Throwing candy away - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awww...maybe you can dress the everyone up and take some candy around to the neighbors instead? You can tell them you're doing topsy turvy Halloween, since you ARE in the opposite hemisphere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 AM

On the one hand, I'm categorically opposed to throwing away food.

On the other hand, so much of that is really industrial by-products and hardly counts as "food", except that it would indeed sustain a person (for a period of time).

And I have to admit I throw away more than I'd like 'cause it gets moldy before we get to it. Not that that's going to happen with this candy, I'm just saying, far be it from me to give lectures on throwing food out.

Also, now that I think about it, I have thrown out really poor-quality candy on my own, if it's just tempting me. However that was when I was younger.

If it were my friend, I think I'd say, "Gosh, I'll drop it at the food bank for you, sure they need better food but after all, it's something."

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 10-10-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Nope. I just think it's really strange, and very wasteful, to deliberately participate in something you don't have to participate in and find objectionable. If someone finds candy so objectionable that they throw it away (and I'm not talking about a few stray items at the bottom of the bag that went stale before they got eaten), I simply don't get why they'd trick-or-treat at all. The whole "it's not about the candy" thing makes no sense, from a cultural standpoint, because it is about the candy.
If someone is anti-junky candy, it makes absolutely no sense to go around collecting the junky candy and then just tossing it in the garbage. It's still buying into the "industrial mass produced candy" thing, just indirectly. Instead of spending your own money and throwing it away, you're wasting someone else's money, which IMO, is pretty rude.

There are plenty of Halloween activities to participate in that don't involve candy. I know that a lot of schools, churches and towns/cities/parks and rec groups have costume parades and fall festivals. You can have your Halloween fun without being wasteful and without making the candy part of the equation.

If your community doesn't have a Halloween event to suit your needs, you could always organize something yourself with like minded friends.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 AM

I love you guys...you totally crack me up! I've stayed up entirely too late reading this goofy thread! hehehehe....

The only thing remotely constructive I have to say is that my dh (who is a Marine and has been deployed 3 times) says DO NOT send candy. They (the Marines) are drowning in the stuff and don't need anymore. They are living on junk anyway, and the candy just really is not helpful. He also refuses to hand it out to the locals...pencils, yes, candy, absolutely not. He doesn't want to cause such sugar lust and addiction in a place where the children know no such thing. Just a different perspective...

(Uhm....just for the record...I'm neutral on this debate since we don't "do" Halloween. And my kids are still small enough that they don't eat much candy anyway. I don't offer and they don't usually ask...)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 AM

For us, Halloween is about much more than the candy. In fact, we usually spend so much time visiting our friends (elderly) and neighbors in the area that we don't get all that much candy anyway.

There are definitely people (like us) who TOT for the socialization and the candy is just an added "bonus". We go to chat with people we never get the time to talk with otherwise, to let the kids stay up late and dress up fun, and to show off how gosh darn cute they are. I have never, nor will I ever, go to random houses just for the purpose of getting a bigger candy stash.

When we get home, the kids are usually asleep, so I pick through the candy. I keep the chocolates and other candies my little kids can have - sweet tarts, tootsies, licorice. I toss the jawbreakers, the sugar daddies and taffies, and anything else that just hollers "Choking!" or "Tooth Rot!" or "Really Weird Unknown Item!" to me.

In the end, the tossed stuff equals about two handsful. (More later, after the kids sample what's left and decide they don't like whatever it is they opened.) No, I'm not going to donate the stuff. It's not worth my fretting and bothering over. And yeah, I find it incredibly rude to pick through what each person is offering or decline a generous person's candy altogether.

Just a note. How do we know that the OP's friend's kids really don't get that much candy, either? Maybe they really get only as much as they can eat in one night, and then the weird and yucky things get tossed afterwards? I assume some people are envisioning plastic pumpkin buckets full of candy being tossed, when it very well could be just a little bit being tossed.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
Awww...maybe you can dress the everyone up and take some candy around to the neighbors instead? You can tell them you're doing topsy turvy Halloween, since you ARE in the opposite hemisphere...
THAT is such a good idea!!! Tigerchild is there no end to your brilliance?

we could hand out homemade halloween cookies or something... they also don't do holiday cookies here, and I've had more than one kiwi say how much they love those "holiday shaped biscuits with icing that americans make" so that might be fun...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering how the TOTers whose parents make them throw out the candy feel about it.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM

I am fortunate, because we have a crunchy-granola co-housing community down the street. We have ToT'd there since ds was a baby. We get some candy, granola bars, book marks, tooth brushes, little balls, play doh, etc.

This is the only kind of ToT'ing ds knows. He will be 5 and I know we will eventually branch out. When we do, I will selectively thin out his candy stash. I simply don't think a child needs to suck on a round hard ball of candy, but I'm paranoid about choking. It will probably get passed on to my office where it will get scooped in 4 minutes flat.

Anyway, some alternatives if anyone is interested:
- save the candy for gingerbread house making
- give the candy to someone you know who has a pinata to stuff.
- find other alternatives - most larger towns have a variety of stuff to do that involves a costume but not loads of candy.

We don't get ToT'er here b/c of the way our cul-de-sac is situated off a non-pedestrian friendly dark road. Now I feel lucky. Halloween candy is not cheap, and I feel for people who have to buy 4 or 5 bags.

If you don't let your child eat it, and then they don't ToT, that will eventually cut down on the amount your neighbors will have to buy.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
woah i havent read all the replies.

but yeah i was one of them who threw the candy away.

first i could not take it to work as hello candy overflowing everywhere. i dont treat candy as food. its a junky treat that you have a little of. plus most of the candy given out are from sales anyways. have you seen the shelf lives on those? not always but sometimes. no we dont get organic candy either.

see the candy brings up the whole gift thing imho. when i give a gift i GIVE it away. what the person does with the gift i give them i dont care about. same with candy.

i volunteer with homeless shelters a lot. it is sad to see how much candy and McDonalds giftcards they get. junk food. most of the food closets have end of shelf life food, rarely any fresh food. OMG that is sooo sad.

so no i dont have any problems throwing candy away. it is not wasteful. it is junk. however having said that i will say we are v. lucky. we have a fair at the park. so we do maybe 5 or 6 houses and then go join the jumpy houses at the park. so my dd since she was 2 has gotten maybe a handful of candy. however even if she had a bucketful it wouldnt change my mind.

oh and when my dd was younger i threw away the candy. now that she is older its a joint decision.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
If someone is anti-junky candy, it makes absolutely no sense to go around collecting the junky candy and then just tossing it in the garbage. It's still buying into the "industrial mass produced candy" thing, just indirectly. Instead of spending your own money and throwing it away, you're wasting someone else's money, which IMO, is pretty rude.
sorry i disagree. candy for our family is a secondary thing - even now that my dd is 7 years old.

she wants to be seen in her costume. she wants to be acknowledged in a v. social thing. yes of course there are lots of activities where there is no candy and we do a lot of them, but nothing beats halloween night itself.

and have you tried to refuse candy? like hey your smile was enough. do you know what a huge objection people have for that? how many people feel so insulted. they take it personally. of course some dont. but most do.

we DO do reverse halloween. its either flowers my dd has gathered, or interesting rocks or sticks or leaves. most people are really touched by that. she feels candy is not personal enough.

to me halloween is so not about candy. candy is teh secondary thing. its a social community event. that for once we connect - even in a superficial way - but its still connection. our neighbourhood gpa so loves it when kids admire his decorations that he spent so much time to put up.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
see the candy brings up the whole gift thing imho. when i give a gift i GIVE it away. what the person does with the gift i give them i dont care about. same with candy.
While gifts are something one gives freely, ToTers come to your home and demand a treat with the threat of a trick if you don't fork it over. It isn't exactly a gift.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
While gifts are something one gives freely, ToTers come to your home and demand a treat with the threat of a trick if you don't fork it over. It isn't exactly a gift.
I know WE'LL be armed with all kinds of nasty tricks for people who don't give candy. I may throw away what they offer, but they owe it to me to fork it over anyway.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
demand? i consider it still a gift. the kids come you give. otherwise you could just turn off the light and not participate.

the only ones who are really demanding here are teenagers with pillowcases and no costume.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Except you always have the option of turning off your porch light and not answering the door if you don't want to give out treats. And I've never heard of little kids and their parents actually vandalizing a house because no one answered the door or ran out of things to give. In my experience, egging and toilet papering and such are usually done randomly by teenagers who are too old for trick or treating anyway.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I never thought of the evil intentions lurking behind the bunny mask or princess dress. I'll have to keep it in mind...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Dar

Quote:

and have you tried to refuse candy? like hey your smile was enough. do you know what a huge objection people have for that? how many people feel so insulted. they take it personally. of course some dont. but most do.
Interesting. Rain never encountered any negative reactions. She used to say "No thank you" to anything Ne$tle when she was little, and once or twice she wound up explaining why but no one ever seemed to feel insulted.

Then she got older and we decided eating Ne$tle was okay if we didn't buy it, 'cause it's tasty stuff... She was a much more zealous lactivist at 5 and 6...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I have two peanut/tree nut allergic children. They, and I, have had to refuse candy (and many baked goods) year 'round. Not that big of a deal.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
I know WE'LL be armed with all kinds of nasty tricks for people who don't give candy. I may throw away what they offer, but they owe it to me to fork it over anyway.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama View Post
You are a hoot! This could be a thread itself. Off to type up thread about the best tricks to play on people who do not give out candy on Halloween. (insert evil laugh)

mom to the amazing one 10/04 the wife 10/01
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
I just found out that our kid's new dentist will actually buy their Halloween candy from them, by the pound. I love this--my kids love making money and picking out little toys or saving up for something bigger. The candy the dental office buys will then be donated to the huge gingerbread village that is created at a local resort hotel each holiday season. I told the kids already, and they're very excited. We'll let them enjoy some of the mini candy bars, but after the weekend, they're eager to make a sale!
We have some local dentists who do this as well, except they box it all up and send it to the troops overseas.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM

we are in the country and don't get t&T'ers. If we were in the city and I spent money on candy i'd be upset to hear it was thrown out. I'd be using my money for the kids where it could/should have been used elsewhere.

People need to find other things to do with the candy - take it to work, take it to somewhere and give away, don;t just throw it out though!

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
No. They say give it away to someone else instead of throwing it away.

But some people don't want to harm others in what they percieve as health garbage and would rather throw it away.

Others made the suggestion that if you hate candy that much don't support the supply and demand and have a party instead.

Then people said that there are people who want candy even if it will rot their teeth like homeless people, sad people, lonely people, sad kids, dying people, old people.

Then others chimed in that ToT is a cultural fun time with kids parading their costumes and they want to participate and that people should invest in other things to give out. Stickers, play-doh, raisins.

Then others said kids wouldn't like that, they want candy.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with your decision to ingest candy, some of the candy, none of the candy, donate the candy, burn the candy or put it on a rocket with a sign of poison and shoot it into space.
hahahahahahhah Your post is great And it does a really nice job summing up this whole thread!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM

There is a local ped around me that is asking kids to bring in their candy. For every pound they get $5. If they want to donate the $5 to a charity (forget which charity it was- maybe hunger?) the ped will match them dollar for dollar.
The candy will then get sent over seas to the troops. Also they encourage kids to make a Halloween card for a soldier.

How thoughtful!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM

I havent read all the replies, but after trick or treating the kids pick out about 10pieces of candy. The rest gets left out for the "sugar plum fairy" who in turn leaves small gifts in exchange.

Then the extra candy goes to Dh work to give out to the people waiting in line. ( He works at the food bank)

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Old 10-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
There is a local ped around me that is asking kids to bring in their candy. For every pound they get $5. If they want to donate the $5 to a charity (forget which charity it was- maybe hunger?) the ped will match them dollar for dollar.
The candy will then get sent over seas to the troops. Also they encourage kids to make a Halloween card for a soldier.

How thoughtful!
We have a dentist doing something like this overhere. Other things he requested for the troops were babywipes, so I am wandering if it is a good idea to send candy to the troops, will they be able to brush their teeth good enough when they need babywipes to wash themselves?

Carma
Old 10-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
I think it is really rude to the people who paid good money to give out candy to trick or treaters to have it only go into the garbage. Some people have to scrimp in other areas to pay for candy to give out (where I used to live we would get 200 kids!) and to have it just go into the garbage is such a waste.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My dd is allergic to corn products and most of the candy given out has some type of corn product in it. Usually corn syrup, which gives my dd painful hives.
She goes trick or treating and then after we exchange the candy with a small bag of corn-free candy and little toys. Her dad loves candy so he gets the regular candy and my dd is happy because she gets treats too. She doesn't eat it all at once though. I keep in the refrig and she can have a piece for dessert.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM

I actually had to laugh about the baby wipes to wash themselves comment. I was deployed, we had tons of water bottles that we used for drinking and basic higene (excuse the spelling I have a migrane). I use to brush my teeth and floss at least 2-4 times a day since during sandstorms Id get sand in my teeth (anyone here ever tried to talk in a sand storm? Its not easy). When there was no showers we bathed with baby wipes but still brushed our teeth. I think most of us kept our teeth cleaner than anything else we had.

As for candy, my daughter is 2 so this is what Im trying out this year. We are going to go trick or treating since she loves to dress up and met new people. When we get home Im going to allow her to pick out 14 pieces of candy (one a day for 2 weeks) then Im going to trade her the rest for a couple of new books and maybe a toy. Shes not a big candy eater so Im pretty sure she will jump at the chance to get some new books out of the deal. Im giving the candy to my in-laws since they eat a lot of it and we are going to have a full house of people for Christmas. After that its not my worry, Im sure its going to get eaten since my in-laws are big candy eaters. Last year our leftovers went to DH's work for his Marines and to the box of goodies out church sent over to the deployed Marines in Iraq and Afganistan.
As for other people throwing things out, it is a little wasteful. As I mentioned before I have been deployed, we got shipped a TON of candy. Not only was it a great treat for us but we gave some to the Iraqis and other non-military people we worked with and they were very appreciative of it. I use to work with this boy over there and his eyes got so big and happy when I gave him a little Hersheys Chocolate bar. I almost cried when I saw how happy he was over something so simple. We might think of it as junk but to someone else it might be the only piece of chocolate they have had or have had in a while.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 10-20-2009, 08:09 PM

We do a trade with the Halloween Fairy. The kids (well, really just dd as ds is too young) get to choose a small amount of candy to keep (which they eat over several days). The rest of the candy is left on the table for the Halloween Fairy to take. In return she leaves a present (ideally, since our house is way over-run with rarely-used toys and books, something practical but still exciting, like this year I got dd some super sparkly cool tights).

The Halloween Fairy's candy mostly gets eaten by me and dh, though some of the really gross stuff does get tossed in the trash I'm sorry to admit (I hate the waste!).

ETA this thread has inspired me to think of somewhere to bring the left-over unwanted candy besides throw it out.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily
I think it is really rude to the people who paid good money to give out candy to trick or treaters to have it only go into the garbage. Some people have to scrimp in other areas to pay for candy to give out (where I used to live we would get 200 kids!) and to have it just go into the garbage is such a waste.
This thread a certainly sparked quite a few IRL conversations for me, along with lots to think about.

I was wondering if something can be rude if the person it would potentially offend has no idea you even did it? I mean it would be rude for DD to pick her nose while sitting next to me but not if she did it in the privacy of her own room.

So it would be rude for my DD to accept a handful of treats and then toss it in the trash at the end of the driveway, but why is it rude for it to be tossed a week later in the privacy of my own home? She enjoyed the candy for awhile so it's not waste in my opinion. It just was not used the way that most think it should be.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

User Tag List