potty learning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-12-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd started using the potty full time august 2nd. i just started back to work (after having the summer off) last week and her and her brother stay at our house with my parents (they always watch them when I work).

She won't use the potty with them. Actually, she won't use the potty with anyone but me. She peed at 7:30am before I left and then didn't go again until it finally just came out at 5:30PM! My mom said that starting at 2, she started saying it hurt but she still wouldn't go.

I am not making a big deal of it but have been talking to her about not holding it in. How do I handle this? Do you think she'll just sort it out when she's ready?

Thanks
diana
#2 of 2 Old 09-13-2009, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sometimes happens with children who have recently begun using the potty full time. It can take some time before a child trusts their new caretaker (even a grandparent they know well) enough to want to do the deed on the toilet while their parents aren't home. It is something that she'll probably outgrow once she's adapted to having grandma as her caretaker while you're at work. Also, her toilet skills are still new, so as she gains more confidence on the potty she will probably stop holding out during the day and resume her normal toileting schedule. Hopefully sooner rather than later, right?

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page