Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I'd drop this here...

http://www.naturalnews.com/025696_in...ry_cancer.html
#62 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love the cookie idea, though brownies are really my thing! Kindness and Love really can change this crazy world we in. I would continue to talk openly with him...listen to him and hopefully he'll really listen to you and where you are coming from.

Nikki, married to Ryan my and blessed with totally amazing and unpredictable DD1 7-25-00 and DD2 1-12-08.
#63 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I guess not. But the generalization that pot smokers are bad people is... Hurtfull...
I agree. I haven't smoked in a long, long time, but I've known a lot of really nice people who smoked/smoke pot. Sure, I've known some nasty people who smoked it, too...but they haven't been in any greater proportion than nasty people in the non-pot smoking community, ime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
True, but pot does tend to reduce the chances that someone will act agressively too. There's a reason we are so nice to each other in BC.
I got into fights in school from about 6th grade to 9th grade. I started smoking pot at the end of 9th grade, and didn't get into any more fights. I just didn't feel so aggressive, anymore.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#64 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM

I really think this is up to your landlord, but you said you had already spoken with him. What was his response?

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#65 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary View Post
Why should she? Should she do the same were he smoking a pack of Merits?
Because it would solve the problem, that's why. Some people would rather actually solve their problems than be righteous at the cost of continuing to live them. To each their own.
#66 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You shouldn't have to live with the smell of someone else's habit. And you, your children, and your things shouldn't have to carry the smell . Talk to the neighbor one more time and then call the landlord every time. Threaten to break your lease if he (or she, whoever owns the apartments) doesn't enforce the no smoking rules.
#67 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I skimmed the whole thread, and I don't see anyone puzzling, as I am, over how ONE PERSON can smoke so much weed that you can smell it so frequently and so noticeably. Maybe he's smoking in some wasteful way and could tone it down? Maybe he's...hmmm... Maybe his new home business is destroying seized marijuana for the police, by burning it in his fireplace!

Two ways to diminish the smell, if he's willing, that I haven't seen here:
1. Exhale into a wet washcloth. This also catches some of the particulates from the smoke, decreasing the chance that any of them will get over to your side.
2. Set a dish of white vinegar on a table near him. Sort of absorbs the smell somehow.

You could make these suggestions, but it's up to him to cooperate, and I don't think you should have to buy him anything! Be sure to mention the concern that other neighbors might call the cops--you could even pretend that old Mrs. Nebbish on his other side has been asking you about the smell.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#68 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
Sounds like he may be growing in a closet. Does your duplex have a basement? Just wondering.
It would smell totally different if he were growing it.

Mommy to my Lamb, born 9/22/2008 and my Penguin, born 2/21/2011
: HypnoBirthing Mama

#69 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-lamb View Post
It would smell totally different if he were growing it.
Maybe, maybe not. I've been near a grow closet and many a corn field and it smelled just like being in the middle of a Dead show.

I'm thinking that most people might not recognize the difference anyway.

Either way, the smell is bothering the OP.

I think mentioning that another neighbor has complained about it might be a good way to get the stinky neighbor's attention. It's one thing to smell it from a vent, another to think that a person a house over can smell it.

OP, I hope you are able to find a good solution soon.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#70 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
Because it would solve the problem, that's why. Some people would rather actually solve their problems than be righteous at the cost of continuing to live them. To each their own.
So the next time someone does something not only against a lease agreement - but illegal to boot - I'll make sure 'I spend money out of my pocket so that he can continue to do so? That's not really solving the problem. It's more like a band-aid for a gaping wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
You shouldn't have to live with the smell of someone else's habit. And you, your children, and your things shouldn't have to carry the smell . Talk to the neighbor one more time and then call the landlord every time. Threaten to break your lease if he (or she, whoever owns the apartments) doesn't enforce the no smoking rules.
I agree.

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#71 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green betty View Post
Would he consider using a vaporiser instead? Would you be willing to contribute towards the cost if he is?
Are you serious? Those are pretty pricey. You're suggesting OP drop that kind of money on a stranger's intrusive habits? Please do NOT take this out of context, as I am not anti-weed, but society has laws and the laws currently are against the smoking of pot, so you're asking OP to spend money to support her neighbor's illegal activity. (Again, please don't jump on me for that, I am stating it from a completely legal point, I am not advocating the laws, k??? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
Also dead giveaways: chowing down on a big bag of Doritos and drinking a Big Gulp.
This made me !!!! ROFL!!!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#72 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post

I thought this too originally. He needs to pull his head out of his bum if hes growing in a duplex.

OP: does it smell all.day.and.all.night.and.all.afternoon? I would have a more serious chat with him if hes growing. Some, but not all, growers steal electric from their neighbors. Whats your electric bill like?

Hmmm.... We are just about to have an energy audit because we have a ridiculously high utility bill and can't figure out why....Yes, there is a basement, and that is where the smell is concentrated. And there are two different kind of smells- one smokish and one a little "fresher" if you know what I mean.

So, I will definitely be looking further into the electricity matter!!

So thank you everyone for the input, opinions, and advice.

I decided to talk to the landlord. She is pretty laid back and not someone who is going to call the cops so I thought to try again with her, rather than him. She told me she would talk to him. Her solution- " He can smoke that sh*t outside." I feel like that is a reasonable solution, as that is the smoking policy. And if it continues, he moves.

We shall see.....
#73 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KweenKrunch View Post
Isn't smoking marijuana illegal? I'd call the police. Every time. Totally unacceptable to do anything less, IMO.

there are many states where marijuana use is not illegal. and many whole communities where smoking bud is accepted as the norm. in fact, you can sue law enforcement that hassles you for legal marijuana use and win.
#74 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 PM

I had a neighbor who smoked pot, while I was living in a big apartment building and pregnant. The way the air traveled sucked the smoke right out of his apartment, down the hall and into mine.

All I had to do was knock on his door while I knew he was smoking or had recently and therefore was high - I just stood there with my huge pregnant belly in his face, smiled real big and said cheerfully "Hi, are you smoking pot?" He gives me a blank, stoned look and says "Uh, no." I said (still smiling real big and rubbing my belly) "Okay, well when you do, can you put a towel under your door and turn on a fan so the smoke doesn't come into my apartment? Thanks!" Problem solved. I probably would have given it three requests before calling the super, but I didn't need to. I NEVER would have called the police.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#75 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesknees View Post
I decided to talk to the landlord. She is pretty laid back and not someone who is going to call the cops so I thought to try again with her, rather than him. She told me she would talk to him. Her solution- " He can smoke that sh*t outside." I feel like that is a reasonable solution, as that is the smoking policy. And if it continues, he moves.

We shall see.....
Sounds good.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#76 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
there are many states where marijuana use is not illegal. and many whole communities where smoking bud is accepted as the norm. in fact, you can sue law enforcement that hassles you for legal marijuana use and win.
Then I would ask to see the renter's medical marijuana license. If he's legitimate, then work with him to reduce his impact on others who do not wish to breathe in his mind-altering fumes.

If he does not have a legal permit, I don't see how it is ethical to not turn him in for committing a crime. While I am sure some pot-heads are nice people too, if something's illegal, it's illegal. It's really very black & white.

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.
#77 of 175 Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known. ~ John Lennon
#78 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
If he does not have a legal permit, I don't see how it is ethical to not turn him in for committing a crime. While I am sure some pot-heads are nice people too, if something's illegal, it's illegal. It's really very black & white.
Except that it's not. I don't believe it's "justice" to arrest a guy sitting on his couch, hurting no one, in his own house. I think we might live in different worlds here. It's nowhere CLOSE to black and white - nothing in the real world is, and thinking it is is what's wrong with our legal system and this whole "drug war."

Quote:
.......and VASTLY different from pot, as any research will show. Even the DEA acknowledges that.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#79 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Hmmm.... We are just about to have an energy audit because we have a ridiculously high utility bill and can't figure out why....Yes, there is a basement, and that is where the smell is concentrated. And there are two different kind of smells- one smokish and one a little "fresher" if you know what I mean.
I'd bet a new vaporizer that he's growing.

This dude is seriously asking for trouble to be doing this in a duplex, and one with kids at that! Some people just don't think.

I hope that what ever is coming will not negatively effect your family. I conceder myself very pot friendly but I would not want to live in a grow house.

Is the basement in anyway a shared space? Or is there a solid wall dividing the space? Anyone know if the OP could get into any trouble if the neighbor is busted for a grow op?

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#80 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Wow!!!!!!

Yeah, it sounds like he is smoking and growing. If there is a "fresher" smell AND a high utility bill, he's growing. What a knuckle head!!!!

First you need to establish if he holds a licsense and if he does an agreement will need to be worked upon between said smoker/grower and the landlord. Maybe suggest he stick a few fabric sofenter sheets in an empty toilet paper roll for him to blow the smoke through, that's what we did in highschool.

Personally I don't see how it's ethical to turn him in for smoking pot on his couch OR growing. If he gets "caught" HE will get into trouble as long as it is his private space and you are unable to enter the space, kwim? The police can't shake you down for something you aren't involved in.

Yeah, in MOST states it is illegal but, booze is legal and kills thousands daily, waaaaay more dangerous then pot. And comparing pot to crack or heroine is outlandish. Heck, prescription drugs are more dangerous and kill but those are legal so I suppose it's black and white

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#81 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I'm with her on this one.

That said, if you live in an apartment, people smoke. That's pretty normal. Does it suck? Yes. Is there really anything you can do to stop people from smoking (anything) in their apartment? Not really. I'd have more of a problem with my neighbors smoking cigarettes (because they tend to smoke a lot more of them and the smell is awful, in my opinion) and the smell seeping through. Also, cigarettes tend to leave a stink behind that weed doesn't.

And I'm totally lol'ing at the posters who think you should call the police, do not pass go. Really now? I use marijuana (even during pregnancy! *gasp* to keep my blood pressure low and help me sleep. So I'm trying to think what I would do if my neighbors came to me and said they could smell it and could I stop. I would do it outside instead. But realistically, if you asked they won't alter their habits, I would tell the landlord you will break the lease and see them in court if they don't stop it. If it's a smoking apartment, however, I would just deal with it, put up my own fans, and be glad my neighbors weren't chain smoking Marlboros next door. That stuff stinks!

As a side note...

"Then I would ask to see the renter's medical marijuana license. If he's legitimate, then work with him to reduce his impact on others who do not wish to breathe in his mind-altering fumes.

Would it be any different if the person were smoking crack cocaine or heroin? They're all illegal."

Um... wow! Do you always let the government make your ethical decisions or do you ever stop to consider the issues for yourself? It's hardly black and white when it comes to law. It's pretty unfair to compare a marijuana smoker to crack head, don't you think? Clearly you've never smoked marijuana before!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#82 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM

I have to say, I'm astonished to see these "MJ is evil" posts on MDC. Having seen thousands, literally, of people through the ER on a variety of drugs, drunk, chronic users of a variety of drugs/alcohol/tobacco, I can say that the users of plain marijuana have not been any problem to us, nor have they had any particular increased rate of medical problems.

(The exception would be people who smoke "wet" - that stuff screws with the brain bigtime, but it's the PCP/formaldehyde/whatever component, not the MJ.)

I've restrained more combative drunks than I can count, dealt with overdoses of all of the different opiates (heroin, oxycodone, etc), sent people to coronary cath lab for cocaine-induced myocardial infarction, treated hundreds of skin poppers/meth mouths and dealt with people with tobacco-induced lung disease daily, but have never seen any illness or detrimental behavior that could be attributed to MJ use. And I've never used the stuff - not my thing - but it's not evil, and isn't worthy of a police call imho.

To the OP, the electric/fresh combination does make me think he's growing. I hope that you can get him to quit stinking up your house somehow or other. That would bother me.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#83 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM

I don't have a problem w/ mj, but selling/intent to sell is a lot different than some guy smoking on his couch. I wouldn't want to be in the neighborhood when the water and power gets cut off and they break down the door and tear his apt apart. Rightly or wrongly, the US has very harsh penalties for selling drugs and WTH wants to deal w/ that? (No pun intended!)
#84 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Then I would ask to see the renter's medical marijuana license. If he's legitimate, then work with him to reduce his impact on others who do not wish to breathe in his mind-altering fumes.

scary. really? Really?!?!

It's not black & white and it's scary to me that people think like that. And comparing MJ to dangerous, deadly, highly addictive drugs is just nuts.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#85 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

It's not black & white and it's scary to me that people think like that. And comparing MJ to dangerous, deadly, highly addictive drugs is just nuts.
I'm not the poster you quoted so I'm not sure of her intent, but I assume she means it's black in white in that it IS illegal, and the police don't care if it's not as bad/dangerous/unhealthy/addictive as other drugs--they're going to arrest him whether it's crack or mj, that's their job, and it's going to be a very unpleasant experience for him and if he's selling, his landlord. The police aren't going to ignore this guy b/c mj isn't a serious drug.

Or maybe she thinks mj is evil. Who am I to say?
#86 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:

I must say the baking suggestion did give me an idea. I will give him my best brownie recipe and suggest a smokeless mode of ingestion!
That's a good idea.

The problem is, just like with alcohol, some people are addicted to pot. Though most can do it more or less rationally, and in a limited way, not everyone can. So there's a chance that this could just keep going on, "Could you... " "Oh, wow, sorry, yeah..." "Okay, we talked about this, could you..." "I'm SO sorry, totally forgot..." etc.

Growing pot is a fire hazard. I have a burned-down pot "factory" within my sights. I would absolutely report that. It is SO unsafe to do that kind of stuff in a duplex / apartment building. I mean if you really have reason to believe he's growing. It's like leaving ten space heaters on all the time.

This is a tough situation because like many others, I would not want to get someone arrested for something that I think should not be illegal (smoking pot). On the other hand, I do not want my children exposed. I sympathise!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#87 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
I'm not the poster you quoted so I'm not sure of her intent, but I assume she means it's black in white in that it IS illegal, and the police don't care if it's not as bad/dangerous/unhealthy/addictive as other drugs--they're going to arrest him whether it's crack or mj, that's their job, and it's going to be a very unpleasant experience for him and if he's selling, his landlord. The police aren't going to ignore this guy b/c mj isn't a serious drug.

Or maybe she thinks mj is evil. Who am I to say?
Well, depending on the state, even the legality is not so B&W. Anyway, growing and/or dealing are a bit different. I still wouldn't call the cops unless I honestly feared for my family's safety - but I understand that others aren't that tolerant. But if he's just a recreational or medicinal smoker? He's not going to get arrested, unless he has large quantities or is definitely selling it. It's unlikely the police would even come out for a visit, and if they did, chances are he would get a warning, or maybe a fine. IME (and I no longer partake), they very well may ignore this guy, since he's only smoking pot, not running a meth lab.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#88 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

What's scary to me is that there are people in this country who don't think the laws they disagree with should apply to them.

Drummer's Wife - it is VERY black and white. It's illegal. Bottom line.

If I saw someone stealing a car or carrying a gun into a bank, I'd call the police. I don't see how anyone can justify turning a blind eye to *some* illegal activities and not to others. The law is the law, like it or not. Good citizens follow the rules.
#89 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Well, depending on the state, even the legality is not so B&W. Anyway, growing and/or dealing are a bit different. I still wouldn't call the cops unless I honestly feared for my family's safety - but I understand that others aren't that tolerant. But if he's just a recreational or medicinal smoker? He's not going to get arrested, unless he has large quantities or is definitely selling it. It's unlikely the police would even come out for a visit, and if they did, chances are he would get a warning, or maybe a fine. IME (and I no longer partake), they very well may ignore this guy, since he's only smoking pot, not running a meth lab.
It sounds like he's growing it. If it sounds like that to me, won't it sound like that to law enforcement? They don't know what it is--harmless mellow smoker dude w/ a grow light or crazy meth lab militia member. They'll assume the worst for their own safety and let the courts work it out. Personally, I wouldn't call the police either, but I'd be worried and would def tell my landlord. In fact, I'm such a worrier that I'd send a certified letter and let it be on her head, b/c really, IMO that's who should be dealing with it.

But maybe I didn't read the whole thread. I'm not talking about the smoke--I think she should nicely confront him about that in addition to the landlord--I'm talking about the "fresh" smell and the upcoming energy audit. If it's just smoke, I agree, hopefully the police have better things to do.
#90 of 175 Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 AM

"Good citizens follow the rules."

oh! Is that what makes a citizen good? I live in a place where it is Decriminalized and you won't get in any trouble for having it. TONS of people grow Legally and sell it to Legally to MJ card holders. There is nothing black and white about it... or very many other things for that matter.

op- i would be super upset about audit for the electricity bills... maybe you should bring it up to him...and if he has been stealing your power...doesn't he owe you some MONEY?! So sorry your having to put up with this. Hope there is resolve soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page