Swedish parents decide not to reveal 2-year-old's gender-Thoughts?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.thelocal.se/20232/20090623/

(Excerpt)

A couple of Swedish parents have stirred up debate in the country by refusing to reveal whether their two-and-a-half-year-old child is a boy or a girl.

Pop’s parents [see footnote], both 24, made a decision when their baby was born to keep Pop’s sex a secret. Aside from a select few – those who have changed the child’s diaper – nobody knows Pop’s gender; if anyone enquires, Pop’s parents simply say they don’t disclose this information.

In an interview with newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in March, the parents were quoted saying their decision was rooted in the feminist philosophy that gender is a social construction.

“We want Pop to grow up more freely and avoid being forced into a specific gender mould from the outset,” Pop’s mother said. “It's cruel to bring a child into the world with a blue or pink stamp on their forehead.”

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#2 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I think that is so cool. I totally agree that gender is a social construct, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that androgeny is healthier than leaning to either side.

But to start with one small child... well... that child is going to have an awfully rough time of it, I suspect. I hope they plan to homeschool. We're raised to believe gender is so critical to our identity that bucking the system is going to be difficult for that child unless they are given a ton of support.

Rather than force a single small child to lead this very-needed revolution, seems like it would be better to build a small androgenous community, where all sexes are unknown, and raise the child in that new culture. Otherwise I see decades of therapy for this child (in my crystal ball!). Not because the child was raised wrong but because the world is.
#3 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 PM

I agree to a point. I guess the day to day living stuff, the fact that we are so used to talking in terms of gender, is what keeps me from following a similar path.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM

My initial thought was that the child might have been born with a form of hermaphroditism (sp?) and perhaps they are trying to let the child determine her/his own sex.
#5 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Rather than force a single small child to lead this very-needed revolution, seems like it would be better to build a small androgenous community, where all sexes are unknown, and raise the child in that new culture. Otherwise I see decades of therapy for this child (in my crystal ball!). Not because the child was raised wrong but because the world is.
:

Mama/stepmama of 4 goofy girls (7/99, 11/00, 4/03, and 12/08) and co-parent with my favorite husband. We do this stuff - : : : : : :
#6 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

I remember an essay like that from some feminist theory class I took. "Baby X" or something like that. When I read it, I remember being totally inspired and thinking it was a great idea.

Now though, as a mother, and being 15 years older, I have to totally disagree. I think this is just distracting from real feminism. Androgyny is just not workable, or preferable for most people. We are biologically programmed to have a gender, and it's gratifying to satisfy our gender expectations. I don't see how hiding one child's gender really contributes to less domestic violence, or more family leave time, or equal pay for equal work, or any of the very real issues that exist and need to be addressed by feminism. But maybe they're past all that in Sweden?

Mommy to kids

#7 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

I don't agree that gender is COMPLETELY socially constructed. Yes there are a LOT of issues with gender stereotypes in today's society and we try to raise our ds as gender neutrally as possible in terms of letting him make decisions about what he wants to wear/play with etc. If he ever wanted us to call him she we'd be fine with it, etc. In fact, he's wearing pink nail polish today and he also likes to wear hair clips, but in clothing he usually chooses shirts with garbage trucks or dinosaurs.

The truth is that there (is evidence out there) that there ARE in fact several biological differences in males vs. females in all sort of ways. We are not born genderless just like we are not born race-less. Such as the way male's literally see and hear the world is different than females. I don't know that it is fair to the child in this situation...it seems like it would be very confusing and I think as the child gets older he/she is going to wonder why he/she isn't allowed to know/say what gender he/she is...

This "movement" reminds of the same group of people who say things like "race doesn't matter" instead of embracing and celebrating both similarities and differences.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#8 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Eh, the article says they'll let the LO decide when to reveal gender. My guess is that it will either never matter or the year from age 3 to 4 will be filled with telling every single person on the street about his or her genitals. "I have a penis like Daddy and I'm a boy!!!" as the case may be.
#9 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

I love it. We are "kinda" doing that. Although we use mostly male pronouns, occansionaly we use "singular they." Ds wears both "girls" and "boys" clothes and engages in activities stereotypical of each gender. Ds has long hair and when people call him a girl or use she I rarely correct them unless it is someone i have to be around a lot and it will come up later. Ds' full name is gender neutral, which we did on purpose as to not force ds into a perscribed gender role. Ds' nickname is "boyish" but when someone thinks he's a girl I usually just use his full name instead.

People react to children differently based on their notions of the child's sex/gender. This way for ds and for Pop they get the best of both worlds, they get to be "pretty" and "strong" They are allowed to be "dainty" and "daring" and I think that's great.. I don't speak swedish so I don't know if there is a standard gender neutral singular pronoun, if there is that would make it easier for the parents and pop growing up.

Eventually Pop will choose what they want to be calledI think eventually Pop will choose their own gender identity which may or may not "match" their biological sex, and then go from there. They will have the benefit of a young childhood free from the restraints of typical gender stereotyping and be able to move forward with the feeling that they are free to be themself no mater who that is
#10 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
My initial thought was that the child might have been born with a form of hermaphroditism (sp?) and perhaps they are trying to let the child determine her/his own sex.
btw the appropriate word is "intersexed"
#11 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Eh, the article says they'll let the LO decide when to reveal gender. My guess is that it will either never matter or the year from age 3 to 4 will be filled with telling every single person on the street about his or her genitals. "I have a penis like Daddy and I'm a boy!!!" as the case may be.
Yeah my friend's son was pretty gender neutral (living in a household with queer and trans folks so it was the "norm") he never said he was a boy or a girl, and when other kids would ask him he would say "i'm just *name*" But once he started at his school at 3 he decided he was a "boy" His first reason was "I have to stand in the boy's line at school" and then later he said "no I just know I am a boy"

So I think Pop will be fine and will "come out" so to speak when they are a little older.
#12 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM

I think this child is going to have a very hard time growing up because of his/her parent's belief system. We are born a certain gender, and USUALLY we fulfill that role accordingly. Not just because of society, but because of instinct. I understand there are some people who feel out of place in their gender,but that's not the vast majority. I would hate for my child to be referred to as an "it".
#13 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM

That is interesting. I think that the idea behind it is great, to let the child decide for him/herself who he/she wants to be. I worry that society won't see it that way though. I hope for the best for the family though!
#14 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM

For some reason I can't quite articulate, it doesn't sit right with me.

I mean, let's say the family is out at a park. Someone asks them, "Is your child a boy or a girl?" They will then refuse to answer.

Why? Why is it so bad to allow people to know the gender of your child? I just don't see it as such a huge negative.

I DO like raising kids and allowing them to explore and be who they want to be. I do NOT like it when parents say, "No, dolls are for girls. You should play with trucks," to their little boys.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing people to know the gender of your children. And I find it strange that people would refuse to share that information.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#15 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
People react to children differently based on their notions of the child's sex/gender. This way for ds and for Pop they get the best of both worlds, they get to be "pretty" and "strong" They are allowed to be "dainty" and "daring" and I think that's great.
Ideally, yes. But I can imagine lots of people in society leaning towards treating a child of unknown gender more like a boy than like a girl. Because it's okay to call a girl strong and daring, but it's not okay to call a boy pretty or dainty (), so they'd err on the side of the masculine. Hopefully not, but I can see it happening.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#16 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it'll be short lived at this point, but I see absolutely no reason why this would cause any problems for a child. When gender matters to Pop, Pop will reveal, and it'll be over.
#17 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I think it'll be short lived at this point, but I see absolutely no reason why this would cause any problems for a child. When gender matters to Pop, Pop will reveal, and it'll be over.
What Pop reveals may not be what the physical form is though, in which case it will start all over again.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#18 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

That's fine, but I don't really get it. Every child I have know has shown very specific gender differences. Maybe I was only projecting because I knew if they were a boy or a girl, but I think it's inherent. You can be made to be more 'girly' or more 'manly' I suppose, but I think all kids are born pretty much who they are. The main thing is they have a healthy self identity. I think that is better achieved by maybe avoiding commercials and marketing then keeping their sex a secret.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#19 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Hmm. Interesting.

Quote:

I mean, let's say the family is out at a park. Someone asks them, "Is your child a boy or a girl?" They will then refuse to answer.

Why? Why is it so bad to allow people to know the gender of your child? I just don't see it as such a huge negative.
I think, maybe, their point is that it doesn't matter. So even though it's an innocent question, I guess they are trying to make people re-think why they even want to know if the child is a boy or girl? Will they talk to the child differently or treat them differently based on the answer?

I haven't read the whole article but that's what came to my mind. :

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#20 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post

Well boys and girls are treated differently by people. I dress my son somewhat gender neutrally (I don't like sports or reptiles, etc) and he had very long hair until recently. On days when he was looking a little more girl than boy he would get lots of the "oh what a beautiful little girl" comments, at the park parents would instruct their children to "let the little girl go first", strangers were more likely to engage with him in conversation, little girls were more likely to initiate play with him, etc. On days when he was wearing his star wars t-shirt (or some other "boy" thing) those things were significantly less likely to happen, especially the strangers talking to him thing. People seem to be much more likely to engage a little girl in conversation than a little boy.
#21 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
btw the appropriate word is "intersexed"
okay, thanks, that was silly of me...
#22 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Ideally, yes. But I can imagine lots of people in society leaning towards treating a child of unknown gender more like a boy than like a girl. Because it's okay to call a girl strong and daring, but it's not okay to call a boy pretty or dainty (), so they'd err on the side of the masculine. Hopefully not, but I can see it happening.
That has not been the case for us. When someone reads ds as a girl they treat him that way and when they read him a boy they treat him as a boy. I have actually found "girl" to be the default not boy.
#23 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post

I DO like raising kids and allowing them to explore and be who they want to be. I do NOT like it when parents say, "No, dolls are for girls. You should play with trucks," to their little boys.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing people to know the gender of your children. And I find it strange that people would refuse to share that information.

I hate that question. Personally I feel like someone is coming up to me, looking at my kid and asking "penis or vagina?" And I want to say Kid! I am sure when people ask Pop's parents, "oh boy or girl?" They replay "Their name is Pop" which is often how I answer the question except "Their name is August"

I think its strange that you feel like you have the right to know someone's gender? Why do you have the right to know? If you can't tell, then you can't tell, use gender neutral language and get to know the person, which is what is important issue anyway.
#24 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I hate that question. Personally I feel like someone is coming up to me, looking at my kid and asking "penis or vagina?" And I want to say Kid! I am sure when people ask Pop's parents, "oh boy or girl?" They replay "Their name is Pop" which is often how I answer the question except "Their name is August"

I think its strange that you feel like you have the right to know someone's gender? Why do you have the right to know? If you can't tell, then you can't tell, use gender neutral language and get to know the person, which is what is important issue anyway.
:

No one would ask "Are you a man or a woman?" of an adult, so why a child?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#25 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Actually, I've had kids and teens ask me when I had short hair and was growing out my eyebrows (long story). I'm sure adults wondered but didn't ask.

My DH does a LOT of "feminine" things but is very stereotypically "male" in other ways. Vice versa for me. We are raising DS to do what he wants and we don't have any stereotypic toys.
#26 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
That's fine, but I don't really get it. Every child I have know has shown very specific gender differences.
Okay, so what exactly are these 'very specific gender differences' you have observed.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#27 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I agree. The gender question always bothered me for that exact reason. They're babies, toddlers, children, not sexual organs.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#28 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Who cares

I can't help but think, is this really news worthy?

Maybe I'm just not radical enough, but who really cares. My daughter is a daughter yes, but she can play with trucks and eat worms and play with dolls and do what she wants. She wears pink, and she wears blue, but I don't need to make a big deal about not "labeling" her.

It just seems so "look at me, giving the finger to the world by refusing to say whether my kids a girl or boy.." I like to think I brought my kid into the world without a P or B stamped on her forehead, and so many other parents do, but it's not in the news

“Child-rearing should not be about providing an opportunity to prove an ideological point, but about responding to each child’s needs as an individual,” Pinker tells The Local.

And again, maybe I just don't understand

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#29 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM

I think it's fine. I don't understand why anyone would give them a hard time about it. It's interesting how many things are deemed as acceptable decisions for a parent to make for a child, but when someone makes the decision to let their child decide for themselves everyone goes up in arms. I think its great. I think they have a good reason for doing it, and its not like they aren't allowing the child to share their gender they are just waiting for their child to decide. If they werent going to allow the child to tell then I wouldn't like it, but otherwise I think its fine. It may not be something I would do personally, but when it comes to "parents rights" I can definitely support a parents right to let the child decide.
#30 of 199 Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
Who cares

I can't help but think, is this really news worthy?

Maybe I'm just not radical enough, but who really cares. My daughter is a daughter yes, but she can play with trucks and eat worms and play with dolls and do what she wants. She wears pink, and she wears blue, but I don't need to make a big deal about not "labeling" her.

It just seems so "look at me, giving the finger to the world by refusing to say whether my kids a girl or boy.." I like to think I brought my kid into the world without a P or B stamped on her forehead, and so many other parents do, but it's not in the news

“Child-rearing should not be about providing an opportunity to prove an ideological point, but about responding to each child’s needs as an individual,” Pinker tells The Local.

And again, maybe I just don't understand

You hit the nail on the head sister!

Sometimes, I think some people are more into the "image" of being unconventional..then actually putting it to good use in their parenting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page