What toys do your kids REALLY use?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a lot of kids over from the neighborhood this summer, ages 7-9, and they played the most with:

Stuffed animals
Dress up stuff - not just clothes but accessories - "IDs" on lanyards, hats, badges, bags, etc.
Toy kitchen
Play food
Playmobil dollhouse
Trucks
Tree swing
Wooden train tracks
Marble runs

Our tracks have been put away for awhile, but they are really popular among kids of different ages (boys and girls). The key for us is that they have ROOM to spread them out (they go all around the main floor of the house). We also have high quality tracks (thanks Godparents) and they stay together pretty well. My kids were about 4-5 before they could put them together.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#32 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 AM

Trains and books. That's pretty much it. He may pick up another toy here and there, but they don't really ever get played with.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#33 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlprof View Post
You know what? I think I am not getting expensive wooden blocks for Xmas. That is what I want them to play with. I think we will be getting more legos and maybe a nintendo DS.
I know...crazy, huh. When DD1 was born, I researched the heck out of every toy (um, micromanage much? ) and went for lots of uber-expensive wooden toys, and stuff I thought they'd like because, you know, it increased gross motor skills and hand-eye coordination and pattern recognition...

Blah..

I'll give some credit to multinational toy corps...they do their homework. Focus groups, focus groups, focus groups. Maybe, in the end, the reason the toys are so successful is not all about the spin-off cartoons and related acessories...but maybe the stuff's actually FUN!?!?

#34 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 AM

My son is 2.5 years old. He plays with his wooden kitchen the most, cars (wooden and matchbox) second, and his wooden animals and people, his rocking horse, a banana box which is his "work truck" and his play silks and dolls some too. And blocks and legos and instruments and his trains. He's an equal opportunity player, but his kitchen definitely sees the most use.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#35 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 01:52 AM

DD will be five in December. Some of her favorite playthings:

-dress-up clothes of all kinds
-dress-up accessories (magic wands, doctor kit etc)
-dolls
-stuffed animals
-play dough and tools
-all craft supplies
-board games (especially Hi Ho Cherry O and Hungry, Hungry Hippos)
-wooden building blocks and ABC blocks
-Playmobil
-dollhouse people/Calico Critters/Schleich figures
-playsilks
-play kitchen and accessories (especially tea set)

Stuff that failed, imo (though she does play with all of these, on occasion):

-most puzzles
-train tracks/trains
-doll stroller
-toy vacuum cleaner

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#36 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
Any adult thing
That made me laugh because its true at our house too! (I'm assuming by "adult thing" you mean regular household items that aren't toys and not . . . ahem, "adult" things )

At our house the most-used toys are:

wooden blocks
playsilks
hotwheels
dollhouse
art supplies

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#37 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM

DD (4)
75% of the time is either drawing or painting, gluing & cutting. So...pens/pencils, markers, any kind of paint, tape, glue and scissors.
We got a bucket full of scissors that make different edges and she loves those.

-books
-dolls and doll clothes
-dress up clothes (like old Halloween costumes)
receiving blankets she wraps them around everything and wears them
puzzles
-her treasure box. This has tons of little things like rocks, beads, feathers, necklaces, shells and any kind of glittery ribbon pieces or decorations that she finds.
-play kitchen
-leapster

not really played with or much less:
-shopping cart
-stroller
-dollhouse
-blocks
-cars and trucks
-instruments
-magnadoodle

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#38 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
DD (4)

not really played with or much less:
-shopping cart
-stroller
-dollhouse
-blocks
-cars and trucks
-instruments
-magnadoodle

OMG I can't believe that your magnadoodle is a flop. We have had ours for a couple years and it is RIDICULOUS how much one toy can cause all the kids to scream and fight over it. It is used every single day over and over and over. I even bought mini versions for the car and every car ride when I bring them out they freak like they have never seen a magnadoodle before. LOL! So interesting to read everyone's lists to see how different our kiddos are!!!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#39 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
I know...crazy, huh. When DD1 was born, I researched the heck out of every toy (um, micromanage much? ) and went for lots of uber-expensive wooden toys, and stuff I thought they'd like because, you know, it increased gross motor skills and hand-eye coordination and pattern recognition...

Blah..

I'll give some credit to multinational toy corps...they do their homework. Focus groups, focus groups, focus groups. Maybe, in the end, the reason the toys are so successful is not all about the spin-off cartoons and related acessories...but maybe the stuff's actually FUN!?!?

So true, at least for the stuff that's been around for a while--Legos, Matchbox cars, Barbie. Then again, these are the types of toys that have causes spin-off cartoons, not the other way around. Legos were around for a lot longer than Lego Star Wars and same with the Barbie dolls and all those movies they make now.
#40 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Mine are 15, 6, 5 and 5. As well I have daycare kids, 3, 2, 2 and 2.
This is what I've discovered

Things we didn't like, didn't use, or absolutely hated : )

Any plastic toy with a predetermined outcome. Fisher Price makes lots of these, I've only ever bought one thing (the Dance Dance Monkey thing) it was a dust collector. But we've recieved tons of it as gifts or hand me downs. The FP garage became a step stool, the farm a storage box for the billion plastic animals and people, you get the idea...

Talking dolls. To me, there's something wierd about a company programming a doll to say the phrases that were most likely the most suggested in a focus group. It's unimaginative and unoriginal. What's wrong with the child making up his/her own sayings and voices?

Train table. Once the pieces were glued down, it was a bit better, but overall, it was just a surface to put junk.

Noisy toys. Like singing Leapfrog toys. (shudder)

Plastic play kitchen and plastic play food. They never even touched it.
Same goes for the plastic workbench.

Learning games (like the smarttouch, or leapster...) it held their interest for a very brief moment, but were mainly a source of frusteration and quickly went away.

Stuff we loved....And still do!

Wooden blocks (alphabet blocks, homemade 2x4 ends, any kind of wooden block!)

Wooden animals and shoeboxes.

Fisher Price Happy Apple (Old) as well as the xylophone, castle, telephone and school bus (old ones, 70's era again)

Simple ride on toys.

Gears, Waffle blocks, K'nex, Tinkertoys, and dinky cars.

Books, art supplies, modeling clay, dollar store learning and activity books and stickers.

Beanbags.

Wooden doll furniture and basic baby dolls , Waldorf dolls, and tons of old doll clothes.

Dress up trunk.

Castles and knightes.

Pirate ship.

Real tools.

Tree fort and swings (hung from trees) Fishing rods, kites, scooters, bikes, old surfboard, boogie boards, balls, skateboards, rowboats and dinghies. Sticks, rocks, pinecones, sand, stream, woods....

Knitting and sewing.

Old maps, old cameras, old cell phones, old winches and block and tackles, rope...

My daycare kids are really into filling plastic yogurt containers with anything they can find (gravel, sticks, dry macaroni, etc.) and dumping it out. Over and over : )
#41 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM

DS is 2.5 and he likes:

-Little People (the sets, the figures, anything to do with Little People)
-puppets
-anything with wheels
-blocks (any kind- wooden blocks, Legos, whatever)
-toy trains (he slightly prefers Thomas but he likes any trains)
-dinosaur figures
-any bath toys
-play kitchen
-anything where he can press buttons and it plays tunes
-Mylar helium balloons
-anything for drawing/ painting/ modeling clay/ playdough

He also has dolls and stuffed animals which he likes, but given the choice he prefers puppets.
#42 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 AM

For dd (2-8) it was:

stuffed animals
Schleich animals
playsilks/dress up
laces, jumpropes
books

Now, at 8.5, she is attached to magical/fantasy props. She loves! the -ology type books (wizardology, wandmaker's handbook, dragonology, etc).

Ds (2):

blocks (wooden, lego, duplo, mega)
Plastic dinosaurs
balls, balls, balls!
action figures (esp TMNT)
Chalk, crayons, markers
ride on toys (his Step 2 motorcycle is his fav)
playsilks
books
#43 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

DD, 5:

Books
Art supplies
Plastic animals
Stuffed animals
Dress-up
Swing and trapeze

DS, 20 months:
Cars and trucks
Balls
Plastic animals
Books
FP farm
He also likes that damn Leapfrog table.

Both children occasionally enjoy blocks, but not often. They both like to play with the Magnadoodle in the car.

Things we have that DD doesn't play with:
Legos
Tinkertoys
Puzzles
Play food
Random plastic crapola (you know what I mean)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#44 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 04:39 PM

I have girls FWIW,

DD1 (7)

would play w trains as a tot
playsilks playsilks playsilks since age 3.
dress up stuff, loves wedgies always has
barbies and doll house stuff, they have whole scenerios in my basement including wooden blocks and animal figurines etc. if a boy is included.
has her own boom box and likes making shows w microphones etc

dd2 (3.5)

wont touch trains
loves our play kitchen area
M/D sushi set and pizza set
playsilks
dress up
barbies
dolls

I played w barbies as a child and loved them. I allow them and realized it evolved into the barbies, dollhouse and sometimes if boys over, there is a block building and animals for Ken the zookeeper (?)

The playsilks are bigtime here. It amazes me how every child comes into my house and always finds something to do with these. Boys will make capes, flags, put over their head etc. Girls will make skirts, table cloths, wraps, drapes, anything. We have all primary colors plus some "pretty" ones.

DH built a kichen set we copied from pottery barn and that area gets lots of traffic. Sometimes restrnt, sometimes grocery, sometimes just playing. The older ones (5-8) will have a "kitchen show" complete with "and welcome back! today we are making....."

We have a train table plus trains and dd2 isnt as much interested. Another LLL mama friend and neighbor is taking them for her small boys soon and we are trading for some art she does.

For xmas, dds asked for a "stage" so DH is making a stage that can be folded up in the basement. Also a request for a lemonade stand/ puppet show. All this made from wood scraps. We have an alcove so we are thinking of making an area the stage and hang curtains up etc for the effect.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#45 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM

we also love art supplies here!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#46 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
DD, 5:
Random plastic crapola (you know what I mean)
Yes, but does it multilpy like really fast in your house too?

#47 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM

Love this thread! DD will be 10 months old at Christmas time. Any suggestions?? So far, DH is building her a toy chest and "Santa" is bringing a ride-on scooting toy. My mom is getting her a baby doll. What do babies want for Christmas that will actually get some use??

I'd buy for the year ahead (more big girl toys), but her birthday is 2 months later, so family members will be getting her big girl things then...

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#48 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 PM

This is great, though I am disappointed (not the least bit surprised) to see how much variation there is! Almost every toy is on both someone's play and no-play list. Kids really are all individual little people, aren't they?

DD1 (5)
books
"science" tools (magnifying glass, compass, etc)
LEGOS! Probably the default non reading activity
dress up
basic art supplies(crayons, stickers), but NOT more complicated craft kits or craft supplies. I could have saved a lot of money not buying all those sequins and beady things.
play kitchen/play food
chalk (when it's nice enough outside)
lately, chess set (and would love more board games generally, but her evil mother hates board games except for chess and scrabble, and DD doesn't like to play scrabble with me because I tell her when she spells words wrong)

DS (4 in a month)
books
balls
crayons/paper (no other art stuff, though)
legos
cars/little plastic animals
dress up (mostly just with DD, doesn't do it as much by himself)
play kitchen
dollhouse

DD2 (14 months)
nothing really, yet. Shoes, maybe. Tupperware. Destruction of whatever lego creation the bigger two are making.

We have very low interest in playsilks (they just sit at the bottom of the dress up box, which is otherwise filled with my dance/brownie/halloween, etc costumes from when I was a little girl), puzzles, "caretaking" things- dolls, strollers, etc., and blocks aside from legos. Also more complicated game sets- the Quadrilla marble run has been gotten out maybe 4 times in 2 years, always initiated by me. 99% of the time the older two are both in the house they play together, so their lists are very alike. When DS is by himself, he almost exclusively either does something ball oriented or creates towns with cars and animals and the dollhouse.

ETA: when my kids were about 1, they got balls, thick paintbrushes (my DS really liked these), stacking rings/cups, and board books.
#49 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 06:01 PM

I wanted to add pop-up tent, and an inflatable jumpy castle thing. TONS of traffic.
#50 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM

DS- 2.5

Trains and train tracks
Matchbox cars
Puzzles
Playdoh
Art supplies
Empty rubbermaid bins
Cardboard tubes
Kitchen utensils
Balls
Outside toys like scooters and bikes

We don't have a ton of toys but there are a lot of things that we have that he hasn't looked at in months, like his blocks. He likes to follow me around and find something to do in whatever room I am in at the time.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#51 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 06:41 PM

DS #1 (4)
-cars
-bike
-play dough
-dolls
-shovels
-kiddie pool
-Tonka trunks
-art supplies

DD (2)
-everything her brother plays with

DS#2 (9 months)
-the dog
-Tupperware drawer in the kitchen
-Lamaze toy keychain
-stuffed animals
-whatever brother and sister are playing with

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#52 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 PM

DS almost 5- Play-doh, Matchbox/hotwheels cars, airplanes, rescue vehicles, coloring books/crayons, balls, outside toys (bike, basketball hoop) nerf gun *duck*

DD almost 2- Play doh, baby dolls, dress up shoes, purse, mega blocks, ride on toys, books, crayons/coloring books, stickers

DD is harder, she rarely plays with her toys, just packs them around but those are her favorite. She will actually put Mega Blocks together and scoot around on ride on toys. Stickers she just puts all over herself.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#53 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not really surprised that (some) kids prefer plastic toys to wooden. Kids are little, remember - wood is heavy! When I worked at a kindergarten the kids preferred the plastic trucks because they could skim easily over the "roads" in he sandpit. Wooden trucks were cumbersome to lift, got stuck and "snowed in" in the sand, hurt when you threw 'em and were generally just a bit unwieldy.

I'm all for the picturesqueness of wooden toys, but the plastic versions are often just a lot more user-friendly (and kids don't tend to care if their toy shelf is in beautiful neutrals and looks artistic... sadly!). Heck, I do the same - I bought lovely heavy ceramic mixing bowls, but half the time I just grab the nasty plastic mixing bowl that came with our wedding-gift kitchen scales. Because it's easier and lighter and I'm phenomenally lazy.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#54 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 PM

I used to have a home daycare. I had a TON of toys. About 6 months ago, I got rid of everything. Seriously. I only kept the baby doll stuff, dress up stuff, wooden kitchen set and play food and various sets of blocks. We have wooden, cardboard, and a few sizes of Lego/Duplo blocks. That is it. And a MILLION books and craft supplies. My kids are happier and so am I. It takes us less than 5 minutes to clean up. They are using the blocks creatively and they play with them more often. All in all though, I could honestly get rid of all toys and my kids would be fine. They aren't big into toys.
#55 of 89 Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
DS 9 loves legos, nascar (matchbox sized cars), art supplies - he is learning to cross stitch, books, nintendo ds and games, thats about it... Maybe on a good day he will ride his bike or scooter or play with his r/c car.

We have tons of board games that go unused and puzzles that sit dusty.

This year for xmas DS asked for LEGOS... Crocs, art supplies and books

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#56 of 89 Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 AM

DD is 27.5 mo. I try to rotate the toys so as to keep them "fresh." DD seems to really enjoy everything listed...

*Animal figurines

*Cars!!! These are DD's current fave!

*Little People

*Caring for her stuffed animals

*Reading/being read to

*Drawing

*Phone, wallet & keys in her little handbag

*Stacking/nesting cups (DD has enjoyed these since she was a little babe)

*Radio Flyer Scoot About (she also has a RF balance bike for later). Some additional outside toys include a little pool, soccer ball and bucket w/ shovel.

We are planning on getting her either a dollhouse (w/ furniture and figurines) or a play kitchen (w/ wooden and felt food, dishware and cookware) for Christmas.

DD also spends a good amount of time playing with non-toys!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#57 of 89 Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post

Blah..

Yeah, I can't tell you how many wooden helicopters and wooden trucks and wooden everything I ended up getting rid of because my kids never liked it, and always wanted the plastic version that did more. They never cared about the playsilks either. They wanted stuff that beeped and "did stuff."
#58 of 89 Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 AM

Wii on occasion, but that goes in spurts
Legos almost nonstop. Seriously. The kids room is 98% legos, 1% bed, and 1% clothes.
Computer games
K'nex were huge here for awhile
Matchbox cars-we have about 300 of the bloody things, because DS inherited a ton from his uncles, and from his older cousin.
Bionicle Legos are also a big hit. He's got buckets of bionicle parts, he creates some of the coolest things with them.

When he was younger, the wooden train set was a big hit, we're actually considering selling it now because we've got a ton of pieces/parts. I don't know, I also kind of like having it around. We'll see.

Play Doh was also a big hit. Especially once DS learned how to vacuum up his own crumbs lol.

He also went through a big airplane phase, and a big tractor phase, so we had tons of really nice metal and plastic airplanes around. I've kept a couple, especially his big red one that he pretty much lived with, and the tractors we kept as well because a lot of them are the nice die cast Brio ones.
#59 of 89 Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Ds is 3 (September). He mostly plays with match box cars. He has a train set, but mostly it's for cars. LOL. He has one train (Peter Sam) that he really loves, but the rest are hit or miss. And, he has lots of sizes of cars that he plays with (mostly model cars granddad picked up thrifting that have become toys). He likes all of them, but matchbox the best.

He plays with duplos sometimes.

Sometimes colors.

Sometimes, my cooking stuff (an empty pot, a spatula, and a wisk). He has a workbench that he calls his grill.

He plays with a set of plastic tools he has (saw, drill, screwdriver, etc).

In our house, we'd be fine if we only kept books and matchbox cars.
#60 of 89 Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
I used to have a home daycare. I had a TON of toys. About 6 months ago, I got rid of everything. Seriously. I only kept the baby doll stuff, dress up stuff, wooden kitchen set and play food and various sets of blocks. We have wooden, cardboard, and a few sizes of Lego/Duplo blocks. That is it. And a MILLION books and craft supplies. My kids are happier and so am I. It takes us less than 5 minutes to clean up. They are using the blocks creatively and they play with them more often. All in all though, I could honestly get rid of all toys and my kids would be fine. They aren't big into toys.

I did the same. With my own kids first, firing all the plastic junk into storage. Then when I started the childcare it all came back. For a very brief time It's all gone now except a few carefully selected plastic toys (gears , waffle blocks, and a few cars and trucks. I kept, and added to our wooden block, wooden animal, dress up, wooden doll furniture, books and art supply collections.
The kids love it. At two years old they're focusing on single 'tasks' like play feeding a doll , lining up and pushing small cars, spinning gears, stacking a tower, scribbling on paper, trying on masks etc....rather than dumping plastic junk all over the floor then leaving it as it's too overwhelming.
Clean up's a breeze too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page