LeapFrog Leapster? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a Leapster? What do you think of it? Are there similar products that are better? I'm thinking about getting it for my son's 3rd birthday. Thanks!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#2 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 02:13 AM

We got one for our daughter when she was about 5 and we had to return it, it freaked her out, she didn't like that it talked, lol!
#3 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 AM

We have a Leapster Lmax and my DS1 loves it! It is great to take along on car trips or other times that he needs to be occupied with a minimum of fuss.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#4 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM

We have a leapster 2. My boys (6, 4, 2 1/2) all love it. My oldest two like the actual games that you buy for it, my youngest likes the built in stuff. It keeps them all busy and quiet and the games are actually fairly educational, at least the math ones.
#5 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Nathan got one for his 3rd Christmas ( just after his bday) he loves it and its still going and he is 5 1/2 they have come out with some neat newer games ( sonic batman and starwars). I highly recommend it. Get some kind of a case to keep the game cartriges in they seem to get lost easily here

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#6 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM

Dylan (6) got one for her birthday this year. She likes it. Ava (almost 3) plays with it but she can't really get the games yet, mostly she just pushes buttons and makes things move or speak.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM

We got one for our ds around the time he turned 4. We bought it for an international flight, and he's been using it since then. He had a lot of fun with it on the flight, and he was into it for a few weeks, but then he's lost interest somewhat (which is fine with me). Maybe we need to get some new games. It's a nice product. Three years old might be a little young. Most of the games seem to be for the pre-k crowd and depend on recongnition of letters and numbers.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#8 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM

We have one and both my children enjoy it. I think it is a worthwhile toy but we do regulate how much it can be played with in with the rest of their screen time.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#9 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Mine also like them. They got them when they turned 4 and are not starting to get much more into the games, etc.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#10 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 4yo DS likes his. It's great for plane rides, etc. He hardly ever uses it when we're home though.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#11 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM

One of the best things we ever bought our DDs - we got it for them when they were 2 and 4 for plane rides, car trips. The games with the stylus are amazing - writing, letters, math, etc.

My just-under-3 yr old learned to READ using the LMAX. What better product advertisement than that??
#12 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

DS knows his letters and numbers, and he's been playing online computer games like on nickjr.com for awhile, do you think he'd like Leapster?

#13 of 23 Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 PM

My three year old loves his leapster. We purchased it for him shortly before his third birthday. He loves to play computer games online, DH also has a Leapfrog Clickstart that is a favorite.

+ + =
#14 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
DS knows his letters and numbers, and he's been playing online computer games like on nickjr.com for awhile, do you think he'd like Leapster?
The Leapster is different - there is a stylus for many of the games to teach basic penmanship/using a writing implement. Great fine motor control practice.

I also find the games ingenious in how they teach, whereas Nick jr. tends to be a little more fluff.
#15 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM

My kids all love theirs. Colleen (3.5) got one for her third birthday because she was doing so good with big brother's and sister's. She loves the Creature Create and the drawing/coloring stuff (both Mr. Pencil's Learn to Draw and the built in stuff)

Leigh

#16 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, it sounds like ds would like it. Can anyone recommend a game to get with it that a 3 year old (who knows his letters and numbers and can draw a couple letters) would like?

#17 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
The Leapster is different - there is a stylus for many of the games to teach basic penmanship/using a writing implement. Great fine motor control practice.
Which game includes letter formation? My DS would probably like that one, but I haven't seen one like that on the shelves at Target.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 03:04 PM

DD has the Leapster L-max and loves it. A good letter one is Letters On The Loose. They all tend to throw letters and numbers in the games though.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#19 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Both mine loved their Leapsters and I agree, it helped my son learn his letters and sounds. The Mr Pencil game was a longtime favorite, and in my opinion, the Leapster games are the best while the character games aren't as good. I think we had Letters on the Loose too and a few others, Counting on Zero I think? My son liked Counting on Zero. The Mr Pencil game mine started playing around age 3 I think. The loved their leapsters until about 6 I guess and honestly, ours are worn out LOL. Mine got to use theirs in the car and on flights or in any situation where we were waiting for a longtime. (like getting the oil change or buying a new car LOL.)

Mine now have Diji's and love those too. They are all characters though (like Star Wars) but they are educational and mine are learning addition and substraction from Star Wars and reading,etc from their Nancy Drew game.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#20 of 23 Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 PM

We got DD1 a Leapster for her 4th birthday and she loves it. The PetPals game has a game where they have to draw letters and she really likes that part.

CPST & mom

#21 of 23 Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 AM

I find that the stores don't carry the 'original' Leapster games, mostly the character ones - I found the alphabet and writing ones on Amazon - best to do a search. Some good reviews as well.

The Letter Factory one has 2 parts - a mini 'movie' where letters become animated to teach them association (eg. letter R turns into a racecar and makes the sounds 'rrrrrrrrr' as it takes off - brilliant!), then games.
#22 of 23 Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 AM

We have 2 Leapsters we bought for the girls, but my 3yo son enjoys it now too. He likes the "coloring" game that just comes on the Leapster from the store and he LOVES Animal Genius.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#23 of 23 Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM

We got a leapster for ds when he was 4, he was never interested in it. When dd turned 4 we introduced it to her and she loved it. She got a vSmile Cyberpocket last Christmas and she goes back and forth between the two of them. I think overall she uses the Cyberpocket more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page