Throwing candy away - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why throw out stuff rather than donating it?

That's the part that's really bothering me. Someone who has nothing might appreciate a treat too.
#62 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Well, one could argue that it's wasteful in the production, etc...not to mention people's buudgets. I think you're better off not taking it.
you probably are. But the way Halloween is marketed it is pretty hard to deny a child the ToTing experience unless you are very strongly driven by principles. I don't think this thread is about those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
I think it's horrible to throw out the candy. I think it teaches children a very bad message about it being OK to be greedy and then just discard.
well the flip side to that is the "eat everything on your plate" message. And I don't like that that message at all. I struggled with that for a bit, but in the end I decided that i would rather throw away what DD doesn't want than eat it myself (feed here not junk).

nothing more to say I guess :
#63 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I don't understand throwing it in the garbage. I imagine most people know someone who would enjoy having it. I've heard of some people letting their children eat as much as they want on Halloween night and then having them put the rest out to be swapped in the night for a little non-candy gift. Tooth-fairy style. But I don't think they threw the leftovers in the trash can, I assumed they gave it away to someone.

We just eat the candy over here. We pretty much love candy, especially me
If your children were given poison trick or treating would you let them eat it? In terms of nutrition candy is not much better than poison. Yes it is hard to explain this to a child, even harder to tell a child "no trick or treating because candy is bad." Best path of moderation is to let them go out, have fun, eat some of the candy and then throw away (hopefully) most of it. Knowing what I know about nutrition, you couldn't pay me to eat candy. It would be like eating soup someone had spat in-- worse, actually.
#64 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:

That's the part that's really bothering me. Someone who has nothing might appreciate a treat too.
If someone gave you a pack of cigarettes would you throw them away or donate them? Candy is not much better than cigarettes. You're doing the world a favor by throwing it away. Sugar, HFCS, artificial flavors/ coloring, hydrogenated fats, preservatives, an often sticky consistency which is horrible for teeth and gums.
#65 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Didn't read all the way through but of course we throw away candy!

I find it much harder to believe that people let their kids eat that much candy then to understand why mom's throw it away.

Nobody needs to eat candy.

I wouldn't dream of throwing away fruit, or veggies, or beans, or water, or cereal, etc etc etc......if we have something we can't use we donate it or share with friends/family.

But I can't see how chemical filled sugar treats would benefit anyone else so much that it's a shame to throw it away.

My DD is 4. She loves to trick or treat, she loves parties, she loves parades. We get candy, we eat a bit for a day or two and then it goes into the cupboard. After a couple months I realize it's still there and it gets tossed.

I'm not going to stop taking my child to parades or parties, or tell her she can't trick or treat. If someone is offended perhaps they could hand out pretzels, or popcorn, or raisins, or crayons or something.
#66 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM

We keep it and slowly dish it out until its gone. So slowly that I'm about to throw away what's left from last year.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#67 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

i agree. someone at the beginning of the thread said it was too much trouble to donate it. that broke my heart. as a kid i never got candy because we were too poor. one fun sized bar would have mede my day. someone brought us groceries once and can still remember exactly what fun cereal was in that bag. junk yes. some yummy, fun and like the other kids though. I am so glad someone took the time to donate that! it filled more than my tummy our soup kitchen asks people to bring in their mcdonalds toys and they put them in gift packs for little kids. how awesome to have a little peice of chocolate and a peice of gum in those bags. no it is not nutritious but it the stomach isn't the only thing that needs care when you have nothing. no amount is too small. our church has a shelf. perhaos we will even trick or treat extra this year so we have enough to donate so each person can have a peice or two in their lunch (the soup kitchen also sends a sack lunch with each person). its not a lot. 40 peices is all it takes to offer one to everyone.

and if you don't want your kids to have all the candy but still want to trick or treat why not redistribute along your walk? do you feel virtuous not giving it to others, getting it off the street? or go to the sort of party where you can just leave it there. there are plenty of ways to have fun on halloween besides asking for something you know you will throw away.

don't get me wrong, if it is bad candy (stale, nasty, hard etc) of course you are going to throw it away. i am talking about throwing away perfectly good anything someone else would like.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#68 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
i agree. someone at the beginning of the thread said it was too much trouble to donate it. that broke my heart. as a kid i never got candy because we were too poor. one fun sized bar would have mede my day. someone brought us groceries once and can still remember exactly what fun cereal was in that bag. junk yes. some yummy, fun and like the other kids though. I am so glad someone took the time to donate that! it filled more than my tummy our soup kitchen asks people to bring in their mcdonalds toys and they put them in gift packs for little kids. how awesome to have a little peice of chocolate and a peice of gum in those bags. no it is not nutritious but it the stomach isn't the only thing that needs care when you have nothing. no amount is too small. our church has a shelf. perhaos we will even trick or treat extra this year so we have enough to donate so each person can have a peice or two in their lunch (the soup kitchen also sends a sack lunch with each person). its not a lot. 40 peices is all it takes to offer one to everyone.

and if you don't want your kids to have all the candy but still want to trick or treat why not redistribute along your walk? do you feel virtuous not giving it to others, getting it off the street? or go to the sort of party where you can just leave it there. there are plenty of ways to have fun on halloween besides asking for something you know you will throw away.

don't get me wrong, if it is bad candy (stale, nasty, hard etc) of course you are going to throw it away. i am talking about throwing away perfectly good anything someone else would like.
I almost commented on the 'having no time to take it to a shelter' but I didn't. That made me really sad.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#69 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
If your children were given poison trick or treating would you let them eat it? In terms of nutrition candy is not much better than poison. Yes it is hard to explain this to a child, even harder to tell a child "no trick or treating because candy is bad." Best path of moderation is to let them go out, have fun, eat some of the candy and then throw away (hopefully) most of it. Knowing what I know about nutrition, you couldn't pay me to eat candy. It would be like eating soup someone had spat in-- worse, actually.
I guess I don't understand why this was directed at my post. All I said was that I know some families that let the kids trade in their Halloween candy for a non-candy treat. (And that I assumed the candy was passed on to other people and not dumped in the trash.) I think that is a nice idea if you want your children to have the fun of trick or treating but you don't want them to eat the candy.

And no I wouldn't let my children eat poison. To our family candy is not poison and so we do eat all or most of the candy.

ETA: Oh, probably because I said I don't understand throwing it in the trash. I guess if new, wrapped candy to you is worse than soup that's been spat in, then the garbage can is the place for it. I didn't mean to sound judgemental toward trashing it. We just have different points of view on candy. What makes sense to one family doesn't work for someone else.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#70 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Here's how we handle Hallowe'en in our house (so far!). I don't hand out candy because I don't like candy....we always manage to find tattoos that even the bored-and-jaded preteen set have deemed 'cool'. We take our kids trick-or-treating and they sometimes say 'no thanks' to the candy, but thanks for the hospitality. They usually end up with quite a bit of candy at the end of the evening, though.

The past few years, the Great Pumpkin has visited our house on Hallowe'en night. We help the boys read food labels on their 'stuff' and allow one or two special peices, but the rest gets left out for the Great Pumpkin, who then leaves a new game or toy in thanks. Candy went to DH's work, or last year a friend gathered it from many families and sent it to the troops in Iraq.

Now that my oldest is 5, I think that he's capable of understanding more about nutrition, waste and charity. This year, we'll do fund-raising for Unicef, plus accept candy if uit's offered. We'll still do the Great Pumpkin thing, but now I have a few options for my oldest to help the Great Pumpkin decide where to donate the candy:

1) Our local Boys and Girls Club would take some (some of those kids don't get to go trick-or-treating and I'm assured that one or two peices would be given to each child....not a glut that I wouldn't approve for my OWN children).
2) I met a woman at a perty a few weeks ago who works at a local homeless shelter and they'd be happy to take it. I feel that adults can make their own decisions about the foods they choose to eat.
3) Sent it to troops again. Again, adults can make their own decisions and I have the idea that a familiar and favourite candy might just make some soldier's day....might remind him or her of a child back home, for example.

While I do agree with the substance of the argument that wasting is wasting, it really is taking it a bit to the extreme to condemn throwing away some excess. As pps have said, some of the stuff you get is barely fit for human consumption and I don't feel badly putting that in the garbage. I would (and have) happily thrown out, for example, a 'fruit drink' that I bought in a hurry and later discovered had HFCS in it. I feel that tossing it would do less damage than imbibing it. Not everyone has the luxury of time that I do to find places to donate 'the haul', and tossing it is surely a better option than letting your kids eat it. But why not try do more 'tricks' than 'treats' if you know you don't want it? Teach your kids some good knock-knock jokes and let them ham it up on Hallowe'en night.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#71 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Dar

I just want to note that I think there's a big difference between going out ToTing intending to throw away most of all of the candy you get and throwing some away later because you tried it and didn't like it. The latter is fine - why force yourself to eat something you don't like - but taking a gift with the intent of throwing it away bothers me a lot.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#72 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM

I dont see why people get so worked up over candy. i let my kids have it in moderation. i eat more than moderation because i like it lol . i would never waste candy and even to prove a point. if i did well it really wouldnt matter because there are still people who are going to keep producing it and many more who will eat it soooo i think i would rather save my battles for something really meaningful and stuff my face with some chocolate its a win win situation in my house lol

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#73 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Why must people throw the candy in the trash? That is wasteful. Would it really be that hard to get it to someone who might enjoy it? Giving it away is one thing, but just tossing it in the trash seems wasteful.
#74 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I just want to note that I think there's a big difference between going out ToTing intending to throw away most of all of the candy you get and throwing some away later because you tried it and didn't like it. The latter is fine - why force yourself to eat something you don't like - but taking a gift with the intent of throwing it away bothers me a lot.
I agree, and that's what I was thinking. I don't think it's odd at all to toss out stuff with red 40, or nuts if your kid is allergic, but knowingly going out and collecting a bunch of candy with intentions of throwing away the majority of it doesn't make much sense to me.

I know much of what is given out is pretty awful (artificial flavors/colors, etc.) and I totally get how horrid sugar is for our bodies. I am big on nutrition and feed my family quite well, tyvm. But Halloween is just not an issue because it's once a year, it's not going to ruin all the good stuff I've fed them all the other days, and we simply do not get tons and tons of candy.

Really, how long are you all out trick-or-treating? Maybe it's because we have four little ones (and DH and I would not enjoy staying out for an extended period of time ourselves watching them ring doorbells) but I would say, at tops, we are out for an hour. And that includes a lot of walking, and visiting with neighbors and other TOT'ers. We hit up, maybe, 15-20 houses. That's not really that much candy - especially when some houses give out other things for treats.

I would have been super upset, I'm sure, as a kid if my mom said, "okay, now that we are back home eat X amount and then the rest is going in the trash!" wtf?! even if it's in the name of our health and well-being, it's over the top. My mom was very strict about our nutrition (ie the only soda we had was Hansen's every great once in a while) but not only did she not take trash our candy we collected, she didn't dictate when we could eat it, either. I'm sure that doesn't work for every kid, and it may depend on the age - but I would much rather leave it up to my kids as to when and how much they want to eat of it (since again, I am not talking about pillowcases of candy - don't go to that many houses, if it's too much!).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#75 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Our neighbors give out TONS of candy to the TOTers from the street. Here's what we do:

Halloween night = eat what you want. It's a once a year candy gorge I'm fine with. Once we're home, while snacking on the goodies, I have each child pick 10 pieces. Those are theirs to do with as they wish - eat all at once the next day, space them out, whatever. Their choice.

They leave the rest of the candy out for the "Halloween Witch" (at bedtime), who spirits it away while they sleep. That's in exchange for a small toy they get to pick out.

So, the deal is we make a trip to the toy store and let them choose something small. They've had their fun with candy, I get an end to them munching away forever, and they are happy with the exchange. It's been an enjoyable way for all of us to handle the candy situation.

(of course, the witch spirits the candy off to the upper-most regions of our cabinets, where mommy gets to eat her favorites when everyone's in bed)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#76 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Are we seriously saying that it is wasteful to throw out candy? How exactly is candy something that is useful?
The usefulness of the finished product is not the only measure of whether throwing it away is wasteful. The ingredients in both the candy and the packaging could have been used for something more worthwhile. Most candy packaging is plastic, which is made from our irreplaceable petroleum and will never break down in a landfill; throwing that away without even using the contents is WASTE.

EllienC wrote:
Quote:
We get a LOT of kids at our house on halloween. We plan for 10 bags of candy and Dh buys about 2 per week all through October....
I have a bigger issue with what to do with crappy strings of beads - like from Mardi Gras parades, pirate parties, pinanatas. And those crappy little toys from the doctors office. We are inundated with them.
You can give those beads and toys as Halloween treats!

We struggle somewhat with the deluge of Halloween candy: We always visit EnviroDaddy's parents, who live in a great trick-or-treating neighborhood, and then in addition to the treats EnviroKid collects, his grandma always wants to unload some of her extra candy on us! Not only do we want EnviroKid to eat candy only moderately, but EnviroDaddy and I both react badly to simple sugars so usually choose to eat other things. Typically we put away the candy and soon forget about it. This attracted mice one year (candy was in a paper bag on the floor) and weevils last year.

Here is my plan for this year: We will volunteer to bring the food for a church coffee hour in mid-November. We will chop up all remaining chocolatey candy and mix it into a batch of low-sugar, whole-wheat, oatmeal cookies. This will leave us with only hard candies, which are good to keep around through the winter in case of sore throats.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#77 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM

We have a program at our church that helps us resolve the problem. It goes hand-in-hand with the trick or treat for UNICEF program that we also do.

We sponsor a Halloween party for kids from a local organization that helps resettle homeless families. The kids from the church bring whatever candy they can't eat or don't want (or their parents don't want them to have). Volunteer adults from the congregation "buy" the candy from them. The money goes into the kids' UNICEF boxes, and the candy gets donated for the Halloween party.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#78 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
If someone gave you a pack of cigarettes would you throw them away or donate them? Candy is not much better than cigarettes. You're doing the world a favor by throwing it away. Sugar, HFCS, artificial flavors/ coloring, hydrogenated fats, preservatives, an often sticky consistency which is horrible for teeth and gums.
TBH, if I felt that strongly about candy I wouldn't let my kids trick or treat. I'd have a candy-free Halloween party at my house.
#79 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
TBH, if I felt that strongly about candy I wouldn't let my kids trick or treat. I'd have a candy-free Halloween party at my house.
Exactly. And that's what I used to do years ago when it bothered me. I'm down with trick or treating now, to my kids' delight (and mine)!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#80 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM

As pp has said, candy is still food.... farmers produce corn to make high fructose corn syrup,...chocolate is harvested by some of the poorest people in the world... to throw away their efforts seems a little wrong to me. If we don't want our families eating them... why buy them or just limit the amount of ToT'ing. We trick or treat for a couple of blocks so we can have a treat that night and maybe the next couple of days.

I find a harder choice to be what to give kids from my house.... I really wish we could still make popcorn balls and other snacks like we did when we were kids.
#81 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Huh. I just threw out some candy yesterday! We have had a TON of birthday parties with candy-laden goodie bags lately. DD is allowed to have a piece or two a day, but it was just too much. It was junk candy that DH and I wouldn't have eaten anyway (like, Pxie Stix and gumballs). Not that I need the calories.

This was, admittedly, a handful of stuff. If I had a whole bunch of chocolate candy I didn't want to have around, yes, I'd have DH take it to his office.

I think I've thrown out Halloween candy before, too. Normally we are very anti-waste, but--it's CANDY.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#82 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
well the flip side to that is the "eat everything on your plate" message. And I don't like that that message at all. I struggled with that for a bit, but in the end I decided that i would rather throw away what DD doesn't want than eat it myself (feed here not junk).
That depends, imo, on how you handle the "eat everything on your plate" thing. I don't expect my kids to eat everything on their plates, if I dish it out. If they choose to take more food than they want, then they can finish it before taking something else.

I don't mind my kids eating the candy at Halloween. If it were a big problem for me, I wouldn't take them trick-or-treating. There are other fun things to do at Halloween.

As for donating extra candy, I'll admit I've never done that. I'll try to keep it in mind. Honestly...I have trouble with donating, in general. It's not that I object to it - far from it. It's not even that it's too much work. It's just that I have phone phobia issues, and I find it hard to find donation information online (not sure why), and sometimes even find it hard to find phone numbers. I donate gently used clothes, but they're stockpiling a little...because the drop-off bins are all disappearing. I wouldn't know where to donate candy.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#83 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 PM

I love the cookie plan. That's what happened with us last year.

We went to two Hallowe'en events - a trick-or-treat at my son's daycare and then my son went out for half an hour on our block. We ourselves gave out pencils, play-dough, and candy (we let the kids pick out two things).

I thought we would end up with a limited amount of candy. We ended up with a ton!!! Seriously I could not believe it. We couldn't work our way through it so all the chocolate stuff ended up in our Xmas baking (which we give away). I put a bag of extra candy in the food bank bin at the grocery store. But seriously I still don't know how we ended up with so much stuff like that.

I really think if people want to throw it out, it's okay with me. Yes, it's a waste - right now it's the gap between what we kind of know about consuming candy and our need to go through the cultural ritual. When I was growing up we got apples, bags of home-popped popcorn, peanuts, cookies, homemade toffee etc., that were both less packaged and also a broader range of food.

But now that's not the norm - nut allergies, fears of poisoning, etc. have changed that and I just am not sure we've really caught up.

If parents want to bridge the gap with a bit of waste well, that's ok. The packaging is already thrown out, so the waste factor is really high whether it has the food in it or not.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#84 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Really, you all think I should use a gallon or more of gas to drive to a homeless shelter to give them 10 to 20 tootsie rolls?
Yeah, this is kind of boggling my mind a little bit, too. I mean, if I had a HUGE BAG of candy, like a pound, I wouldn't toss it. But, you know, 20 little pieces? I'm supposed to be agonizing over this? (BTW, I donate and volunteer quite generously.)

How many of you order food that you can't finish in a restaurant? Do you ever throw out the rest of a soda or coffee? Have you ever accepted food at a gathering to be polite but then not finished it? I mean, not that I am advocating this American way of eating wastefully, but I'm just sort of bemused by the judgement and anger here when I think the vast majority of posters probably waste lots of food.

I think it's not so much about food as about a sense of "How dare you throw away something *I* bought???" Well, it happens. You give what you give, and you can't control what happens after it is given.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#85 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM

My azz would thank me if i tossed it, but we all love candy here, so we eat it! I don't mind if other people toss what i give them, so long as they don't call me to tell me they did (would seem really off/odd to do that). To be fair we give out nuts and fruit as well as candy at hallowe'en and i bet a LOT more of my satsuma's get tossed by kids than my cookies or shop-bought lollies etc. do!
#86 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I wouldn't know where to donate candy.
If you put it in a decent container like a little Halloween bucket or a gift bag, nothing fancy but just to make it look nice and clean, there are a lot of places you could drop it off as a little treat for people on the job. I would take it to the library, the post office, the bank, the grocer, the child care place, a real estate or insurance office, the school, the hospital, the family enrichment center, anywhere with a lot of customers or employees. Chances are someone will want it and appreciate it, or take it home to their families. A lot of businesses this time of year have a little container of candy up by the register for customers to take one. This is coming from a small town perspective by the way! It might be different in different places. Around here it wouldn't go to waste, and the places I mentioned above would recognize me and it wouldn't be like I was some stranger coming in with candy.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#87 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM

By the way, I'm imagining a regular amount of Halloween loot, like a mix of little candy bars, M&Ms, lollipops, etc. when I suggest bringing it in to working people. If it's just the "dregs" of Halloween, a few hard Mary Janes and some old black and orange peanut taffy, stale bubble gum, yeah I wouldn't bother with that. I would just toss it.

My Etsy Shop
#88 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM

I've tossed it bc it gets forgotten about and old.

We go to the neighborhood I grew up in bc old friends bring their friends to trick or treat at grandma/grandpa's.

We start on the right side of the street and hit the 8 houses or so on that side, cross the street and hit the houses on the other side of the street. Sometimes they are all home, sometimes they aren't. So we don't end up with a TON of candy. Some of it dd1 doesn't even like so I'll have a bite and that's about it.

There is a dentist on the street and she looks forward to her new toothbrush and apple (we take the apple bc we know him well)......There is an older gentleman (I'd say early 70s) who passes out little golden books.....so I spose we don't get all candy.

My friends just take it to their office after letting their kids eat a few bites on Halloween and after keeping a few pieces for treats etc.....
#89 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM

We love to go ToTing but because of allergies the kids can't keep much of it...

Our solution is to go out early, ToT for a while and then come home and quickly separate what they can and can't have and then give what they can't have out to later ToTers... no waste and as much as my kids love going door to door and getting candy and treats... they also love giving it out again along with something else I get to give out (last year was glow sticks)

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#90 of 275 Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Every single grocery store around here has a donation bin for food! Even the floofy over priced natural/organic store has one.

How hard is it to take the bag of candy you don't want, put it in the large cardboard bin, and then go do your shopping?

There's no phoning or driving or anything beyond what you normally do.

Even the dreaded evil Walmarts have them.

That way the candy could go to people while it's still pretty fresh and be enjoyed by someone who wouldn't otherwise get any.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page