How do you handle 'but everyone else is allowed to do XYZ' - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great, thanks. I can see that I am not so out of line after all by saying what I do. It just seems so trite to always be saying 'Other parents do different things'!
#32 of 40 Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use a variety of responses. If I hear, "Why does J. get to have/do/go somewhere and I can't?", I often say "it's because J. is very lucky and has wonderful parents and you are stuck with a mean mom who will only let you have/do/go..." and then I list a bunch of things that are okay.

It acknowledges the hardship, but with a little humour, and points out all the advantages that ds or dd have.

I have used the "Okay - convince me why you should have/do/go....whatever the issue is" It turns the responsibility back on the child, encourages critical thinking, logic and persuasion. They have to come up with a more persuasive argument than "J. gets to!" - I want to hear about critical factors that will address my concerns.
#33 of 40 Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I use a variety of responses. If I hear, "Why does J. get to have/do/go somewhere and I can't?", I often say "it's because J. is very lucky and has wonderful parents and you are stuck with a mean mom who will only let you have/do/go..." and then I list a bunch of things that are okay.

It acknowledges the hardship, but with a little humour, and points out all the advantages that ds or dd have.

I have used the "Okay - convince me why you should have/do/go....whatever the issue is" It turns the responsibility back on the child, encourages critical thinking, logic and persuasion. They have to come up with a more persuasive argument than "J. gets to!" - I want to hear about critical factors that will address my concerns.
: Well said.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#34 of 40 Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I tell my dd that every family is different and that we just don't do certain things in our family. I also sometimes point out that there are things she gets to do that other kids don't get to do and that there are things other parents do to their kids that I would never do to her.
#35 of 40 Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
We explain why we've made the rule. I'm not so inflexible that I believe I cannot be wrong. There are times when DS makes a good argument for something, and I assume that will continue for him (and be true for DD as well). I'm completely open to the possibility that perhaps a change is in order.
ditto here. that is why we rarely get the 'but others...'

i never give her the because i am your parent or any others that are listed here. they would never work with her - esp. having the lawyer in her and the arguing.

in some areas we are v. permissive, in some NOT at all.

for my dd having the dialogue really helps her understand and accept too.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#36 of 40 Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Me too. And if one of the reasons (even if it's the last in a long list of reasons) is "because everyone else does", my response is an automatic no. But I have changed my mind because of a well reasoned argument on a subject.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#37 of 40 Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM

"if so and so jumped off a Bridge would you?" LMAO. JK. I am reading everyone elses intelligent responses.
#38 of 40 Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM

When I get the "but everyone else is allowed to..." I answer with a, "but your not 'everyone', you're you; and you are not allowed to."

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#39 of 40 Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM

This hasn't come up in our family yet, but my favorite "family model" of 4 builds a sense of family pride. "We are the Jones" family is something they often talk about with a great sense of this is who we are!!! Excitment, etc. They also use this when explaining some things that other families do, that they don't. Helps prevent "we are better than them" mentality. We are the Jones and in the Jones house we do things this way, etc. It seems to really work for them both in the postive circumstances and the "negative."

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#40 of 40 Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInCalifornia View Post
A common saying in our home is "different families have different rules".
This is exactly what I say.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page