Teacher took photos of dc without our knowledge/consent. WWYD? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dc (4) told me this evening that the teacher was taking photographs of every child and of group activities (summercamp).

Is this normal and acceptable? I am a bit concerned and confused. Why didn't she (the teacher) asked us first, we have been chatting and photos have not been mentioned before. On other occassions, accordind to dc, no photos have been taken.

Probably they will use some pictures for advertising etc but I do feel so uncomfortable about this.

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Summer

Update on#109
Pictures and short film clip were taken, but not for general advertising, they will use it more broadly to represent their small school, no names will be published.
I have not signed a waiver when we enrolled dc last year, the new enrollment papers seem all to cover this waiver.

Thank you for your answers, it helped me a lot to get calmer about this situation. However, I will consider if we continue in the fall term.

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#2 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:22 AM

IME pictures are normal in the classroom. It's likely that somewhere you already signed a waiver in fact.

-Angela
#3 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,
I did not give consent on the enrollment form. It was not even asked. It's an arts school and their summercamp, so not a public school.
But maybe I am just overreacting, thanks for your input. It did not occur to me that they would do this without asking parents first and feels strange because I would not never do this. Somehow I just wanted to give dc control over his internet/photos so he can later decide what photos he wants to share with the world...

Many thanks,
Summer

#4 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 AM

hhhmmm...are you sure that in the paperwork there wasn't a blurb about taking pictures for promotional or edicational purposes? it's pretty common to slip it in. If you are really concerned, definitely mention it to the teacher. I'm sure she would be willing to make sure no photos of your child will be used publicly if that is your request.
here, they took pics of all the kids and have them in the class with names and birthday, etc, for the kids to learn from.

CPST
#5 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:37 AM

Yeah...I will bet you there is a disclosure on the forms...it is pretty standard practice. Its possible it is only a few words...

Definitely mention it if it bothers you...Its possible the teacher is making something for your son or you to keep to document his time in camp.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#6 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, absolutely sure that I did not sign any photo consent form. I always opt out but in this particular school it was not even mentioned.
Normally during term time I attend with him the regular arts classes and they never took any photos.
I will speak to the teacher tomorrow. I was not sure if this is common in the US (we are expats).

#7 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:45 AM

It wouldn't bother me at all. It is a big jump to assume those photos would be on the internet or in advertising even. I'd think they'd check with you before using them in advertising. If they were taking pix of every kid, I'd assume they might be doing a project that is a frame maybe? And will put the kid pix in the frame before sending it home at the end of camp session?
#8 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
It wouldn't bother me at all. It is a big jump to assume those photos would be on the internet or in advertising even. I'd think they'd check with you before using them in advertising. If they were taking pix of every kid, I'd assume they might be doing a project that is a frame maybe? And will put the kid pix in the frame before sending it home at the end of camp session?
This is what I immediately thought of when you said that the teacher was taking pictures of all of the students. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
#9 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 AM

sounds pretty normal i know in my classroom we take photos all the time but ask the parents before using them in a newsletter or on the website usually the pictures are just for the school and to email to the parents

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#10 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

I have thought about a project first too but then these are only 1 day camps, many kids don't come to the term courses either and are there just for a day.
This topic seems to bother me more than I realised ...

#11 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 AM

It seems to be pretty common. Camp counselors have always taken lots of pictures when my kids were in camps.

My older son went on a ranger led hike through the Park and Rec, and a group picture he was in ended up in their next month's brochure!
#12 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 03:43 AM

seems perfectly harmless & normal to me. i really don't see what the big deal is. what are you afraid of?

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#13 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Very normal. IF the pictures are only being used with the kids or in the classroom, there often isn't a consent form. IF they were planning to use them on a website or a news letter or for promotional activities, they'd need your permission.
#14 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds normal to me. I agree that I think the consent forum is only needed if they're using it for advertising or something like that. If they just use it within the classroom or for their own scrapbook, they don't need one. But that should mean it won't be on the internet or anything. You can check to make sure.
#15 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM

I vote normal too. In Dylan's preschool and Ava's daycare I did not even have to sign a waiver. For public school and Dyl's 4H summer camp thing I did.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Normal I work in a daycare and I take pics of the kids quite often. In the infant room I work in we have a huge wall full of pictures of the kids (both individual pictures and group pictures). We add to it every few weeks. We use the pictures for projects we do with the kids that they can take home. When the child turns 1 and moves to the 1 year old room we take down all their individual pictures and give them to mom/dad to take home. They usually LOVE it. Group pictures we keep.

We never use them on the website or anything. If we did that, we'd ask permission.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#17 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM

I say its pretty normal, too.

BUT... Many people are considerate about it and ask permission/give a heads up. I believe this is purely courtesy and not required,tho.
#18 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Normal. My oldest ds was in kindercamp last year. They took a ton of pics and she had made each of the parents a scrapbook of the week. It was very nice. I don't think it is a big deal.
#19 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
EVC

I'd say normal. You might want to inquire what the pictures are for, though. At my dd's pre-school they do this all the time, but it is NEVER for public distribution. Rather, at the end of the school year, they create a lovely "memory" book for the parents with all of the pictures (and captions) about the fun things your child did. It is something I look forward to every year so I am quite happy to have them snap away Any chance there is something similar in the works? Just ask the teacher.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#20 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM

It sounds perfectly normal to me. My mom and MIL are both teachers. Both take photos of their kids every year, and use the photos for various projects in the classroom. If you are concerned about where they are being used, just ask the teacher.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#21 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 AM

This is probably different, but as an elementary school teacher, I take pictures of my kids. We use them sometimes at the end of the year for a slide show, or the yearbook. Also, I take pictures of each child and display their picture with their work sometimes. It's just good to have photos of the kids. It's nice to record special activities and just everyday stuff to look back on or to just "publish" on a bulletin board in the hallway for all at school to see. I have photos from years past in my computer that I'm glad I have. I can look back at my students and remember them.

We are not allowed to publish them for public viewing w/o the consent of the parents. For example, in order for a child's picture to go up on our website, we need parental consent.
#22 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Una

Quote:
Originally Posted by summermay View Post
Dc (4) told me this evening that the teacher was taking photographs of every child and of group activities (summercamp).

Is this normal and acceptable? I am a bit concerned and confused. Why didn't she (the teacher) asked us first, we have been chatting and photos have not been mentioned before. On other occassions, accordind to dc, no photos have been taken.

Probably they will use some pictures for advertising etc but I do feel so uncomfortable about this.

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Summer
I don't think they can use photographs of your children for advertising without your consent. I would review all of the paperwork you signed when you enrolled your child(ren) and then speak to the teacher.

I think that the teacher is probably taking pictures for memory books or a similar project. I would ask the teacher to see the photos.
#23 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM

I think in this day and age, it's normal, not a problem. [ETA: not to use the photos for advertising without your consent, but just the taking the photos.] In this day and age you I think you have to expect that you or your kids could be photographed or filmed almost any time you are out in public (whether or not it's legal). That's just the way it is. If I trusted a camp or teacher with my kids, I would definitely trust them to take pictures and not misuse them.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#24 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Its normal at our school. And preschool.

The kids usually get something at the end of the year with photos. We've gotten albums, year books, slideshows at kindergarten graduation.
#25 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Normal.
#26 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM

This is very common in a variety of schools and camps. They don't need permission to take photos for internal use at all. For external use they may or may not need your permission, depending on where you are and what they are doing with them. However, as with anything at school/camp, if you are uncomfortable you certainly should ask that your child's photo not be used for anything beyond classroom projects.
#27 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I agree that it's normal, but I also always opt out of my kids' photos being used for advertising purposes, so I know how you feel. I would just ask what the pictures were going to be used for -- if it's an in-class project, then no big deal, but if it'll be displayed anywhere online or in marketing materials, you can tell them not to use any pictures of your kid.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#28 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Our daycare takes tons of pictures of the kids and their activities. I've never known them to use them for advertising purposes--they're displayed in the classrooms and public areas, "decorating" the school, and then if it's a shot of just one child, when they're taken down they're given to the parents.

One of the head teachers is a great photographer, and she'll literally have photos of yesterday's event up and printed today. Or in fact, by the end of the day she had photos put up of this exercise event they had during the day. It's great. Everybody loves looking for themselves in the pictures.

Writer, breast cancer survivor, wife to Evan, Mommy to Annika (infant open adoption 2/3/06), Adrian (homegrown 3/11/08), and #3 due 6/17/10!
#29 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

As a teacher, I took pictures in the classroom all the time.

My son's preschool, and some of his classes/activities/camps all take pictures.

I think it it totally normal. The pics are often displayed in the class. My son's preschool teachers used to make a "memory book" each year for each of the children with pictures of all the activities they had done through out the year.
#30 of 130 Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dziwozony View Post
seems perfectly harmless & normal to me. i really don't see what the big deal is. what are you afraid of?
I second this question. What are you afraid of? This seems to really be setting off some issue for you.

If you don't want photos used for advertising, then contact the camp and request that. But it doesn't have to be a big deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page