone touch you?" to which he replied "no".

I think I embarrassed the guy and I feel really bad! But the vibe I got told me something wasn't right. I had a really bad feeling in my stomach and I called out to my son. It was a horrible experience. I feel really bad and need a hug. What would you have done?"

The responses might be a mix of "you were wrong" and "you were right" but I think it's safe to say that many responses would be "you were just following your gut. You always listen to your gut."

Nobody is right or wrong according to us. We all do what we feel we need to do
Yes. I think people should listen to their guts. However, I would still find the OP's scenario totally bizarre, even from the mother's side. The "I yelled out to ds "did someone touch you?" part of it is just totally off. If I were worried, I'd go in there.

As for the "I kept asking if he was okay"? Again - really off. If you're worried, ask what's taking so long, or call him back and talk to him. Standing there asking repeatedly if he's okay isn't going to accomplish anything. She obviously didn't think she could trust the response, for whatever reason, so why bother asking? (I'm not blaming her for not trusting the response. If she really thought the OP's dh was a pervert, maybe she thought he had a knife or something. Who knows? But, if she doesn't feel that standing outside, repeatedly saying, "are you okay?" accomplishes anything, there's not much point in doing it.)

And, yes - it's still wrong to publicly accuse someone of being a pervert, because he was using a bathroom. We can split hairs over whether or not it was an accusation, but she was definitely expressing suspicion, based on nothing but his gender, in a very public way. When we get to an "OMG - did someone (obviously meaning a specific person) touch you?" simply because a man walks out of a men's bathroom, things are going haywire. The people in the picnic area don't know that the only reason she said it was because he was in the bathroom at the same time as her son...and many, many people subscribe to the ridiculous notion that "where there's smoke, there's fire".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 25,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
This is the point. Being scared by a man using and exiting the men's bathroom is a gross overreaction, and implying that his very presence in the bathroom is suspect is unfair and paranoid.
Or...I could have just said this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no problem with following one's gut and I often find it is rarely wrong. However if mom got a feeling something was off don't you think she would have just walked in? I would have. If I felt like something was a miss I would have been in that bathroom so quick it'd make your head spin.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
 
junie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CANADA
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
According to you and others who feel the same way. Unless something is written in the law book, nobody is right or wrong when it comes to other issues--spanking, CIO, co-sleeping, etc.
Okay, this might be a bit off topic, but this comment rubbed me the wrong way. Just because something is "written in the law book" does NOT make it right. Slavery used to be legal. It was NEVER right. A husband used to be legally allowed to rape and beat his wife. This was NEVER right. Law does not equal right. A lot of things that are legal should not be legal, and many things that aren't legal (same-sex marriage comes to mind) SHOULD be legal. In the examples you list above, two of them are abuse (spanking and CIO). Yes they're legal, but that doesn't make them right.

I think I get what you're saying. We all have our own opinions of right and wrong, and none of us should judge others. Is that it? I somewhat agree with this, but without "judging" others, people would never be held accountable for their actions, and things like slavery, spousal abuse etc. would never have become illegal. Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating going around and judging everyone for every little thing. I just think it's dangerous to take the attitude that we should never call someone else out on their behaviour, if we think it's wrong (regardless of what the law says). I could be completely misreading your post, though. If I am, I apologize.

Alyson: loving wife to Iain; unschooling mom to Abby (8) and Caleb (5). Also pro
junie is offline  
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM
 
mamazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: US midwest
Posts: 7,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
Out of nowhere, a man walked out.
It wasn't out of nowhere. It was out of the men's room. It is irrational to be that shocked that a man would be in the men's room and to respond in that way. I don't doubt that she had her reasons for behaving irrationally, but that was not a normal response. If she really did think her son was being molested, the rational response would have been to run in. No mom who was thinking rationally would sit there on the other side of a door from where she thought her child was being hurt and wonder how long it would take and when he would come out.

I don't think she's a bad person, but I do think she behaved in an irrational manner, probably prompted by some bad experience. It's just a sad thing for everyone. I don't think there's anything that can be done to solve this kind of problem. You can't force people to behave in a rational manner at all times, or put aside their experiences and fears, because people don't do these things on purpose. Unfortunate things happen.
mamazee is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 AM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 8,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
It wasn't out of nowhere. It was out of the men's room. It is irrational to be that shocked that a man would be in the men's room and to respond in that way.
Yeah, I can't understand being surprised by a man leaving the mens room.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 AM
 
Breeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
<snip>
There's really no difference in "are you okay" and "did someone touch you" other than directness. Yes, "are you okay" can refer to any problem the child was having, but he easily could've said "yes, this guy is trying to touch my penis." Yeah, that could've happened as a result of the question "are you okay," but it didn't. The actual rate of false accusations of sexual abuse is extremely low, and I think urban legends are influencing the fear about false accusations.<snip>
Bolding mine...

Hold the train, let's back up a bit. Yes there most certainly IS a difference between "Did someone touch you?" and "Are you ok?" The biggest one being, yelling "Are you ok?" doesn't imply anything about anyone else. Secondarily, it keeps you from looking like someone who lacks the control to deal with everyday public situations.

I AM a survivor of abuse.

I understand that fear is a very real thing.

If I really thought someone was attacking my child (boy OR girl), I wouldn't be hollering at the door - I'd be barging right in.

Saying things that re-enforce her belief that men are all potential predators is wrong.

Going about saying things that project her belief that every man is a potential attacker is harmful for this woman, it is harmful for her son and it is harmful for society.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Breeder is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 AM
 
siobhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and in addition, while the woman's accusation may not have had any legal weight to it, the potential damage to a man's reputation is enormous. What if Mammal_mama's dh knew one of the people in the park? What if a neighbor or other aquaintance had been in view of the situation?

Accusations of pedophilia tend to take on a life of their own - guilty until proven innocent, only you can never really prove yourself innocent once an accusation is made. While CPS and the law may do nothing about the accusation, lives have been ruined by slander.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
siobhang is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She should've told her ds that if he had to wait he should come back out to her. (Like Jenn said. )

ETA: There were men in their group? Then one of them should've taken the kid.
sapphire_chan is offline  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhang View Post
and in addition, while the woman's accusation may not have had any legal weight to it, the potential damage to a man's reputation is enormous. What if Mammal_mama's dh knew one of the people in the park? What if a neighbor or other aquaintance had been in view of the situation?

Accusations of pedophilia tend to take on a life of their own - guilty until proven innocent,
only you can never really prove yourself innocent once an accusation is made. While CPS and the law may do nothing about the accusation, lives have been ruined by slander.
This is sadly very true.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off