Parents who call their child "buddy"? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I call my youngest 'my buddy' or 'little buddy' all the time.

I do get what you are saying by people screaming into traffic,
"Hey , Buddy!" but I say it in a pretty different manner.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#182 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
As for Dads---my secure DH calls our DS "Sweetheart" and "Sweetie." Never "Buddy" or "Sport" or "Chief" or "Big Guy." All these "manly" ones just sound so locker-roomish and that's not how we are. We did get a chuckle a few years back watching Officer Wiggam on the Simpsons watching a school play and his lone voice shoots over the silent audience and says "Ralphie, get off the stage, Sweetheart." It stuck with us. But I think to DH the "Sweetheart" to a boy sounded just more lovey than trying to toughen the kid up with "Champ," and since DH has a piss-poor relationshiop with his father, I think that he wants to foster a closer bond with DS.
I don't get how a nickname could at all be trying to toughen a kid up...I don't see sweetheart sounding any more lovey dovey than buddy or sport, it depends on how you say it, not what you are saying.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#183 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM

LMBO I can't go through this entire thing, but wow, I guess we all have our little things. I've been known to call my boys "buddy", definitely with affection (same as I call them sweetie pie, pumpkin, monkey...) and definitely NOT to toughen them up or make them manly or denigrate them LOL

I *think* I can see the issue, I mean, "buddy" can be said rudely, but it's the tone that makes it so, not the word. You can say lots of nice words in a rude way. Someone made a good point about baby/babe -- by the wrong person, in the wrong tone of voice, it can be quite insulting. Or...not. And I also "get" that people sometimes use stereotypical terms ("sport" for boys, "princess" for girls...) but trust me when I say that turning our little buddies into jocks is the least of our intentions LOL (I do admit to being bothered by birth announcements introducing "our future ballerina" or "future linebacker" -- like I said, we all have our little things I guess!
#184 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
OP- "buddy" means "friend", most often (but not always) "male friend". When we call children "buddy", we are saying "little friend," as in, "little person I'm glad I have around."

When we call a bad driver "buddy", we are using it like "friend" as in "comrade": a general term for someone with whom we share the planet. It is used instead of a derogatory term when one wishes to remain civil. "Honey", "baby", and "bubba" can all be used in this way.

There are a lot of polysemes in English.

This is a good answer for the OP. I'm quoting it, Edna, in case it gets too lost because it seems this thread has turned into a 'what nickname do you use' thread.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#185 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
This is a good answer for the OP. I'm quoting it, Edna, in case it gets too lost because it seems this thread has turned into a 'what nickname do you use' thread.
I like what Edna said as well!

I call my kids lots of pet names, and Buddy is among them, I mean it lovingly and they know it. In the end, that is what is important.
#186 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 06:29 PM

When ds#1 was a newborn I called him bubby. And it was certainly a term of endearment.

(Sniffle, now he's a big 2 year old. And we call him little man.)

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#187 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 07:08 PM

DS is Bud or Buddy. I never thought I"d use it, but I do.

I don't remember a time ever when I have spoken coldly towards any of my children, whatever nicknames they have.

Weird. But there you go.
#188 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwlwithowlet View Post
I used work pediatric ICU and we once lost seven year old, the only child of a single dad, and I still remember the dad crying, "Don't leave me, Buddy." I cared that little boy off and on for three years and he was most certainly loved by his dad. I still cry when I think about him. Sometimes, I think of them both when I call my son, Buddy.
Oh my gosh, that is so sad.

for that dad's little Buddy
#189 of 208 Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
OP- "buddy" means "friend", most often (but not always) "male friend". When we call children "buddy", we are saying "little friend," as in, "little person I'm glad I have around."

When we call a bad driver "buddy", we are using it like "friend" as in "comrade": a general term for someone with whom we share the planet. It is used instead of a derogatory term when one wishes to remain civil. "Honey", "baby", and "bubba" can all be used in this way.

There are a lot of polysemes in English.
:

I used to get this with sweetheart; as in "Listen sweatheart..." right before getting told off by a customer. I never mistook it for a term of endearment. I call my son buddy or buds a lot and he has never taken it for anything but a nickname filled with love and affection. It's the intentions behind the words that make them what they are.

For what it's worth, I also call my son Trouble quite at bit... but never in a negative way!

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#190 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa724 View Post
I call my younger son "Buddy" and my older son "Pal". That's so I don't get them mixed up.
How funny! My husband has the same nicknames for our two sons.
#191 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
Am I the only one that calls their daughter *buddy*? :

(Actually, just about every child I come into contact with gets called *buddy* at some point, boy or girl.)
I do! Confuses the heck out of strangers sometimes, too, especially if she's wearing something clearly "girlish".

I've never understood why a word that to me means friend can only be applied to boys.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#192 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM

I don't use the term buddy, but I don't see anything wrong with it for those who do use it... it just doesn't flow off my tongue.

DS's nicknames:

The Boy (when we're talking about him; and not to be confused with boy, which is our nickname for one of our cats)
baby (which sometimes turns into bubby and bub), and Mr. Baby, oh and at the appropriate time we will call him Mr. Poopy Pants

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#193 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Oh well. It's endearing to us. I call my sons all kinds of "rough" names. It's cutely ironic to use these names, especially when they are soft and cuddly little things.

The nicknames I use, which would probably sound too rough to the OP include: buddy, bud, kid, thing, thinglet, dude.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#194 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM

I feel compelled to say...all this talk of "buddy", "pal", etc has only one thing circling my head over and over....

I'm not your buddy, pal!

I'm not your pal, friend!

I'm not your friend, guy!

I'm not your guy, buddy!

Okay...yeah, I'm a secret South Park dork...sorry!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#195 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
I do! Confuses the heck out of strangers sometimes, too, especially if she's wearing something clearly "girlish".

I've never understood why a word that to me means friend can only be applied to boys.
I call my daughter buddy, bud, bro, man, dude, and once in a great while brotherman, all as terms of endearment. She is the femmiest girl EVER so I think it's hilarious. It freaks other people out, though
#196 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Oh well. It's endearing to us. I call my sons all kinds of "rough" names. It's cutely ironic to use these names, especially when they are soft and cuddly little things.

The nicknames I use, which would probably sound too rough to the OP include: buddy, bud, kid, thing, thinglet, dude.

pak, lol.

i loooooove this. :

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#197 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

This is a hilarious thread, I thought I would chime in! I call my daughter honey bun and my son buddy boy, sometimes more than I use their names~ If I happen to call my daughter buddy, she takes issue and says that she is not a boy!

mom to Zoe 12-04 and Titus 5-07 both:
#198 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshoppinghabit View Post
Whenever I hear a parent address their child "bud" or "buddy" it just doesn't ever sound warm or affectionate or even feel like a term of endearment to me. It sounds kind of cold. I could never imagine addressing either of my kids that, but maybe that's my take on it.
I call both my kids bud on occasion. I never stop to think what someone ELSE thinks of it; it doesn't matter one bit, truly. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#199 of 208 Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM

I call my DS Potato, Lovebug, and Stinker. All are definitely meant in the sweetest way, and never used derogatorily.
#200 of 208 Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 AM

I call DS Buddy, but he likes it. Such that sometimes, I'll call him either his name, or a different nickname, and he says, "No, I'm buddy/bud."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

Well, Charles Ingalls called Laura "Half Pint" and I don't think it showed that he put her on the same level as a dairy product.

I call DD Half Stack, but I don't equate her worth at the same level as pancakes.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#201 of 208 Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I think of my 13month old baby as my attorney. 

#202 of 208 Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

I never used to. But my FIL and MIL called their son "bud" or "dude" all the time and now call our son that. I've heard it so often, I've begun calling him bud/buddy,sometimes I get tongue-tied and call him "Bubby". But I've also called him "sweetheart" and "sweety" and "honey" and "love" and "Gavineesta"..... lol... But it is all a form of endearment. The only one I don't really like is "dude", that one always seemed.."cold" as the OP puts it, to me. But to each his/her own.

#203 of 208 Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM

I used to call my daughter "Bear", because she growled when she was mad as a baby. I call them both, at times, Bud, Buddy, Bud-reaux, Dude, Babe, Bubba, Grumpy, Sweetheart, Friend, Hey You, Mijo/Mija, etc. It's all a matter of tone and how it's meant. 

Such a silly thing to get worked up over... 

#204 of 208 Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM

I call mine brats. Crazy. Dude. That what works for us. I do not care who thinks what about my family language.  And we make gay joke. Because some of us are  .

#205 of 208 Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Funny old thread resurrected! 

Yes, we call both DS and DD "bud" or "buddy" from time to time, along with a bunch of other endearments, including nicknames evolved from their first names, and much "softer" terms like "sweetie" and "honey". Yesterday, DD mentioned that she wished the nickname "Ace" had stuck for her. My friends gave it to her when she was still in utero. 

I'm partial to "mate" which I've heard parents from the U.K., New Zealand and Australia use to address their sons and daughters. It sounds cheery and relaxed and conveys a friendliness. Unfortunately, I don't think it works without the right accent. A North American doesn't sound right saying "mate" - at least to my ears. That's totally a personal opinion. YMMV.  

#206 of 208 Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My fiance calls his son and my youngest son "Buddy" and his son often calls my youngest son, "Buddy" as well.  It's a nickname I can't stand, but I don't know why I can't stand it,  but it's used as an endearment, so I don't pay it any mind.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#207 of 208 Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM

People don't choose their pet name to invoke warm fuzzy feelings in bystanders. It's about their relationships with their kids.

Editing in: it does kind of annoy me when unrelated and barely-known people use terms like "buddy" with my kids. I know that they're trying to be nice, though, and that it's my issue.

My mother went off on me once for calling my son "little man." Apparently I was supposed to know that her mother-in-law used to do that and therefore it was painful and disturbing to hear it come out of my mouth. dizzy.gif

I do enjoy exploring language and culture though. Interesting thread.

#208 of 208 Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

wow what an old thread!!! sniff. sniff. miss many of the old posters. sniff.

oh boy it reminds me of my very first post here on MDC. and sure enough it was a cultural faux pas. thankfully one of the posters guessed i was an immigrant and things cooled off. 

oh olly your mate reference takes me back years. dd loved, loved, loved the Wiggles and because of them we called each other mate when the obsession lasted. 

my pet name for dd are sounds. they are not any language sounds. i used buddy more for sarcasm. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page