Moms of Many JULY!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loving all this money saving stuff with regards to food! :

I need to get together a simple cookbook fro myself and really look at what we eat. I want to start buying way more in bulk. The thing that keeps me away from Costco and other's like it in thinking it's not worth it is they don't have bulk bins of like rice and oats and such. I like bulk bins way more than prepackaged.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#62 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

We have a Costco but I won't buy there b/c I want to support our local food store that's been serving our community for thirty years. They have "standard pricing" which is very low, on staples like a cheddar, oats, rice, popcorn, a certain bread, a specific pasta sauce, etc, so I appreciate that.

I don't think our family eats as much as other families do. Maybe it's all the time we spent in India and East Africa?? When we sit down to our meals, we are hungry and everyone eats everything on their plates without fuss. Typically, we eat like this:

Bfast: French toast (one big loaf of bread, eggs from our chickens, topped with homemade jam and plain yogurt)

snack: fruit

Lunch: leftovers or rice, fresh veggies, smoothies

snack: buttery popcorn and tea

Dinner: stir fry, curry and rice, pasta and salad, beans and rice with tortillas...something like that- always protein and veggies with dinner

Sometimes we have dessert, sometimes I bake muffins for snack...but this is usually about it. We can have more helpings if still hungry so we always leave the meals full. We're all healthy and active so I guess what we're doing is fine, but sometimes I go to other people's houses and I can't believe how much and often they eat, and I wonder if I'm underfeeding us!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#63 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 PM

I think we probably eat less than lots of other people too! I definitely don't have cupboards full of food like lots of people I know.

I do bake quite a bit though and mostly bake at night. The other night I did mess up and forget to put sugar in the oatmeal muffins. They taste ok split with with jam in!!

I'm not a big fan of cleaning and tidying up which is probably why I have time to cook and bake. I'm not superhuman or anything
#64 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
we have a garden which (hopefully) will have lots of tomatoes, zucchuni (sp?), some green peppers and garden beans, green onions, carrots, a few stalks of corn and cucumbers. I know we'll have more zucchuni than I'll know what to do with (had suggestions of bread or muffins but don't know if DC will actually eat them). We also have a ton of pumpkin plants (they're taking over the gardens) but they are the gaint pumpkins, not the kind I could bake with (I think)- the 200 lb+ carving kind (dh's idea) so as long as we can get them to last (not rot) till halloween we'll have more than enough for each kid to carve and give away some to friends' DC.

what kinds of recipes do you see that I could make and can or freeze in the list? besides the obivious spagetti sauce- which we'll be making a ton of and we use a lot of here. ???
Pizza sauce...you can also grate the zucchini & freeze it for muffins & bread later in the year (my kids LOVE zucchini bread...and I had never tried it until I was an adult because it sounds gross...but it is so good. If need be, you can tempt them with CHOCOLATE zucchini bread! Allrecipesdotcom has good recipes for zucchini breads). You could can salsa since you have tomatoes and peppers...

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#65 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Wow . . . my next move was to look for a banana muffin recipe on line. We are visiting my in-laws and so I'm away from all my cookbooks.

Before #4 arrived in May, I baked all of our bread - probably 3x every 2 weeks. Probably after summer I'll start again. I also enjoy baking more than cleaning house!

Teacher, Mother of 4
#66 of 215 Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM

I don't really bake. I can make cakes, I'm good with cakes. But my dear and the kids does the baking, I don't like it much.
Not that we do it a lot, but he usually makes all the bread, rolls, nutty cheese muffins for tea etc. (We don't eat bread, really, so it's not much in a year.)

And we usually just have 4 proper meals, breakfast, lunch, tea and supper. There's a snack in between lunch and tea, yoghurt with berries, fruit and cheese, some salad or some veggies or summat like that. Tea is always a warm meal. But then again, we sometimes have like 2-3 warm meals in a day, we like warm meals (some lighter, smaller and easier than tea though).
We don't overeat, but nobody ever goes hungry either.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#67 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 AM

If I have an empty shelf in the oven, I'll stick a batch of biscuits or something in. Otherwise I bake in bulk- I can get 6 loaf tins in my oven at once, or 3 large baking sheets- then freeze.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#68 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM

see i think i've figured out way i don't bake so much- my oven. it's one of those with the oven on the bottom and on a smaller one over the stove and the bigger one doesn't work so i am stuck using the little one on top and it only fits one baking sheet/muffin pan at a time! we live in a rental and the landlord will not give us a new one so i make do or don't.
#69 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
And we usually just have 4 proper meals, breakfast, lunch, tea and supper. There's a snack in between lunch and tea, yoghurt with berries, fruit and cheese, some salad or some veggies or summat like that. Tea is always a warm meal. But then again, we sometimes have like 2-3 warm meals in a day, we like warm meals (some lighter, smaller and easier than tea though).
We don't overeat, but nobody ever goes hungry either.
YUM...this sounds so wonderful! We only have 3 formal meals a day and an informal snack or two and I already feel like I hardly ever make it out of the kitchen! You must live there! The snack between lunch & tea sounds delish!

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#70 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSurplus View Post
YUM...this sounds so wonderful! We only have 3 formal meals a day and an informal snack or two and I already feel like I hardly ever make it out of the kitchen! You must live there! The snack between lunch & tea sounds delish!
Thanks!
But jeeez, no, my dear makes breakfast usually while I am tending to our SN kiddos needs in the mornings, and he makes most of our teas actually (and now in summer when we barbecue a lot for tea he makes 'em all), and we take turns with lunch and the snack when he's home like now during vacation. And we take turns with the supper. We both want to be with the kids, so we split it. Or just take them all into the kitchen and make the meals together all of us.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#71 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Admittedly, I've been avoiding this thread b/c I already feel like I LIVE in the kitchen!

Breakfast - oatmeal or smoothies or leftover bread with jam

Lunch - usually last night's leftovers or quesadillas

Dinner - pizza, enchiladas, salad, soup, chicken/veggies, tacos, or something similarly simple

Snack - usually fresh fruit, baby carrots, popcorn, maybe muffins or granola bars if I feel like making a batch

Lately, I hate having to make food. DS2 is incredibly picky/fussy, and just plain rude about it. No matter what I make, he is unhappy with it. And he loves all of it! But it is often, "Pizza? Why didn't you make pigs in a blanket?"

I've been of a mind to send him to bed without dinner, but then that turns into a huge 7yo sized tantrum, and lately DD3 is doing/saying whatever he does, which means "I hate you," "You're stupid," and "WHY" have entered her vocabulary.

UGH, maybe I am just frazzled b/c I am 8mos pregnant and it is 105 degrees here lately. Even the public pool is warmer than bath water.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#72 of 215 Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love all the food posts! At least I will when I stop feeling sick all the time, LOL!

You know, one thing I notice people saying about large families is "How do they have time to have quality time with all those kids". And yet I've really noticed that I have the chances to connect one-on-one with each of my kids in a signifigant way every day. I don't know if it's my particular circumstances that make this happen or what, but I feel really blessed. It's something I always kind of worried about, but it happens.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#73 of 215 Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 AM

I dont buy into the idea that in order to have quality time with your kids, it must be individual time apart from the rest of the family! Now, if that happens, its fine and great, but I agree, I feel that each child does get individual time/connection etc during the natural course/flow of the day and it works for us. No one feels left out, but if I were to take each child out of the house with me and leave the others behind, no matter that they had or will have thier own turn....it would be a HUGE issue each time and not just for the kids left behind. The time I took my four year old to the urgent care and thought it would be easier if dh stayed home with the other kids...HA! He screamed the entire time, the most ear shattering and heartbreaking screams, the nurses kept coming into the room thinking he was screaming in pain, he was screaming for his sister! THey offered him popsicles and everything, nothing helped!

Now, I realize this may change as they get older (dd is 6, the two after her are 4 and 2) I mean my 17 year old prefers time with me when the little ones arent around, but he was an only child for 11 years and has sensory issues which they really tweak! For right now though, they seem to prefer to function as a unit. The one time we've been in the ER, when they had to xray my four year old and we couldnt be in the room, but stood right outside the door where he could see and hear us and only five feet away, but for the few seconds of actually snapping the xray they shut that door....my two year old acted like he was never going to see him again! It was almost funny, shut the door, screaming, open the door, he's fine, shut the door, screaming, open the door, he's fine and so on... ds ended up being admitted so I had dh take dd and our youngest ds home and I stayed overnight with the four year old (abscessed tooth caused all this) and they actually gave him pain meds that knocked him out before his siblings left, in the morning when he woke up (and we were transferred to a diffrent hospital while he was out) he didnt ask where he was or where daddy was, the very first words out of his mouth were to ask for his sister!! And of course it was really hard on the other two kids being away from ME overnight, for the two year old it was his first time, for dd only the second.

Ok, Im just rambling now. My point is, my kids cant stand it when a sibling is sleeping becuase they miss them and I think its ok and natural even for that quality time to happen within the natural flow of the familys daily routines. (dd is the only one of my "littles" that doesnt nap anymore so theres built in time for her everyday, one son is ususally the last one awake, the other the first one awake in the mornings) Sometimes we are all togather but sometimes one or the other will come to help me cook or fold laundry etc and those are one on one times.

I guess thats my long winded way of saying I dont think that you have to artifically create those moments. Not everyone agrees with me. Prevailing wisdom is that you must spend time with each child sepearate from the others or they wont feel special eough. But Ive noticed most people who think that have only two, maybe three kids. Im curious what other MoMs think!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#74 of 215 Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Anglyn I agree and I think it's really cute that your son wanted his sister

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#75 of 215 Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I guess that's what amazes me-- how naturally the one-on-one time just happens. Everyone seems so obsessed with this idea that you'll never have time to know your children's hearts. And yet, these little moments just keep happening.

And my kids miss each other too. The older three were at camp with their dad this week, and Daniel would wake up in the morning and say "Miss Katie. Happy." I think he was saying he misses Katie because she makes him happy. *sniff*

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#76 of 215 Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's part of the whole judgement of big families thing that irks me. Just last night a friend was going on about how everyone has a limit for how many kids they can have before they feel they can't give them enough attention... it was hard for me to not take it somehow negatively as most people there chose to have only two kids. I don't buy it that my kids don't feel "special." I think sometimes they resort to irritating behavior to get attention but I see only children do this too so it's not a big family thing. I do find time to play a game with my 10 yr old, sit and read with my 5 yr old, sit in the hammock with my 8 yr old, and wrestle with the 2 yr old, or the equivalent, each day. And geez I"m with some amount of them all day practically so they get lots of love and attention. I think that a lot of people just don't have a living example of how big families work so it's intimidating and some people think it's something we've evolved away from...

I am happily old fashioned

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#77 of 215 Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM

You know.. there were only three of us.. and my mom paid virtually no attention to any of us either. She was always "too tired."
#78 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh boy oh boy I just cried through Bjorn's lullabies...I am going away for a Doula weekend training workshop tomorrow and am planning on using this time to wean him. But oh he loves his nunnies. I've never nursed a child this long- he turned two last month- because I weaned the first two right before two b/c I was pregnant and the third weaned himself cold turkey surprise! at 21 months. Bjorn has gotten SO demanding about his nunnies and though I've managed to cut him down to three times a day he is incredible aggressive about it sometimes and I don't like it. It's like I can't hold him or snuggle him without him starting his nunny chanting and it makes me sad. So most of my decision to wean is to get us to some healthier relationship.

I finished making a millet filled "heavy baby" today, and she came out so well... my daughter tucked her into my bed and said "Is she your baby? I mean, are you her mom?" Somehow that set me off almost in tears too. Ugh, I'm so emotional!

I have a double batch of cherry/almond muffins in the oven now, and made a double batch of raising/carrot/oat muffins this morning...the coconut brownies are waiting to go in (I'm such a cheater- it's a box mix but I use coconut oil instead of butter and add unsweetened grated coconut and they are so good!!) So thanks for all the inspiration for baking And we're in budget so far this month!!

Any of you in Oregon or Northern California??

#79 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
I have a double batch of cherry/almond muffins in the oven now, and made a double batch of raising/carrot/oat muffins this morning...the coconut brownies are waiting to go in (I'm such a cheater- it's a box mix but I use coconut oil instead of butter and add unsweetened grated coconut and they are so good!!) So thanks for all the inspiration for baking And we're in budget so far this month!!

Any of you in Oregon or Northern California??
Ooooh...that sounds SO good...all of it. (And ds2 will be 3 next month and has NO interest in weaning...NONE....and with another on the way, I'm really not interested in nursing THREE LOs...but I don't have the heart to break his right now!)

I'm in Central Oregon, near Bend.

#80 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm so excited to FINALLY nurse a baby longer than a year. DD2 is only 6 months, but with DD1 and DS pregnancy dried up my milk and I couldn't take anything to boost it up. My milk started dipping this last week and I'm pounding the herbs and it's working! I don't plan on trying for another LO until DD2 is 2.

mataji4 Who are you doing your doula workshop through? I did mine through DONA a couple months ago and have my first two certifying births coming up in August :

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#81 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 PM

thanks for sharing the recipes!

My girls love to bake. I should go pick up some bananas so we can make some muffins. The only problem is that I like to eat them and the girls are more picky.

We show up to Dh's side for the 4th and he asks if I told them the news...they all look at me expectantly...um,no. My little sister is pg, not us.

Dh is looking for #6, but that would require a new vehicle for him so right now it is not in the cards. Though, maybe by the time O is done nursing there might be some money.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#82 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Another one chiming in to say my brood generally like each other. Linus, the baby, wouldn't eat dinner last night until we were all at thetable. The only problem was that we weren't all home. He kept pointing at Alice's chair and fussing when somebody would start to eat until we finally explained the situation to him.

#6 really changes the vehicle situation doesn't it? With 5 children, it has been nice as they have gotten a little older so that more seating options have opened up. Ds1 can ride in the front seat and dd3 can ride in a booster and I suppose ds2 can ride forward facing. None of this usually happens in the van but in dh's car we keep 1 forward facing carseat for either the 1 yo or the 4 yo, a booster in the trunk for either the 4 yo or the 6 yo, etc. I don't know if any of that makes sense the way I have it written. :

I have been cooking and baking all day and they have been eating all day. I made a lentil dish that was supposed to be for dinner but they ate it for afternoon snack. It was a healthy choice so I couldn't complain (too much) but it means I have more work to do tonight if I am going to have food to pack for on the go tomorrow.

I hope I am not just rambling to myself but it does happen.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#83 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 PM

I want to bake but its just way too hot. When we moved here we stupidly took AC off the list of needs for a house as "its western WA it does not get hot here" The first week we were here (3 years ago) it was 102! Its been in the 80's lately so not unbearable but def not baking weather. And I had to throw out my two loaf pans, so until I can save up to buy some I am buying bread. I hate buying bread.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#84 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 PM

DH is wearing me down on trying for #9.....our twins turned 2 last week...
someone please tell me I'm nuts for even letting him have this continual discussion with me....
#85 of 215 Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
DH is wearing me down on trying for #9.....our twins turned 2 last week...
someone please tell me I'm nuts for even letting him have this continual discussion with me....
You aren't nuts at all.....he IS!!!! My dh is broody as can be but thank goodness his sensible head is still in gear. Sharing our bedroom with a 6yo and a 2yo is getting him down and we can't see how we are going to move out of this house within the next 9 months so that we don't end up with a baby in the bed as well.
#86 of 215 Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 AM

I have a new topic: how big is your house/apartment? How many people live there? Is is enough space for you and your family?

We live in a 2000 square foot house with a garage, great garden and unfinished basement. It is starting to feel too small for my soon to be family of seven. Also, we would like to eventually have space for any grandparents who end up alone to live with us since we love all four of them etc.. However I would really like to be able to provide a small in-law apartment (as opposed to a bedroom) since I like my own space and privacy.

I'm just wondering how other families deal with this issue.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#87 of 215 Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 AM

4000 sq ft 5br plus loft area 3bath huge back yard.... family rooom and formal living that is our official PLAY ROOM lol....
#88 of 215 Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 AM

We have 1050 square feet, floor plan is here And it feels like a mansion.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#89 of 215 Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM

less 1000 sq ft here, 2+ bd rooms (2 are connected and small), 1 bath,duplex.would like to move to a single family home but not in the budget right now.but I do like living in a space that's not too big- under 15oo sq ft.just w/3 0r four real bedrooms. we have a good sized yard so that helps.in the summer. living in Minnesota we get too cold outside too long in the winter.

what does everyone drive? I agree going from 5 to 6 has made it harder to get everyone places as a whole family. we had a mini-van that sat 7 but had to buy a new vehicle as it was dying. I really wanted to find a station wagon with the next seat that popped up- but ended up w/a regular one. so we have a suv and that.we have to take 2 cars to go anywhere. now MN passed a new law requiering all kids under the age of 8 to be in a booster so we now have to have 2 boosters and los rear facing seat- untill sept when dd7 turns 8. and its a tight squeeze to get all 3 in the back seat of anything. thinking i may have to give up my wagon for a mini-van again using trying to get a way from bigger vehicles to help on gas and such. my oldest will be 16 in aug and will have her liscense in nov so that opens up drivers. the practical side of me tells me we should get a large van that'll seat us all plus extra but not sure if I could drive it, and we don't all go out together at one time very often so don't always need something that big.

do you think it's impractical to have 3 vehicles- dh's truck, wagon for me, and a big van when its nessicary to take us all out? or just the 2 and always take 2 cars out? i almost never need to seat more than four dc when I go anywhere. its either a small group that fits in a car or all of us.
#90 of 215 Old 07-11-2009, 09:33 AM

We have 2 bedrooms and not very many square feet at all - about 400ish

This is a house just across the way from ours which is for sale. You can see the floorplans there too

Ours has a flat garden which is larger than this one and an old kitchen with very few cupboards but the layout and space is exactly the same.

The price is scary isn't it? The price on dollars today would be $324,225 That is why we are stuck her and can't get a bigger house yet; a four bedroom house would be almost double what we could sell ours for and we would have to spend money to get anything close to £199,000 for ours.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page