Mothering Forum banner

Did you grow up with two homes-Did you regret your parents divorce?

8K views 117 replies 66 participants last post by  GoBecGo 
#1 ·
Hi... I was hoping to hear from adults that grew up with two homes, meaning their parents divorced sometime in their childhood. Did you regret their divorce? Or did you think it was probably the best thing they did? When you became old enough to understand, did you appreciate your parents thinking about your happiness?

I'd just like some real feedback from adults who have lived it. I have heard various stories...

If you hated and regretted it... why? Could they have done anything differently to make it better or easier on you?

Thanks for sharing.

See less See more
#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I would say that yes, there will always be some instability during a divorce, at least in the beginning, while they're woorking stuff out. Who gets divorced and there is not one issue? If that were the case, then why get divorced?
I believe "issues" are different than "instability".

Trust me, we had our "issues", but I made/make it a point to provide an anchor of stability for my son.

#54 ·
To answer the ORIGINAL POST--

My parents divorced when I was 9 after many years of fighting. I was hugely relieved when they split--the fights at home were upsetting and there wasn't any happiness in our house. My mom and I were happier on our own. My mom remarried a wonderful man when I was 14. My Dad, who is a very engaging and fun guy, was out of my life for the most part until I graduated from college. He was just not part of the picture. At the time, I blamed him, but now that I am older I can see that my mom had a lot to do with it. Also, now that I am older I can see that my mom has a lot issues that could make for an impossible marriage. So, I don't absolve either of them now of the "blame" for not making it work.

I do wish they had gotten their acts together and made it work, but it took many, many years for my Dad to become a person who could handle responsibilities and I truly don't think he is cut out for fatherhood and marriage. I am also not sure, and my mom agrees, that she is cut out for marriage. She has a lot of anger that gets in the way of enjoying life or allowing any flexibility.

When I was a kid, I thought it all worked out for the best.

In my 30's, I was able to look back and see that the whole unhappy situation (not just the divorce but the bad family dynamic) affected me greatly and led to some damaging behaviors and negativity toward relationships.

In my 40's, with my own family, I think it makes me a better wife. I work really hard to make things work--divorce isn't a magic solution. You are still stuck with that person once you divorce them (if you have a child). Even though my Dad was mostly out of the picture, his lack of support and not showing up was a constant issue in our life. I am lucky to have married someone who is respectful and loving to me and our child. But I waited til I was 35 because I was so unsure of the whole institution.

If I were in an abusive relationship or dealing with someone whose behavior was a danger to me or my child I would still get a divorce in an instant though.

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Just because it bares repeating.

Instablility is one thing I never felt in regards to my homes.
I never did either. My sister and I were very young, and my parents NEVER fought in front of us. General unhappiness was the biggest part of their divorce. I don't know that there were truly ever "fights" between them. Their ideals were just so different. They did very well with not exposing my sister and me to their issues. It was and is obvious that we were the most important thing to both of them, and they made sure we were aware of that.

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
I never said it is. All I mean by that is that it's possible to have two stable homes, one with each parent. Just because the parents are divorced it doesn't mean the children are ever faced with instability.
But they are. The change in family structure alone, even if it is without much conflict, negatively affects kids, especially young kids. We adults may say, "two happy homes are better than one anger-filled home," but for a child

- a child learning boundaries and security and attachment, a child learning independence step by step from a home base of security, a child who needs regular meals and sleep and some routines and sureness, that is, EVERY child no matter how "adaptable" -

that very change is traumatic (whether the child then shows it or not). Isn't this common sense, thinking over WHY we all strive to practice ATTACHMENT parenting?

Now, whether a child's trauma of undergoing her parent's divorce is less than trauma of being abused in a home [I have no comment on whether JSMA's child is being abused], or whether a child's possible trauma should always trump an adult's trauma in staying unhappily married, that I can't say.

#57 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
But they are. The change in family structure alone, even if it is without much conflict, negatively affects kids, especially young kids. We adults may say, "two happy homes better than one anger-filled home," but for a child

- a child learning boundaries and security and attachment, a child learning independence step by step from a home base of security, a child who needs regular meals and sleep, that is, EVERY child no matter how "adaptable" -

that very change is traumatic. Isn't this common sense, thinking over WHY we all strive to practice ATTACHMENT parenting?

Now, whether a child's trauma of undergoing her parent's divorce is less than trauma of being abused in a home [I have no comment on whether JSMA's child is being abused], or whether a child's possible trauma should always trump an adult's trauma in staying unhappily married, that I can't say.
All I did was post what the OP wanted to know. I grew up with two homes and never have regretted my parents' divorce. I pretty much had the ideal childhood. If people think by having a stable home with both a mommy and daddy is going to give their children a live free of any trauma or feelings of instability, they're wrong. I don't advocate divorce. It would take something very extreme for me to personally get a divorce. I think it can be done gently and with very little (if any) trauma to a child if it needs to happen, though.

#58 ·
Quote:

But they are. The change in family structure alone, even if it is without much conflict, negatively affects kids, especially young kids. We adults may say, "two happy homes are better than one anger-filled home," but for a child

- a child learning boundaries and security and attachment, a child learning independence step by step from a home base of security, a child who needs regular meals and sleep and some routines and sureness, that is, EVERY child no matter how "adaptable" -

that very change is traumatic (whether the child then shows it or not). Isn't this common sense, thinking over WHY we all strive to practice ATTACHMENT parenting?

You have just made and excellent argument against:

Single parents marrying
Moving
Having another child
Changing schools
Death in the family
Chronic illness in the family
Changing place of worship
Parent going back to work
Parent becoming a SAHP
And I'm sure many other changes that happen in a childs life too.

Reactions: GoBecGo
#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
I never did either. My sister and I were very young, and my parents NEVER fought in front of us. General unhappiness was the biggest part of their divorce. I don't know that there were truly ever "fights" between them. Their ideals were just so different. They did very well with not exposing my sister and me to their issues. It was and is obvious that we were the most important thing to both of them, and they made sure we were aware of that.

Well, what they call a "good divorce" can happen. My parent's didn't have one though! Bad marriage, bad divorce.

My best friend and I both went through our parents divorces at roughly the same time and our biggest lament (still when we are 40) is that the whole thing just really rocked our sense of security. Even though we both knew our parent's marriages were absolute crap--and even though for both of us, day to day life was much less stressful--we were both left with that feeling that after our families dissolved anything could happen. Money issues and moving houses and new step-parents--there's a lot of change that comes along with divorces.

We all have different experiences, and I think a good divorce is entirely possible. I would strive for that if things ever go bust-up with DH, but it takes two.

I'm not against divorce if you can't work things out, but I also can't argue that the kids get out unscathed.

But I'd say the problem starts with the failing marriage--and that it's just as damaging to live in a house with two people who hate each other as it is to go through your family divorcing. Different, but just as terrible.

#60 ·
Quote:

Single parents marrying
Moving
Having another child
Changing schools
Death in the family
Parent becoming a SAHP
No, the studies show that parental divorce and remarriage are uniquely traumatic to kids, while the other changes you mention are short-term and can even teach adapability.

#61 ·
Quote:

Single parents marrying
Moving
Having another child
Changing schools
Death in the family
Parent becoming a SAHP

#62 ·
Quote:

No, the studies show that parental divorce and remarriage are uniquely traumatic to kids, while the other changes you mention are short-term and can even teach adapability.
Do you happen to have any citations for those studies? I would truly like to read them...<void of any snarkism>

#63 ·
Quote:

I can make out 9 things on that list of... 9 things that are perminent changes.

Last I checked we aren't capable of reviving the dead yet.

#64 ·
Quote:

hmmm... I would think that divorce can also teach adapability, and the 'other changes' don't seem all that temporary (i.e. death in the family..).

And, for the record, I was soooooo *not* traumatized when my parents divorced.. (though I was by them staying together)

#66 ·
My parents divorced when I was around 2 and my brother around 4.
My parents still get along to this day, have only had a hand full of major disagreements since they divorced (and usually kept them away from my brother and I).
Both of my parents remained in our lives after the divorce.

I am soooooooooooo glad they made that decision and didn't wait too long and drag out the misery they both must have been in while married. I like my parents much better apart than together! I think their divorce probably helped them maintain a friendly relationship down the road.

Here is how it worked for us. My mom was clearly better at keeping us healthy, fed proper, clean, and provided us living stability. While my mom earned a much smaller wage she owned her home (same property they lived on while married but different house) and tracked her money much better. My mom had a more even temperment and was easier to talk to about emotional issues and troubles. So 5 days a week my brother and I lived with my mom.

On weekends (up until middle school when we decided for ourselves how to spend our time) my dad would come pick us up and we'd go to his house (several different places over my childhood) until sunday evening when he would bring us home. My dad was great for all the fun stuff. He'd buy us fun stuff, we'd eat junk all day, play like kids should, run around and explore, and he'd do much of it along with us. My dad was always active (despite being an older dad) and while he is a crazy workaholic he always made time to play with us. Taking us on trips in the summer, going to parks, going out to eat (he prefered hitting a mom and pops resturant over cooking), and buying us random, totally unnessesary stuff that we didn't need but sure had fun with. While it's important that both parents play a balanced role I do think we still came out with a fairly well rounded childhood.

It was absolutly key that my parents did whatever they could to remain on a friendly basis. They were definatly not interested in being together or being buddies but, if one had a problem they could still go to the other. When one had trouble the other helped out happily. Even now that my brother and I are grown that has not changed. They still annoy one another from time to time but, understand each others good qualities too. On major holidays my mom always cooks a meal and my dad is always invited. There was a particular dinner in the last 3 years when my brother ended up going to his wife family's house and I ended up going to dh's mom's house but, my mom still made a dinner and her and my dad had it together at my mom's house. My dad even showed up early like usual and fixed some things around my mom's house then stayed awhile after dinner to settle his overstuffed belly and chat.

My mom's house was always home base. Both of my parents understood that and knew it was best. They didn't try to split time and activities perfectly even just for the sake of being even because they knew that wouldn't be the best experience for my brother and I. My mom didn't take us on any trips or extensive outtings because she didn't have the money to but, she wasn't offended at my dad taking us on week long motorhome trips across the state during the summer. When we had problems with friends or in school or were sick we ran straight to my mom but, my dad didn't get his feeling hurt over it. They seemed to understand what one another's best territory was and readily allowed us to regulate our own lives between the two of them.

If my parents had stayed married I probably would have been miserable as child and an adult who was very confused about what a marriage is supposed to be. I'm all for people trying to work things out but, when two people should never have married in the first place it would seem best to find a better way to live when damage control clearly isn't working. Of course I'm glad my parents were married... or I wouldn't be here! But, I'm also fortunate that they divorced when they did. I had a great childhood with few major issues. None of the problems I went through were created or made worse by divorce. Not once did I resent their decision or wish they were together.

Neither remarried and if they dated at any point they did an extremely good job of keeping it away from my brother and I. I didn't know a single thing of it. Things probably would have been much more complicated for my brother and I if they did go on to persue any serious relationships. There may have been some hurt feelings with extra mother or father figures in the picture. MAY have been.. I know some parents make that work well.

#67 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
Do you happen to have any citations for those studies? I would truly like to read them...<void of any snarkism>

I need to read them one of these days, too. I've heard them cited many times, but I don't know how many factors are considered and how many aren't, yk? I, personally, would never have divorced my son's father if there'd been any way to make it work, and if he weren't stealing money from our household (directly from my purse a few times) for drugs, etc. The situation was absolutely impossible, and, on those occasions when he had ds1 alone (while I was at work, for example), the level of negligence was absolutely abusive. If kids from backgrounds like that are showing up in studies in a higher proportion of divorced families than non-divorced families, I'm not sure it says a lot about the impact of divorce, yk? People in that kind of situation aren't too likely to stick around forever trying to make it work.

#68 ·
Quote:

I happen to know someone who moved from one state to another during middle school. That person is in his 30s, and still looks back on that move with negative feelings, because it changed so many parts of his life for the worse. I, at 41, still remember how much I hated starting a new school at the beginning of 4th grade...and how much starting high school mucked up my life. So...yeah...

#69 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
It was absolutly key that my parents did whatever they could to remain on a friendly basis. They were definatly not interested in being together or being buddies but, if one had a problem they could still go to the other.
I think you are absolutely right. I think the reason my parents divorce was not traumatic for me was because they agreed to continue to be parents, even if they weren't husband and wife - any major decisions were agreed upon, both stayed in the same town, and they above all were civil to each other.

#70 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seasons

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post

Here's one released last month: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/familystability.htm

"Our results suggest that the key for many children is growing up in a stable household, where they don't go through divorce or other changes in the family - whether that is in a single-parent home or a married home."

Also,

"Based on this study, we can't say for sure that marriage will be a good thing for the children of single mothers - particularly if that marriage is unhealthy and does not last."

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I guess I always wonder in these conversations, why not wish they had gotten their acts together and made a happy marriage together? I am not being snarky. I hear that alot, "I wish my parents ahd split up, rather than fighting for 20 years (or whatever)" why not wish they had just grown up and gotten along?
when people say they wish their parents had split up earlier, it's probably because things got better once it happened so they're wishing that things had gotten better sooner. When someone's in an unhappy home for 20 years (or whatever), I'm sure they're wishing all along that their parents would be able to get along, but a childhood is a long time and if they can't make it work then, maybe they feel it's unrealistic to keep wishing that they could work it out. Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but I'm sure as much as we all want everyone to get along, some people may just not want to keep trying to fit their family in a mold that's just not working for them..

#72 ·
Quote:

Here's one released last month: http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/familystability.htm

"Our results suggest that the key for many children is growing up in a stable household, where they don't go through divorce or other changes in the family - whether that is in a single-parent home or a married home."

Also,

"Based on this study, we can't say for sure that marriage will be a good thing for the children of single mothers - particularly if that marriage is unhealthy and does not last."
That's interesting. I may try to find the whole study. There are still a million things unaccounted for, of course. I also think these measures are far too narrow.

I had not-great marks in high school (everything from A+ in subjects I liked, to Fs in subjects that I didn't...or where the teacher was boring). I definitely had behavioural issues (pot use, drinking, fighting, mouthing off staff, etc.). According to that study's criteria, my home life was stable - but it wasn't. According to that study's criteria, ds1's home life isn't/wasn't stable (as I've divorced and remarried), but he has no behavioural issues (unless we're counting a pronounced desire to stay on the couch and sleep all summer), and gets very good marks and is involved in extracurriculars (something I wouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole), etc. That's a very small study size - two people! - but I've always found these studies so contrary to what I see around me that it's hard to take them seriously.

I also think "single by choice" vs. "single as a result of divorce" can be pretty restrictive. What about a couple that splits up when the child is an infant vs. a couple who splits up when she gets pregnant? In one case, it could be said that she's single by choice, but there's really not much practical difference for the child.

I find myself a little suspicious of studies about most societal issues, including this one. There are just soooo many factors involved that I have my doubts about how effectively they can isolate what they're looking at.

#73 ·
My parents were divorced when I was like 3.
I never had wild fantasies about them getting back together, either.
They got along really well and never talked trash about eachother, I never heard them fighting or anything.
The part I didn't like was my step father. He was kind of a jerk (like trying to act like my dad when IMO he should have butted out). They're still married and we get along much better now- because I live in MA and they're in FL LMAO

#74 ·
Skimmed most of the replies...agree with some of what has been said. From my experience with parents who divorced when I was eight years old, yes the divorce was traumatic, but we adapted (three siblings + me) but just as we were getting adjusted both parents re-married extreme opposites. Our living situation was every other year, every other weekend, every other holiday (all in the same town-to provide stability
) What was even harder was to see my parents put all this effort into second marriages with people we had horrible clashes with because they couldn't bear another divorce. Well that is the simple, condensed version. I would say based on my experiences and those of many friends, yes divorce is traumatic, but you can recover, it is the dynamics of future partners and remarriages which really impacts and can give the lingering issues which is always then attributed to the divorce. (note the possibility, not inevitability of a negative outcome) I would say the most important constant for children is to feel loved and important and with that they are pretty resilient.

#75 ·
Since I was effectively "called out" on page 1 I thought I'd come back and answer why I'd said I wished they'd have gotten their act together and split up sooner (rather than getting their act together and stay together).

I wish my dad would've gotten his act together and gotten into recovery sooner. Being sober did make a positive impact on the amount of time he wanted to spend with his kids, for example.

I wish my mom would've gotten her act together and seen that recovery wasn't the answer for a narcissistic personality, that even sober my dad still was unkind and downright creepy.

I wish that my mom didn't have to go through years of futility and cruelty. I wish I hadn't seen any of it.

I won't say any more than that, I've already aired enough of my parents' dirty laundry online.

For those who commented that their parents were grownups and managed to stay together, that's totally awesome for them and for you. You do realize that you had nothing to do with that, right?

#76 ·
my parents divorced when i was in 3rd or 4th grade. it was very very traumatic for me. i actually don't remember much before the divorce, but have lots of (mostly bad) memories after.

the hardest part was the custody arrangement. they both wanted us so they decided we'd go back and forth weekly. they only lived a couple of miles apart so this worked out great. except i HATED it. hated every single second of it. i would call my mom crying, begging her to not make us stay with him, but she wouldn't. he was not abusive but he was just miserable, and miserable to be around, and very very grouchy. and i did not feel loved or safe at all with him. my mom, on the other hand, i loved. i still don't know why she made us stay with him.

do i regret their divorce? i don't know. for a long long time, i did, intensely. i pretty much hated my childhood, but i think it was my dad more than the divorce. if they'd divorced, but i'd lived with my mom only (or a lot more than 50%) i think it would have been much better.

i really have no idea how my mother ever thought she loved my father. they are so totally different. i guess there is a big part of me that has always felt like she chose him and chose to have children with him, so she owed it to us to stay with him. now that i am older though, i can see how miserable it would have been to stay with him, and that it probably wouldn't have been great for any of us if she had.

i think there is more i wanted to say, but my 2yo is screaming for me, so i'll have to end here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.