please help, dont judge. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so here is the deal,
Im not sure if my baby is either mixed with asian or black.
Big mistake on my part , now its driving me crazy because i dont see either in her, and they are both dominant over white.
The only thing is the Asian boy was on my period, and i know that its very unlikely (but still possible) to get pregnant on your period. My cycle was 26 days. My daughter doesnt have dark ears, a dark private part, or mongolian spots. The skin above her nails, however, is darker than the rest of her. Its very noticeable.

For mothers of biracial babys mixed with black/white, Have any of you had a mixed baby with light brown hair, blue eyes? My family says this is NOT possible, that biracial babys are dark, and okay obviously most of them i see are, but i have seen some pretty light mixed babies. Did you go by the nails or ears, and did you baby have mongolian spots?

Do ALL biracial babies have mongolian spots?

I just watch Jon&Kate, their babys are 1/4 korean and they look Korean, my daughter doesnt look korean, but she also doesnt look black.

Im white, I think she resembles me.
The black guy is light, and his father is light.
The asian is 1/2 white, 1/2 korean.
#2 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
2xy

I don't have much to offer, except that I work with a biracial woman (black/white) who is light-skinned, with dirty-blonde hair and blue eyes. You would never know she's part black unless she told you.
#3 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Why not obtain a DNA test so that your daughter can know who her father is and you can get support?

Kill two (or three) birds with one stone.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#4 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM

It all depends on how the genes mix, and what genes the parents both carry.

Haven't there been a some cases of mixed-race fraternal twins, with one looking completely Caucasian (blonde hair/blue eyes), and the other fairly obviously black?
#5 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Welcome to MDC!

No judgement here mama, but if you are concerned about paternity then there are more accurate ways than by trying to figure it out by who your babe looks like. The identity of your daughter's father is pretty important.

Like the pp, I have a friend who is biracial (1/2 black and 1/2 white) and she is quite light skinned with dirty blonde hair and green eyes. Genetics is NOT an exact science and there is no way to give a 100% about most of these things.

Also, I don't know how old you baby is but if she is very young her eye color may still change and she may not end up with blue eyes as she gets older. Many babies start out with light eyes and they end up being darker.

Good luck in your journey.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#6 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM

#7 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Congratulations on your Baby girl! She sounds beautiful.

I agree with the PP, get the test to be sure.

I have met many blond, blue eyed children (all of them stunningly beautiful BTW) who had a white and black parent.

Genes mix in amazingly unique ways at conception so I do not think you can ever say a baby with X and Y parents will never look like Z.

Also babies change tremendously as they grow so your DD's coloring and features may change as she grows.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#8 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:32 PM

I have a friend who is half Chinese and one of her children is blonde with blue eyes. She does have more Chinese shaped eyes though. One of her children does not have Chinese eyes.

No judgement. If I were you, I'd get the dna tests to confirm. Congratulations on your baby girl.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#9 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Ditto to what everyone said about the phenotypes showing up in both mixes.

I'd look at her hair - my DD's are 1/2 asian and have very straight hair. If she were mixed with black, their hair might be curly/wavy.
#10 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

I too vote for the DNA tests.

My cousin used to babysit for twin girls of one white parent and one black parent. One twin was dark skinned, black haired, brown eyed, and the other twin was light skinned, blonde haired and blue eyed.

They were stunning together, and you'd have never guessed without seeing their parents that the black twin had white in her and the white twin had black in her. Totally neat.

Anyway, you just can't always tell by looking at someone...the dna holds the key.
#11 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Congrats on your baby!!!
I've heard that dark skinned babies "darken up" after birth....I've seen that to be true with my friend's babes. I agree that a paternity test would be most accurate, but from the sounds of it, it probably wasn't the asian man that got you pregnant...BUT, have the dna test to be sure. Good luck!!
You know, we are not judgmental around these parts, so come back and keep us updated!!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#12 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM

My son is biracial, black and white, his father is deep brown. When he was born and up until he was about 7 months old, he was quite light and had straight brown hair. Now, he is a beautiful cafe au lait color with gorgeous brown curls. The curls literally happened overnight. Oh and when he was born, he looked asian. He had very slanty little eyes and silky dark hair. He looked like neither of us.

Biracial babies can change dramatically from what they look like at birth. And they can definitely have blue eyes. But get the DNA test.

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#13 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM

My niece is biracial, black and white, and when she was born she had blue eyes. They changed to brown later around the 9 month age. She is kind of cafe au lait skinned, her mom is darker and her dad is white.

But I agree, this is just anecdotal, if you have the opportunity you should do a DNA test.
#14 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM

My DD1's paternity was a question, too.

Choice #1 was Columbian.
Choice #2 was 1/2 Mexican, 1/2 Black.

There was no way of telling appearance-wise until after she was a year old. Until then, she looked like a little tan baby with curly black hair.

ETA: although we did a DNA test shortly after she was born, so we found out fairly quickly.
#15 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM

I've known a fair number of multiracial people, and DS is European on my side and Asian on DH's. The range of possibilities for appearance are nearly endless.

Remember, blue eyes are recessive, so they just pop-up here and there. I knew a girl who generally looked fairly black, but had soft blue grey eyes. I knew a guy who was Scottish and Native American, who had very dark skin, but shocking ice blue eyes. Also, it is very common for babies to have blue eye that later turn brown.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#16 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 PM

I would get a paternity test for the simple fact that race can also have a medical affect. There are genetic dispositions that are specific to race and even region. My dh is from Turkey and he was telling me just the other day about a syndrome that is found only in Mediterranean men (who are considered caucasian). So, for your dd's future health, it would be good to find out the other race that is mixed.

I wouldn't go on eye color, for sure! I have brown eyes, dh (middle eastern) and his entire family has brown eyes. We have a dd (almost 8 now) with blue eyes. Imagine our surprise. We had to go back several generations to find the anomaly on dh's side. His great, great, aunt had blue eyes. My father has blue eyes, so it was easy on my side. See... these things just are not as simple as one or two data points.
#17 of 106 Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 PM

I had a little girl in one of my preschool classrooms who was biracial, but she had this really creamy coffee toned skin, brown eyes and hair that was the same texture of black (as in the race) hair, but it was red. Recessive doesn't mean the traits never pop up.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#18 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Well, a DNA test is only a good idea IF the mamma wants the possible dads involved, or maintains any kind of connection with them. I mean, what if Angelbaby wants no connection with the guys, for whatever reason? (Like WHATEVER reason.) Is there a way to get an answer without DNA tests? Does anyone know the answer to this?
#19 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 AM

How old is your daughter? Babies change so much in appearance over the first year. If you are saying the skin above her nails is much darker, her complexion may change. Her blue eyes may also darken to another color.

Biracial babies (no matter the ethnicity--black, asian) can look so different from each other. It is definitely possible that she has blue eyes being part asian or black. It all has to do with the genes that she inherited not the genes that it was possible for her to inherit.
#20 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 AM

I can answer a few of your questions. My DS is half Chinese, half blonde-haired, blue-eyed white.

Not all biracial babies have mongolian spots. My sister's kids (her DH is also blonde haired and blue eyed) all had them. My DS didn't have any. Also, while her kids have brown nipples, etc. my kids have pink. Basically, DS looks very "white", with fair skin and pink undertones, although he does have dark hair and eyes.

If you don't need to know right away, I agree that waiting until your daughter is a little older might make it clear. Biracial kids (and maybe all kids) tend to change how they look a lot in the beginning...one week they look more like mom, next week they look more like dad. Otherwise, your best bet is a paternity test, as others have mentioned.
#21 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 02:29 AM

My kids are 1/2 Caucasian (me), half Korean (DH). DD looked just like my DH when she was born except for her blue eyes and now looks mostly like me (but her eyes turned green). There are NO relatives on DH's side that aren't Korean with brown eyes, so that surprised us.

DS1 looks a lot like DH and had that sticking straight up hair at birth that a lot of Asians have; his hair is now just like mine (dark brown, not as coarse as DH's, and has a slight wave to it).

So far DS2 resembles DD and I assume will favor me more than DH as he grows, but who knows.

My kids do have Mongolian spots, but they are very faint. DH didn't even notice them for a really long time and then not until DS1.

I guess my examples are just to show the differences that can show up with our "mix." If you want to see pics of my kiddos, my blog is enviromama.blogspot.com
#22 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
Well, a DNA test is only a good idea IF the mamma wants the possible dads involved, or maintains any kind of connection with them. I mean, what if Angelbaby wants no connection with the guys, for whatever reason? (Like WHATEVER reason.) Is there a way to get an answer without DNA tests? Does anyone know the answer to this?
I'm not an expert, but I don't think there is. I know that there are some tests out there that claim to give you a breakdown of your genes -- i.e., this % european, that % african, etc., but from what I've heard these are not reliable. They are also very expensive.
#23 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM

My mother is scandinavian and my father is a more light skinned african american...my sister and I share the same mother and father.

I came out with medium toned skin, emerald green eyes and darkish brown hair with lightish sort of highlights in the summer. My hair is curly...but very silky and fine like my mothers...it "likes" to be straight...so, it's not coarse at all. I have fine features like my mother and most people think I am mediterranian. Nobody ever guesses black and white mix.

My sister has more african american features than I do...a wide, happy face...fuller mouth and large pretty eyes and a wider nose...she has blonde hair (that is a bit thicker than mine, not as silky), blue blue eyes and lilly LILLY white skin...oh, and super cute little freckles sprinkled across her nose.

No one ever guesses her race/mix either and with us being raised in upper middle class, white areas...well, there was just no one around who really saw a lot of "mixed" people, so no one ever guessed a lot. When we lived in the south people could tell though.

Now I'm all grown up and have my own baby and we were interested to see how she would come out...my skin is much more olive than dark...but we wondered if she would come out a little tan baby (oh, how I had crossed my fingers! )

NO DICE! My baby looks like a sack of flour with my DHs face plastered to the front of it! My husband is pretty much straight Irish with a little bit of English in the mix....he has light light skin, but does tan in the summer, dark green/hazel eyes and darkish brown hair that is VERY fine.

DD is EXTREMELY light skinned with very very blue blue eyes..like, DEEP denim blue. She has dirty blonde hair (for the moment, I see it getting darker and think she will end up with lightish brown hair) and it is kind of curly if the air is wicked humid...so.

Every time two races get together to make a baby...it's like a roll of the dice. I think I remember being told that every time an egg and sperm get together, there is something like 64,000,000,000 different possible outcomes when you to into account all of the variations, etc....I don't know if that's completely true or what...but I do know when it comes to black/white mixes, the heritage is so screwy, anything can happen. Lots and lots of black people have caucasian blood in their background and I even have a half sister (two black parents) who married a black man and ended up with a very dark, african american child and a little girl who is white white white. So....really, you never know how that is going to turn out.

Ooooh, this conversation has me really excited thinking about my son, who is due soon....we are wondering what he will look like...maybe this time we will get a little brown baby? A baby who looks even remotely like me! People think I'm my DDs nanny for goodness sake!

I WOULD say this....based upon what you have said about your childs eye color and IF that color sticks...I would put all my money on african american genes as oppossed to asian. Brown skin tone, lightish hair, light eyes....dead give away (in MY exp) for a white/black mix.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#24 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I think there are DNA tests to determine this. As I said in my above post, even if the mother doesn't want the father in the child's life, it important to know the race for the child's medical background! For example, if a doctor assumes that a child is 100% European and has no African American relatives, they may not check for a particular disease that could save a person's life.
#25 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
Ditto to what everyone said about the phenotypes showing up in both mixes.

I'd look at her hair - my DD's are 1/2 asian and have very straight hair. If she were mixed with black, their hair might be curly/wavy.

Her hair is very curly/wavy. I never thought about that.
#26 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
Congrats on your baby!!!
I've heard that dark skinned babies "darken up" after birth....I've seen that to be true with my friend's babes. I agree that a paternity test would be most accurate, but from the sounds of it, it probably wasn't the asian man that got you pregnant...BUT, have the dna test to be sure. Good luck!!
You know, we are not judgmental around these parts, so come back and keep us updated!!

Well i was on a parenting site, and everybody called me a whore. they werent very nice.
#27 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Ignoring color, who does she look like? Babies tend to look like their fathers when they're very young.

That said, : about proper testing.
#28 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
I WOULD say this....based upon what you have said about your childs eye color and IF that color sticks...I would put all my money on african american genes as oppossed to asian. Brown skin tone, lightish hair, light eyes....dead give away (in MY exp) for a white/black mix.
I wouldn't totally count on this, she said the Asian guy is also half European, so the blue eyes could come from there.

DS had very light reddish brown hair when he was born. There is a little girl at his preschool who was also European/Asian, who has bright red hair and very pale skin. There is another European/Asian family with a couple of kids at DS's school, who all have blond highlights in their hair. These kids are all half Asian, the OP's DD would just be a quarter Asian. I wouldn't rule out blond hair and blue eyes.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#29 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i ordered a Home DNA test, but my grandma said they arent always accurate and that the people in the lab dont know what they are doing. She said it can come back and say its the black boys and its really not. She just doesnt want it to be his. They bet a hundred dollars on the Asian boy even though it was on my period and there is a very small chance.
#30 of 106 Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM

It having been on your period, I'm suspecting you only think it might be the Asian guy because your family talked you into it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page