I'm not too thrilled about what ds wants most of all for christmas - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found a Bruder truck at Marshalls/Home Goods today for $29.99.

It wasn't a cement mixer but a Bruder nonetheless. They do hold up!

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebunny View Post
Found a Bruder truck at Marshalls/Home Goods today for $29.99.

It wasn't a cement mixer but a Bruder nonetheless. They do hold up!
Yes! I bumped this to say that I found them at TJ Maxx for $19.99 but I think it got missed! There are some good deals on Bruder right now!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
We have a TON of Bruder trucks and I LOVE them.

Yes, they're plastic. But they are VERY realistic. They are among the favorite toys for all the kids who come to our house. Our ds is a detail guy. Details MATTER. (Seriously, whether the garbage truck lifts the garbage on the side or the back was a HUGE deal to him!) Wood trucks just weren't realistic enough for him. The Bruder trucks are.

Other reasons I love the Bruder trucks:
1. They're made in Germany, so they're safe plastic.
2. They're durable. Really, really strong. As in my kids sat on them, used them for steps, decided to see what would happen when they were sent down the steps (and onto the slate floor), etc.
3. You can replace the parts. (Active Toys has a really nice parts department.)

I got most of our Bruder stuff on Ebay. The price was much better, and I figured I was doing my part for the environment by recycling a toy that another child was done playing with.

Look at that - a very similar garbage truck on Ebay for $25 plus shipping.

We love Bruder trucks too. We have 3. We've had them since ds was about 2, and he still plays with them several times a week (ds is now 4.5). They are the perfect scale for Playmobil figures. They are a bit pricey, but they would make a perfect Christmas present, imho.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 AM

I would suck it up and get it if he's been interested in it for a longer period of time ( not just 2 days). I think that truck looks nice actually.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 AM

If it would be me I might get it for a lower price, otherwise not and look for something very similar (maybe smaller, cheaper but still good quality).

My one ds saw a remote control yellow construction work digger and a pack of two yellow construction machines. Both toys were a bit pricy and I am not so much into the remote controlls (the two we got were broken in no time, too, and a lot of battery use, even for rechargeable batteries). But then I found, high on the shelf another (also yellow :-) construction toy by matchbox that can be assembled into (so called) 20 different trucks/machines/cranes (Well, if it would be 4 it would already be great), of which a digger and a crane, and it looks pretty sturdy, and best of all: it was only 30USD and I even got it with a good discount for only 20USD because it was the last one. And I KNOW how my DS2 will just LOVE it (and it does have a movement/spound function, optional :-) and will not think about those other toys anymore because this one is similar and exciting enough)!

My other ds is much into cartoons and also loves transformer toys he's seen on TV or with other kids, and even though I disliked those for a long time, I now found one that I just know my ds2 will love, and I tried to see the aesthetics in it, and I found one that I could live with too (even it has a chain weapon but the kind my ds always wanted for his playmobil figurines).

So yes, I try to go for what they like but I may bring some variation in it and he result is a toy compromise we're all happy with.

When we shop I sometimes give my veto for toys I really can't have for one or other reason. It doesn't mean they will be toy-starved. I always look out for things I think they will love, but the toys should be able to live up to certain standards.

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
That is a gorgeous cement mixer!
I was thinking the same thing... And I'm not exactly a cement mixer kinda girl. I'd probably try to make peace with myself about the truck not living up to my ideals and I'd get the little guy the cement mixer because it's Christmas and I'm all about Christmas wishes. (Of course, I'd also compliment him on his good taste. )
Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
Yes! I bumped this to say that I found them at TJ Maxx for $19.99 but I think it got missed! There are some good deals on Bruder right now!
ditto! lol!
ds is going to be the joyful recipiant of this cool craneand this flatbed truck/bulldozer combo. $20 for the crane & $29 for the truck w/ bulldozer!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So...original poster...are you gonna get it for him?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List