Parents who call their child "buddy"? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also don't think bud or buddy is cold. It's an affectionate word for close friend where I come from.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using most of the nicknames in this thread but I have no issue with other people using them.

OP- What nicknames do you prefer for your kids?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#122 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
I think its ok.. i have a friend that calls her DS buddy ALL.THE.TIME. to the point i could not even remember his name... he loves it!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#123 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM

#124 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Well, Charles Ingalls called Laura "Half Pint" and I don't think it showed that he put her on the same level as a dairy product.
thats really funny!

Katie
#125 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwlwithowlet View Post

I used work pediatric ICU and we once lost seven year old, the only child of a single dad, and I still remember the dad crying, "Don't leave me, Buddy." I cared that little boy off and on for three years and he was most certainly loved by his dad. I still cry when I think about him. Sometimes, I think of them both when I call my son, Buddy.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#126 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
I haven't read all the responses, but I sorta agree with OP, judgmental as I may be. To me--not to everyone of course--but to me saying "Buddy" sorta puts the child is on your equal and adult wavelength, not as your little coddling. It's an arms-length term of endearment. I reminds me of that movie (and book, but I never read the book) The Hours where the mom calls her 4 year old "Bug." "Hey, Bug!" is cute sounding enough, until you realize she kind of can't stand him and he bugs her, and that's how she developped the nickname. Buddy sorta reminds me of that...that this isn't your baby, your child, the fruit of your loins, the light of your life, this is your buddy and you love this buddy but mostly just on the baseball field or side by side on the barstool. Buttt, maybe I'm reading too much into things. Just to clarify, I know everyone here DOES love their children, no matter what they call them, I'm not saying that they don't. But I wont' be calling my DS "Buddy." He's Cutie or Sweetheart or his name.
See I don't get that completely. Along with the small people in the house I call the following people buddy: Babymomma, brother, dad, hubby, mom. So basically, the list of people who can walk up and hug me without asking and without getting shoved in the mud are the people I call buddy.

That is it. I don't call someone buddy if they are just "on the baseball field or side by side on the barstool" friend. They don't get nicknames cause they aren't close enough to my heart.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#127 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
See I don't get that completely. Along with the small people in the house I call the following people buddy: Babymomma, brother, dad, hubby, mom. So basically, the list of people who can walk up and hug me without asking and without getting shoved in the mud are the people I call buddy.

That is it. I don't call someone buddy if they are just "on the baseball field or side by side on the barstool" friend. They don't get nicknames cause they aren't close enough to my heart.
The bolded part made me giggle!

I have heard *buddy* used much in the same way as *chief*, *pal*, and *jacka$$* but its usually one adult male to another over some "slight" (as in, "Hey buddy, move your car" or whatever). Maybe this is what the OP was thinking?

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#128 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM

We call our ds Buddy and have since the day he was born.

I am sorry but I just don't get how a nickname can make you a less caring more cold parent.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#129 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 05:44 PM

we've been calling ds little buddy since he was born, and i can assure you it's meant with the greatest sense of warmth and affection. he's got a whole host of other nicknames- right now my favorite is robbers or mr robbers, cause his name is Robert...

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#130 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Well, Charles Ingalls called Laura "Half Pint" and I don't think it showed that he put her on the same level as a dairy product.
For real.

Growing up my dad had the following nicknames for me:
Ham Bone
Coon Dog
Piss Ant

I am 36 years old and to this day he still calls me "Ham" and "Coon" when I am visiting. They've never been anything except terms of endearment and I can't imagine anyone thinking that my father LITERALLY considered me a bone, a dog or an ant. Some folks just have no sense of humor I suppose.
#131 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My father was raised in Mississippi and he always called my brother "little buddy." To us, it is a warm and affectionate term of endearment. My sister now calls her son "buddy" in a loving and lilting voice.
#132 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have removed numeorus posts from this thread. Please keep the UA in mind when posting.

Quote:
. Do not post in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, name-calling, personal attack or in any way which violates the law.

Do not post or start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.

#133 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM

I found myself calling DS1 buddy today while consoling him. I don't care if its really right or not in some peoples eyes, to my son it makes him feel loved and his feelings valuable when I say this to him when he is down. It's the whole, I'm here with you I care thing and really I could call him pickle but its the emotion behind the word and the word buddy just happens to be the placemark delivering the emotion.
#134 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM

I have about three gazillion nicknames for each of my children. I use terms of endearment all the time, calling them love or smooch or dear or, well, anything under the sun! And I frequently call them buddy. I don't know, it's all said with love.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#135 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 08:41 PM

I'm just curious what prompted this thread. A nickname in itself is generally endearing, whether it's buddy, bug or sweetie.
#136 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Not at this point semantics would be worth debating since the non, -buddyers are clearly in the minority, I think when I posted I was saying what "a buddy" means to ME.
#137 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I call my kids buddy

Yep. Its always said lovingly.
#138 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM

So, I'm really wishy washy when it comes to stuff I don't know anything about so I am not 100% committed to my thoughts in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
To me, saying "Buddy" sorta puts the child on your equal and adult wavelength, not as your little coddling. It's an arms-length term of endearment.

...that this isn't your baby, your child, the fruit of your loins, the light of your life, this is your buddy and you love this buddy.
I think.... and of course, I'm just guessing and I know everyone who may use the term has their own reasons and most likely it's cause they love their 'little buddy'.....

Buddy is most commonly used by fathers toward their sons as a term of endearment because anything more affectionate, such as honey, sweetie, sugar plum, cutie pie, sweetums, darling, dear son, etc. would not be approved of in this society because it's not 'manly' enough.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#139 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
So, I'm really wishy washy when it comes to stuff I don't know anything about.

I think.... and of course, I'm just guessing and I know everyone who may use the term has their own reasons and most likely it's cause they lover their 'little buddy'.....

Buddy is most commonly used by fathers toward their sons as a term of endearment because anything more affectionate, such as honey, sweetie, sugar plum, cutie pie, sweetums, darling, dear son, etc. would not be approved of in this society because it's not 'manly' enough.
I can see how some people would do that. I use buddy more then my husband does though. I also use sweetie, baby bear, honey, and probably a bunch of things I don't even realize. My son likes it, and the love he is getting when I use the term always makes him feel better. If an outside things its cold that is okay, because my son is feeling the warmth of the statement and he is the one whose opinion matter in that moment. I am talking to him to make him feel better, not to look like anything special to anyone who may be eavesdropping on our special moment.
#140 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 PM

If only I could list all the nicknames we have for our little man! Its endless! I'm not sure we've used the one Buddy, but I do call him Bubbs - and I'm not even sure thats a word! Or a name of any sort for that matter!

Lets see, theres, scootch, squishy man, Link, smiley man, sweetie, fuzzy head, happy man, babe, cutie pie, and I've had a long day so I can't remember the others. But, I'm not sure I could remember all of them at once anyway.

but why would Buddy be any less endearing than any of the others I've listed? What about Sport as a nickname - I've heard that used and think its cute.
#141 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 PM

I don't call my boys buddy,I prefer using every other nickname under the sun, but DH calls DS1 buddy all the time and has done it since he was a baby.
#142 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post

I know my husband does this sometimes in public after he's told someone my long haired, pastel wearing 3 year old is a boy, and they keep saying she and her as if he never said it. That's when I hear him start calling him "buddy" and "little man." It sort of bugs me when dh does this, but it REALLY bugs him when people ignore him when he or my son say that he's a boy (doesn't bug him for people to assume he's a girl, just when people ignore it after they's been told).
#143 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
hmm...I call ds2 "goober" sometimes. Maybe it's good that I'm homeschooling.
My aunt and uncle called my cousin Goober...cause he was a preemie and so much smaller than their other kids they called him peanut, the by about 3 months old he had more than made up for it and was a huge chubby guy, so he was their chocolate covered peanut...a goober. His brother couldn't say goober so called him boober...and it stuck, he is still boober or boob to this day, he's 19.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#144 of 208 Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 PM

DH calls DS 'buddy' and he loves him more than anything. Nothing cold there. I don't even think that my husband EVER actually thought about it the way it is discussed about it here.

joy.gif
#145 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 AM

I've called DS buddy a few times. His "official" nickname was Bubbadoo. I have also called him bub, babe, honey, sweety, goomba, etc.
#146 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM

It's a guy thing, in our family. Dh calls ds 'buddy'. I call the kids "sweetpea" or "hon" or "babe" or "bambino/a"

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#147 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
After lurking for a full 6 months this is what makes me register. It's little half-pint of apple cider half drunk. No dairy, just produce .

My little brother was my "Bud" until he died. Remember that doll "My Buddy"? "My buddy, my buddy, wherever I go, he goes..... my buddy and me like to climb up a tree..."

We (my father and myself) used to ask him if he was our buddy all the time. It started with some old guy at the local diner announcing that his buddy had arrived whenever my little brother's three year old self walked through the door. Sigh.

Bud is still one of the most common words that comes out of my mouth with the kids I care for and I call my own child Ma most of the time.
#148 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 AM

The strangest nickname I gave my Dd is, "Mrs. McPheeley" I have no idea where it came from but DS is now, "Mr. Mcpheely"
So when it's time to leave I am often heard saying, "Let's go Mr. and Mrs. McPheeley"
I'm not even really sure how to spell it.
I also call them wackoes
noodleheads
ramalamas
pumpkinpies
stinky and stinky butt

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#149 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
The strangest nickname I gave my Dd is, "Mrs. McPheeley" I have no idea where it came from but DS is now, "Mr. Mcpheely"
So when it's time to leave I am often heard saying, "Let's go Mr. and Mrs. McPheeley"
Like from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? I think he was the Mailman

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#150 of 208 Old 07-12-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valval View Post
After lurking for a full 6 months this is what makes me register. It's little half-pint of apple cider half drunk. No dairy, just produce .

My little brother was my "Bud" until he died. Remember that doll "My Buddy"? "My buddy, my buddy, wherever I go, he goes..... my buddy and me like to climb up a tree..."

We (my father and myself) used to ask him if he was our buddy all the time. It started with some old guy at the local diner announcing that his buddy had arrived whenever my little brother's three year old self walked through the door. Sigh.

Bud is still one of the most common words that comes out of my mouth with the kids I care for and I call my own child Ma most of the time.
I can SO relate to registering just to get to talk about the half-pint thing. As you can see by my join date and post count, I'm a lurker too. Little House geek here -- my best friend and I have many long-running jokes involving quotes from the books that go all the way back to high school (we're late 30's now and both have kids!).

I'm so sorry you lost your "Bud." thanks for sharing your sweet memories with us.

Also - welcome to MDC!

Amy

: mom to one 12-year-old waterborn ball of fire :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page