Toddler screaming for over an hour in a store - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
DD's friend (4 years old) with sensory issues skinned his knee at our house. He literally sobbed for 2 straight hours. There was nothing that could comfort him (and he had 4 adults trying). I'm sure the neighbors thought "someone should pick that child up!" or "what's wrong with those parents! Why don't they DO SOMETHING!!!"

Who knows what the child's history is, and whether the parents were handling it to the best of their abilities or were neglectful. I only know that I, as a stranger, have way less information than they do, and compassion for the whole family is rarely the wrong response.
See, there's the difference - your situation involved the adults actually trying to comfort the child.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#182 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Wow, they had it easy! TWO parents and only one screaming/tired child. I'd give my right eye to have my DH with me in the grocery store when one of my kids pitches a fit!! I'd be more than happy to leave the shopping to dh and take the screaming child for a walk and a snack outside, or visa versa!
Why didn't one of them do that?? How mean, poor little guy probably just didn't want to be GROCERY SHOPPING AT BEDTIME!
Another thing....when I worked as a cashier years ago, I'd fasttrack the Mom/Dad with the screaming child through the line. some people would get upset, but tough, the child needs to go home, not stand in a long line.
As a solo shopper with three kids I've had my share of tantrums, as well as my share of nasty comments and dirty looks : ( so I'd never say anything.
What I have done though, when someone's child is totally losing it in the grocery store line is trade spots with them (if I'm ahead), help them bag their groceries, or get my own kids to distract the screaming child (it works more often than not) .
Poor little guy, I hope they took him right home and let him go to sleep!
#183 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Oh no! The thread that wouldn't die! It's back!
#184 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
How self-absorbed to think you have the right to ruin other people's shopping/dining/whatever.
I just find this odd. Seriously? How self absorbed is anyone else to feel that they are entitled to shop in *public* place without hearing a toddler tantrum?
#185 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Oh no! The thread that wouldn't die! It's back!
O my goodness...I just thought the exact same thing...I had to double take...I was like "MY WORD! Could it BE....wait, IT IS!!!"

I totally thought this thread was locked!!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#186 of 186 Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Oh how funny!! I didn't notice the dates!

I don't have time to check in here but a couple times a week and certainly didn't have time to read through the whole thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page