Advice on night time routine change? - Mothering Forums
Parenting > Advice on night time routine change?
nj's_mom's Avatar nj's_mom 01:45 PM 08-20-2009
I am starting college classes towards my degree at night the first week of Sept. My classes are M,T,W,TH from 6:30 til 9:30, so I'll be gone from 6 to 10. I have never not been home at night with DD- she nurses to sleep and around 8pm becomes a totally clingy mommy only cuddlebug baby. She isn't that upset when I'm not around, but if I'm there, no one else will do. I usually put her to sleep around 9pm, sometimes a bit earlier or later, depending on how she feels and what the level of excitement at the house is. Occassionally she stays up late with us or goes to sleep early. We usually do bathtime before bedtime, and now we are brushing her teeth- or she is taking her toothbrush with holistic dental drops and rubbing it around in her mouth for ten minutes or so until I pry it from her poor little hand and say "all done with teethies!"

Anyways, my concern is her ability and willingness to adapt to someone besides ME doing her night time routine and putting her to sleep. I figure my options are thus.

A.) Let DH try to work out a night time routine with her, and try to rock her to sleep or something, which might involve crying and stress.

or, B.) Give her a late long nap and tell DH to prolong bedtime- take a longer bath, which she would adore and never be fussy with, let her brush her teethies for longer, which she would adore, read a book, play, etc- anything but attempt to make her sleep. When I got home at 10 I would nurse her to sleep like normal.

Which do you think makes more sense? Is there something I'm forgetting? I am leaning towards B., for obvious reasons. (Oh yes, and DD is 12mo.)

tbone_kneegrabber's Avatar tbone_kneegrabber 05:15 PM 08-20-2009
I am in the same boat as you. Although ds is 2yo and I took classes this past spring and summer. I let dp and ds work it out together. Sometimes ds ends up crying some, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he's asleep when I get home, sometimes he's still awake. We just go with the flow and they do want they need to do to get through the late evenings/past bedtime part of the day
Up