Do people in our generation care about weed? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned
 
olina009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so if it's not clear by "our" generation I mean generation Y and to give that some perspective I'm 22 at the moment, though I imagine generation X is relatively similar in beliefs and political leanings.

But I never talk to anyone my age or even a bit older who supports the continued illegalization of marijuana; most of them when pressed can articulate the basic pragmatic issues, which is amazing given our peers' ability to speak intelligently about any issue whatsoever. I know people who are pro-life, against gay marriage, I even know a couple of creationists, but I don't know a single person my age who believes we should continue throwing potheads and dealers in jail.

Do you guys know anyone in their early to mid twenties who doesn't support the legalization of marijuana?
olina009 is offline  
#2 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM
 
VisionaryMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm barely in my 20s anymore (just turned 29), but neither DH nor I think marijuana should be illegal. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure of anyone our age who does feel that way. In Kentucky, it's actually been a big political issue in recent years as we had a candidate for governor who believes we should try to be the first state to legalize marijuana completely to capitalize on the economic benefits.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
VisionaryMom is offline  
#3 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 AM
 
mistymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 32, but know a very wide range of people, including my younger sisters and all of their friends who are now in their mid-twenties. I don't know a single person that thinks mj should still be illegal.

I'll also add that there is a real stigma attached to those that partake - and an very unfair one. So most people that do keep it really hush-hush. I've discovered that many of the people I know smoke, but keep it very quiet.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

mistymama is offline  
#4 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
 
mommysarah5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im surprised its still illegal. I think it hurts us more then it helps us to have those things illegal. Turning more people into "criminals" then there needs to be and tying up resources. I would prefer my tax dollars go to find murderers, rapists, child abductors and molesters, etc. not to marijuana related "crimes"
mommysarah5 is offline  
#5 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
 
genifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In a land, far far away...
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I cant understand why its illegal. Imho it isnt even remotely as dangerous as alcohol. the only reason I believe its illegal still is bc it is so easily grown and the government cannot make enough money on it/control it enough. I do think its a dangerous drug if its abused and over used, it is addictive, tho not physically. I know people who use it heavily and they go thru some kind of withdrawl when trying to come off it. These people use it regularly, habitually. Im 32 btw. Keeping it illegal has not caused anyone to stay away from it thats for sure.
genifer is offline  
#6 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
 
BroodyWoodsgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As my travels and dealings in natural parenting circles have become more indepth and varied...I'm astounded (the good kind) by the number of people who are recreational smokers....doctors, lawyers, artists, chefs, SAHMs, SAHDs....and since noticing that...I see it everywhere in my life...not even confined to those who prescribe to a "natural" lifestyle. I mean, really "normal" people, with nice homes and great lawns...good marriages, who go to tupperware parties and are memebers of the PTA, really active in local going-ons and you know, who like, wear makeup and shave their armpits! I really have come to see, that a LOT of people smoke!

I think if every smoker in the States, stood up all at once and said "Enough with this" it would be ridiculous to continue to pretend that MJ is some scary, underworld, shadowy danger that needs to be squashed out. Some of the best, brightest and most capable parents I know...are out on their decks, "unwinding" after their kids go to bed...and I was SHOCKED to discover this! I don't know why...but I was.

So...yeah. I don't know many people PERIOD who truly believe it should be illegal..and I'm up in conservative NH! What kills me, is the number of lives I've seen destroyed, bodies wrecked, homes split apart...by excessive alcohol use. Now...I've also, in my youth, known a kid or two who had REALLY checked out parents and I sometimes wonder if they weren't gigantic potheads...so, you know, anything in excessive amounts I think can make you a crummy parent....but alcohol, it's SOOO bad. I can remember being on college campuses and seeing all these kids, SUPER pumped on alcohol, fighting, vandelizing, getting rough with their girlfriends...I wonder now, if those kids had been relaxing, smoking MJ, would it have been like that? The fact is, most people I know who partake, are not excessive users...they are people who smoke when they hike and fish...or in the evenings after small people are tucked in...or whenever else. I haven't known anyone, since I was much younger, who NEEDED to smoke to function...it just blows me away that something so potent, which KILLS so many people a year, as alcohol, would be so easy to legally get your hands on....and something like pot, which I consider to be, comparably, not anywhere near as dangerous, could be illegal?? I mean, that, and the MEDICINAL uses for MJ....man, how CRAZY that something which is proven to be helpful to sick people, dying people, women with horrible sickness due to pregnancy, etc could be called "bad" and made illegal?

But I guess when the [sarcasm]Good Ole Gov't of the USA[/sarcasm] gets around to figuring out the tax code for MJ and thinks up some really awesome regulations, permit fees, etc....people can puff in peace.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

BroodyWoodsgal is offline  
#7 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM
 
sapphire_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've yet to hear anyone other than a politician say anything about needing to keep MJ illegal, and the few times I've seen a politician make a statement about that, they've been speaking in response to a pro-legalization argument.
sapphire_chan is offline  
#8 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 AM
 
BroodyWoodsgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I've yet to hear anyone other than a politician say anything about needing to keep MJ illegal, and the few times I've seen a politician make a statement about that, they've been speaking in response to a pro-legalization argument.
I know a few politicians who speak out about it from the heart...and who aren't ashamed to say that they think it's time to start re-evaluating our true goals in keeping it illegal, especially for medicinal purposes....and even a small feeew politicians for whom the issue, *ahem*, "hits" a bit closer to home...

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

BroodyWoodsgal is offline  
#9 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Evergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Where all the women are strong
Posts: 5,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm only 28 so I'll play. I'm very conservative and kind of anti-mj. I'll explain- I don't like the idea of smoking anything, I don't want smoke around my kids or my family, and I do think it has health and mental health repercussions.

I DO NOT think it should be illegal though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Evergreen is offline  
#10 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM
 
chirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
even the most socially conservative person i know is not against cannibus. he isn't going to win any battles for pro-legalization folks...but he just feels that gov't shouldn't interfere with personal decisions, and that includes alcohol for him.

the most economically conservative person i know thinks that cannibus SHOULD be legalized so that companies can make $$. to him it's criminalization was just one capitalist using government to out compete another.

my own father though, thinks mj should remain illegal. he was a police officer for about 20 years and is one of those guys who thinks that laws are not "faulty" and should not be reexamined. MJ has been and is illegal for a reason, in his eyes. And the people who use it have no respect for authority, which to him should be a crime in itself. i imagine that there are other people like him. i just don't know them since we don't share many of the same circles.

eta: i am 27. First example is 37, second is 25, third is 68.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
chirp is offline  
#11 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
 
BroodyWoodsgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
even the most socially conservative person i know is not against cannibus. he isn't going to win any battles for pro-legalization folks...but he just feels that gov't shouldn't interfere with personal decisions, and that includes alcohol for him.

the most economically conservative person i know thinks that cannibus SHOULD be legalized so that companies can make $$. to him it's criminalization was just one capitalist using government to out compete another.

my own father though, thinks mj should remain illegal. he was a police officer for about 20 years and is one of those guys who thinks that laws are not "faulty" and should not be reexamined. MJ has been and is illegal for a reason, in his eyes. And the people who use it have no respect for authority, which to him should be a crime in itself. i imagine that there are other people like him. i just don't know them since we don't share many of the same circles.
My bolded = the type of thoughts which keep me up at night. No disrespect to your father....but that scares the crap outta me.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

BroodyWoodsgal is offline  
#12 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 AM
 
EarthMommy80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
even the most socially conservative person i know is not against cannibus. he isn't going to win any battles for pro-legalization folks...but he just feels that gov't shouldn't interfere with personal decisions, and that includes alcohol for him.

the most economically conservative person i know thinks that cannibus SHOULD be legalized so that companies can make $$. to him it's criminalization was just one capitalist using government to out compete another.

my own father though, thinks mj should remain illegal. he was a police officer for about 20 years and is one of those guys who thinks that laws are not "faulty" and should not be reexamined. MJ has been and is illegal for a reason, in his eyes. And the people who use it have no respect for authority, which to him should be a crime in itself. i imagine that there are other people like him. i just don't know them since we don't share many of the same circles.

eta: i am 27. First example is 37, second is 25, third is 68.
I am 29 and have a 30 yo coworker who is a police officer. She is very anti-mj. It definately stems from the things she sees on duty due to large scale drug dealers. The thing is that most of them that are big hot shot dealers are not only dealing in mj. She once made a comment about how mj kills children and she has seen it... the reality is, people kill people, mj does not! If it were legal, it would be regulated and all those terrible "dealers" would be cut out of the circle eventually... but, the crime would still continue, because they will just find another illegal drug to profit off of.

I am obviously pro-legalization!!!

All my friends and family, younger and older, agree that it should be legal for, at the very least, medicinal use.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

EarthMommy80 is offline  
#13 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
 
chirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
My bolded = the type of thoughts which keep me up at night. No disrespect to your father....but that scares the crap outta me.
hey...it scares the crap out of me too. i love him but i give his point of view no respect because he doesn't respect others P.O.V...hence the whole authority thing.

when i got caught with pot in college he said to me "I got my Sergent's stripes climbing on the backs of people like you." I responded with something about that making him a UAVhead.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
chirp is offline  
#14 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Alyantavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll also add that there is a real stigma attached to those that partake - and an very unfair one. So most people that do keep it really hush-hush. I've discovered that many of the people I know smoke, but keep it very quiet.
Yeah that.

I'm 28, dh's 31 and we both think it should be legal. At least in this area, maybe if they legalized it, they could focus more on the harder drugs that are wreaking havoc on whole communities.
Alyantavid is offline  
#15 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Mal85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 23. Most people I know partake or have done it or at least are not against it. It's pretty prevalent in my social group. I started partaking pretty young and was shocked to find out how many people did it. It is widespread and is definitely not limited to a "certain kind" of people. I think, economically, it would be the best move for this country to legalize it. Think of the benefits... a MJ tax. A new work industry that would offer jobs. It would seriously help the state of our economy. Plus the fact that growing MJ is amazing for the soil. The roots grow very deep and keep the soil healthy. Why do you think so many farmers grew it back in the day?

Also, if it's legal, it can be regulated. There would be an age limit, much like cigarettes and alcohol. There would be laws about not smoking and driving. You would know what you were getting was pure (or at least have a package to tell you what's been added to it). There would be no fear of it being laced with anything, etc. Right now, it's a black market thing. There are no regulations other than it being illegal. So, no one is keeping an eye on it.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Mal85 is offline  
#16 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 AM
 
cappuccinosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SW Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mmmm...I'm 26. I care. I know a lot of people who haven't done it, and others who have and now oppose it's use.

But, I travel in pretty conservative circles. I think there are plenty of our peers who do care about it and don't support it's use, but they don' tend to hang around those who are using it and passionately advocating legalization, yk? I don't know about the legalization issue myself. Alcohol abuse contributes to all sorts of horrible happenings, but we already know what happened when they tried to make the sale of alcohol illegal.
cappuccinosmom is offline  
#17 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
 
emmalizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 20 and think weed should stay illegal because of the mental and health problems it can cause. I also think tobacco should be illegal though- so yes, I'm the odd one out apparently
emmalizz is offline  
#18 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Avani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where i live, pretty much every single family and person i know grows it to make a living. It is considered legal here within the legal guidelines, but not federally. The feds do come in a few times a year to break up the large scale grows.

The cons of marijuana. There are people who will rent and buy up all the available properties in town just to grow in and not live in which lives the people who actually need a place to live in with nothing. Many grow houses turn into electrical disasters and moldy death traps. We have house fires all the time due to people messing with the electrical. I see family gatherings where the adults are sitting around passing a bong or a joint while the children run around playing. In my opinion, smoke is smoke and teaching children it is ok to smoke anything is not a good idea healthwise. Yes it is an herb and yes it has herbal properties but the smoke is still dangerous. We have a lot of robberies around here involving marijuana. Alot!

The pros. There is little industry here and our entire town actually makes more money living off the taxes generated through the dispensaries in town. Without that money our town would be nonexistent. The families i know have the ability to raise their kids while working from home and they make quite a bit of money. Some families easily gross a few hundred thousand a year.
Avani is offline  
#19 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
 
yarngoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Placerville,CA~best place for me!~
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My neighbor is a young kid- got out of the gang life in LA and moved to norther cali- and told me about the cops in LA. They told him and his gang banger buddies one night, after a fight "See, had you just stayed home and smoked some weed we wouldn't have been here. Instead you got drunk and made an ass out of your self. How smart are you?" that was a major turning point for him. He now never drinks.

I think that it should be legal, but I still disagree with kids using it- because to me it's a medication. For all kinds of ailments- from physical pain to emotional pain. I wish our government would use the countless dollars they spend on the persuit of the never ending MJ trail.... and put that money to GOOD use hunting down Meth houses where little kids live among the horrible chemicals. Where people cook meth in hotels and kill all the innocent people that happen to sleep in the same section of motels. That would be something.

I would LOVE to see us become a productive country again- by Hemp. There is a Native American Tribe in the midwest(can't remember where it was on PBS though) that has been BEGGING the US Government to allow them to grow hemp for industrial production and they have been denied again and again. Told to open a Casino. Yet, they want to grow something from the earth and are told they cannot because Hemp is in the cannibus family and therefore illegal. Should they grow it with out permission- the DEA would burn it to the ground. The tribe? would be destroyed too because that would be their lifeline. They are dying a slow and painfull death because they have no way to better themselves, and because the US own's the water they have to have permission.

And Chirp...your dad's belief about people and authority and that laws shouldn't be re-examined is very scary. What's even scarier is that there are other's that think this- young people too! It's very scary and I hope we can start to change soon....

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

yarngoddess is offline  
#20 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
 
mommysarah5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalizz View Post
I'm 20 and think weed should stay illegal because of the mental and health problems it can cause. I also think tobacco should be illegal though- so yes, I'm the odd one out apparently
I think it could cure a few mental health problems too lol
alcohol is worse, imo, and people who are trying to escape their inner demons will turn to that if they can't get pot. I'd prefer it be easier for them to get some marij. instead. I respect your opinion though. I have tobacco, but I dont think it should be illegal. I think there are a lot of laws that violate or rights and every time they add one more... I just think, which one is going to tbe the gateway law that takes away our freedom?
mommysarah5 is offline  
#21 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
 
BroodyWoodsgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know a lot of people who do not support smoking MJ....or drinking, or who hate cigarettes....and I respect that, fully and wholeheartedly, because I believe that everyone should have the right to decide that something is not for them.

What scares me to death, is the number of people who believe that the Federal Government should have the right to decide FOR you, or me, what it safe, sane and should be legal. I say, give it to the states to decide....and even THAT leaves me feeling creeped out.

People give too much athourity to the government..."But Marijuana Cigarettes are BAD!" some would cry out..."They have to keep it illegal, for the greater good!" well...to those of you who, despite ongoing and emerging research to the contrary, would believe this, I as ask you this:

Is it for the "greater good" that men and women who are homosexual, do not have the right to marry? Because your government has decided that, for the "greater good" it must remain illegal for two people who love and want to honor and commit themselves to each other, cannot in matrimony, because they are of the same sex.

Is it for the greater good, that most people in America have no idea that all of the "aide" we send to nations around the world who are trying to get on their feet and join the global market place...are actually receiving LOANS from our centralized banks, which the peoples in those countries then spend the rest of their lives working to "pay off", by standing on their feet for up to 12, 16, 24 or sometimes 36 hours, with only minimal breaks, sewing boxers, shirts, jeans, etc...for PENNIES a day....so that we can walk into GAP and buy a "cute tee" for a few dollars? Because your government, has allowed trade agreements which CRUSH foreign peoples in the bonds of modern day slavery....for what, what greater good?

Is it for the greater good, that people, because of where they come from and what they look like, can be swept off the street and away to a secret prison, for a inditermenant period of time, with no charges filed....and no word to their families of what's happened? Because your government thinks so.

Look at the rights, which in the last ten years have been stripped of you....look at your waterways in this gorgeous coutry of ours, which have not been valued and protected, look. LOOK LOOK. Look all around, at this "Greater Good" that your government so valiently fights for....and begin to see it for what it is.

The greater good is not you and it is not me. It is not us, for us, determined by us. The greater good, is the almighty dollar, my friends, and I assure you, you do not have enough dollars to matter to the people who make the real rules we're all expected to live by. If you require further evidence, that your government does not really stand for liberty, protection and the greater, common good....you need only look at the thousand upon thousands of pieces of NEW legislation passed each year in this country....look around the world at the way we treat people, at the way big pharma is allowed to treat the insides of our bodies...all the while saying "no, it's safe it's safe - see, the FDA even says so"....look at the allowances made by our government, to big business, so they can smog up our air....put toxins in your water and DESTROY what's left, of the nutrients of the fruits/veggies/foods you buy in the store.....all the while telling you, that the real killers are muslim extremists and marijuana cigarettes. You want to talk dangerous...when's the last time you ate a bell pepper, which wasn't genetically mutated? Do you even know?

Your government does not stand for you and does not fight for you. You must stand for yourself and fight for yourself. "They" and their corrupt sense of what is in the interest of the "greater good"....will not save you. Your brain and willingness to use it....to ask questions, be skeptical, etc...that is what will save you.

Believe what you will, you are perfectly sane and within your rights to think that MJ is trash....but be wary of Federal regulation...always, in any case and under any circumstances. There are many threats out there....the least of which, I can assure you, is MJ. Do you drink public tap water, or even bottled water, as your primary water source?? You want to talk about something which causes physical and mental health problems....do a little research on flouride, my friend. NOT illegal....VERY dangerous. I wonder why.....

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

BroodyWoodsgal is offline  
#22 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
 
GradysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lowcountry, US
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 34, Gen X technically - while I do know at leas one person who finds MJ incredibly lame I don't think even she supports the criminalization of it.

Perhaps we all have known a waking baker in our lives, and that is just sad, but it is just another form of laziness really and not a criminal activity.

SO NO, I don't know anyone who supports the law and I know quite a few who undermine it regularly...

Don't you think crime would drop drastically if every household were allowed to grow 1-2 plants a year?

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
GradysMom is offline  
#23 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
 
CrunchyChristianMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm opposed to it's legalization because I've seen it's effects on young people. I used to teach 8th grade in a very poor area and had a few students who would show up high to school. It was clearly negatively effecting them. My fear is that making it legal would lead to even more kids smoking it. It seems to me that when something is made legal, kids don't understand that it is still dangerous. These are kids who explained to me that cigarettes aren't really that bad because if they were they would be illegal...this is the kind of thinking some of our youth has.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

CrunchyChristianMama is offline  
#24 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
 
katiesk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know alot of people who think it should be illegal...but i also know alot of very religious and politically conservative people.

Katie
katiesk is offline  
#25 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
 
sh0rtchica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm 26, and while i've never smoked anything (including mj), i think it should be legal. DH is on the fence with it, though, and he's 28.

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
sh0rtchica is offline  
#26 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Bluegoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm the wrong age, but most people that age I know seem very neutral on the issue; they don't often think it is s big deal, on the other hand, they aren't politically active to change the law.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a problematic stance in a democracy. If you think the law should be changed, work toward it. But that doesn't mean it is always ok to break the law, just because you don't agree with it. In some cases, where it is clearly an immoral law, or where the law is simply badly written and not actually intended to do what is happening, it might be justified. But in the case of recreational drugs, it's a matter of, well, recreation. The law is actually fully intending to restrict it's use. Not something I can justify flouting just because I disagree that it's necessary. I certainly got pissed off when some local person raided my garden plants, though clearly he or she had no qualms about it.

 I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Bluegoat is offline  
#27 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
 
FondestBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just turned 25 and dh is 24 and both of us think it should remain illegal. In fact, I don't even believe in recreational use of alcohol. I won't get into this any further as the nature of the entire arguement quickly gets me worked up and downright mean.

I've never used drugs, drank alcohol, or even taken a puff of a cigarette.... so I have zero pity for people who would miss them if they weren't an option.

So, yah... people do care and there are people in younger generations that don't participate in use of mind altering substances for fun or agree with others doing it either. Don't assume.

As for gov invlovement, when the decision is so blatently clear (not to use drugs for example) I don't mind the gov stepping in and enforcing it. I think of all of the kids who would be effected by legalization of such toxins. Look at how many innocent children have been effected by alcohol (the parents using/abusing it).... far more than if it had been illegal. Some decent, hard working, good people would go to jail, get fined, loose jobs, yes... but, thats the price some have to pay for the betterment of quality of life for the kids of this nation then get over it. This arguement isn't about big brother. If thats your worry, you're WAY off the bigger issue here.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
FondestBianca is offline  
#28 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
 
nerdymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: too far away from the mountains, VA
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 23, and have never smoked pot. I'm not against it mind you, I've just never done it. I'm waiting for it to be legalized.

As an aside, I think it is hilarious when I hear people say that mj is ok, but tobacco is bad. Yes, I have heard this absurdity IRL. It's what we've done to the tobacco and how we abuse it that makes it bad, the substance itself is not bad. And you can say the same for pot, or alcohol. The product itself is not inherently bad, but the way that people abuse it is. And the fact is, the government has no right to dictate morality, moderation, or common sense. We all need to take responsibility for own actions, that is the first step towards a smaller government.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
nerdymom is offline  
#29 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM
 
RunnerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 32, don't know where I fit in. But most moms I talk to don't seem to care about it. Just yesterday I was actually talking with a mom who knows a mom who sells it and she was like "You wouldn't believe how many doctors and other professsionals buy it" and I was like, eh, maybe I would... and we were talking about how stupid it is, you can go home and have a drink every night, but smoking up is illegal, and who does it really hurt? People go home, drink, beat their wives, go out and drive, whatever... most people when they smoke, they just sit around and chill. Doesn't make any sense. Both of us used to smoke a lot, neither of us do now - though I would if offered! She works somewhere that drug tests which is another lame thing... it sticks around in your system unlike alcohol and all ...

It really seems like a lot of people I talk to just don't do it any more because they have no idea where to get it. Everyone seems to say, if I knew where to get it, I would!

Then there's the fact usually people COULD figure out where to get it... I just think it also matters that as an adult, you stand to lose so much if you get caught... esp. if you are a renter... it's just so stupid.

Anyway most people I talk to, it seems they don't think it's any different than drinking, and it's better in some ways, and it's stupid that it's illegal.

The clock on our stove is broken so I have it set peramently to 4:20... I like to see who notices when they come over LOL

eta - most moms I run with are in the 30-40ish age bracket.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
RunnerDuck is offline  
#30 of 304 Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 PM
 
barefootmama0709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I support legalization for many reasons. My main one is that legalization will allow government regulation of marijuana sales as well as taxation similar to that of alcohol. Currently marijuana import/export and sales are controlled by criminals who use the profit from said industry to further many other criminal activities. Furthermore I don't believe that marijuana in and of itself has a drastic effect on who someone is as a person, including their ability to parent. Myself and DH were both raised by recreational smokers-his dad was fairly neglectful and my parents were not. Their marijuana usage was not the key factor in their parenting abilities. I could go on but I need to shower before ODS wakes up from his nap!

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

barefootmama0709 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off