Just a name I liked 97 36.88%
Other 24 9.13%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was just curious to see. You can vote multiple choice, so you can talk about first names, middle names, and multiple children.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

<kicks self>

I thought I picked multiple choice. Sigh.

#3 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM

DS1 was sort of named after his grandpa's. They're both David's but we wanted him to have his own name too so we named him Davin. His middle name is Christopher, which is also dh's middle name.

DS2's first name is just one we liked. So is his middle name, but that's actually a family name as well. He's Oakley Augustus.
#4 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

DD's first name is for a fictional character.
And her middle name is her maternal grandmother's first name (living relative).

#5 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

One is named after a famous musician and both my sons are also named after video game characters.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#6 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM

One child is named after a great-grandparent, both first and middle name.

Other two children have first names that we liked and middle names are of late family members.

No idea what #4 will be named

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#7 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Michael Clinton: family and St. Michael the Archangel
Katie Grace: 2 of my favorite LLL leaders and Grace as a virtue, also St. Katherine Drexel
Nicholas Martin: two saints, plus his middle name is a family name
Daniel James: DH thinks he was named after Daniel in the Bible, but he's actually named after Daniel Radcliffe. Also, two Bible names

ETA: I have no clue on boys' names if this new baby is a boy. If it's a girl, probably Molly Beatrice. Molly because DH vetoed Hermione and Beatrice after DH's grandmother.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
ds1 named for two great grandpas

dd named for both great grandmas

ds2 named for one great uncle and one late friend of the family

My hubby was raised Jewish, they don't name after living relatives, which is fine by me. I have a brother who is a "junior" and "little mike" all his life and he and I abhor that.
#9 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM

DD - name we liked and a friend
DS - living family member and a friend

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#10 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM

1st names were names we liked. Middle names were family names (well, DD's is after my childhood best friend).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM

If this babe is a girl - First name is a name I just like and Middle name will be after my late mother.

If this babe is a boy - First name is a name that we just like (and DH hasn't had as a student) and Middle name will be after DH.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#12 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM

We used a name from DH's family and ethnic heritage (first name) plus a biblical name that I liked the meaning of (middle name).

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#13 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:12 PM

My children's first names were chosen because we liked the names.

My two DDs both have middle names that belonged to my late grandparents- my older DD's middle name is Georgine, after my paternal grandmother, and my younger DD's middle name is Josephine, after my maternal grandfather whose name was Alfred Joseph. My DS's middle name is Thomas. My mom and dad both have brothers named Tom, but DS was NOT named for either uncle- DH just like how Thomas sounded with DS's first name.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#14 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Ds1's middle name is a family name on my dh's side. Ds2 is named for my grandfather (complete with the same nickname).

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#15 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

I voted Historical Figures but they are also basically biblical as well.
#16 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

DD1 (Fiona Leigh) - Middle name is after me
DS1 (Eric Logan) - First name is "after" Eric the Red, but mostly just because we liked the name. His uncle suggested the name because of Eric the Red though.
DD2 (Colleen Elizabeth) -Middle name is after DH's older sister

And then soon-to-be-born DS2 (William Otis) - First name is from my grandpa (middle name) and DH's grandpa both dead (along with a few different more distant relatives) . Middle name is after DH's middle name, my dad's middle name, my grandpa and DH's great-grandpa. (this is if we stick with this middle name. lol)

I voted "after living relatives", but could have added historical figure and late relative.

Leigh

#17 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM

I voted Other: DS' named after the island we met on in the bahamas - Andros His middle name is edward cause' all the guys in DH's family are __ edward ___.... DS2 will be Keegan cause' we like it, not sure about the middle (but definetly NOT edward this time!!), but problably either my last name or my dads' name. We'll see.
#18 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Lillian Faith: Well, she was premature, we hadn't really picked a name yet, and in the haze of drugs this was the first name I could think of.

Lucy Claire: My dh spent the majority of my pregnancy watching "I Love Lucy" and one day he decided we were going to name her Lucy, so we did. I have always liked Claire and if I had been thinking straight, it would have been Lilly's first name.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#19 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM

My kids are all more or less named for family.

DD1 is named for deceased family. Her first name is DH's great-grandma, who passed away just before DD was born. Her middle name is my great-aunt's; I was very close to my great-aunt.

The twins' first names were chosen just because I liked the names. Their middle names are DH's grandparents' names.

The twins' first names ARE actually Biblical, but I didn't pick them for that reason. We're not Christian or Jewish.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#20 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Sort of a literary character (more like lots of characters have this name and it's highly symbolic), sort of a meaning I liked, and her middle name is for both grandmothers (we got lucky there that they have the same middle names!).
#21 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM

My baby isn't here yet but the girl name we have picked out is from Lord of the Rings (I just overheard it once and asked Chris what he thought of it and she's his favourite character. I do NOT like LotR but I like the name). The girl middle name has no significance but there is a room at the birth center I'm going to called "The (name) Room" so if I give birth in that room it'll be a nice coincidence.

The boy name we picked out is a book in the Bible (and also a song), and the middle name is also Biblical but not the name of any book in the Bible.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#22 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM

1st name = late relatives on both sides
2nd name = late and living relatives on both sides
3rd name = late and living relatives on Mother's side
last name = DH's last name

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#23 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I named my kids after late relatives. It's not our tradition to name after living relatives.

DD1 is named after her two great-grandmothers on her father's side (FIL's mother for the first name and MIL's mother for the middle name, which is the name we actually call her.)

DD2 is named after my father's mother (first name) and my mother's mother (middle name.)

DS is named after his paternal grandfather (the exact same first, middle, and last names.) (which I now regret, as I didn't name after my own grandfathers and we now have zero contact with DS' bio dad or his family.)

Ds happen to have biblical names, as they're named after relatives who had biblical names. DS doesn't have a Biblical name- I would have used the Biblical name that corresponds with his Hebrew name (and is very similar to his actual name) except that my cousin has that name, and it would have been too confusing.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#24 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM

DD:
First name: a country music song
First middle name: a fictional character in a book
Second middle name: an aunt who died in infancy

DS:
First name: a character in a movie
First middle name: a country music star
Second middle name: dh's grandfather who passed away many years ago

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#25 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Daughter's 1st name is after a friend, middle name is after my living sister
Son #1's middle name is after his (at the time) living grandfather
Son #2's middle name is after his living father
Son #3's names are just ones we liked
Son #4's middle name is not so much after, but inspired by Nicolas Cage

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#26 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Living relative, DD's aunt who is also named after her aunt, also living

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#27 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

Lincoln Arthur - Lincoln for the president since my BF is a huge fan of his, and Arthur for my late grandpy who is my only grandparent who won't meet Lincoln.

It makes my BF oh so happy that his initials are LA too b/c he's a huge Lakers fan It wasn't done on purpose though I swear!
#28 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 PM

DS is named Brodie after Jason Lee's character from Mallrats. :

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#29 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM

My son is named after his 2 grandfathers. My dad's name is his 1st name, and his middle name is my fil's name. My fil and my husband have the same name, just spelled differently by 1 letter.

caffix.gif

#30 of 115 Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Okay, so technically DH and I don't have any children, so I voted living relative based on my brothers and my names. Though technically, the right answer would have been both living and deceased relatives and Biblical names. I don't feel too bad answering as my mom and not as my self, and it's a family tradition to use family names that DH and I are planning on continuing. And, the boys name we have picked out is a family name, and the girls middle is as well. We're still arguing over a girls name, but since I'm not yet pregnant....not that important yet.

My name: I was named for my great-grandmothers. Three of the four shared a middle name, which is my first. And my middle name is a shortened version of one's first name. My mom thought the original was a little too Gone With the Wind. So two dead people, one living, and a fourth whose name was Thelma Missouri, and just deemed unusuable as a name in 1985.
DB1: He's the Third, so name after my Dad and Granddad, so two living people.
DB2:His first name came from my Mom's step-father, and his middle name was my Dad's favorite uncle's name.

All of our first names are Biblical names of Hebrew origin. Though according to my Mom that was done more because since we have a Jewish last name that Biblical names just sounded better with, than any sort of decision to give us all Biblical names. The only person who's ever commented on this aspect of my name was a Rabbi who helpfully told me that despite being Baptist, I was Jewish enough to have died in the Holocaust.

Married to my Airman since 12-23-06. Cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding AP mama to DD born 2/24/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page