Throwing candy away - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 275 Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
I actually had to laugh about the baby wipes to wash themselves comment. I was deployed, we had tons of water bottles that we used for drinking and basic higene (excuse the spelling I have a migrane). I use to brush my teeth and floss at least 2-4 times a day since during sandstorms Id get sand in my teeth (anyone here ever tried to talk in a sand storm? Its not easy). When there was no showers we bathed with baby wipes but still brushed our teeth. I think most of us kept our teeth cleaner than anything else we had.
Ok good I was really a bit worried about causing mouth pain in our troops.

Carma
#272 of 275 Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM

I always struggle with these kinds of threads. On the one hand I can understand the need to commiserate or find community with others who are more like-minded. I get the need to vent and the fact that it may keep you from saying something you might otherwise regret IRL. The other side of that coin though is that it can excuse a person from doing something about it.

This thread has gone on for *14 pages* (I probably only made it through three) where people have gone back and forth about how right or how wrong it is for someone to throw candy away. About the only concrete suggestion has been that those who throw the candy away shouldn't let their children go TOT. Part of me wonders why no one has put part of the responsibility back on those who take issue with it.

If you feel strongly that throwing candy away is wrong or wasteful then why don't you do something about it locally? Maybe people in your community don't know who would accept it. Maybe they've tried before and have been turned down. Maybe they didn't even know it was a possibility.

If you know of a place that will accept it (and if you don't why not find a place that will) then volunteer to start a collection. Find a business, library, school, etc that will let you put up a bin. Advertise it in your paper or get them to write an article about it. Get a local TV station/radio station to do a piece on it. Hang up signs, etc. Enable others to make better choices - let them show their children a good solution to the issue you see at hand. Pick up the bins and deliver them to the organization. I think it's a much more powerful lesson to our children...you can show them that anyone can make a difference in the world around them no matter how small it may seem (or the person doing it may seem for that matter).

If all you do is complain about it then imo it comes off more as judgment (and adds to the whole "mommy wars" thing) - you become part of the problem instead of the solution. I don't think that's all that much better than any waste you feel takes place when families just throw the candy away.

When I give a *gift* of any kind I don't feel that I have the right to dictate how it will be used or whether or not it will be kept. IMO if one feels that way one shouldn't be giving the gift (or handing out candy on Halloween - turn your light off or choose not to be home). As for our family, we don't let the kids keep everything they get TOT - they go because it's fun and because my parents get a kick out of doing it with them. They don't get a whole lot, but they will leave the vast majority of it out for the Sugar Sprite in exchange for a small gift. We don't throw that candy away (dh takes it to work) b/c I would feel badly about wasting it. However, I don't feel motivated to do anything about someone else's waste. Since I'm not willing to do anything about it then I don't think I have the right to complain about it or be offended by another family's choice of dealing with it.

Just my .02 though.
#273 of 275 Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Throwing stuff away is bad. Eating too much sugar is bad. Old candy is bad. Giving candy away is perpetuating bad eating habits in other people. Not taking your kids trick-or-treating is bad. Taking them door-to-door but not accepting candy is bad. Having a party but limiting candy is bad. There's really no way to win.

BTW, we do a combo of most of the above. You know, to spread out the 'bad'

Life is all about balance. Sometimes we have to make choices where there really isn't a good answer.

And then we do a combo of the above because it's so much fun!!!
#274 of 275 Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_olive View Post
Man, now I'm gonna be all grumpy at Halloween wondering which parents are the "tossers".
I left this thread back on page 7 and just came back to catch up and am so glad I did if only for this little gem.

coolshine.gif

#275 of 275 Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM

We limit DS' cany intake to a few pieces a day. Looks like this year will have to do the same thing with DD! I don't throw candy away ever. I do indulge myself, same with DH. It doesn't last for long at our house Looking forward to lots of reese's peanut butter cups

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page