Study: Unusual baby names make boys bad - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Parenting > Study: Unusual baby names make boys bad
Gabes Mommy's Avatar Gabes Mommy 07:42 PM 07-17-2009
I read an article on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31960846...ng_and_family/) That said that unusual names make boys bitter, angry and bad. Basically it said that they would be made fun of for their name, which would cause anger, and would make them lash out.

As a mother to a Gabriel, I think (and hope!) it's ridiculous. What do you mamas think?

vbactivist's Avatar vbactivist 07:46 PM 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabes Mommy View Post
I read an article on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31960846...ng_and_family/) That said that unusual names make boys bitter, angry and bad. Basically it said that they would be made fun of for their name, which would cause anger, and would make them lash out.

As a mother to a Gabriel, I think (and hope!) it's ridiculous. What do you mamas think?

I think there may be some truth to the articles findings. However, I don't think of Gabriel as an unusual name. I know lot's of Gabe's and always have. It's a very old name.
Gabes Mommy's Avatar Gabes Mommy 07:48 PM 07-17-2009
It is a biblical name, I just haven't known many Gabriels. Thanks mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I think there may be some truth to the articles findings. However, I don't think of Gabriel as an unusual name. I know lot's of Gabe's and always have. It's a very old name.

moaningminny's Avatar moaningminny 07:56 PM 07-17-2009
I don't understand why all of the names in the "Top Ten" were in there. I don't see most of them as "bad" or "unusual" at all - and this is coming from someone who is really not into unusual names.

I don't think you have to worry. Gabriel's not unusual at all.
4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 08:07 PM 07-17-2009
I know two children named Gabriel, 16 yo and 5 yo. Don't know any with my ds's more common name.
LavenderMae's Avatar LavenderMae 08:12 PM 07-17-2009
My boys have uncommon names and I'm not worried. The names they listed aren't even uncommon though at least I didn't think so.

I think the point should be to address bullying not cowering to our culture and not giving your son an unusual name. My reaction to the article is what can we do to prevent bullying and embrace tolerance.
Mountaingirl79's Avatar Mountaingirl79 08:20 PM 07-17-2009
Heh. : I love sociology but this just seems skewed. And I have a hard time believing "Luke", for example ( one of the names mentioned in the article) is an unusual name that will cause teasing and bitterness later in life.
MusicianDad's Avatar MusicianDad 08:22 PM 07-17-2009
I think that most of it is hogwash. For one thing, DD has boys in her class with 6 of the "bad names" and none of them get teased for it. In fact they are all apperently rather popular.

I agree with Lavender though, in any instance that discusses what causes kids to get bullied. The point is that we should address the bullying, not blame the victim for having a odd name or non-name brand clothes, or different activities.
crl's Avatar crl 08:24 PM 07-17-2009
Yeah, the inclusion of Luke as an unusual name just makes the whole thing lack credibility.

Catherine
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 08:29 PM 07-17-2009
I found the inclusion of what's basically a "Top 10 Most Common Bad Boy Names" as a proof that uncommon names result in bullying, lack of social success, etc. kind of bizarre, in and of itself.
sunnmama's Avatar sunnmama 08:54 PM 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
Yeah, the inclusion of Luke as an unusual name just makes the whole thing lack credibility.

Catherine
Seriously!

Articles about naming children unusual names always strike me as boringly ethnocentric. Is there no diversity in these classrooms? No one notices my dd's unusual name, because her classroom is filled with names from many cultures.
chaoticzenmom's Avatar chaoticzenmom 09:14 PM 07-17-2009
And how does this apply to homeschooling kids who don't get teased?
alexsam's Avatar alexsam 09:15 PM 07-17-2009
"Gabriel" is in the top 35 boys names. It is very classic. I have a Gabriel too .

I mean, I can see it somewhat. People tend to shy away from names where the first image is a very bad one (in the US, most people think of Ivan the Terrible with the first name "Ivan"- unless there is some other experience that overrides that... "Adolph" is not so popular either...).
LynnS6's Avatar LynnS6 09:21 PM 07-17-2009
Once again correlation does not equal causation. Just because, statistically speaking, kids with more unusual names commit more crimes doesn't mean the name caused the crime.

Their supposed explanation strikes me as being a real stretch. I suspect there's a lot more to the background and maybe some factor in the kids' backgrounds that leads them to have a more 'unusual' name from a European American perspective (hard to see how Luke fits there, though) that's the root cause. For example, a quote from the article: "whole, the less schooling they have, the more likely parents are to give their kids unpopular names."

Let's not forget too that kids of certain ethnicities and social classes are more likely to be charged with a crime than kids with "fine, upstanding" (read: white, upper middle class) parents.

As Lavender said, the issue is bullying, and names themselves are only a pretext. Plenty of kids with 'normal' names get bullied.
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 11:25 PM 07-17-2009
and normal names is so relative.
what can make kids tease another kid is sometimes not even their name being weird but rhyming with something, the same as a character in a book the teacher is reading.
Sierra's Avatar Sierra 01:22 AM 07-18-2009
I am too tired to read the article right now, but sounds to me like coorelation could have been mistaken for causation, and a hypothesis might have been presented as a finding.
borbonmamma's Avatar borbonmamma 01:28 AM 07-18-2009
Gabriel is pretty common, especially in spanish speaking countries.
The whole article is bull, seriously, it's just that a name. They just don't know what else to look for
Swan3's Avatar Swan3 01:42 AM 07-18-2009
Just plain silly to me, especially given that North America is becoming more and more multicultural....
jennydecki's Avatar jennydecki 01:51 AM 07-18-2009
Why did they even bother citing studies on this?

They could have just copied and pasted the lyrics of "Boy Named Sue" and been done with the article...and it would hold just as much water.

I'm looking forward to the follow up article, "Top Ten Clothing Brands that see Boys Landing In Jail." Because you get made fun of for clothes too, right?

*sigh*
aprons_and_acorns's Avatar aprons_and_acorns 01:59 AM 07-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydecki View Post
Why did they even bother citing studies on this?

They could have just copied and pasted the lyrics of "Boy Named Sue" and been done with the article...and it would hold just as much water.

If that article is true, my son is in trouble.
nextcommercial's Avatar nextcommercial 02:14 AM 07-18-2009
I've seen some pretty bizzare names. And, in all honesty.. those parents tended towards a bit of a crime spree themselves. It's hard to raise law abiding citizens, when mom and dad are openly breaking laws themselves.

So, I can see how that article makes some sense. But, to me the name Gabriel makes me think of a really great, nice mature person.

I went to school with a girl named Bambi... and YES... she grew up to be a stripper. LOL.. but, her mom was a stripper.

I also grew up with a girl named Rebel. Her mom was a rebellious person. Rebel had a really messed up childhood. The police knew rebel's Mom by name. It's a wonder she made it to adulthood. But, as an adult, she reinvented herself and became the mom she wished she'd had. (the kind that goes to your parent/teacher conferences)

I think it's more about the people who named you than about the name it'self.. but, maybe the name gives off a bad vibe??? Like "Damon". It's a beautiful sounding name, but it sounds a little like Demon.. so people might automatically envision that child being a bit of a terror.

*btw.. I actually LIKE the name Damon.. I was just using as an example*
nextcommercial's Avatar nextcommercial 02:18 AM 07-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningminny View Post
I don't understand why all of the names in the "Top Ten" were in there. I don't see most of them as "bad" or "unusual" at all - and this is coming from someone who is really not into unusual names.

I don't think you have to worry. Gabriel's not unusual at all.
I love the name Luke. Luke and Gabriel give me a good feeling.

A few of the others.... I'd be mad too if my parents named me those names.
Krystal323's Avatar Krystal323 02:28 AM 07-18-2009
heh, i don't think any particular names can be called out as "bad" universally, but perhaps some names are viewed as "weirder" in certain areas than others...

mazajo's Avatar mazajo 02:31 AM 07-18-2009
I haven't read this whole thread yet, just the first post. I just have to say...

My 17yo DS is named Malachi. It was practically unheard of when I was pregnant with him, other than the movie Children of the Corn. But he is a GREAT kid! Smart, responsible, well-mannered.

Actually it's my 13yo Josh that gives me the most problems.
Madders's Avatar Madders 02:31 AM 07-18-2009
I love the name Gabriel, it is very common and classic.
amma_mama's Avatar amma_mama 03:27 AM 07-18-2009
How lame. None of the names are particularly unusual. I would think that most of them are pretty common enough (Gabriel and Luke, unusual? ). Another case of somebody with too much research money and not enough brains. As others have mentioned, bullying can happen for almost any reason and no kid is totally immune. Sometimes you never know what others will pick on. It is more important to teach your child self-confidence and how to address bullying, then to worry about whether an "unusual" name is going to do them in.
EdnaMarie's Avatar EdnaMarie 03:35 AM 07-18-2009
Well, I agree that Gabriel is a classic, familiar (if not common... though it's in the top 20 I think) name. We have two Gabriels in our family on my side and DH's side has one (in Arabic, Jibreel).

That said,
Quote:
And how does this apply to homeschooling kids who don't get teased?
They get teased, if they go out. Oh, they can, anyway.

I also agree with the points that-
-those are all common names;
-many of them are common among BLACK people, but not white people, so what the associate really says for some of those names is, if you're black, you're likely to be persecuted and blamed for a crime, to which I say, another scientific triumph for sociology! No s*i*, sherlock.
-Ivan means John in Russian. JOHN. Juan, Ivan, Jon, Johann, Giovanni- all Johns. Ivan's actually extremely common among Slavic speaking peoples, even in this country.
-Karim / Kareem is a Muslim name, a beautiful Muslim name, and not at all unusual among black and other Muslims in this country.

So again, what they're saying is, if you're black, you're more likely to be royally screwed (DUH) and while I support public funding for the sciences, I hope we didn't pay a penny for this.

Did anyone see the National Spelling Bee?

http://public.spellingbee.com/public...finishers/html

HUMPH, is all I have to say to this article.
Snuzzmom's Avatar Snuzzmom 01:16 PM 07-18-2009
I have an Ivan. We live near a pretty large Russian community, and "Ivan" is about as common a name as you can have.

If my child turns into a holy terror, I seriously doubt it'll be because we ruined him by naming him Ivan.
eclipse's Avatar eclipse 01:21 PM 07-18-2009
I don't think any of the names on the list are unusual. I think the article is silly.
jennydecki's Avatar jennydecki 01:23 PM 07-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
I went to school with a girl named Bambi... and YES... she grew up to be a stripper. LOL.. but, her mom was a stripper.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with being a stripper. I'm not and never have been but have been friends with a few and the money and hours are pretty darn good.

I'd have no problem with any of my girls being strippers to get through college, or as long as they had a savings account and didn't throw it all away on puffy stickers, orange soda and blow.
1 2 

Up