Skulls on children's clothing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts?

Cute or Horrible?

I'm just curious, because of a comment I read on FB. There was a link to Gymboree's upcoming lines, and for the boys it includes skulls.

I commented, "Love the skull and cross-bone shoes" b/c I thought they were cute and will be definitely getting my boys each a pair (b/c I know they will like them, not just b/c I like them )

One person said, "We do not do skulls on our children's clothing".

Just wondering if I am a weirdo for not only allowing skulls, but thinking they are cute

My DD, age 8, has this jansport backpack she takes to school every day which happens to have skulls and hearts on it. It never occurred to me that it was inappropriate for a child.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#2 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my kids love the whole skull and crossbone pirate-y thing. Especially the middle one who has been obsessed since she was three (before pirates of the carabean came out, before it was cool). I can understand why some people object, just as I understand why people object to cartoon characters. neither bother me.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

I don't really think they're cute, but they don't bother me. I certainly wouldn't call them horrible. DS1 got a cap with some skulls on it when he was about 7 or 8. It didn't bother me.

Of course, I wore a vest with a skull on it for about 10 years, myself.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

We don't have a problem with it. I can see more conservative parents in our area not allowing them, though.
#5 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kids love pirates. No problem here.
#6 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Love them, but as an aging still-sorta-goth, that's where my tastes are.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#7 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM

DD1 has a dress that is pink with white Jolly Rogers all over it. I love it and so does she. It's packed away for DD2 now.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#8 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Obviously you're not too weird, since they're pretty clearly meant to be the latest fashion. My neighbor sends her six-year-old to school in skull shirts and shoes. Of course, this is the same woman who's still mad because they told her son what a graveyard was for in Bible school. Everyone has different associations and opinions. To me, it's just another decorative motif, to someone else it might have associations with punks or drugs or who knows what.
#9 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and I totally respect that some parents don't want their kids wearing certain things (cartoon characters is a great example) I was just wondering if others were going to look down at my sweet little boys with skull shoes and think they were hoodlums or something

#10 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM

I like children's clothes to look child-like and that doesn't include skulls IMO. I wouldn't judge someone for dressing their kid in skull/pirate stuff though--I can see why you would think it's cute!
#11 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 PM

We don't do skulls on my DD's clothes but she is only 2 and honestly has no real clue about pirates or anything of the sort. I don't know though...I'm not a fan of all the skull and crossbone stuff out there.

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
#12 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM

What would the problem be?

it's a skull- we all have a skull..

IMO, Not allowing it is like forbidding a shirt with a brain or eyeball drawing on it..

mischievous.gif
#13 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 PM

hmm...wasn't thinking about skulls and crossbone. DS2 had a pair of rainboots with a pirate theme. They had a skull and crossbone design on them. He's outgrown them, though.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
crl

Neither. I don't think they are cute. But I don't care if other people want to dress their kids in clothes with skulls. If DS asked for something with skulls on it, I might get it for him. It's just not my taste. (I don't wear stuff with skull either so it's not just kids clothes for me.)

Catherine
#15 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Love the skulls here. Kiddo does, too.

We don't love footballs. Some people do. We don't care for flags, either. Some folks do, especially in July. I don't really even think about what other folks put on their kids, unless it's truly offensive or disturbing.

Skullies? Awesome.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#16 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
What would the problem be?

it's a skull- we all have a skull..

IMO, Not allowing it is like forbidding a shirt with a brain or eyeball drawing on it..

It's not the skull, I would be fine with just a skull or bones, a skeleton outfit on halloween etc. It's the pirate imagery I don't like, pirate history is not really very nice. My kids are only 1 and 3 though so I have a lot of control over what they wear. I may be singing a different tune in 5 years!
#17 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

The shoes I thought were cute.

Another part of the new line that has a skull shirt here.

Per the dress code at my older two kids' school, the shirt would not be allowed but I think the shoes would be okay.

eta: the links aren't really working right b/c it's flash, so if anyone is interested - you have to click back or forward a page or two. I tried the shoes I like have several tiny skulls on them.

#18 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 PM

We have tons of skull/creepy/spooky clothing for DD (and us too), but that might be normal for formerly punky/gothy people who like pirates and wait all year for Halloween.

I actually buy DD a lot of stuff during the Halloween clearance sales to wear throughout the rest of the year, because it's easier to find black and cute but not frilly girl's clothing. I'm glad that it's becoming easier to find.

Anyone who would think a little kid in skull shoes is a hoodlum isn't thinking very hard. It isn't like he went out and bought them himself!

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#19 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

I don't particularly care for them and I do get a bit irritated that so much stuff lately has skulls of one kind or another on it. It's just not something that appeals to me and neither one of my boys takes enough interest in their clothes at this point to care one way or another. So since I don't care for them and they don't ask for them I'd rather not buy them but it can be a bit hard at times finding something that fits that doesn't have a skull on it if that makes any sense. If they suddenly start taking an interest in what's on their clothes and ask for something with skulls on it then they'd more than likely get it. Assuming it doesn't cost and arm and a leg of course, LOL. Doesn't bother me if someone else wants to dress their kiddo in it though.
#20 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't particularly like skulls on clothing for anybody, of any age. I won't wear them, and I wouldn't pick it out for my kids.

However, I wouldn't stop any of my kids from wearing things that are "not my taste" once they're old enough to pick out their own clothes. I just don't think clothing is worth fighting about, especially not something like a cartoony skull design on otherwise appropriate clothing styles. I save my "gentle persuasion" about clothing on modesty (appropriate parts of the body being covered), not on fabric designs.

I certainly wouldn't think twice if I saw a young child wearing skull design clothing. It's just clothing- not my own personal taste, but nothing to make a big deal about either.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#21 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM

The first piece of clothing DH bought for DD before she was born was a skull and crossbones argyle t-shirt. Cutest thing evah!!!
#22 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM

we love skulls here!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#23 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
it can be a bit hard at times finding something that fits that doesn't have a skull on it if that makes any sense.
Really? Around here, I find that this kind of thing is more of a rarity than the norm. I am purposefully looking for it too. I find it much more common to find sports, Disney characters, military and television-themed clothing than anything else. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#24 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Don't like 'em, but don't care if anyone else wears 'em.

I don't 'do' dark imagery for my kids...no skulls (in the pirate format), no bloody anything, no weapons, no vampires, etc. At Halloween, we do neutral costumes and decorate to celebrate fall rather than ghouls and gore.

I do a lot of energy work and to me, this imagery's really low vibration and basically the LAST thing I want on them. I personally prefer to dress them in brighter colours with more life-affirming stuff.

Just me. I'm wierd that way
#25 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Skulls rock. Dd2 used to have a pair of babylegs with a skull & crossbones print on them.
#26 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 PM

I could care less if other people wear them. As for my own kids, I like them as 'accent' pieces, not so much on main pieces of clothes. Like, on a pair of huggalugs, or a shoe, or a bow or a bracelet, if that makes sense. Actually, I like them a lot better on kids than I do on adults - although again, I have a lot more things to worry about than skulls and crossbones. I find imagery of guns, violent goo dripping zombies and gross garbage pail kids a lot more distracting and bothersome than skeletons.

, , , and
#27 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM

DD has some skull and crossbones onesies...we called them the Evil Knievel outfit.

Dad to DD 9/2008
#28 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really like some graphic designs that are out right now. I do think the skull and cross-bones are going to be over saturated this season and will not be as "cool" as they were last season. I personally would not want to purchase something for my daughters with a skull and cross-bones on it- mostly because we live in a very religious area and I think people can see that as morbid.

In many cultures people wear/display skulls as a sign of remembrance- in Mexico there are huge festivals where people wear skull like mask to honor their dead family members and friends.

I personally have a skull in my living room that is a ceramic one that I painted- my great grandma had one in her kitchen and I always loved it so when I saw one I grabbed it and painted it and now it is like a part of her is still in my world.

I did try to go buy my husband some just inexpensive tees and all I could find were stuff with skulls- so I had to pass.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#29 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
The shoes I thought were cute.

Another part of the new line that has a skull shirt here.

Per the dress code at my older two kids' school, the shirt would not be allowed but I think the shoes would be okay.

eta: the links aren't really working right b/c it's flash, so if anyone is interested - you have to click back or forward a page or two. I tried the shoes I like have several tiny skulls on them.
I think the shoes you meant were on page 22-23. If so, they're pretty cute. I probably wouldn't buy them, but I wouldn't have a problem with my kids wearing them.

#30 of 161 Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't particularly like skulls on clothing for anybody, of any age. I won't wear them, and I wouldn't pick it out for my kids.

However, I wouldn't stop any of my kids from wearing things that are "not my taste" once they're old enough to pick out their own clothes. I just don't think clothing is worth fighting about, especially not something like a cartoony skull design on otherwise appropriate clothing styles. I save my "gentle persuasion" about clothing on modesty (appropriate parts of the body being covered), not on fabric designs.

I certainly wouldn't think twice if I saw a young child wearing skull design clothing. It's just clothing- not my own personal taste, but nothing to make a big deal about either.

DH wears shirts with skulls on them. I don't care for it, but I don't wear it. And I wouldn't be that picky when it comes to my kids clothing either, when they get to an age where they can pick out their own clothes. I wouldn't choose clothes with skulls on them for my kids. I don't know what I would do with clothing with skulls that was a gift.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page