Moms of Many JULY!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see one so I hope it's okay to start one!

We went to get our fireworks yesterday and we all just got some together vs. last year when each kid had their own bag. They of course stole from each other and pouted about another having more, etc. It was awful. When I told them about my new plan to have a family bag of fireworks we all share, my oldest said "But the fun is in the having of it." ?!

We kept all our receipts last month b/c I wanted to see what we were actually spending...I wish I didn't know!!!!! No, really, it's great. Now we can figure out how to cut back as we were over budget in every department- shocking in some areas. DH is on a river trip with friends and when he gets back I have to share the results with him, convince him to work landscaping (he's a teacher) for several weeks this summer (which he won't like hearing- he SO looks forward to playing in the summer), and also try to convince him to **build a wall in the middle of our big downstairs room (which could be a dining room, now I'm using for my preschool)...there is a door on each end of the room so it could easily become two!

I want to give our oldest his own room as he's approaching puberty...and he's terrible to his 5 yr old brother who he currently shares with. He just wants a place to read and draw in peace. It would be a little room but perfect for him- he's not materialistic so doesn't have "stuff." The other half of the room would be still used for my preschool, off the living room. Perfect. Very cheap and do-able quickly. Then we can move the two little boys in together and my daughter will have room for a desk! phew.

Oh boy! I'll bet he'll be so excited he came home!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 02:32 PM

subbing.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also subbing

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM

subbing!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM

And, OMGosh, I having twin dreams! Or nightmares, more like it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Twins are amazing!
I would have sixtuplet nightmares.

Anyway, mataji4, I'm too scared to find out what we use every month for food. I don't want to know. All organic etc. costs a lot. I close my eyes every time I grocery shop and just drag the card.

Anyway, I should get to bed.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
And, OMGosh, I having twin dreams! Or nightmares, more like it.
Welcome to my reality.

And I am also subbing....

So MoMs what the heck do you do when you're on bedrest and you have your kids locked up in the house with you all day because you have no fenced in area and live on a busy street? Grin and bare it until you give birth?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Ah Maggie that sounds tricky and I have no tips but I'll send you some patience vibes along with de-frazzling vibes!

ds1 has a dinghy which has a hole somewhere in the base so it doesn't hold air well and they can't put it on the river. The sides are fine though so ds2 and I blew it up and filled it with water for the girls to play in this afternoon. It is stiflingly hot and although I really can't complain because it is so good to be at home with all the doors open and eat outside like we did last night with my mum, I really really don't want to cook dinner tonight!

I went through a time of keeping our receipts but just a glance at each big food shop receipt tells you where the big money is going. The most expensive one off item we buy is cheese!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Hi Maggie,

I was on bedrest, but only for a month. It was the middle of winter and we were living in a big city with limited outdoor space and no place the children could be out in alone.

We read. A lot. Great things---all the Chronicles of Narnia, all of Frog and Toad, all of Martha and George, the Story of the World, science encyclopedias, joke books, all of Vriginia Lee Burton and Bill Peet.

We drew and colored, too, but reading was the lest messy and the most fun.

Call in all favors. You don't really know how much help you'll need come October, but you know you need some now.

Good luck!

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM

We save all our receipts and track online and I could hazard a guess as to what we spend on food but I am not going to do so. If I did it would be weekly figure and not monthly as that number would truly scare me. My current budget plan involves refusing to go everyday no matter what didn't get put on the list last time. We can always make it another day without something.

subbing in.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM

The kids will not stop bickering lately and its driving me nuts. Our friends are not coming for the 4th after all. Second time they have had to cancel and we have not seen them in 2 years. My patience is gone and DH and I keep getting in little arguments. Seems we are both are usually trying to say the same thing just in different ways and cannot see each others way until later. I hate communication. Oh and I hate having one car.

So there is my happy contribution to the thread.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM

I was just coming to post that I am in a pissy mood as well. 'Tis the season?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Welcome to my reality.

And I am also subbing....

So MoMs what the heck do you do when you're on bedrest and you have your kids locked up in the house with you all day because you have no fenced in area and live on a busy street? Grin and bare it until you give birth?
We went through this when I was pregnant with my youngest. It is hard and we all drove each other bonkers. We played Yahtzee a lot and we ended up hauling out our tv and dvd player. We had gone tv free several months before but, desperate times and all. I was constantly praying for patience. Once dd was born I was up and about and loving the mobility but I pushed too hard. I was just so sick of being in bed. Baby and I would have benefited from a bit more down time though.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

We have already pulled out the little TV and put it in the playroom and let me tell you my oldest (5) is in love with iCarly and has started to act the part Oh heck no! Love the book idea.

Well I'm close to birthing these two so hopefully we don't kill each other before then!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 PM

When I was on bedrest (and it was only for a month and only with 2) we watched a lot of videos, played a lot of board games, and read a lot of books.

My kids killed the boot bench/shoe shelf. Any new and improved suggestions for corralling shoes, or should I just buy another.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
When I was on bedrest (and it was only for a month and only with 2) we watched a lot of videos, played a lot of board games, and read a lot of books.

My kids killed the boot bench/shoe shelf. Any new and improved suggestions for corralling shoes, or should I just buy another.
we use an over the door canvas shoe holder since right as you come in our back door (the door off the driveway we use the most) is a door to the downstairs.
oh btw I'm Sarah.... mama to dd 10, ds 9, ds 4 1/2, ds 2 and ds 3months

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Hi! I'm Liz, mom to four. Childcare provider to a bunch more. I took eight kids to the mall playground and Barnes & Noble today.

Dh and I noticed the other day the VOLUME of food that our kids and the childcare kids consume and I was thinking maybe we could have one day here where we list how much we've used and what.

Ex:

Breakfast:

1 doz eggs
1/2 pound bacon
8 biscuits
1/2 pound cheese
1 cantalope
8 donuts
1/2 gal of chocolate soymilk

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I was just coming to post that I am in a pissy mood as well. 'Tis the season?
I was in a pissy mood with DH last night. He's not home from work yet.. so we will see how the evening progresses.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:

We have tried all kinds of shoe solutions but now have a shoe pile under the desk in the entrance vestibule. I call it the vestibule because it isn't a hallway in the british sense of the word but a 4ft square space where you can open the front door and run straight up the stairs! I have one of those Ikea shoe thingies which I keep my shoes in so I don't have to dig through the pile. Tehy do come in a set of 3 but the other two boxes are used for art stuff and there wouldn't be room for them in said vestibule anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Breakfast:

1 doz eggs
1/2 pound bacon
8 biscuits
1/2 pound cheese
1 cantalope
8 donuts
Yikes that's a lot of food!

I've been a bit ranty with dh today too but its mainly over business stuff not anything personal. This man can neither record anything on a piece of paper nor locate a piece of paper that he wrote something important on and he can never find keys. This makes things hard sometimes and I was already a bit grumpy because he woke me up this morning to tell me about a pissy call from a pissy client just to get it off his chest. :

It is stifling hot here and we English folk don't do well with heat: it makes everyone a bit impatient and unreasonable. Fine if you stay at home all day and hide from the heat but not if you do business with people....
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 PM

i was pissy last week, i got my hair cut and colored.... im still pissy but at least i have good hair now.... lol DH says 'i look the part' and yes dh still wants to get us to get pgnt... IDK....
Old 07-03-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
I went through a time of keeping our receipts but just a glance at each big food shop receipt tells you where the big money is going. The most expensive one off item we buy is cheese!
Remind me to talk to you about my cheddar dealer- £3 a lb, but he's over in Somerset.

AM, get the IKEA boxes- but screw them into the wall. I have a hole in my downstairs bathroom now because of them

Please, let it rain. Let it rain soon. I'm only 15 weeks pregnant but the way my feet look, you'd think I was at least 35 weeks along. They're so swollen with the heat
We had a scan yesterday, and there's only one in there, but it (he? she?) is measuring big for dates. I'm getting excited now, though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Hot feet, oh dear. Put something like a pillow under the your mattress so that you have your legs up when you are asleep to help you get a good 'thin feet' start to the next day.

I'm glad everything looks ok on your scan. Do you think the pickle is big for dates or the dates are different?

Do you mean DON'T screw the boxes to the wall? Mine are on the floor and will stay there!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amj'smommy View Post
we use an over the door canvas shoe holder since right as you come in our back door (the door off the driveway we use the most) is a door to the downstairs.
oh btw I'm Sarah.... mama to dd 10, ds 9, ds 4 1/2, ds 2 and ds 3months
Ok, other than ONE pair each (which I have to frequently enforce) everyone who is over the age of 12 carries shoes to thier own bedroom closets. Next to the front door I have a coffee table (with crusing kids around, I havent had a coffee table actually in front of the couch inh years!) Under it and next to it go all the grown up/older kids shoes. ON it are two laundry baskets, a regular/large basket for dd's shoes and a smaller one that holds my four year old ds's shoes. There is a shelf over it that holds the babys shoes, he is two and if you can reach them, they are GONE. Anyway, that works for us.

What I need is more space to store clothes.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 AM

subbing.

I have a very sore throat and think I am getting the flu again : :

It's also very cold here :

Oh and I have a huge stack of laundry that I need to do

Sorry to complain so much

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
Old 07-04-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Hot feet, oh dear. Put something like a pillow under the your mattress so that you have your legs up when you are asleep to help you get a good 'thin feet' start to the next day.

I'm glad everything looks ok on your scan. Do you think the pickle is big for dates or the dates are different?

Do you mean DON'T screw the boxes to the wall? Mine are on the floor and will stay there!
Head circumference is at 16+3 and by my dates I'm at 15+5- so it's not off enough that the NHS would move my dates. Abdominal circumference and femur length are commensurate with a 17 weeker, though... I don't think that this is going to be a 6lber, put it that way But hey, big babies are easier once they're on the outside.

And yes, I mean screw the boxes to the wall so that the kids can't pull them over.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 AM

nak

bedrest- anyone in your neighborhood who can come take the kids out in the yard for a 1/2 hr to hour a couple times a week? trusted teen maybe. i know how wild mine get if they don't get out some.

1 car- we have 3- 2 come aug.-but all need repair. we have a suv- dh's that needs an electric agnition cost 100ish, my wagon just blew the headgasket this week so add 400 and the mini van- going to my ex in aug, needs shocks/struts and breaks so we can't put all of us in it, it can't handle the weight and dh is using it for work.we aren't fixing the van- ex is aware of problems and will be fixing himself. so right now we are stuck sticking reallt close to home and there is not much around to do- even though we live in the city.

shoe storage- we use 2 milk crates to store the kids shoes and have that in the unused cupboard in the entertainmemt stand.all out of the way and the dc know where they go/find them.dh and i keep ours in our room- dds will use mine if i don't.dd 15 can only have 2 pairs in the basket because she has soooo many.

money/food- yup we spend the most on food too.about 700 a month.next is probably the water bill at around 100/month.

we go through a gal of milk/day, a loaf of bread/2 days,and a box of cereal/2 days. we dont eat lot of eggs all the time but when we do doz./day.juice is a biggie here- they don't get a lot but the bottles are soo small for 100% juice, we go thru 1/day.pb and jelly 1 jar ea/week. this is just the basics. i've started to have to doulbe recipes for dinners now that they are getting bigger and eating more.

im an aunt for the first time.: my sis had her son- probably her one and only, last wednesday. he was 6 lbs 8 oz @ 40.4 wks- so tiny. had a really fast and hard labor- 1 hr 45 mins.babe was transverse and they used the vaccum. she tore forward and back badly- hence the only one reason. but she also hard a really hard time w/the weigt gain- has had eating disorder all her life,but had been doing good till pg. so happy for her. and love im to death.she's bfing, cding, co-sleeping, so cool!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM

subbing

BTW, I'm Heather, and my kids are dd-12, dd-6, ds-2.5, and dd-4 months. I just feel like I need to be around people who don't think having 4 kids is completely crazy.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I was in a pissy mood with DH last night. He's not home from work yet.. so we will see how the evening progresses.
Tina are you ever in a non pissy mood at your DH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
i was pissy last week, i got my hair cut and colored.... im still pissy but at least i have good hair now.... lol DH says 'i look the part' and yes dh still wants to get us to get pgnt... IDK....
I want good hair. I need a person to come into my home and show me how to cut my hair, and dress me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
subbing

BTW, I'm Heather, and my kids are dd-12, dd-6, ds-2.5, and dd-4 months. I just feel like I need to be around people who don't think having 4 kids is completely crazy.
good to see some more mamas of 4. I feel like I am on the low end of the totem pole here sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Dh and I noticed the other day the VOLUME of food that our kids and the childcare kids consume and I was thinking maybe we could have one day here where we list how much we've used and what.

Ex:

Breakfast:

1 doz eggs
1/2 pound bacon
8 biscuits
1/2 pound cheese
1 cantalope
8 donuts
We all kind of east sporadically for breakfast but here is what we bought yesterday at Costco for the month (some items will last longer as they are all bulk being Costco and all):

2 cases of black beans
box of cheerios
case of refried beans
Box of ritz crackers (there goes my no HFCS)
case of kidney beans
10 # of carrots
Large bottle of salsa
Box of oatmeal (6 lbs I think)
Bag of org peas
Jar of Adams Peanut butter
5 lbs of block cheddar cheese
case of pasta (10 packages I think)
2 bags of frozen brocoli
Bottle of soy sauce
4 lbs of shredded cheddar
4 gallons of non fat milk (this is for 1-2 weeks I will get more later)
4 boxes of butter (This is one pkg at Costco)
10 lbs of org sugar cane
package of ground beef
2# of mozzarella
6 lbs (I think) red delicious apples
Large bag of tortillas
Small bag of whole wheat tortillas
3 lbs of bananas (will be gone in a week)
4 lbs of plain yogurt (we get two per month usually)
Half gallon of heavy whip cream
half gallon of half and half
6 lbs of grapes
4 bags of bread so 8 loaves (Had to throw away my old, old, old loaf pans last week, I hate buying bread. )
4 lbs of mini cucumbers
6 large cans of frozen oj
4 lbs of strawberries

Believe it or not this was a small month. We had beef roasts in the freezer, bags of strawberries for smoothies, etc. I also did not need any baking supplies as I am not baking as much due to the heat.

I was only over my budget of $270 by $3.07!! Guess what tax was. Yep $3.07. We bought non food items also but toothpaste and plastic wrap were it I think. Now I have $180.00 budgeted to get me through the rest of the month. Should be fine though as all I will need is milk and veggies/fruits.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 AM

Subbing. I'm only mom to 3, but they're 3 and under! I'm working as a doula now in addition to my "day job" as a research associate. My husband works 2 jobs and we're considering renting one of our "extra" rooms because we're having a lot of trouble financially. I SO want more children...we're waiting until my youngest is 2 to start trying again. I want to get my BSN and be an RN on my way to midwifery before having another child!

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m

User Tag List