Any dolls out there like the old Feral Cheryl...and other doll/dollhouse musings... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were recently out shopping & DD saw the Fisher Price Loving Family Dollhouse & was very interested. (she is almost 22 months)

The price was less than $70 for a very nice size house (i think multiple toddlers could play at the same time which is also a plus) and appeared to include ALL furniture, pets, family etc. After looking online, it seems like a good deal, but I am so hesitant to do plastic/FP stuff. Thoughts?

But the Plan Eco Dollhouse (i like their toys & this seems great) might be a little too "mature" for her right now & is also a little expensive. I would want to wait on that until she can really appreciate it.

I was searching around here for alternative ideas & came across the Feral Cheryl doll & was so into her!!!! It's such a shame they aren't being made. I checked ebay but nothing came up. If I had a couple of those, I would be inspired to make them a house, a tattoo parlor, a coffeehouse etc. LOL

Groovy Girls also seem popular but I was wondering what else people suggest for little hands?

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM

I don't know anything about it, but I have to say, the term "Feral Cheryl" would NOT make me want to buy that for my child.
#3 of 11 Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 PM

I would go with the FP dollhouse since your dd liked it. If you're concerned about buying plastic, they have tons of FP Loving Family dollhouses on ebay and craigslist usually, so you could purchase a used one.

At 22 mos. I think your dd is a bit too young for the Plan Eco house--perhaps when she's 4 or 5 you could upgrade from the FP one.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#4 of 11 Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM

LOL about Cheryl-- I remember her!!

I agree with the PP about getting the FP one if your daughter really seemed to like it. We still have Fisher Price toys from the late 1960s and they have been through many, many children. If you can find one secondhand, all the better.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 11 Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM

I had to look up Feral Cheryl! lol she's great!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Feral Cheryl is awesome! You could totally make her though. Buy a Barbie, dread her hair, draw some tattoos on.

Ya know, I'm totally going to do that! It sounds like fun!

It's complicated.
#7 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 AM

Slightly off topic but DD received a nice dollhouse for her birthday last week. Its a PBK dollhouse but some of the furniture is from Ryan's Room and some is from Plan Toys and she loooooooooves it.

Seriously, its not too advanced for her or anything.

So, you might want to take that into consideration before you spend money on something only to have to replace it later on. And CL usually has a few listings for Plan Toys dollhouses in my area.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#8 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

At 22 mos. I think your dd is a bit too young for the Plan Eco house--perhaps when she's 4 or 5 you could upgrade from the FP one.
I'm curious why people always say this? Do you have any specific reasons?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#9 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
I'm curious why people always say this? Do you have any specific reasons?
I'm only going off of my dd at 22 who would not have liked the Plan house. She was never much into dolls at that age but if I had gotten her a dollhouse that looked more like our house (I personally find the Plan houses too modernistic and confusing). With dd, she likes things that look more like what she's used to seeing, and the Plan houses, imo, are a bit abstract for her. I also don't know how well she would have been able to manipulate the dolls within the structure (I've never seen it in person to know, and I wouldn't pay $240 to find out). To me, the Plan house would be interesting and fun for an older child who could "get" the cool features, but those would be sort of lost on a 2-year-old--unless you have windpower and solar panels in your own home.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#10 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Learning_Mum-love your idea of using a barbie to recreate cheryl! my brother is an art teacher & loves to work with sharpees so he could do some nice "ink" for her. and yeah-i could totally dread her hair! LOL so funny.

Question about ebay for plastic toys-my 1st priority is always dd's safety & while for the environment, I prefer to buy used, what does everyone think about old plastics vs new plastics in terms of safety? She does still put things in her mouth (drives me nuts). Are there worse chemicals in the older, used stuff or does the fact that it has so much time to 'off gas' make it a better option?

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#11 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm not sure which one you all mean by the Plan Toys "eco dollhouse", but what about their "My First Dollhouse"? We got that one for dd1 for Christmas, and she really likes it. It's got lots of open space for reaching in and playing. (Of course, dd1 didn't like the plain wood, so we got this lovely, non-toxic, rubberwood house...and painted it.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page