Do your kids use real plates or plastic? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
We have some Melamine plates I like to use simply because of the lip/edge that they have. Kiddos are still at the stage where things slide quite easily off their plates
We had this trouble too (and still have it sometimes, on the cusp of turning five) and our Fiestaware bowls have been great as "plates" with wall!

I originally started picking up Fiestaware pieces because my husband seemed to manage to ding and chip everything and I noticed that a friend with a husband with similar dish-handling habits didn't have any chips, etc., in hers and the stuff has held up amazingly well. We used it from the start with my children. I also think pulling them right up to the table helped encourage good table "manners" and curbed some of the chucking stuff overboard...

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#92 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 AM

I used real for both girls until recently, when dd2 very deliberately smashed hers on the floor. So now she gets plastic if it isn't a very sturdy dish. At my moms we use plastic, since her floor is ceramic tile and anything you drop breaks.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#93 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM

We have some plastic kiddie plates, but I don't own a microwave and we only use them for snacks (nothing hot or cold) so I don't feel too bad about them.

My kids have never broken a real plate or glass. My sister is the only one who has. She's about as clumsy as the day is long. She also broke my blender trying to wash it. LOL.

I wouldn't care if the kids broke a glass anyway. They use old jelly jars or peanut butter jars instead of traditional cups.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#94 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny penny View Post
Ds uses our regular plates and glasses and has never broken one. I'm one of those plastic-phobic mamas so we avoid it whenever possible.
Yes-plastic phobic here, too. For DS age9 he uses regular dishware and glass cups. For DS age 2, I use Corelle dishes- (he has shattered 2 in about a year which isnt so bad...) and drinks out of a stainless steel cup and water out of his klean kanteen. No sippys and people cant believe how careful he is.
#95 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM

DD uses regular plates, glasses, and cutlery at the table... salad plate, small glass (cheap Ikea, so no heartbreak if it breaks), salad fork and real knife if it's something she'd be able to cut herself. We do have plastic, though. It's used for snacks in the backyard, or in the car on the way to school. But when we sit at the table, we use the real stuff!

FWIW, we switched DD when she was about 2. At that point, we were really good at intercepting plates at the throwing stage (throwing with her meant she didn't want to eat anymore, so why leave the plate in front of her). I also found that the heavier "real" plate wasn't easy to push around and there was something about it that made it not as appealing to wing across the room.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#96 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 AM

In general, our kids have used regular plates and glasses.

However, with our current setup they've been eating at a small table in our sunroom, which has a hard tile floor. DS also sits with our girls on his own kiddle chair, and things have been more llikely to land on a the floor. For this reason, they've been using stainless steel dishes.

When the kids eat outside or in the car they get plastic dishes.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#97 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Both. He has some fun character ones that unfortunatly don't come in 'real' lmao. Otherwise, tbh, there is no specific reason why we use either.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#98 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have some plastic kids plates, but they don't always use them. It just depends on what's clean.
#99 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
It seems like I am the only one who has DS eat off of real plates. He doesn't have special plates, he just uses a salad plate instead of a dinner one. He does have small snack bowls that are made for kids. Everyone else seems to have special plastic plates for their kids and I've had them ask for plastic here - which I don't have. Well, I do in the picnic stuff that's in the garage. We've just always had him use our stuff.

Thoughts?

Sophia hasn't been allowed to eat from glass/ceramic plate since she dropped one on Abigail's head, gashing her forehead wide open, which warranted an ER visit and a huge traumatic event for poor Abigail (she had to lie flat on her back for 15 minutes so the liquid analgesic wouldn't drip down from the gash on her forehead into her eyes before the dr could glue the gash closed).

I just read the thread. Broken dishes never was a concern for me. But broken heads cannot be returned to normal/pre-injury. Abigail still has a scar over a year later.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#100 of 100 Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM

We don't have plastic plates or bowls. If something gets broke oh well, we just buy another one.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page