Things other moms do with their kids that you would hate doing with yours - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
umm lol I notice that a lot of moms I know with only 1 or 2 kids do a lot of things I cringe at and wouldnt even consider with all 5 of mine, like when our playgroup paints ceramics....my two year old in a ceramic store gives me a panic attack just thinking about it lol.being involved in anything sports related, nope. anything really competitive skeeves me out too. errands,anything super messy,story times at the library my kids would never sit there and behave, mommy and me activities where all the other kids just sit there happily while mine are jumping around being loud laughing and the other parents are staring....do you want me to keep going? lol
NAK

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#182 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heh; this is a great thread!

I dislike... um, anything that requires effort. That includes complicated craft projects, overly physically-exerty games, and pretty much taking DD anywhere. We don't have a car, and the pram's currently on the fritz, so taking her anywhere means walking AND lugging whatever groceries/nappies/library books etc are necessary for the trip. It's hard enough summoning up the oomph to take her on a necessary multiple errand (like today - yawn!); but taking her to something like Mainly Music (which we do sporadically), playdates (pretty much never) or, heaven forbid, the swimming pool? Gah!

The whole "cooking with kids" thing makes me giggle. I love cooking and look forward to doing it with DD, but it occurred to me the other day that it may not be as idyllic as I expect. I used to let my (significantly) younger sisters "help" me with cooking when I was a teenager, and it usually ended up in frustration and shouting. I was never willing to compromise the product for the sake of fun, so if a small sibling tipped out some of the flour by accident there was hell to pay!

DH jokes that while my mother, who hates cooking, always used to greet my culinary endeavors with extreme enthusiasm, I'm likely to respond to DD's cooking with "What a sweet Mother's Day breakfast, honey, but you don't make custard with custard powder, you have to use real eggs, and remind me to show you how to make a proper iced chocolate one day". It's possible...

I do like reading to her though. She's 18 months and really into books all of a sudden, so that combined with her recent language explosion makes it quite interactive and fun. I even do voices... my old school teachers would be amazed.

Oh, and ditto for kids' music. DD's favourite music is Billy Joel, Rent and Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Oh, and rap. We don't listen to rap, but if it comes up in a movie she's start bopping and head-banging like nobody's business. Whitest kid in the world. Don't ask me.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#183 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
I hate going to the park. I really really hate going to the park. I'm all for bike rides and playing outside, making chalk drawings and blowing bubbles, playing catch and all sorts of outside stuff. But "LOOK AT ME!" "Watch me climb this!" "Watch me slide!" "Watch me swing!!" Dude, really, I almost die of boredom. I'm going to start sending my sitter to the park with dd, that's how much I hate it. I'm willing to pay for someone else to do it.
So I am not alone!! I hate the park. I hate sitting there with nothing to do. It is hot, and humid ALL YEAR LONG, or at least 9 months of the year. I don't want to play on the equimpment with him and watching a child go up and down the same slide over and over again is monotonous at best.

Reading out loud is for the birds. I skip pages ALL.THE.TIME.

+ + =
#184 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 AM

Intentionally matching mother-daughter, or family outfits. Uh, no thanks!
#185 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 AM

I RARELY read to my dd but whenever she asks me to read her a book then I'll read it to her. Unless she loses focus or start watching TV or whatever, then I'll just stop reading to her. And I rarely go to her room when its her bed time to tuck her in. I always give her a big hug, kiss and say good night babe before she goes to her room to go to bed. I ALWAYS feel guilty when I see a movie showing that a mom or dad reading their child a book in bed then tuck them in afterward. That always makes me feel like a lazy or a bad mom.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#186 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erratum View Post
I dig playing pretend. Except, this kid I babysat for used to make me be more than one character at the same time. So you're talking to yourself AND having to come up with twice the inane dialogue as usual! It makes you feel totally schizophrenic!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#187 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 AM

Pretend Play. I'm terrible at it. Terrible!

I'll gladly play with the building toys with her, do crafts, etc, but I'm not playing pretend, hrmph!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#188 of 212 Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM

We have had a ban on toys that make noise all along. I go to other parent's houses and here kids pushing buttons on those things and want to get up and leave. So, so, annoying. We don't allow kids' music or movies that aren't even trying to be good (ie all that straight to dvd kid junk). We almost never paint, playdoh isn't allowed inside, and I don't think we've ever done a proper "craft." I pretty much suck at and hate pretend play, although I love to watch them pretend, just don't like participating.

On the other hand, we never babyproofed and I loooove sports-- I coached t-ball when my oldest was 5 and will probably coach more teams in the future, I stay for practices, throw the football around at home, and cheer every game. And I love the park-- my boys are entertained for hours while I sit and read a book!
#189 of 212 Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 PM

oh, i almost forgot:

pushing anybody. on anything. ever.
#190 of 212 Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
DD's Barbie went bungy jumping! Except the string always feel off when tied around her ankles so it was tied around her neck...
Can I just say..... LMAO!!!!

I don't really enjoy pretend play.

Oh, and EC-ing. I read these articles and posts from people who EC, and all I can think is "good for them." I get the concept. Really, I do. But the thought of hodling a 1 month old over a toilet, carrying a potty chair wherever we go, constantly spraying our carpet with odor/stain remover, and walking around with a cloth dipe spread over my hip just in case baby pees/poos on me? No thank you.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#191 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I don't care much what my kids play with - to me micromanaging their experience has gotten to be more annoying than anything.
Right on, love it. I hate seeing parent's projecting their own anal retentive ways onto their children....and getting into a pissing party over it ~ my child has never seen a TV, well we don't use electricity/gas/corn, yeah well my child wears leaves in place of diapers, mmm mine picks the organic local small-farmed non-capitalist food she eats and prepares it herself..and she's 2.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for the cloth-diapering, whole food eating, carbon-footprint reducing set and I try to do my part as well. I just hate the pissing parties.

This thread is a great read. My DD is only one, so we're still finding our way.

Partner to my Dotu and Mama to my Joy DD 10/5/2008
#192 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 AM

I don't get the style of homeschooling that is a home version of a classroom. I know parents that start "class" at 7:30am with the pledge, and go through the day with a set schedule for each subject. Even lunch and outside play are scheduled. Of course, they think that unschoolers like myself are lazy, neglectful and giving homeschooling a bad name (and don't mind telling me that either!)

And along the same lines, school schedules. Getting up early and keeping an eye on the clock. No thanks.

Bed time routines. Blah.

Keeping the house spotless. How do people do this?

Reading aloud. I don't mind doing it actually (it was my favorite part of being a kindy teacher) but DD makes it torture! And why does she only want to do it when I am half asleep or in the middle of cooking/dishes/feeding her baby brother?

I hate doing anything outside when it's hot out. I live in FL so that's pretty much from April to October.

Waiting around while DD takes a class. I had to limit her to 1 activity a week like this.

Pretend play quickly makes me nuts. DD is in a phase where she likes to direct. She likes to feed me all of my lines and then correct me when I do it "wrong".

I do like cooking with DD. I just don't expect her to complete a project, she always looses interest at some point.

Looking at the toy aisle is the reward for cooperating with me when I have to run errands. We hit Target up frequently for TP, soap and shampoo, prescriptions, etc... so I make it the last stop.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#193 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I hate going to the park. I really really hate going to the park. I'm all for bike rides and playing outside, making chalk drawings and blowing bubbles, playing catch and all sorts of outside stuff. But "LOOK AT ME!" "Watch me climb this!" "Watch me slide!" "Watch me swing!!" Dude, really, I almost die of boredom. I'm going to start sending my sitter to the park with dd, that's how much I hate it. I'm willing to pay for someone else to do it.
I'll go back now and read all the other replies, but THIS times 1,000!!!!!!

The park we drive by everyday is the bane of my mothering existence.
I didn't like the park as a kid and I don't enjoy it anymore now.

"Momma, come up and go down the slide with me." Ugh, no thanks. I will do a million other things for you, but PLEASE NOT THE PARK.

I even hate it when he's off playing with other kids and I'm stuck with the mommas....hmm, that might even be a worse fate.

and @ the park.

Center
#194 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM

This is a spin-off of the playing pretend thing, but my DS has a puppet that I have been known to hide.

"You put dragon [the puppet] on your hand. You make dragon do XYZ. Dragon reads me a book. Dragon plays trains. Dragon builds a tower with me."

I hate the dragon.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#195 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I am TOTALLY with you on this one.

Also, I am jealous of parents that enjoy setting up and doing craft projects with their kids. I like to do MY crafts - but I'm a perfectionist and can't stand the mess that the kids make, or their imperfections, or the fact that after they make something, they RUIN it!! I'm always wanting to snatch the painting away from my DDs and say "STOP! It's perfect the way it is! Stop adding more!"
#196 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Ok, so now I've read all the replies...it's amazing how differently we all are!!

I will admit...I LOVE going to Toy'R'Us with my kid, not just the toy aisle at Target/WalMart. We can spend HOURS in there and leave with nothing.
I love taking the kid to soccer. Though I dread the other moms, I totally enjoy doing nothing but watching him run around and kick the ball.
I love playing frisbee with him. It's awesome!
I love taking him with me on all my regular errands.
I love doing craft projects with him...hitting up a craft store is exciting for us.
I love bath time....it's our chat time.
I love going to movies with him.
I enjoy CEC so long as I'm not dragged around and expected to pretend to be engrossed in the games.
Maybe that should be a S/O thread....

I hate teaching him anything formal....writing, reading, etc. It's drives me bonkers. All the other "conceptual" things I'm ok with.

I hate kids music too...except for kids Christmas music (we listen to it year round). We are avid headbangers and air guitar players!!!!!!!

I REFUSE to do anything outside in the cold. YOU wanna out on a coat and freeze your tail off, kiddo, go.right.ahead. *I* will be in the house with two pairs of sock, flannel long underwear and sweat drinking hot tea!!!!

I loath pretend play too. I've really tried to endure it for the sake of the kid, but even as a kid the closest I got to pretend play was sticking my nose in a book.

Center
#197 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe View Post

I hate the dragon.
:

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#198 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM

The park, as well. I live on Long Island, aka: Land of the $400 Umbrella Stroller. I always feel like an outcast in my jeans, sandals and pony tail, next to the other moms all decked-out in Ann Taylor, high heels, in full make-up, sipping fancy coffee, and each kid has a Happy Meal in hand. None of the parks have trees (can't waste municipal funds on raking leaves, eh?) and that full-on sunlight makes my fibromyalgia flare-up. Ugh. Plus my kids are both runners and need to be supervised more closely than many other kids, especially autistic ds.

The day I can sit on a bench and read a friggin book while my kids play is the day I will go to the park. Some overcast would be nice, too. LOL.

#199 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=lolablitz;14527738]Right on, love it. I hate seeing parent's projecting their own anal retentive ways onto their children....and getting into a pissing party over it ~ my child has never seen a TV, well we don't use electricity/gas/corn, yeah well my child wears leaves in place of diapers, mmm mine picks the organic local small-farmed non-capitalist food she eats and prepares it herself..and she's 2.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for the cloth-diapering, whole food eating, carbon-footprint reducing set and I try to do my part as well. I just hate the pissing parties.

Don't know how I missed this thread and I haven't read through everything but this cracked me up. So true.

The sea monkey has my money.

#200 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Traveling with babies or young kids.

No matter how much fun we had on the few trips we have been on with our daughter, it just never seemed worth all the trouble to me. We've only driven to see my mom a few times, and we flew to NYC once because my DH was awarded a free trip through work. Yeah, we had fun, but it was just too much work.

Now that we have a second, you could not pay me money to travel anywhere at this point. Between my daughter's constant talking and need to use the potty, and my son nursing and being in diapers and just being a crazy one year old, I'd rather eat dirt that go any further than the grocery store.

Once they get older though, I think we will have a blast traveling, but not until they can feed themselves, put themselves to sleep, and wipe their own butts .

coolshine.gif

#201 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefodil View Post
Also, I am jealous of parents that enjoy setting up and doing craft projects with their kids. I like to do MY crafts - but I'm a perfectionist and can't stand the mess that the kids make, or their imperfections, or the fact that after they make something, they RUIN it!! I'm always wanting to snatch the painting away from my DDs and say "STOP! It's perfect the way it is! Stop adding more!"
This is why we don't do more crafts. If I'm in just the right mental space, I totally love it. The rest of the time, my prefectionist streak mucks everything up. DD1 is mostly content to draw, colour and craft on her own, though.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#202 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
But the thought of hodling a 1 month old over a toilet, carrying a potty chair wherever we go, constantly spraying our carpet with odor/stain remover, and walking around with a cloth dipe spread over my hip just in case baby pees/poos on me? No thank you.
thats not quite what it looked like for us...!

Katie
#203 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
Waiting around while DD takes a class. I had to limit her to 1 activity a week like this.
I loved that when I only had one. It was reading time, and I didn't feel guilty! Now, while dd1 is in ballet, I have to entertain ds2. It's not bad right now, because there's a playground outside. But, once the rain begins in earnest, it will be different. I don't like taking him in the car covered in mud, and he will be covered in mud if I let him into that playground when it's wet.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#204 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Oh, and ditto for kids' music. DD's favourite music is Billy Joel, Rent and Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Oh, and rap. We don't listen to rap, but if it comes up in a movie she's start bopping and head-banging like nobody's business. Whitest kid in the world. Don't ask me.
Stand back everyone, nothing here to see. Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me! Yes, Captain Hammer’s here, hair blowing in the breeze, and the day needs my saving expertise.

10 y.o. ds loves Doctor Horrible. Well, we all do.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#205 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM

overscheduling. I have no intention of making a job out of signing my kids up for 9000 out of the house activities or groups. If I have 4 scheduled things (including doctors appointments) in a MONTH I feel busy. I can be busy all day at home without feeling totally warn out. Leaving the house with kids just sucks the energy out of me.

I'm not sure if this exists IRL but I see it on TV and in movies. Those groups where moms sit around in a circle with their babies in their laps singing "the wheels on the bus" while flapping their babies arms around to the beat of the song. GAG! I love to sing and be silly with my kids but, that scenerio erks me.

Hosting playdates at my house. NO WAAAAAY! Bratty kids messing up my house! I'm sorry but, there seems to be a lot of children who do not understand how to treat material items or other people's homes. Stomping on things, throwing stuff, breaking things on purpose, spreading junk everywhere without any intention of cleaning it up, screaming, spilling carelessly, demanding things, terrorizing my dogs and cats .... no thanks! I like a calm household.

Homeschooling. Nope, just not my gig. I love doing art projects, going on science oriented outtings, reading books, teaching about the world, animals, nature, numbers, writing, and such.... but not for hours on end. Several hours straight 4 to 6 days a week would drive me batty.

Subject myself or dd to kids music. Kidz Bop (kill me now) or similar music directed at kids. No cartoon soundtracks or singalongs. There are plenty of kids friendly songs to listen to that I like too. Dd's definatly has preferences though. Slowly she is starting to branch out a bit from upbeat, fast, and fun stuff to more mellow and less mainstream stuff. This week she has been requesting an odd combo of Imogen Heap and Patti Paige.
----------------------------
things I do like that others seem not to:

sports! Watching or coaching. Dh is really into this as well. He coaches several people, 3 days a week, IN our house... for FREE and we're both ok with that.

art projects. I do hate the clean up though. I love art and spent lots of time with it as a child so I can relate.

Pretend. I like escaping reality for a moment to play pretend with dd. I was ALWAYS playing pretend and using my imagination as a child. We play with dolls or stuffed animals and yes, I give my characters a silly voice and personality. I find it extremely entertaining to hear what sort of plots dd comes up with and how her characters react to the nutty things my characters do or say. I always thought acting would be fun and as a mommy this is about as close it gets. Now that dd is 4 I think we're going to start making movies together too. Something I used to do for fun in the late teen years.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#206 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Once they get older though, I think we will have a blast traveling, but not until they can can feed themselves, put themselves to sleep, and wipe their own butts .
Plus, they won't remember any of it now anyway. Wait till they're older and can appreciate it more and will make memories for their adulthood.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#207 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I don't like kids music- My kids ask for rock n roll!
I also don't like bathtime, i am so thankful ds is old enough to take a shower by himself now and dd likes short baths.

I also hate the park- sooo blah for me now that my kids can do everything. At least when they were younger i could help them out, now i just sit on the bench and read or be bored outta my mind!

Amusement parks- fun, water park- no way. Heights+tubes+stairs+ lots of people in a tiny space= no fun for me, i'll let dh handle that one.

and lastly, homeschooling. I hate school, not good at learning, have no desire to do this whatsoever, however, if for some reason either kid needs out of school i would immediately pull them and have my mom home school (she already said she would )

Love reading this thread!

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#208 of 212 Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post

I'm not sure if this exists IRL but I see it on TV and in movies. Those groups where moms sit around in a circle with their babies in their laps singing "the wheels on the bus" while flapping their babies arms around to the beat of the song. GAG! I love to sing and be silly with my kids but, that scenerio erks me.
They exist. We've done it. Thankfully now my DS refuses to participate in "singing time." A huge relief to me.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#209 of 212 Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New View Post
My family doesn't know Chuck E. Cheese exists. :
Oh how I wish. Dh insists on taking dd there all the time. I don't see the point. If we had saved all the money we've wasted going there, playing the same games over and over and eating their awful food, we could have taken a trip to Disney. I love Disney.

I tried a playgroup at the park once but I got sick of listening to the other Moms moan and groan about their lives and planning 'girls nights out' to bars and dance clubs. Not my cup of tea. McDonald's playland was much more up my alley, dd always had someone to play with and I had A/C

I don't do camping. Period. I dislike the beach but dd loves it so I suck it up a few times each summer. I'm also not very sporty, but luckily dd isn't either. I do like doing crafts and cooking with her, playing board games and cards and reading books. The library is our home away from home.
#210 of 212 Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
We do this. Mainly Music, it's called here and it's very common - mothers, the odd father, plenty of grandparents and nannies take their kids.

I hate it a lot less than I expected to, actually. It's fun ogling the other babies and it makes me feel like a Real Mother, because I'm pretty slack about playdates/going to the park/swimming lessons/baby ballet/all those other enrichment activities cool mothers do. Mostly I just hate having to get out of bed, get ready and walk there by 9:30AM. Oh, and remembering to have the $3 cash it costs per week (including morning tea, so by no means a ripoff, I just don't tend to carry cash).

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page