Child Protection, have you had to deal with them? How do you deal? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have you had CPS called on you?
Yes. It was a false report 21 100.00%
Yes. It was a founded report. 3 75.00%
No. I've never had CPS called on me. 80 100.00%
Other 10 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Letter I wrote to Then Minister Hogg... (that o is pronoused like the o in hole and others not as in piggy, although he looked like one)

Please don't edit this out Moderators. This is a letter from a parent fighting back!

Quote:
Dear Sir:

Earlier today, I had a most disturbing visit with two members of your ministry. I was told that my worker, whose card I did not receive today, had been trying to get in touch with me with regards to my five month old son’s health and well being. I never had any messages on my answering machine nor was there anything on the Caller ID screen. The visit today was not only a shock to both myself and my son’s father who was present at the time, it was terrifying. I was forced to sit through an interrogation of our activities, my family unit, my support system and more all while in a housecoat because I was not given enough time to get dressed let alone become presentable.

The social worker who spoke to us told me that because of what happened with my daughter who was placed in continuing care my file was red flag which meant that any complaint would be investigated immediately.

I would like to know why your staff uses prejudicial assumptions instead of judging each complaint on its own merits or even gauging it with regards to a pattern with each individual child.

I am no longer the young woman who was terrorized by an abusive family member. I have a strong support system, a loving extended family, and my son’s father is determined to do everything he can to keep our son at my side. Your social workers didn’t seem to care that I had severed ties with the abusive members of my family.

The worker came in and found us in a state of disarray. I had been up late last night dealing with a cranky teething five month old who has had two teeth for over a month and had planned on cleaning after breakfast when I finally got up. The dishes had not been done and we did have clothing and other objects strewn around our place as is normal in almost any house when one is under the stress of a teething baby. They came probably expecting to find a malnourished underdeveloped child who was covered in his own feces. Instead, they found a clean, happy, thriving child who is much loved by his parents, so their main cause blunted, they sought out any reason to justify their visit and their continuing presence in our lives.

We were told that my home was too small and far too dangerous for our son. We were told over and over again that my place needed to be made child-safe, something that we ourselves have been doing but it is an ongoing process. We had our four month old kitten threatened with declawing if we didn’t remove her from the premises for the “danger” she presented to our son. Only when I accused the worker of animal abuse was he willing to renegotiate.

We were not allowed to defend ourselves and have had to consent to a homemaker to help us “clean” and “child proof” my home. I feel that this is a waste of valuable resources and money better spent elsewhere. As my son’s abilities increase, out of necessity I will have to keep a clean home so that he will have a safe place to explore. My son is not yet mobile, nor has he made any inclinations towards becoming mobile. It is only within the last month that he has figured out how to sit up straight without support.

I was questioned three separate times as to how I was coping with being a new mother. I felt as if they didn’t believe that I was coping well and that they expected me to admit that I was a failure as a mother. I’m not perfect, but I’m hardly a failure. All this happened while the male social worker towered over us, refused to sit in an offered chair, and I was naked and barely covered under a housecoat.

A single complaint regarding a scratch less than a quarter inch long is going to affect our lives for months if not years to come. It is sad to see the waste of resources applied to such a minimal complaint when there are children in far worse situations that need care far more.

We took our son to our doctor’s clinic in the afternoon and the report was that the scratch was of minimal concern. Our son was weighed in at 19lbs 8oz - nearly 9kg - and is not only size for weight and age, but has in fact doubled his birth weight. He was also very happy, energetic, and showed his outgoing personality to the doctor. This is not the sign of an abused or uncared for child. The scratch was determined as probably self-inflicted since the doctor watched my son scratch at a patch of excema I have been trying to alleviate for several weeks now. My son had no sign of diaper rash. Please find enclosed a copy of his medical records which will prove to you the truth of my statements here.

I ask that you redirect the staff under your direction to focus on higher priority cases than one involving an infant with a scratch on his face. I have learned from the many mistakes made with my daughter and plan not to commit them with my son. To have my file red flagged is very prejudicial and does not take into account the learning process one goes through as a parent.
Internal affairs contacted me within the month and apologized and investigated. I think social worker no 9, a man, also got chewed out about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I had a friend whose children went through, in one month, several little accidents that required medical attention. She went to different hospitals since these events happened in different locations, so she was not trying to hide anything deliberately, and she was rudely paid a visit by CPS.
applejuice-
I've been thinking about this, and I began to wonder- Could her health insurance company have called CPS, because one insurance claim after another came in?

I still want to know who goes into that National Registry- people with founded reports? Unfounded reports? Both?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein

User Tag List