Is this too tacky? 1st Birthday/wish list - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 128 Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For first birthdays we tend to do really small family celebrations. DS recieved one gift- from everyone collectively... his grandfather made him a set of blocks, and everyone in the family took a pile home to help sand and finish them- when we celebrated his birthday, all the blocks came to the celebration finished as each family member thought they should be- some stenciled, some stained, some oiled (all non-toxic, of course... ) it was a fun project...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 128 Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
It's interesting how differently people see things. If I was directed to a webpage like the one in the OP, I wouldn't see it as a "shopping list" at all. She provided multiple merchants, and didn't specify what kind of gift. I'd see it as a wonderful opportunity to brainstorm what kind of toys the birthday girl liked...and I probably wouldn't end up ordering from any of the specified merchants.
This is what I was getting at with the list. More of a brainstorming idea. I realize it may offend some people, and that's certainly not what I'm trying to do, but I'm pretty certain the people who would look at our site, and visit it regularly since that's where all our photos go, wouldn't mind it so much. In fact, before we sent out the invites and just talked about the party, everyone asked what to get and where to get it. Most of our family lives far away and I'm the only one who sews, so buying something online and just having it shipped to us is much easier for everyone. At least for us. Actually, we initially told people that all we wanted were birthday cards to put in her book, but no one liked that idea. Apparently it wasn't enough. I appreciate it though.

I must say, I love the idea of that charity card! How awesome! I think that's fabulous! We'll definitely have to use that next time. Thanks for the idea

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#123 of 128 Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 PM

I have friends who do this whenever they have a party for themselves or their child and I personally don't like it- I like to feel free to choose a gift that is a bit more personal. I think gifts should be enjoyable for the giver as well as the receiver. People will ask for ideas if they need them.
#124 of 128 Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post

Actually, I'll add another point too. A gift that the parents didn't already think of might have the added value of being unique and something that, well, the paren't wouldn't have thought of. Someone using their own creativity and thoughtfulness might actually give something your child might like or use. Even if it wasn't on your shopping list.
Yes! Absolutely!

We've gotten our share of crappy gifts but some wonderful ones as well. Recently a relative sent an old-fashioned-y metal top to my son. The kind with a rod in the middle that you push to get spinning. It's bright and a bit gaudy looking and even has *gasp* a plastic handle. And guess what - it's an absolutely wonderful toy! My son adores it and we all love playing with it and seeing how long we can make it spin.

I never would have thought of it and I haven't seen anything like it in the stores and catalogs I frequent. That's part of the great thing about gift giving.
#125 of 128 Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post
Yes! Absolutely!

We've gotten our share of crappy gifts but some wonderful ones as well. Recently a relative sent an old-fashioned-y metal top to my son. The kind with a rod in the middle that you push to get spinning. It's bright and a bit gaudy looking and even has *gasp* a plastic handle. And guess what - it's an absolutely wonderful toy! My son adores it and we all love playing with it and seeing how long we can make it spin.

I never would have thought of it and I haven't seen anything like it in the stores and catalogs I frequent. That's part of the great thing about gift giving.
Yes. Gift GIVING. Not gift GETTING.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#126 of 128 Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Wow, that's so cool. Thanks for the info!
It was a lucky find, you can search for local charities too.
#127 of 128 Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
For first birthdays we tend to do really small family celebrations. DS recieved one gift- from everyone collectively... his grandfather made him a set of blocks, and everyone in the family took a pile home to help sand and finish them- when we celebrated his birthday, all the blocks came to the celebration finished as each family member thought they should be- some stenciled, some stained, some oiled (all non-toxic, of course... ) it was a fun project...
That is a supremely awesome gift!
#128 of 128 Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
that's so cool it makes me want to have another baby just so I can use your idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page