Forum Jump: 

#91 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
Eh

People call their kids all kinds of pet names. I often call dd "ma'am" which is probably far more ridiculous than "buddy" and definitely a more impersonal term for the vast majority of people. But that's just what I call her sometimes, as in "thank you, ma'am." "Could you help me, ma'am?", "Excuse me, ma'am." etc.

If she were a boy, I might well call her buddy, instead
Yeah, I call my daughter "ma'am," "hey lady," and "guy." Like, "don't cry, little guy!" I think it's funny

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 AM

The nicknames we call our kids are so personal. I had to read this thread because I have a friend who calls her son buddy and it always sounds funny to me -- not that it isn't loving or sweet but it's just not a nickname I would ever think to use. I don't know why since the things I call my kids are very silly and random and seem to change every few months, so I'm certainly in no position to judge!
#93 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 04:59 AM

I don't know how it could be cold. You like your buddy, right?

We call ds Buddy, dude, Keagor (his name is Keagan... and we really enjoyed tragdor if anyone knows what that is...) the Keagan-ator, little man, child, boy, curls... there are a lot. DD we call chunk-chunk, Miss E, pretty, Miss Thing. She's only three months, I am sure she will get more nick names soon enough

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#94 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 AM

Popping in again to evoke judgment as I share that among our many nicknames for our dc, is the one that dh commonly uses to gather them, so it's the one he typically says the loudest and most often in public.

"Come one, weirdoes!" says dh in a singsong, jolly way.

Who would think 'weirdo' could be so endearing?! I call them weirdees. They really love it.

Chubba-wubba (a giant infant nickname- we make giants here), monkeys, man cubs, manlets, kidlets, littles, boogers, goobers, and the name they take for themselves which depends on the role they are playing (they are usually in character)- so dragon, cheetah, lion, tiger, melificent, medusa, griffin, ogre, orc, wizard, queen, king, whatever...

And even more common than our regular use of 'buddy', which trumps all of the aforementioned, is 'Sonshine,' a relic from many generations of my dh's family.

I think if I heard a parent calling a child "Hey, little @#$^%&*!" I might actually be concerned about the relationship, but even then, it would have to sound nasty or cold before I would evaluate it as anything but fun, and none of my business.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#95 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
I don't know how it could be cold. You like your buddy, right?

We call ds Buddy, dude, Keagor (his name is Keagan... and we really enjoyed tragdor if anyone knows what that is...) the Keagan-ator, little man, child, boy, curls... there are a lot. DD we call chunk-chunk, Miss E, pretty, Miss Thing. She's only three months, I am sure she will get more nick names soon enough

We love adding "-OR" to the end of names too. Our boys all want to grow up to be barbarians, so they really enjoy the -OR-ness of a nickname.

We also have a lot of Mr. ____ pants (jolly, grumpy, jumpy, etc- it's playful and helps them out of grouchiness) and Mr. Reachy-Grabby, Mr. Eat-My-Foody, etc... you get the pattern. Our boys love coming up with creative names with the Mr. and -y combination.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#96 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa724 View Post
i call my younger son "buddy" and my older son "pal". That's so i don't get them mixed up.
Love it!!!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#97 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If I don't manage to drop calling ds "Babe" before he is a teenager, I'll probably have people thinking weird thoughts about us.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#98 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:03 AM

I haven't read all the responses, but I sorta agree with OP, judgmental as I may be. To me--not to everyone of course--but to me saying "Buddy" sorta puts the child is on your equal and adult wavelength, not as your little coddling. It's an arms-length term of endearment. I reminds me of that movie (and book, but I never read the book) The Hours where the mom calls her 4 year old "Bug." "Hey, Bug!" is cute sounding enough, until you realize she kind of can't stand him and he bugs her, and that's how she developped the nickname. Buddy sorta reminds me of that...that this isn't your baby, your child, the fruit of your loins, the light of your life, this is your buddy and you love this buddy but mostly just on the baseball field or side by side on the barstool. Buttt, maybe I'm reading too much into things. Just to clarify, I know everyone here DOES love their children, no matter what they call them, I'm not saying that they don't. But I wont' be calling my DS "Buddy." He's Cutie or Sweetheart or his name.
#99 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, Charles Ingalls called Laura "Half Pint" and I don't think it showed that he put her on the same level as a dairy product.
#100 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Well, Charles Ingalls called Laura "Half Pint" and I don't think it showed that he put her on the same level as a dairy product.
I agree. (???)
#101 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 AM

I posted earlier, and I do use bud as well as a number of other nicknames. But I get what OP is saying. It's CAN be used as something of a put down, like when the somebody calls you hun as in, "sure, sure hon. whatever you say."

I use bud when I am feeling chummy as opposed to sweet and loving. I use bucko when I'm peeved, as in "this is the third time, bucko, towels go in the laundry."

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#102 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:25 AM

#103 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd1amommy View Post
I must really be cold and unaffectionate because I actually call my son Budweiser sometimes instead of Bud.

hh2.gif

#104 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Our DD gets:

meat stick
popcorn spagetti face
hot dog spaghetti face
pizza
coos-coos
ruru
pig face
miss grabby hands
saggy butt
mushroom face
Dirty Bum
hobo Baby
Showtime

Many, many food items. Sometimes people look at us like we're crazy when we go out...we just don't really call her by her given name!

Most of the time she is called: Bebe (with a short "e") and that's what she responds to..that and "spaghetti face" - which is a bit off, because she doesn't eat a lot of spaghetti.

But someday I know she will get a "buddy" or two from me. My DHs mom calls her two sons "bud" and it's sweet, she has more affection for her kids than most mamas I know...they are her whole world..so, if it were cold, she wouldn't be sayin' it!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#105 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
I Keagor (his name is Keagan... and we really enjoyed tragdor if anyone knows what that is...) the Keagan-ator,
There's plenty of Trogdor at our house.

Maybe the OP is thinking of Pauly Shore...I can't see that Buuuuuuh-dee would drive me nuts!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#106 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd1amommy View Post
I must really be cold and unaffectionate because I actually call my son Budweiser sometimes instead of Bud.

I don't have boys, so it doesn't fit into my nickname/terms of endearment list; but I do use it for foster dogs that come without a name until we come up with something that suits them better. I will say that I used it for one foster for 2 days until his chip info came back with his real name. He must have decided that his new life had begun b/c he refused to answer to Levi, which had been his name for 10 years. He would only respond to Buddy, so Buddy he became.

OTH, I know lots of people who use it with their kids and it always sounds sweet to me. No different from me calling DD1 "Baby".

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#107 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We call the boys buddy, pumpkin pie, spanky, Mr.Stinky Pants, love bug, tickle butt, babe, etc.

Our youngest we call Bubba, which is nothing we would ever have thought to call him, but my dad started calling him that as a term of endearment and it just stuck. So he's often Bubba, Bubby, Bubbalubba. But I just love the way my dad says, "Hey Bubba!" and my little guy flies into my dad's arms.

My parents often call me and my sisters #1, #2, #3 and I refer to them as my "parental units."

So I think any term can be twisted to be either loving or mean. It's not the term, it's the meaning behind it.

#108 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 AM

I call them all bubba (wow I thought i was the only one, haha)

My spouse says buddy to our sons and it is a term of endearment.
#109 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM

I haven't read the replies, but we call our ds buddy sometimes. I often refer to him as my little buddy. No offense, but I think you're overthinking it.
#110 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
I haven't read all the responses, but I sorta agree with OP, judgmental as I may be. To me--not to everyone of course--but to me saying "Buddy" sorta puts the child is on your equal and adult wavelength, not as your little coddling. It's an arms-length term of endearment. I reminds me of that movie (and book, but I never read the book) The Hours where the mom calls her 4 year old "Bug." "Hey, Bug!" is cute sounding enough, until you realize she kind of can't stand him and he bugs her, and that's how she developped the nickname. Buddy sorta reminds me of that...that this isn't your baby, your child, the fruit of your loins, the light of your life, this is your buddy and you love this buddy but mostly just on the baseball field or side by side on the barstool. Buttt, maybe I'm reading too much into things. Just to clarify, I know everyone here DOES love their children, no matter what they call them, I'm not saying that they don't. But I wont' be calling my DS "Buddy." He's Cutie or Sweetheart or his name.
Huh.
Well, I call my son sweetie, lovebug, bug, stinkie, mr smelly-feet, McGillicutty, kiddo, the boy, and probably a bunch of others that come out w/out me thinking about it.
He knows he is the light of my life, I don't worry about making sure my nicknames reflect that.
#111 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 AM

I call my son Buddy or Bud or Bubbalah all the time, though when he was five he nixed me calling him Boo since it's A baby name, Mom." My husband calls our son 'Little Buddy' and me 'Lovey', so my son calls him the 'Professor' or 'Mr.Howell'. I think we love each other.

I used work pediatric ICU and we once lost seven year old, the only child of a single dad, and I still remember the dad crying, "Don't leave me, Buddy." I cared that little boy off and on for three years and he was most certainly loved by his dad. I still cry when I think about him. Sometimes, I think of them both when I call my son, Buddy.
#112 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

I'm trying to remember all of the nicknames I've called my kids thus far.

Squirt, pee wee, sweet pea, love bug, bug, munchkin, little man, handsome, baby bub, babe, turkey, nut ball, bud, cutie pie, you guys (Yes, I'm from WI originally, everyone is a guy there).
#113 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
The other thing I always call kids is buggers. Specifically when something really sad happened. I will say, "Oh, poor little bugger!" I've gotten some weird looks on that one, but I got it from my dad and I just can't shake it. It's just what you say to express your sympathy for a kid who's having a hard time!
My mom said that too when we were growing up. Though it was usually when we were doing something we weren't supposed to, as in "you little buggers".
#114 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwlwithowlet View Post
I call my son Buddy or Bud or Bubbalah all the time, though when he was five he nixed me calling him Boo since it's A baby name, Mom." My husband calls our son 'Little Buddy' and me 'Lovey', so my son calls him the 'Professor' or 'Mr.Howell'. I think we love each other.

I used work pediatric ICU and we once lost seven year old, the only child of a single dad, and I still remember the dad crying, "Don't leave me, Buddy." I cared that little boy off and on for three years and he was most certainly loved by his dad. I still cry when I think about him. Sometimes, I think of them both when I call my son, Buddy.
Ohhh...that just made me cry.
I dont call my son Buddy, but my DH does. He actually uses it more when he is being extra nurturing...like if DS is crying he will be murmuring "Aw Buddy, what's the matter?"
I did call him Bubby when he was a lillte baby (Buddy + Baby).
Now he is Handsom-Head, Sweet-Boy & Peanut Butter

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#115 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 PM

I think it's just all about inflection. Maybe the OP heard it used in a really cold way. I agree with the pp who said she'd heard a child's name used like a curse. I've heard that, too. I may have done that!

Mommy to kids

#116 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I frequently call my kids "dude" or "dudes" because we watched a movie once and everybody was using dude and we started as a joke. They call me mama dude.
Sweet!
#117 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM

My dad does this. It is his term of endearment. "Hey bud it was great to see ya!" Big hug. My dad did not grow up in an emotionally supportive household and for him this is a HUGE display of affection.
I don't mind it, I think it is sweet.

I should add, my dad uses this term for all 3 of us (grown up) girls as well as the two younger boys in our family.
#118 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 PM

I call everyone-- EVERYONE-- "Buddy" or "Lovey."

No kids, but I'm a nanny. 6-yr-old boy gets Buddy, BuddyGuy, Bud, Schmuvaluv, Little Dude, Little Guy, Little Man, Friend, Little Friend and occasionally Lovey or Captain. 2-yr-old girls BuddyGirl, E***Bear, Bud, Schnuggles and LoveyBear.

My husband (!) gets Lovey, Lover, Sweetheart (usually on the phone in a message-- "Hi sweetheart, it's me..."), Schmuvs, Big Puppy (in contrast to our dog, who gets Little Puppy), Big Hairy, Big Fuzzy, etc...

My dog and my parents' dog get Baby, Buddy, BuddyBoy, Fattie, Little Hairy, Little Fuzzy, Fuzzy Buckets, Gremlin, Jealous Beast, Grendel, etc ad nauseam...

Some of my brothers also get Bud, especially my brother Bob who also gets Bubba, Bubbaluv, BubbyShmuv...

I could go on and on with the list of people I embarrass on a daily basis with my overly affectionate nicknames, haha!

#119 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM

I call my kids all sorts of things. It's like a mental grab-bag. "Buddy" comes up once in a while. Stinky-butt too. Occasionally "boobie" which happens when I can't decide between buddy and baby and my mouth starts working before my brain figures it out. They're all terms of endearment.
#120 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Oh, and our nicknames are:

Squishyface, Squinchelsonfordvillesonmc, Beeps, Beek-Beek, Pordbilleson

Loobygooby, Loobs, Loo, Bugs Buggy, Buggles, Bugglesworth

We are weirdos.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page