Throwing candy away - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want my kids to eat too much candy. But I don't throw it out the same evening. I'll just give it as a treat later on, my DH eats it (he does not gain weight) and I try not to eat it (I do gain), and some of the candy is not good anyway and gets forgotten, that's when I throw it out.
Where we are many people give more 'wholesome candy' like single serve graham cracker pouches, raisins or plain chocolate, some even give money (nickels or dimes).
Candy is junk, but someone paid for it. From that angle it is wasteful IMO. It would be good if more people would give more 'wholesome' candy (no artificial colorings/tastes mainly).

Carma
#182 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennpn View Post
Have you looked at the nutritional information- or lack of? This IS garbage. Binging one night of the year on crap as part of the tradition is not a big deal...and then into the garbage it goes. We don't trick or treat to many houses...Up the street and back so it is not like a whole pillow case full. This year ALL the candy is going in the garbage when I swap bags for dried fruit, apple chips etc. This candy is crap-however a fun tradition- If you don't want people throwing it out and are offended about wasting your money, give out raisons, playdough or wedding bubbles. It is much more considerate to put it in the trash then in your child's body... what a way to weaken the immune system during prime illness season!
So what will you tell your kid about why people are handing out garbage?
#183 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I guess I still have a problem with seeking out something you know you don't want just to toss it. Personally, I see ToT as purely optional and families decide what they want to do. I don't see missing it as a trauma.
this is exactly the point. Don;t trickor treat. If you don't agree with how it works, skip it. But please, don't take something just to throw it in the garbage.
#184 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
this is exactly the point. Don;t trickor treat. If you don't agree with how it works, skip it. But please, don't take something just to throw it in the garbage.
But if the candy-dumpers don't trick or treat and dump then the candy will go to other children who will eat it. Won't someone please save the children from the candy by trick or treat and dumping?!
#185 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
But if the candy-dumpers don't trick or treat and dump then the candy will go to other children who will eat it. Won't someone please save the children from the candy by trick or treat and dumping?!
I know you're just kidding, and I love ToTing and all the candy that comes with it, so I'm definitely not a candy tosser, but the the supply-and-demand thing really does apply. It's like people who buy puppies from pet stores to "save" them, but all they're really doing is increasing demand and causing puppy mills to increase production. It's misplaced good intentions.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#186 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I have to say, I am really surprised that some people hate the candy aspect so much that they will willingly contribute to its purchase, only to dump it in a landfill. MDC mamas are a creative bunch, can't you come up with a different way to participate in the cultural tradition (if it's sooo important) without the take and toss? Have a oparty at your house. Or dress up other days of the year, just for fun. WE do dress up and trick or treat. But this year my kdis are going to be gone for that weekend (the older two anyhow). so no dresing up and candy blast this year. Oh well. No big deal. They will survive. They get to dress up whenever they want, and they can have treats on days other than oct 31, too
#187 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I guess I still have a problem with seeking out something you know you don't want just to toss it. Personally, I see ToT as purely optional and families decide what they want to do. I don't see missing it as a trauma.
Exactly.

I have 2 kids with food allergies, and sometimes they can't eat anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of the candy they get, but I still don't throw it in the garbage. Depending on the timing, it goes into work with DH or I, where there are generally people who are happy to devour it.

I definitely have a hard time wrapping my head around the disconnect of trying to be green by using cloth diapers, cloth wipes, unpaper towels, Kleen Kanteens and stuff like that, yet being perfectly okay with dumping several pounds of candy into the landfill. Folks, a lot of those wrappers are plastic.

You can celebrate Halloween without Trick-Or-Treating, if the whole candy concept really bothers you.
#188 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
Exactly.

I have 2 kids with food allergies, and sometimes they can't eat anywhere from 1/4-1/2 of the candy they get, but I still don't throw it in the garbage. Depending on the timing, it goes into work with DH or I, where there are generally people who are happy to devour it.

I definitely have a hard time wrapping my head around the disconnect of trying to be green by using cloth diapers, cloth wipes, unpaper towels, Kleen Kanteens and stuff like that, yet being perfectly okay with dumping several pounds of candy into the landfill. Folks, a lot of those wrappers are plastic.

You can celebrate Halloween without Trick-Or-Treating, if the whole candy concept really bothers you.

#189 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
My son isn't old enough for candy yet but when he is, we will trick or treat, and I won't be letting him eat stuff made out of HFCS and artificial colorings--his health is more important than some abstract principle against "waste" (in my opinion, you can't waste something that has no value, but whatever), and my refusal to let him eat the candy is not going to prevent him from enjoying a cherished childhood tradition.
So you're going to let him participate in the tradition, and then promptly throw all the candy away? Because there isn't likely to be a lot (if any) stuff without HFCS in there.
#190 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM

My little girl can't really tolerate candy. She gets some that night and we trade her for a small toy.
We give the rest away. I don't see how that hurts anyone. I don't care much either, I suppose. Everyone in our house is happy. DD loves to knock on doors and show off her costume. Plus, our little town goes overboard for Halloween. It's pretty fun to walk around.

:Mama to 2 :
#191 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
My little girl can't really tolerate candy. She gets some that night and we trade her for a small toy.
We give the rest away. I don't see how that hurts anyone. I don't care much either, I suppose. Everyone in our house is happy. DD loves to knock on doors and show off her costume. Plus, our little town goes overboard for Halloween. It's pretty fun to walk around.
I don't see how it does, either. But, you don't throw it away, which is what we're all talking about.

People can do what they want, obviously. I'm just having a bit of a disconnect.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#192 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I'm not sure where you get that. Plenty of people here have made suggestions such as sending it to people in military service overseas, or donating it to a shelter. That doesn't translate into "you think you're so much better than me because you don't let your kids eat candy". I certainly have no objection to people not allowing their children to have any candy - actually, I can totally understand that, even though we don't do it. I just find it really odd to deliberately take kids out to participate in a ritual that boils down to asking people for candy, just to take it home and throw it out. It seems incredibly wasteful - not just because it's thrown out, but because participating in trick-or-treating supports the production and distribution of all that candy in the first place. If I didn't get the number of trick-or-treaters that I get, I wouldn't buy as much candy. Ditto for many of the neighbours. If people didn't buy as much, the manufacturers wouldn't make as much. I just don't get the thinking here...and I do think it's very different than politely accepting an unsolicited gift and then getting rid of it (although that generally means something one doesn't want for oneself, ime, so donation comes up there, too).
Well, we plan to give out "healthy" candy (candy made from cane or raw sugar or honey) and stickers so I don't agree that you have to forego the whole tradition just because most of what is given away isn't what you'd consider edible. If people weren't so paranoid we'd happily give away caramel apples, cookies, or popcorn balls.

Trick or treating goes back a lot longer than fun-sized candy bars made from high fructose corn syrup. Just because that's what most people choose to give away these days doesn't mean there's no point in trick or treating.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#193 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
So you're going to let him participate in the tradition, and then promptly throw all the candy away? Because there isn't likely to be a lot (if any) stuff without HFCS in there.
Yes, that's the plan. It's not just about the candy--or at least, it didn't used to be. Halloween is about costumes and the excitement of being out at night and jack o'lanterns and the overall spookiness, not just concentrated fructose in plastic wrappers.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#194 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Um, wouldn't you throw the wrapper away anyway? And they are still going to MAKE the candy, and SHIP the candy, and PACKAGE the candy. So really it isn't about whether a person eats the candy or not, but about if people ToT or not.

ToT=waste. So all you candy eaters are just as guilty as the candy tossers

#195 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
Yes, that's the plan. It's not just about the candy--or at least, it didn't used to be. Halloween is about costumes and the excitement of being out at night and jack o'lanterns and the overall spookiness, not just concentrated fructose in plastic wrappers.
Halloween is about lots of things. Trick-or-treating is about treats. We don't live in a culture in which homemade treats are going to happen much - and many/most of them just get thrown away. So, it's about candy.

As to this:
Quote:
Well, we plan to give out "healthy" candy (candy made from cane or raw sugar or honey) and stickers so I don't agree that you have to forego the whole tradition just because most of what is given away isn't what you'd consider edible. If people weren't so paranoid we'd happily give away caramel apples, cookies, or popcorn balls.

Trick or treating goes back a lot longer than fun-sized candy bars made from high fructose corn syrup. Just because that's what most people choose to give away these days doesn't mean there's no point in trick or treating.
You might have a point, but we get about 100 or so trick-or-treaters. I can't afford to buy that much "healthy" candy. (And, "healthy" is funny. Raw cane sugar is way better than HFCS - but it's not "healthy".) I would if I could, but I can't...and dh and I are better off than many of our neighbours. And, I never said there was no point in trick-or-treating. We trick-or-treat. I just don't think there's any point in trick-or-treating (ie. going around knocking on people's doors, asking for treats), and then throwing the treats away.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#196 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Halloween is about lots of things. Trick-or-treating is about treats. We don't live in a culture in which homemade treats are going to happen much - and many/most of them just get thrown away. So, it's about candy.
For YOU it may be about candy, for US it is about community. I am not the poster you are quoting, but in my neighbourhood it is a community thing. A chance to get out and visit neighbours and the ones with grown children (especially the seniors) just LOVE seeing the kids in their costumes. The candy is not the point at all, though we do eat the chocolate (just not the rest). I find it kind of sad that it isn't more community oriented everywhere, but is merely a candy grab. One more reason to be grateful for my neighbourhood (even though they give out some questionable candy ). There are lots of reasons to ToT that have NOTHING to do with candy. Maybe not for your family, but for lots of other families

#197 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:34 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but I just wanted to chime in here. My dd LOVES trick or treating, and I love to go with her. We will collect whatever people are kind enough to give to us. She will have 1 or 2 pieces that night.

What I really wanted to say is that we're vegan, and try not to eat too many artificial foods, so......I was thinking of giving the candy away. I mean, someone will eat it. And I'm sorry that they will because it is junk food. But, at least it will not go in the trash. I try to limit ANYTHING that goes to the dump. Gross.

Oh, we'll keep some appropriate loot, but I doubt there will be much.

Looks like almost every MDC member has weighed in on the subject. It's obviously controversial, and food for thought. =)

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)
#198 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
To you, maybe. That's not what it's about to us, however. Every family has different values, no?

Quote:
As to this:

You might have a point, but we get about 100 or so trick-or-treaters. I can't afford to buy that much "healthy" candy. (And, "healthy" is funny. Raw cane sugar is way better than HFCS - but it's not "healthy".)
I know it's not genuinely healthy, which is why I put "healthy" in quotes the first time. I'm not a person who totally avoids sugar--but I do avoid HFCS and artificial flavorings, colorings, and preservatives. That's what I meant by "healthy".

Quote:
I would if I could, but I can't...and dh and I are better off than many of our neighbours. And, I never said there was no point in trick-or-treating. We trick-or-treat. I just don't think there's any point in trick-or-treating (ie. going around knocking on people's doors, asking for treats), and then throwing the treats away.
I sympathize with not being able to afford "healthy" (I should just call it hippie candy, or all-natural, or something--we all know it's not really healthy!) candy, since it can definitely get pricey fast (although we're lucky enough to live in an area with lots of local farmers and artisans who make simply amazing old-fashioned candies that don't cost much). But honestly, if we couldn't swing it, we would just turn off the light and not answer the door. Because--and this is not a judgment, but my own personal thing--I cannot justify giving away candy that I would not eat myself, or let DS eat. And anything made with HFCS makes that list, particularly because it has been shown to contain mercury. Besides, there are options besides all-natural candy--stickers, temporary tattoos, small change--it doesn't have to be candy at all. Treats don't have to be edible. Back in the old days a "treat" could mean anything from a slice of pie and a cup of cider to an apple to a peck on the cheek from the lady of the house. For us it's about tradition and the magic of Halloween more than anything else.

#199 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Throwing stuff away is bad. Eating too much sugar is bad. Old candy is bad. Giving candy away is perpetuating bad eating habits in other people. Not taking your kids trick-or-treating is bad. Taking them door-to-door but not accepting candy is bad. Having a party but limiting candy is bad. There's really no way to win.

BTW, we do a combo of most of the above. You know, to spread out the 'bad'

Life is all about balance. Sometimes we have to make choices where there really isn't a good answer.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#200 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM

I am actually salivating at all this discussion of chocolate (the other stuff you can keep) and popcorn balls or caramel apples. YUM!

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#201 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
I realize a lot of people's relationships with food are badly broken but mine is not.
It must be nice to feel whole in the midst of so much brokenness.
#202 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
I am actually salivating at all this discussion of chocolate (the other stuff you can keep) and popcorn balls or caramel apples. YUM!
I would do just about anything to be able to give these away (made a couple of years ago):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=de1yfa&s=4

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cs9gmp&s=4

#203 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
I think this thread has been pretty amazing. That said~
I loved the idea of sending the candy to soldiers in IRAQ, that is just perfect!

What I really don't understand is the THROWING it in the TRASH part. I mean, by all means take your kids out, yes, the people are giving out the candy and yes you are free (FREE!) to take it, but by all means, don't throw it in the friggin trash! Please, just give it to someone, even if you think candy is junk, other people LOVE it and it really is a waste, other people really would like to have it!
I totally agree with this. My dad is going to Afganistan very soon and I know he'd be THRILLED to receive candy...he LOVES it. In fact, anyone who wants to donate their leftover candy to him, PM me and i'll give you my address As much as you might hate candy or think it's wasteful or harmful etc, if there is someone else out there that wants it and would eat it, isn't it LESS wasteful to give it to them, then throw yours away and have them buy more (using more resources etc). I also love candy and if/when i get some I don't like, i pass it on to my co workers. Which also reminds me, if your child is in school, bring in some candy for their teachers Sometimes during one of those hard days a piece of candy goes a long way

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#204 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
Yes.

There are plenty of non-candy alternatives for celebrating Halloween. Many neighborhoods or communities have parties. You can throw a party with limited candy.

Your kid can go out trick-or-treating and simply not have a pillow but still have a blast with his friends.

Taking candy knowing you are going to throw it away is greedy and wasteful.
Haven't read the whole thread, but had to comment on this. Seriously? My child can not have the food dyes or we are looking at serious behavior issues, a nasty rash on his arms and a very unhappy little boy. HOWEVER, he can eat the chocolate, and enjoy the non-food items. So, would it be better that we go up to a house, say trick or treat, look at what they are handing out and say we don't want it? He can have some of it and some of it he can't. Why take the joy of the festivities away from him? How about the kid who can eat anything except stuff with nuts in it? Should they stay home too? Geez!

ETA: We only tot on our own block so we only get a limited amount of treats anyway. My dh works in a very health conscious office and they just wouldn't use it there. So, yes we do discard about 10-15 pieces each year.

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#205 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugginsmom View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but had to comment on this. Seriously? My child can not have the food dyes or we are looking at serious behavior issues, a nasty rash on his arms and a very unhappy little boy. HOWEVER, he can eat the chocolate, and enjoy the non-food items. So, would it be better that we go up to a house, say trick or treat, look at what they are handing out and say we don't want it? He can have some of it and some of it he can't. Why take the joy of the festivities away from him? How about the kid who can eat anything except stuff with nuts in it? Should they stay home too? Geez!
No. They say give it away to someone else instead of throwing it away.

But some people don't want to harm others in what they percieve as health garbage and would rather throw it away.

Others made the suggestion that if you hate candy that much don't support the supply and demand and have a party instead.

Then people said that there are people who want candy even if it will rot their teeth like homeless people, sad people, lonely people, sad kids, dying people, old people.

Then others chimed in that ToT is a cultural fun time with kids parading their costumes and they want to participate and that people should invest in other things to give out. Stickers, play-doh, raisins.

Then others said kids wouldn't like that, they want candy.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with your decision to ingest candy, some of the candy, none of the candy, donate the candy, burn the candy or put it on a rocket with a sign of poison and shoot it into space.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#206 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
Um, wouldn't you throw the wrapper away anyway? And they are still going to MAKE the candy, and SHIP the candy, and PACKAGE the candy. So really it isn't about whether a person eats the candy or not, but about if people ToT or not.

ToT=waste. So all you candy eaters are just as guilty as the candy tossers

If people who are jsut going to throw it out, stop tot-ing, then those houses will not buy as much, which in the long run, means less produced. Or do you feel that way about everything? Meaning, oh well, they are going to make gas guzzling SUV no matter what so we all may as well by one?
#207 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 PM

to me it's like going to a buffet that serves desserts and loading up your plate, again and again, and just dumping it. maybe eating one bite, but dumping most of it. why take it at all? I just can't believe people will take something(or buy) with the INTENT to throw it away. Really? If you think it's garbage, don't take it!
#208 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
For YOU it may be about candy, for US it is about community. I am not the poster you are quoting, but in my neighbourhood it is a community thing. A chance to get out and visit neighbours and the ones with grown children (especially the seniors) just LOVE seeing the kids in their costumes. The candy is not the point at all, though we do eat the chocolate (just not the rest). I find it kind of sad that it isn't more community oriented everywhere, but is merely a candy grab. One more reason to be grateful for my neighbourhood (even though they give out some questionable candy ). There are lots of reasons to ToT that have NOTHING to do with candy. Maybe not for your family, but for lots of other families
So, have you broached the idea of just going around and showing costumes to each other? Visting on Halloween, without the "trick or treat" part?

Have you ever said, "oh, no thank you - we just like to visit the neighbours and dd likes to show off her costume"? Do any of your wonderful neighbours not hand out anything, or do they answer the door with a bowl of treats?

So, you think trick-or-treating shouldn't have treats? It should just be a community oriented excuse to take stuff from neighbours and throw it away?

I don't even get this. It's very community minded here, too...lots of the neighbours will be looking forward to seeing dd1's and ds2's costumes, and will definitely take time to admire dd2 in her Ergo when I take them out. But...this is a community and my kids don't need to ask for candy to interact with their neighbours. They do that every day. So do I. I'm grateful that I don't have to ask for things from my neighbours and then throw them away, in order to feel community minded.

This whole thread is blowing my mind. I'm sorry, but knocking on people's doors and asking for treats, knowing that you're going to throw those treats away, isn't what I think of when I think of community. YMMV.

#209 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:

But some people don't want to harm others in what they percieve as health garbage and would rather throw it away.

Others made the suggestion that if you hate candy that much don't support the supply and demand and have a party instead.

Then people said that there are people who want candy even if it will rot their teeth like homeless people, sad people, lonely people, sad kids, dying people, old people.

Then others chimed in that ToT is a cultural fun time with kids parading their costumes and they want to participate and that people should invest in other things to give out. Stickers, play-doh, raisins.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with your decision to ingest candy, some of the candy, none of the candy, donate the candy, burn the candy or put it on a rocket with a sign of poison and shoot it into space.
Gotcha!

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
#210 of 275 Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page