So 8yoDD walked in on...(TMI warning) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post

Here I am wondering what kind of weird position they were in!! I am a sick girl for wondering!
you are not the only one. that's the first thing that came to my mind. i mean where is the TMI. THAT was not TMI.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who needs to wonder. Just be creative and come up with your own.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#33 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
I know in my house we feel locks that kids can reach (and i have a kid who will fetch a chair to reach whatever she wants, lol) are far more risky to childrenthan the possibility of an "oops" when they witness something that should've been private. My DH's brother once had to be rescued by the Fire Brigade because he locked himself in (and the rest of the family out) of the kitchen (in an old-fashioned house with locks on every room door). I would take DD catching us over a visit from the Fire Brigade/broken door/worse any day.
The fire brigade?!? Those must have been some locks! The ones in our house growing up could be picked quite easily with a bent bobby pin. Not that I would ever have dreamed of picking the lock to one of my siblings rooms....

I do remember a big to do at my grandmas once, when my sister had locked herself in the bathroom. The whole family gathered outside the door to watch my father dismantle the doorknob and perform a miraculous rescue
#34 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
My cousin (in her 30's) and her boyfriend (same age) having oral sex. Apparently very creative oral sex. (maybe I should be ) They were in her (my cousin's) private bedroom with the door completely closed.

<snip>

FWIW a couple weeks ago the two lovebirds were in the throes of passion late at night (in my living room, serves 'em right...hence why they were careful to be in the bedroom this time) and woke up the 18mo toddler
Ok, I am NOT a prude about sex at all, nor am I against pre-marital sex. I think being honest and open with children about sex is the best way to handle situations like this, but..... yes there's a but.

Am I the only one thinking that your cousin is being a little inconsiderate to your family by not being a bit more discreet in a home with children? I mean, kids walk in on their parents all the time. No biggie. And were the situations you're describing between you and your partner (aka, the parents) it would seem like less of an issue. But having sex in your living room and waking a child and being walked in on, and then having sex in an unlocked room when people (and children) are home and getting walked in on, seems a little.. I don't know. I just know that if a guest were staying in my house I would find that totally inappropriate. I can't exactly explain why, though. Am I the only one who got a "oh boy" reaction to the guest's extra curricular activities in someone else's home? For one, no naked sweaty bodies and "other fluids" on my sofas! Ew!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#35 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
she saw a totally normal, responsible adult activity going down...

Ha, ha. So to speak.

IMO, I think you handled it just fine.

Center
#36 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Ok, I am NOT a prude about sex at all, nor am I against pre-marital sex. I think being honest and open with children about sex is the best way to handle situations like this, but..... yes there's a but.

Am I the only one thinking that your cousin is being a little inconsiderate to your family by not being a bit more discreet in a home with children? I mean, kids walk in on their parents all the time. No biggie. And were the situations you're describing between you and your partner (aka, the parents) it would seem like less of an issue. But having sex in your living room and waking a child and being walked in on, and then having sex in an unlocked room when people (and children) are home and getting walked in on, seems a little.. I don't know. I just know that if a guest were staying in my house I would find that totally inappropriate. I can't exactly explain why, though. Am I the only one who got a "oh boy" reaction to the guest's extra curricular activities in someone else's home? For one, no naked sweaty bodies and "other fluids" on my sofas! Ew!
Yeah the incident in the living room would definitely upset me but that's a personal issue for the OP and she doesn't seem upset about it.
The oral incident took place in the cousins own person bedroom which she doesn't have a lock on. We're talking about a grown woman, where else is she supposed to do it if her own room is inappropriate yk?

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#37 of 60 Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
Yeah the incident in the living room would definitely upset me but that's a personal issue for the OP and she doesn't seem upset about it.
The oral incident took place in the cousins own person bedroom which she doesn't have a lock onWe're talking about a grown woman, where else is she supposed to do it if her own room is inappropriate yk?
That's just it.. if it doesn't have a lock, should you be doing things that you might not want to get walked in on?

Last summer my mom had a full house - me and daughter, sister and her boyfriend, and when my husband got here, him as well. My daughter is 3 and the day after we got here they put on a lock on the door "just in case". It just seems really, I-don't-know-what-the-word-is, to be having oral sex in an unlocked room when there are kids home. I don't think there's anything wrong with the act in and of itself, but I just think she should have considered the fact that the door doesn't lock when she decided to get freaky with the kids home, is all.

#38 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
That's just it.. if it doesn't have a lock, should you be doing things that you might not want to get walked in on?

Last summer my mom had a full house - me and daughter, sister and her boyfriend, and when my husband got here, him as well. My daughter is 3 and the day after we got here they put on a lock on the door "just in case". It just seems really, I-don't-know-what-the-word-is, to be having oral sex in an unlocked room when there are kids home. I don't think there's anything wrong with the act in and of itself, but I just think she should have considered the fact that the door doesn't lock when she decided to get freaky with the kids home, is all.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it now but I'm assuming cousin has no kids and when I was a single "auntie' I certainly did the same thing.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#39 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd update with the notice that DD is now knocking EVERY TIME a door is closed!

Quote:
I wanted to address this so you didn't think I was ignoring you They had her blankets on the couch, so no yuck factor there. And it was literally almost midnight and we had gone to bed HOURS before this. Normally, as in every other night since she's moved in, we go to bed and stay there. It's NEVER happened otherwise.

And, FWIW, we are ok with her feeling like this is her home too. I don't feel like she's a guest. She's family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
The oral incident took place in the cousins own person bedroom which she doesn't have a lock on. We're talking about a grown woman, where else is she supposed to do it if her own room is inappropriate yk?
I want to clarify I'm not upset because it could have just as easily been DH or I in the same scenario. The baby woke up, either because she heard them (Dianne said she laughed really loud right before the baby came out, that could have been it) or because she just woke up

It was the middle of the night and totally 100% fair to presume the entire household was fast asleep. If it was 9pm we'd be having a conversation, but like I said DH and I could have been in the same situation easily.

Quote:

I think she considered the fact that privacy is a HUGE deal in our house and no one is supposed to go into ANYONE'S room without knocking. DD knows this, and she ignored the rule. Dianne had every reason to believe her room is her space and would not be interrupted or disturbed.

We're getting her a lock, but we didn't even get a lock for OUR door until we'd lived here a few years. I'm not big on door locks, more for the issue that I want privacy respected without the need for locking people out. Hard to explain, but basically I want our home, our family, to trust one another enough such that locks aren't necessary to protect our space.

Now...locks to protect our EYES...that's a whole nuther ball o'wax!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#40 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I thought I'd update with the notice that DD is now knocking EVERY TIME a door is closed!
LOL. I understand her being family, not a "guest". Like I said, I can't really explain why the situation would bother me in my house because I don't think of myself as a prude when it comes to sex. Maybe because it's not something I'd be comfortable doing myself (someone else's home, kids, etc..)?

I also totally get you on the trust issue and locks. My daughter is only 3.5 and a half and has only recently "got" the whole knock and WAIT for someone to answer you (she knocks and then just walks in lol). Your daughter is much older so the trust issue, as opposed to an impulse/learning issue, is totally different and you should be able to expect that an 8 year old would KNOW to knock and wait.

If it all works for you guys, that's all that matters. And maybe I'm a bigger prude than I thought.

#41 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

The interesting thing is that it's really gotten me thinking about the 'why' behind the discomfort, ykwim? Sex is a normal, healthy, bodily function for adults...

I grew up with a LOT of imposed 'sex is bad' messages, so it's really a struggle for me to deal with this and NOT freak out.

I don't think you're a prude

#42 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 AM

I've been thinking about the uncomfortableness too, and the best I can come up with is this: I think *my* issue with it is that when I'm staying in someone else's home (which I am now, I'm at my mom's for the month of October), I would NOT be having sex on her sofa or anywhere else that wasn't locked and private (like when no one is home).

Just because I don't feel that sex is something to be shameful of doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with everyone knowing when and where I'm doing it, you know? To make my thoughts even more convoluded, my 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up in a week and a half and when my husband arrives we're getting a hotel room for EXACTLY this purpose, to get our freak on. My mom knows this, my sisters know it, it's all out in the open. But for someone reason getting in on after having not seen him for a couple of weeks with her and my cousin in the next two rooms over is, well, weird. And I grew up in a pretty liberal open family. Sex is all good if it's consensual and safe, however you like, with whoever you like it with. Masturbation, pre-marital sex.. nothing was off limits. But getting it on while everyone is downstairs watching TV, or worse, making them listen to it if they were in their own rooms, is just.. weird. I can't explain it, maybe it's just me imposing MY comfort level on others? If my mom or my cousin (who is also here right now) were to bring someone home and basically force me to listen/be aware of them having sex, I wouldn't be too happy about it. They can do it 'till the cows come home, but it really doesn't need to be a public affair. And it would be in this house.

ETA: Thinking about it a bit more, I think my discomfort about being too open stems from the fact that my family really was open about sex. Perhaps too open. I remember one time we were on a sailing trip and were anchored out and I rowed to shore to take the trash to the bins and when I got to the docks and looked back at the boat it dawned on me that ALL the other boats were as still as statues, and ours was a rockin'! The guy that owned the marina introduced himself to me and asked which one was ours and I was MORTIFIED that my mom and step-dad were having a quickie while I was gone and making it blatantly obvious. LOL. I guess I'm scarred for life.

#43 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

I see what you're saying, I really do. I guess the difference to me lies in the fact that she's living here, not temporarily. She'll likely be living here for at least a year or two. She's been here a couple months, but she's been 'in the family' forever and she and I are like sisters.

I think if she was visiting I'd completely agree with you, and if it was 'just any guy' we'd definitely have issues. Since she's here pretty permanently, and he's practically family (before this...LOL), I don't have an issue with that part of it. And honestly, I do think they were trying to be discreet. I had NO clue what they were doing in her room. We put in two chairs, a table, a radio, a desk, and her bed. You can't hear anything outside her room. They go in there and sit and talk privately all the time. So it's not like she's running off to screw like rabbits or anything

Still though, I think for me I'd never be comfortable enough in a 'not specifically and solely my home' house to have sex of any kind...kids or no. But I'm a LOT more bashful when it comes to that sort of thing.

Clearly she's not...

#44 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Still though, I think for me I'd never be comfortable enough in a 'not specifically and solely my home' house to have sex of any kind...kids or no. But I'm a LOT more bashful when it comes to that sort of thing.

Clearly she's not...
Yeah, I see what you're saying. The funny thing is, is that while I'm fine talking about sex with my family, my husband is not. I can't have sex with my mom down the hall, but he can. Is that weird? Or maybe it's just because he's a guy?

#45 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I know, right?!?!?!

It's TOTALLY a guy thing (for my guy too, at least).

I think they can manage to 'make it work' just about ANYWHERE :

#46 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, if you can't afford a lock right now, what about a cheapie hook and eye at the top of the door?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#47 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Hey, if you can't afford a lock right now, what about a cheapie hook and eye at the top of the door?
I think you get the award! That's a buck...we can totally do that!

Yeayyyyyy!

#48 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Well, it won't stop someone bound and determined to get in, but it gives you enough time to get your pants up. Don't ask me how I know.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#49 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM

We don't have locks on any of our doors, not even the bathroom door. I don't see the need. We have 2 kids. Only one has ever heard us, but she still didn't come barging in.
#50 of 60 Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Well, it won't stop someone bound and determined to get in, but it gives you enough time to get your pants up. Don't ask me how I know.

#51 of 60 Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Our kids have walked in on us a few times. The last two times DD knew exactly what was happening and just walked back out, DS is too young.

As for the couch thing... I'm in the minority: I don't think it's that weird! If she lives there, or is staying for a while, how is that weird? She has needs. Why on earth would you make yourself celibate just because there are children in the home? God forbid they know what sex is? Yeesh!
Then again, I'm not at all a prude.

My sister has yet to walk in on us (she's very careful), but she's overheard us before... and we've overheard her (and her boyfriend) and we all joke about it. She almost walked in on our dad and his partner a few months back and it's become a huge family joke.
My DS has also run into her room a few times and run back out with a "special toy" - which prompted a, "Please close your door when you're not here" conversation.
Sometimes they forget, even when there are kids around.

I think you handled it fine!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#52 of 60 Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I think the damage and trauma is always in how it's handled afterwards- not the sex part.
Agreed. I think you handled it great!

brandi
Wife to Thomas (03/05) Mama to Tommy (04/06) & Emma (01/10)
#53 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I think the damage and trauma is always in how it's handled afterwards- not the sex part.
my thoughts exactly! I think you handled it very well!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#54 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 01:32 AM

I think you handled it all perfectly!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#55 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 AM

you handled it great
#56 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:

My cousin (in her 30's) and her boyfriend (same age) having oral sex. Apparently very creative oral sex. (maybe I should be )

They were in her (my cousin's) private bedroom with the door completely closed. DD had asked me "where's Aunt Dianne and Tracy?" I said probably in her room, leave them alone.

She proceeded to walk down the hallway, open the door, and stand there.

They were in a ...precarious...position from the sounds of it. My cousin stayed calm and told her to leave, and DD didn't say anything to me about it at all. A little while later the boyfriend left (he's an old family friend...practically lives here anyways, even before she moved in...) and was clearly uncomfortable. She told me a little bit later that DD had walked in on them and they were mortified.

She's worried this will damage DD somehow (??) and my take is it's sex...it's not like they're running a meth lab, ykwim? Sex is for grownups, and walking in on sex is embarrassing for everyone, but it's not wrong or bad. That's pretty much the spiel I gave DD at least.

I talked to DD about personal space and privacy (a big one in our house, there's a specific rule that no one opens closed doors without knocking, this isn't a new concept or anything). I also told DD I'd appreciate it if she apologized to her aunt for walking in (I'm sure she will, they have a good relationship), and I said if she has any questions she can let me know, we have a very open discussion policy about sex.

So do you think I handled it ok? I apologized to Tracy via text message (he was at work by then) and told Dianne that we'd get a lock for her door.

Any other ideas? Words of encouragement to assuage that nagging doubt in my mind that maybe it IS damaging for her to see that? I don't think it is, and no one flipped out or created a complex for her to freak out about, but still...

FWIW a couple weeks ago the two lovebirds were in the throes of passion late at night (in my living room, serves 'em right...hence why they were careful to be in the bedroom this time) and woke up the 18mo toddler, who walked out of our room and down the hall to the living room. My cousin realized she was here and hid under the blanket, at which point the 18mo old waves and says "Hiya Day (her name for my cousin)...PEEK!"

:

........help......
I once walked in on my aunt and her long-time boyfirend doin' the deed (I was staying the night at their place) when I was about the same age as your DD. I was embarrassed to have interrupted them, not about what I saw. I wasn't traumatized, and I doubt your daughter will be either. You gave your DD the requisite "knock first" and "everyone needs privacy now and then" talk, and that's more than I got when I interrupted my aunt's lovemaking session.

Aunt Dianne and Tracy, on the other hand- I bet they'll be blocking their bedroom door from now on!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#57 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM

My 15yo dd walked in on us this morning. Said "oookay then" and walked back out, she was nonchalent about it. She did not knock. Hopefully she's learned knocking is a good thing.
#58 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
Our kids have walked in on us a few times. The last two times DD knew exactly what was happening and just walked back out, DS is too young.

As for the couch thing... I'm in the minority: I don't think it's that weird! If she lives there, or is staying for a while, how is that weird? She has needs. Why on earth would you make yourself celibate just because there are children in the home? God forbid they know what sex is? Yeesh!
Then again, I'm not at all a prude.

My sister has yet to walk in on us (she's very careful), but she's overheard us before... and we've overheard her (and her boyfriend) and we all joke about it. She almost walked in on our dad and his partner a few months back and it's become a huge family joke.
My DS has also run into her room a few times and run back out with a "special toy" - which prompted a, "Please close your door when you're not here" conversation.
Sometimes they forget, even when there are kids around.

I think you handled it fine!
Your sister is 15 and having sex in your home? Wow, that's a bit young.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#59 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 PM

I'll be the resident prude. I would flip if someone had sex on my couch.

I also think that the cousin could have gotten herself a lock. I wouldn't be upset about the incident, but I also think locking the door when you're having sex during the day with little ones running around makes good sense.

FWIW, I think you handled it great and think the chances of any "trauma" to your daughter are nill.

I'd be far more worried about my furniture, lol.
#60 of 60 Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybear View Post
I'll be the resident prude. I would flip if someone had sex on my couch.

I also think that the cousin could have gotten herself a lock. I wouldn't be upset about the incident, but I also think locking the door when you're having sex during the day with little ones running around makes good sense.

FWIW, I think you handled it great and think the chances of any "trauma" to your daughter are nill.

I'd be far more worried about my furniture, lol.
Dang, if you're ever in town and want to meet up, remind me not to have you over and to meet at a neutral location instead.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page