Daycare dilemma - not sure what to do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our DS currently goes to a great pre-school that is about 30 minutes from home and on my way to work. He loves it there, is progressing VERY well and we couldn't imagine him going any place else until it's time for him to go to Kindergarten.

We're expecting our 2nd little boy in February and he will be attending a daycare come next Spring/early Summer. The question is - do I look for a daycare close to DS's preschool - one that is close to our home - or one that is close to my work. The only problem for the latter option is that my H works out of the home, so it might be easier for him if it were one of the first two options?

What do you all think?

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check out your options in all three places - close to home, to the preschool, to your work - and see which one is the best fit.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claras_mom View Post
Check out your options in all three places - close to home, to the preschool, to your work - and see which one is the best fit.
#4 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would check out all the options too.

You don't say what your commute is like, or whether you work a typical 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. Is the drive fairly easy with little traffic? If you face a lot of snarly traffic at the end of the day, a daycare close to work helps avoid being late for pick up. It also helps if there's an emergency (heaven forbid), and you need to get a sick child.

OTOH, if you don't work regularly but will be using full-time care, a daycare away from your home neighbourhood can be a real pain. Who wants to make that commute just to drop off a child, if you aren't also going that way?

In the end though, it can be so tough finding a place that suits your ideals and your child's needs, that the location isn't the most important factor.

Best of luck with your search.
#5 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I would check out all the options too.

You don't say what your commute is like, or whether you work a typical 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. Is the drive fairly easy with little traffic? If you face a lot of snarly traffic at the end of the day, a daycare close to work helps avoid being late for pick up. It also helps if there's an emergency (heaven forbid), and you need to get a sick child.

OTOH, if you don't work regularly but will be using full-time care, a daycare away from your home neighbourhood can be a real pain. Who wants to make that commute just to drop off a child, if you aren't also going that way?

In the end though, it can be so tough finding a place that suits your ideals and your child's needs, that the location isn't the most important factor.

Best of luck with your search.
My commute TO work is only 15 mins from DS's school - very little traffic. The drive home is the same way, but can sometimes take 20-25 minutes because of the time I leave. I work 8:30am - 5:15pm, but am hoping to start leaving at 5pm when DS2 starts going to daycare so that I have a little extra time on my hands in case of traffic.

I will definitely look in to all of our options and see what works best. Thanks!

#6 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We chose to have DD in a daycare close to my work. We enjoy getting to spend the time with her in the car and it means that she's away from us for the least amount of time possible.

You say your DH works at home. Would he need to have your DS2 in daycare full time, or if the daycare was close, could he drop your son off for less hours? My DH works from home sometimes and if our daycare was close to our home, then DD would spend less time there those days. DH tends to wake up early and work, and would would rather sleep in.
#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
We chose to have DD in a daycare close to my work. We enjoy getting to spend the time with her in the car and it means that she's away from us for the least amount of time possible.

You say your DH works at home. Would he need to have your DS2 in daycare full time, or if the daycare was close, could he drop your son off for less hours? My DH works from home sometimes and if our daycare was close to our home, then DD would spend less time there those days. DH tends to wake up early and work, and would would rather sleep in.
When he's in town, he works from home. But he also has appts to attend with sales reps and he travels a few days each month.

#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
When he's in town, he works from home. But he also has appts to attend with sales reps and he travels a few days each month.
The main question, to me, is whether or not he would be able to take your baby to a close daycare and possibly spare him some time in there.

My DH wakes up at his normal time (~6:15) on days he works from home and then eats a quick breakfast and starts work right away. He's always working by 7am if not before. He used to take care of DD 1 day a week after I went back to work, so this meant that when she woke up at 9 or 9:30am he'd already put in a couple hours. If we'd used a close daycare, I'm sure at that point he could have run her over and come back and finished working by 2:30 or 3pm and gone and gotten her.

As it was, she was there for 3 days a week that we both work in the office.

I'm just wanting to encourage you to think outside the box. There are lots of ways to use daycare and lots of different people who are willing to do different things.

I can't work from home well (I get a 1/2 day done in my day at home ) so it wasn't a good option for me to put her in a close daycare and work from home.
#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 PM

I like having daycare close to home. I find it more convenient, especially for the days I need to drop LO off, go to the doctor/other appointment, and then on to work. Less driving.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page