Would you let your son wear a dress/skirt? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 183 Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, because breaking free of gender stereotypes is a brave and liberating act.  More than just being harmless, I see it as a positive thing if it is the boy's own idea.

#182 of 183 Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
FTR, I would never say "you can't wear that" about this kind of issue. I just wouldn't provide a dress for my young son.
Would you even refuse to provide a dress for your young son if he 1) expressed a strong desire to wear one and 2) exhibited emotional distress because he isn't allowed one?

Some people start young in their desire to express who they truely are.

:( I regret the mistakes I made with one of my lot... She... (now) has ASD, Anxiety, other disabilities including somg undiagnosed... has the mental age of a 7 - 12 year old. and I ignored, did not encourage or allow her to be herself. 

Now after being in an independent living program seeing counsellors etc... I see how much happier she is being herself. I wish I didn't ignore and allowed her to be herself early so that I could know her. :( I love her to pieces but I just don't know her now like I wish I did. I realize now that the reason I didn't allow her to be herself was my fear of being judged... my single biggest regret in my parenting life.

#183 of 183 Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspineau View Post

I personally would have a problem with it. I am one of those people who believe that dresses and pink is for girls.

You may wish to read this.... http://mattyangel.com/2009/10/04/childrens-color-identification/ pink for girls is a modern invention

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page