Moms of Many JULY!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Tina are you ever in a non pissy mood at your DH?
Yes.. but it's usually more of an eh moment. Right now I feel like a "Mob Wars Widow" and it's kinda pissing me off. We went to my moms last night because they shot off some of their fireworks and be brought his freaking laptop with him to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic_ballet View Post
subbing.

I have a very sore throat and think I am getting the flu again : :

It's also very cold here :

Oh and I have a huge stack of laundry that I need to do

Sorry to complain so much
Cold??? Where are you?? Im packing my bags and coming to visit! It was 103 here today!!! Im Mellllltiiiiingggg!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
subbing

BTW, I'm Heather, and my kids are dd-12, dd-6, ds-2.5, and dd-4 months. I just feel like I need to be around people who don't think having 4 kids is completely crazy.
Ha! I use to feel like I barely had ANY kids compared to most in this group, but the number of us with "only" four is on the rise!! You arent nuts. I have four and I might want more. Am I nuts?

Food: about a gallon of milk in two days, sometimes faster. I cant keep cereal on the shelf no matter how much I buy. Probally go through four or five boxes a week. Snacks never last, fruit is gone quickly. If I buy the melon already cut, its gone before the groceries are all unloaded, lol!! My kids drink like crazy too, we go through two gallons of tea in a day and the milk and water.... I cant keep cups clean!! Seems like we are always out of everything!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM

new mamas. 4 isn't small at all and 3 under 3 is way more than I have on my plate! Mine are 16, 12, 6 and 2 which is easier in some ways and harder in others.

Anglyn, we are like that with cereals, fruit and snacks too but we have cut down on our milk consumption drastically and everyone just has water to drink whi means you can wash the cups less often:
Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Points down. THEY'RE BACK!! You just haveta put them back.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 AM

Orangefoot, If I could get away with it.... dd is addicted to milk, shes the only one and ds2 has just become a big fan of water but I cant live without my ice tea and if I have it, they all have it, darn them!

Ever try to sneak a piece of candy without sharing? I swear, the same kids who cant hear me screaming thier names can hear a candy wrapped from three rooms away! The perk up instantly with a suspicious, "whats that?"!!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Cold??? Where are you?? Im packing my bags and coming to visit! It was 103 here today!!! Im Mellllltiiiiingggg!!!!
I am in Australia and it's winter here :

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Ever try to sneak a piece of candy without sharing? I swear, the same kids who cant hear me screaming thier names can hear a candy wrapped from three rooms away! The perk up instantly with a suspicious, "whats that?"!!
And here I thought it was only my children that had super "Spidey" hearing when it came to candy wrappers.

Guess it is one way to keep me from eating when I should not be.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 AM

I've given up on trying to eat my own food. The two year old will only eat food, it seems, off someone elses plate. Same food, mind you. I just feed them then eat THIER leftovers! That'll teach 'em...Im sure what it'll teach em, but something, surely...hehe

Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I am in Australia and it's winter here :
Me too, but it's not cold, it's lovely!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Hi! I'm Liz, mom to four. Childcare provider to a bunch more. I took eight kids to the mall playground and Barnes & Noble today.

Dh and I noticed the other day the VOLUME of food that our kids and the childcare kids consume and I was thinking maybe we could have one day here where we list how much we've used and what.

Ex:

Breakfast:

1 doz eggs
1/2 pound bacon
8 biscuits
1/2 pound cheese
1 cantalope
8 donuts
1/2 gal of chocolate soymilk
My oldest is 3 so we've yet to experience the large amounts of food. I will prepare myself now - thanks

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 PM

I think I finally have the shoe storage worked out. I bought a shoe organizing shelf thingy, and we put it out on the porch. We have a nice wrap around porch so I put it around the corner from the front door. (so guest don't have to see it) We used to use a basket, but then someone would rummage through it looking for a shoe on the bottom and throw everyone else's shoes all over the floor. This new shelf thing has been working quite well for several months now. I got it at Target, and I think it was made by Rubbermaid.(its a wood type material though). You can add onto it too.

On food....I try to keep our budget to around $600 a month, and I feel like we get pretty close. We use http://www.thegrocerygame.com. I get loads of food for pennies on the dollar....way cheaper than I would pay wholesale. I have tons of things stockpiled all over the house....laundry detergent, cleaning products, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, and loads of food. It really has taken the stress out of grocery shopping. We go through 2 gallons of milk a week, but I don't let the kids just drink it. They have it with their cereal, and we cook with it. Sometimes we will have cookies and milk so they will get a glass. We probably use 2-3 loaves of bread a week.

On another note, dh has wanted to ttc #6 for the last year or so. I had had some serious health issues so of course we put that off. I am finally in the clear, and even though I had told dh that we would wait to ttc next spring we decided to give it a go. We tried last month with no luck. I just Oed, so hopefully we got lucky this month. He only has one more month or all bets are off.....I refuse to be big and pregnant in the summer again.....so we will wait until at least February next year if this doesn't work.

Five kiddos just don't feel like a very large family to me. Maybe because I grew up one of 5. Six feels like I'm stepping off the deep end though! We have always wanted 8-10 though, so we are excited. I'm not excited about the dirty looks and crappy comments though from strangers though. Lucky for us both of our families fully support us having a very large family. I love my MIL! She even told me she had a dream about a baby, so she hinted that she knows something is up. (we haven't told anyone about ttc though)
Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_of_seven View Post
On food....I try to keep our budget to around $600 a month, and I feel like we get pretty close.
Oh my! How do you manage?! That can't be for organic food?
I'm starting to wonder if food is way cheaper over in the states. Even though I dunno how much we use, I'm pretty damn sure it's more than that, maybe double, or more. (All organic.)

And next qurestion, does everybody budget? I sometimes feel like I'm a real weirdo for not budgeting at all.
But why do one need to? I can't fin a brilliant reason in my head.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM

I was trying to figure out if what pathui5 listed was alot of food for us or not. We are veg so the choices are different, my 5 kiddos are 1.5 yo to 12.5 yo. I know I spend at least $1000 a month on food, some organic and not much convenient food as we bake our own bread and rarely buy anything packaged individually like granola bars. We do go through tons of produce.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM

I do buy some organic produce, but not all. We eat mainly whole foods, and many vegetarian meals. I do get the occasional treats though when I get them for cheap...like granola bars, crackers, ice cream.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Me too, but it's not cold, it's lovely!
Are you up north Pixiekisses?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM

I love the grocery talk. Our budget is $400 (4 kids at home ds16, dd14, ds almost-3, dd1) per month but we raise our own beef, eggs, and occasionally pork. Sometimes I can stay on it, other times not. We won't be harvesting heavily from the garden until next month...so I go to the produce tent weekly and spend about $30 on fresh fruit and veggies. Next month it'll be more like $5/week. PixieKisses, I budget because DH's income is mostly seasonal and if I don't stay on a budget during the good-money times (late Spring - early Fall), then the less-money times are awful!

A typical breakfast at our house would be:
1 dozen eggs, scrambled
a dozen biscuits or about 8 pancakes
a pitcher of juice

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I spend $400 on a month. Well, $400 a month is budgeted. When you throw in our tab at the local corner store, it's more like $500 total. I buy meat when it's marked down, I use coupons like mad. We do luck out because we have a surplus outlet with super deals on both organic and conventional food. We don't drink milk. We drink water and iced tea (herbal, not caffienated, because that would be insane). Probably most of our money is spent on produce. Also, that doesn't include any household stuff. Oh, and we eat at the church at least once a week, which defnitely helps.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I've been without internet for a while...

Turns out I wasn't pregnant...just hormonally whacky! great.

When my period finally came I was devastated emotionally, as I had just decided to be excited about the pregnancy...I think I realized why I was so sad. Because our current financial situation is so borderline awful that it would be really irresponsible to plan another baby...so the only way we can have one (and we both want one) is to have a "woops" baby. But I think it opened up the question and we're just thinking about it for now.

I got us on WIC this morning and it felt good to buy all that free food!!! Anything helps. We're on a buying hiatus for anything non essential to see how much better we can do each month. It feels good to not be helpless.

Welcome other moms of 4!

When are you due Maggie?? Sorry about the bedrest...

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 PM

mataji4 I get what you are saying about wanting another and realizing it is not a good decision. Kudos to you for doing what it takes to get what you need for your four sweeties. Things do change, even financial situations. They change whether you are in a good or bad situation so enjoy the good and deal wth the bad.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I spend $400 on a month. Well, $400 a month is budgeted. When you throw in our tab at the local corner store, it's more like $500 total. I buy meat when it's marked down, I use coupons like mad. We do luck out because we have a surplus outlet with super deals on both organic and conventional food. We don't drink milk. We drink water and iced tea (herbal, not caffienated, because that would be insane). Probably most of our money is spent on produce. Also, that doesn't include any household stuff. Oh, and we eat at the church at least once a week, which defnitely helps.
Wow $400 a month that's great! I spend that in a Fortnight! I wonder if it makes a difference that most of my kids are older and eat more...

What irritates me is the cost of kids snack foods, I've gone back to baking cakes and cookies for the kids to tak to school as well fruit, bottle of water and a sandwhich.

We don’t have coupons here but there is often sales and I stock up then.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 AM

We spend around $500 a month on food. It's more if dh does a lot of the shopping and less if I do most of the shopping. We are mostly vegetarian, though, and I cook bulk beans and rice for lots of cheap filling meals. I also hate to buy pre-packaged snack foods and would rather bake a batch of cookies or muffins instead. DH, on the other hand, can't leave the store without tons of fresh fruit (no matter if it's in season or not) and bags of chips and string cheese and things like that. I buy fresh fruit if it's under $1 a pounds and always stock up on frozen fruit, and I tend to get 'ingredients' instead of 'products', iykwim. This month I have vowed to do ALL of the grocery shopping just to see how low our food bill can go.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

It must make a difference where we all live...there is no way I could spend $400 or 500 on food in a month. Food is more expensive here than in other places I guess. I don't buy snack foods at all- my kids eat lots of apples, carrots, and I make popcorn and tea every day at 3. I think the cheapest I can get it down to is about $150 per week. We do eat almost entirely organic, though. It's one of the things we aren't willing to compromise on!

We have chickens so we go through the 8 eggs they lay per day every day. It's great! Wish we had a few more...next time I'll get more to begin with. We also have a huge garden that is just kicking in with carrots and squash, and we put in potatoes, beans, corn and peppers down the street at a friend's huge garden, so soon it will be great. And our apple tree is laden this year!! We planted all the fruit trees here when we moved here 6 years ago, so they are just starting to really produce! It's exciting.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
It must make a difference where we all live...there is no way I could spend $400 or 500 on food in a month. Food is more expensive here than in other places I guess. I don't buy snack foods at all- my kids eat lots of apples, carrots, and I make popcorn and tea every day at 3. I think the cheapest I can get it down to is about $150 per week. We do eat almost entirely organic, though. It's one of the things we aren't willing to compromise on!

We have chickens so we go through the 8 eggs they lay per day every day. It's great! Wish we had a few more...next time I'll get more to begin with. We also have a huge garden that is just kicking in with carrots and squash, and we put in potatoes, beans, corn and peppers down the street at a friend's huge garden, so soon it will be great. And our apple tree is laden this year!! We planted all the fruit trees here when we moved here 6 years ago, so they are just starting to really produce! It's exciting.
:

Lets see.. Last payday I spent $218 at New Seasons, $180 at Trader Joes, and $75 with Organics to You.(although I think I am going to cancel them and spend the money at the farmers market.) I spend $10 a week on raw milk and and 7 -10 a week on eggs. The big shopping trips are every other week. Now granted.. I was in the hospital the payday before and DH did the shopping at the local store so I had to get a lot of stuff we were completly out of (rather than waiting for a sale.) But I would say we spend $800-$1000 on food a month.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:19 AM

I also do the wanting a baby but thinking its not the right time thing. But then, Im 40 so tick tock you know. Sometimes I think about having an ooops baby on purpose, lol! But seriously, we just cant right now. DH has been in and out of work this last six months and its awful. I got on wic too, it helps. I spend a lot on food, but we have three adults and two teenage boys in addition to the three little ones plus I quite often have extra kids and they all eat A LOT! Im checking out that link right now to the grocery game!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 AM

baltic - this is exactly what we do for snacks. Well, sometimes I let the kids bake them but the mess and the waste can drive me batty. Why on earth would I buy a box of granola bars for $2 - $5 when that is only 1 snack for us and the health value is dubious?

I did find Larabars at BigLots/OddLots for $8 a case of 16. Given that they contain dates, cashews, and pistachios and cost $1.75 each at the grocery store I caved but who needs shellac on their food? It is listed as an ingredient on the fiber one bars my mom buys!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM

I made two trays of ginger oat crunchies ( a chunky oat biscuit) last night and now there are 2 left!! I also baked 18 oatmeal muffins which will be gone by tomorrow....unless I put half of them in the freezer now

The muffin recipe is here and a really quick banana muffin recipe is here

For the hillbilly ones I use milk soured with 1tbs vinegar not buttermilk and I do the banana one with oil not melted butter. Both freeze well which makes it worth doing a bigger batch.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM

you guys bake so much! are you baking daily or a couple x a wk? I can't imagine doing that on top of everything else I have to do. I like the idea of baking and cooking lots of meals and freezing them but can never seem to get it together enough to do it. but you all inspire me!

we have a garden which (hopefully) will have lots of tomatoes, zucchuni (sp?), some green peppers and garden beans, green onions, carrots, a few stalks of corn and cucumbers. I know we'll have more zucchuni than I'll know what to do with (had suggestions of bread or muffins but don't know if DC will actually eat them). We also have a ton of pumpkin plants (they're taking over the gardens) but they are the gaint pumpkins, not the kind I could bake with (I think)- the 200 lb+ carving kind (dh's idea) so as long as we can get them to last (not rot) till halloween we'll have more than enough for each kid to carve and give away some to friends' DC.

what kinds of recipes do you see that I could make and can or freeze in the list? besides the obivious spagetti sauce- which we'll be making a ton of and we use a lot of here. ???
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post

It definitely makes a difference where you live. When we lived in NY, we were spending a lot more on food. Everything is so much cheaper here in Texas - especially the things we tend to eat a lot like Mexican food staples and such. We don't always buy organic - only if the price difference isn't that much.

I wish we could have chickens here! My coworker in NY had ducks and would give me the eggs because she wouldn't eat them. Duck eggs at the farmer's market aren't cheap.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM

You all are a great resource with the cost-saving tips and recipe sites! We participate in a CSA every year for our summer/fall produce and buy our "dirty" fruits organic at Whole Foods. There's no Cosco around here and I haven't yet been able to budget my groceries, but I'm working on it. I just signed up for www.thegrocerygame.com and I'm excited to start shopping with coupons!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Are you up north Pixiekisses?
WA. Where are you? (I should mention I like it when it's a little cooler.)

I think I'd love to grow some of my own food! Like vegetables and such. But where we live now, it's not an option, and we love it here so we wont be moving for that reason. But it must save a lot, organic vegetables are expensive and we use tons. And, how cool to eat food you made yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSurplus View Post
PixieKisses, I budget because DH's income is mostly seasonal and if I don't stay on a budget during the good-money times (late Spring - early Fall), then the less-money times are awful!
Well, that I get. I guess I don't have a really good reason to budget, or I probably would. The only thing I really make sure we do is save lots each month, both for all the kids, and for us, and for retirement etc.

User Tag List