Just a name I liked 97 36.88%
Other 24 9.13%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS' name (Rex-Goliath) was inspired by the name of a winery that was named after a 47 lb Texas circus rooster.

Honestly, we just liked the name. But we got the idea off of the wine bottle.

love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann79 View Post
DD1 (Fiona Leigh) - Middle name is after me
DS1 (Eric Logan) - First name is "after" Eric the Red, but mostly just because we liked the name. His uncle suggested the name because of Eric the Red though.
DD2 (Colleen Elizabeth) -Middle name is after DH's older sister

And then soon-to-be-born DS2 (William Otis) - First name is from my grandpa (middle name) and DH's grandpa both dead (along with a few different more distant relatives) . Middle name is after DH's middle name, my dad's middle name, my grandpa and DH's great-grandpa. (this is if we stick with this middle name. lol)

I voted "after living relatives", but could have added historical figure and late relative.
My husband and I plan to name our son Malachi William Otis. Malachi is a name we like as well as being biblical. William is a family name for me. Both maternal and paternal grandfathers are named William, as well as my father and maternal uncle. Otis is a family name on my husband's side; his father, grandfather and great grandfather were all named Otis. We may switch to Malachi Otis William. I'm letting my husband decide the order of the middle names, as his dad passed away a number of years ago.

A daughter will be Serenity Faith. We like the name and we like that it's a virtue name. Plus, the Serenity Prayer has special meaning to us.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM

I went with "Just a name I liked," because the majority of them fall into that category.

#1 Stephanie Nicole... the first was inspired by a friend of my mom's when I was a child, someone who meant a lot to me. Not named AFTER, but inspired by. Nicole was my best friend in high school.

#2 Alexander Lee... I just love Alexander. Lee is his father's middle name (and my brother's).

#3 Kimberly Grace... Again, just names I liked.

#4 Thomas Kieran... Same thing. Kieran is ethnically inspired, to honor the Irish part of his heritage. His father picked Thomas because it can be pronounced in English and Spanish both.

#5 Gabriella Diane... DH picked the first, and I love it so I agreed. Diane is after Diane Lane, the actress.

#6 Nathaniel Lucas... Nathaniel after actor Nathan Fillion, Lucas after George Lucas.

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM

My 16 year old DS: My late grandfather (first name) and my ex-h's late grandfather (middle name). DS's english name, we used the first initials (M & H) and chose names we liked for each. DS's Hebrew name is a natch for each of their Hebrew names.

My 14 year old DD: My late grandmother (first name) and my ex-h's late grandmother (middle name). Same concept as my DS for both english and Hebrew names.

My 7 year old DS: we went a different route. First name, we chose one DH and I both really liked. Middle name, same as DH's middle name. Hebrew name, named after DH's grandfather.

Debbi ~~ Proud mom to an amazing 8 year old DS who has Asperger's Syndrome, a beautiful, novel writing 15 yr old DD, and a handsome, artistic 17 yr old DS.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM

My son's first name was just one we liked--though, as it turns out, his name is the name of a mountain in the same national park with a glacier with the same name as my mother's family. Haha, that doesn't seem to make much sense, but I don't want to actually put the names out there on the internet... So in a very round-about way, his name has a family meaning (though not really). We gave him his middle name for several family members--my grandfather and an uncle and a cousin all share this name. His last name is hyphenated (my last name-daddy's last name).

All in all, it's quite a handle. but I love it! I hope he does, too...

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Sorry for going totally OT, but SAHDS, I : LOVE your tag under your screen name.

Debbi ~~ Proud mom to an amazing 8 year old DS who has Asperger's Syndrome, a beautiful, novel writing 15 yr old DD, and a handsome, artistic 17 yr old DS.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM

First name we chose because we liked it, middle name was chosen by my super-nerd German history professor husband because it's the name of a German philosopher who died of syphilis and wrote about the Ubermensch and the first president of the Weimar Republik, and it sounded good with DS's first name.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Our baby is due in 3 months "Dekaylee May Katherine" and her first name is a combination of our two names and just a name we liked, her middle name is a family name on both sides (4 generations with that middle name on my side), and her 2nd middle name is my partners first name!

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM

I picked other.

DS1 we had a hard time coming up with a name for (though we did pick his name before we decided to ttc). We ended up going through tv shows and movies and such and ended up naming him after one of the x-men and a demon from Charmed. Not because we wanted to name him after those characters but because we liked the name.

DS2 just has a name I like.

If we have a DS3 his first name will be after a literary character I like but because I like the name. Not because I adore the character. His middle name will be after someone my dh served in Iraq with on his 3rd deployment.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM

We did Gabriel because it was the first boy's name we agreed on, and it shortens to Gabe, which is really cute. The middle name is Matthew, which is DH's middle name, my grandfather's and great grandfather's.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:39 AM

I chose my childs name after I read what the name meant and then I was hooked
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM

I picked names we liked but DS's first and middle names are biblical, while DD's names together mean "beautiful faerie princess" : (we knew she'd be our princess)
Old 07-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Their middle names are from the family (grandparents) and their first names are names we liked.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 07-18-2009, 03:58 PM

I didn't vote, because I have multiple choice:

DS1 first name is that of a saint, also the NN was a fictional character that I really liked. Middle name is DH's first name.

DS2 first name is that of a saint also and an old friend that I admired, MN is DH's middle name and the name of his favorite uncle.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM

DD's first name was chosen based on DH's heritage (a Sanskrit name) that we both liked based on a number of factors (meaning, pronouce-ability by my parents, pretty sounding). She has two middle names to honor each of her great grandmothers (both deceased) on my side of the family.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM

our second son will be named after Felix Leu who was a very well known tattooer, gypsy, family man... just a really amazing guy. him and his family traveled the world tattooing together, and the family now resides in switzerland. my husband tattoos and we have always looked up to the Leu family... so our second sons name will be felix.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Just names that we really liked.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 PM

DD's first name is my grandma's and her middle name is DH's grandma's. Those were actually the only two names we could agree on even though they're both old fashioned.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All of my kids were just names I liked. DD3's middle name is kindasorta named after dh's grandmother, but we really liked the name and wouldn't have used it if we didn't like it.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 PM

DD 1: First name after a band I really liked, middle name kind of sort of after a friend

DD 2: First name a biblical name middle name is my middle name

DS 1: First name after a book character middle name is a take on my first name.... I guess I really like my name

DS 2: First name is just one we liked but also happens to be biblical, middle name is after a manga character our oldest really liked

DD 3: My husband named her both first and middle after a song he really likes, he had the name picked out since I was pregnant with ds1.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
Old 07-20-2009, 04:45 PM

DS's first name is a name that we liked, he was not after anyone in particular. His middle name is a variation of my father's name. A lot of men in my family share my father's name (as a first or middle name) so we decided to add our own little spin to it. And actually, I kind of liked the middle name just because, it was convenient that it also happened to be a family name.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM

My DD was named after my grandma who died.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM

No one, we just liked the name.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Let's see -

DD - first name is for a late friend, middle is for a living relative

DS - DD picked his first name, she was 2 years old and we liked it so we went with it. His middle name is for a late relative AND a living relative (family name)

DS2 - found his first name in movie credits, looked up the meaning and liked it. Middle name is for a late relative.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM

DD's first name - was a name that both DH and I always liked but didn't really think about it. While I was pregnant this one new favorite show we started watching had a real feisty character in it with the name and it ended up sealing it for us.

DD's middle name - is Chinese and hyphenated (generation name - given name). It is very important to me that to keep her Chinese heritage alive and so I continued my family's naming tradition. Her generation name like my own was decided thousands of years ago and her given name was chosen by my mother. I hope she will continue the naming tradition with her children.

User Tag List