Anyone let their toddler run around in stores? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 182 Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
 
KirstenMary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionainne View Post
No, my kids are not allowed to run around a store. They know they always have to be where I can see them, and they me. This rule cuts out 95% of the running around. The other 5% of the time if they act up, I will leave the store. Sometimes we hang around outside and come back in if I feel we've come to an understanding, other times we just leave empty-handed. They are 5 and 3 yo.
YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! (I have 5, 3, and 2.5 months)

Not allowing kids to run around is not tantamount to having our kids shackled to the cart for an entire shopping trip. I expect my kids to treat the store, the other customers, and the contents with respect. If they don't we leave.

And please don't think that my kids are in any way perfect angles. Yesterday, we took the three of them to the hardware store to get some screws for some swing set anchors. There are many dangerous things in the store, and the aisles are very narrow, so it was my way (in the cart) or the highway (in the van). My oldest was fantastic, but my three year old was a nightmare - so out we went (with the baby). She screamed the entire way out (and boy did I get many for taking her out), and she yelled even more so when I put her in her seat and buckled her up. But thems the rules (yep, and I make them). I am her parent and not her friend, and as far as I am concerned, this was a VERY valuable learning experience. She learned that if she cannot behave appropriately, she will be removed. Period.

ETA: The 5 y/o stayed in the store to shop with Daddy.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
KirstenMary is offline  
#182 of 182 Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Teenytoona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee79 View Post
I'm thinking there are two different trains of t hought going on here. Actual RUNNING around willy-nilly and walking near mama. I'm in the walking near mama camp.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Yes. And there is a difference between quietly exploring with a parent watching and running around and tearing up things. My child would scream bloody murder until she was 2.5 if I ever put her in a shopping cart (or a sling!) so I felt it would be more considerate to others and interesting for dd if she had her freedom.
Yeah I'm noticing DD has this problem as well. She really wants to get out and see what's there, which usually means attempts to touch and see everything she can, not so much running around. So long as she keeps holding my hand, I usually can direct her around the store. But lordy, in the cart would be so much easier.

signature currently in transition
Teenytoona is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off