Do you want a nurse in your home? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriosa View Post
I don't see why the hostility. I guess that most mothers on MDC are well informed, have done their research and know exactly what they want and how they are going to handle their newborns and therefore don't need any outside assistance. But look around you ladies, at the much vaster world of un-informed or perhaps ill-informed mothers, the sick, the depressed, the reluctant, the overwhelmed .... how much could this mean, what a help this could be - it could literally save lives, probably improve many a childs early life.
A big :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
The government has ZERO business in MY business. They can't run what they already are in charge of. This angers me beyond everything else that *&#$* has done. I just hope impeachment starts soon.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Well, this thread will no doubt get pulled because some people had to go and turn it into a political debate. *sigh*

Anyhoo, I think this type of program could be really good for low-income/ at risk new mothers. It could reallly help for someone who doesn't have a lot of family support.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#63 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

After I had DS we got a call from a home health nurse, and we had her come over. She weighed and measured the baby, and asked how we were adjusting.

It would've been fine until she started insisting that DS needed 6 hours of tummy time daily, or he would grow up to have a floppy neck and all sorts of other problems. And she advocated leaving him to CIO during tummy time.
#64 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Here is a ncie summary of all the myhts surrounding the healthcare debate.

http://m.factcheck.org/2009/04/gover...n-health-care/

Pretty much everything we in America are hearing about this debate is deliberately misleading to create hysteria and anger and derail the process completely.

Having a child with cerebral palsy means we have never felt more vulnerable to the vagaries of the insurance world. If I lose my job and insurance I will have a child with a pre-existing condition that won't be covered by most insurers. Also, if you think the government isn't already making decisions for you-well I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale. And, even if it is not the governmen our health care decisions are made by remote people who look at profits before patients.

Totally off topic in a way I know-but I really do appreciate this kind of thinking. New Moms and babies are vulnerable and often need help. Why not offer it to them??
#65 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
And I disagree. I do not want those people in charge of my healthcare. They have no business in it.
That's how I feel about insurance companies.
#66 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM

What's the big deal with weighing and measuring? I don't see why parents couldn't do that themselves, if they think that it is necessary at all.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#67 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM

I think what influences one's feelings on the subject depend on where they sit in the world.

If one is surrounded by capable, informed mothers/parents that have their children's best interests at heart, I can see why they would have the attitude of "stay out of my house and health care."

But unfortunately, there are large pockets of society that aren't informed and educated about such issues. For example -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
What's the big deal with weighing and measuring? I don't see why parents couldn't do that themselves, if they think that it is necessary at all.
There are parents out there that wouldn't be able to do the above. They wouldn't be able to recognize if their baby was developing well or not. These are the types of people that would benefit from extra care.

Maybe it is where I live but there are way too many cases in the news about very sad things happening to babies of ill-equiped parents.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#68 of 68 Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
closed for moderator review

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page