What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 201 Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Also, I'm pretty sure having a swing/bouncy seat, etc, on an elevated surface is a terrible idea.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Not sure I could list all the things wrong with the advertisement/website/product. How sad.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#183 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM

I was reading on another site (I know I can't quote directly) but a mom said her new neighbors called CPS on her for neglect...because she uses cloth diapers.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#184 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM

I wonder how you even find out if someone has called CPS over cloth diapers - wouldn't they have to follow up on the complaint for you to know? Why would they bother responding that? Is it mandatory that they follow up on every call even if it is blatantly frivolous?

Cat - SAHM to Lilah 10-19-09! Happily Unmarried to DP Our new life =
#185 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post
Well this isn't something someone said, but a baby product I saw an ad for. Because you wouldn't want to actually HOLD your baby while feeding him

http://bottlegenieinc.com/
OMG! That is so F*CKed up I am speechless. No, actually I am swearing, and I rarely ever swear. Sick, really sick.
#186 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 04:04 PM

If we're going for odd baby contraptions, here's one. http://www.impactlab.com/2009/12/06/...baby-carriage/

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#187 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM

^^^ you can tell it must be a great product by the expertly written paragraphs describing it.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#188 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
^^^ you can tell it must be a great product by the expertly written paragraphs describing it.
Are they written by the Iranian designer?

Seriously though, a majority of infant fatalities (read, all but like 3 in the past 19 years) in airplane incident reports where most or all of the other occupants survived were to babies being airlifted for medical treatment. As a general-use thing, the "baby pod" is freaking weird. As a step towards improving the way infants are transported for medical treatment, it's could be a very good thing.
#189 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
"You're not going to make him an only child, are you? Because I have only one, and he grew up to be a crackhead. I wish I'd had more."

What would keep them all from turning into crackheads??

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#190 of 201 Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
"You're not going to make him an only child, are you? Because I have only one, and he grew up to be a crackhead. I wish I'd had more."
Yea... it was being an only child that caused this.

#191 of 201 Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 AM

Maybe she meant if she had more children, then she would atleast have someone around who wasn't a crackhead? Not that being an only child made him a crackhead.

But that's not very funny then.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#192 of 201 Old 12-15-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
Maybe she meant if she had more children, then she would atleast have someone around who wasn't a crackhead? Not that being an only child made him a crackhead.

But that's not very funny then.
Yea good plan! Everyone, make sure you have more than one kid. Just in case one of them's a crackhead. At least you'll have one or 2 good ones.

#193 of 201 Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Right after our second child was born, SIL was over and asked how it was going now that we had two. (Our first was only 17 months old.) I said things were great, but we were exhausted from staying up until midnight doing chores after we finally got the kids asleep. SIL looked really puzzled and said, "What kind of chores are you doing?" Um, washing every single dish we'd piled in the sink during the day, cleaning up a houseful of toddler toys, washing the clothes that were covered in leaked breastmilk, washing cloth dipes, etc.
#194 of 201 Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
We were at a play place yesterday and a mom with three kids was there with a friend. Her kids were all climbing, the youngest looked a little under 2. She was having a really hard time climbing (so was my HUGE almost 3yo, and the sign said 3+) and was crying a lot unless her siblings helped her climb. She came to the side crying to mom for help getting down and mom told her, "You're FINE! You're not upset! You're not crying!" Really? She looks pretty upset to me!
I hate people like that. You shouldn't abandon your child in a semi-dangerous situation. At least verbally encourage her, if you know she can do it herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
My Mother-In-Law, upon hearing that we did not plan to circumcise should we have a boy, told us of an 8 year old boy that she knew of who HAD to be circumcised because of frequent bladder infections.

"That's why I think boys should get their pencils sharpened while they're babies."

Ugh. We still plan on having our unsharpened little boy one day.
Umm, pencils? Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
I think part of this problem has to do with people who don't eat dairy due to their own personal beliefs, like vegans. They tend not to eat eggs as well. Also, most eggs recipes have milk in them. If I knew a child was dairy sensitive (like mine) I would be surprised to see them eating eggs, too. But that's because I've honestly never seen anyone prepare an egg dish without milk or cheese.
I think people confuse "farm" products with "dairy" products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRosa View Post
An old friend of mine once told me: "What's the use of having kids if you can't order them around?"
... if I hadn't been so shocked I would have kicked him.
My parents used to tell my bro and I that they had us so they wouldn't have to do the heavy work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
If we're going for odd baby contraptions, here's one. http://www.impactlab.com/2009/12/06/...baby-carriage/
Yeah, if the child is in danger of dying... like the airplane is crashing... But just to ease travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiestgirl View Post
Right after our second child was born, SIL was over and asked how it was going now that we had two. (Our first was only 17 months old.) I said things were great, but we were exhausted from staying up until midnight doing chores after we finally got the kids asleep. SIL looked really puzzled and said, "What kind of chores are you doing?" Um, washing every single dish we'd piled in the sink during the day, cleaning up a houseful of toddler toys, washing the clothes that were covered in leaked breastmilk, washing cloth dipes, etc.
Yeah, I remember when DS was newborn and I was told I was lucky to be a single parent cuz I didn't have to do anything but take care of the baby... I asked the person who said that who was gonna do my laundry... enter the laundry fairies...

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#195 of 201 Old 02-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I was reading on another site (I know I can't quote directly) but a mom said her new neighbors called CPS on her for neglect...because she uses cloth diapers.
Someone on mdc (I think?) had this happen...sort of. Her 2 year old broke his ankle and the ER called because he was wearing cloth. Not that they suspected abuse from the broken ankle itself, but because he was in cloth. She said he was wearing a $35 custom too. Uh, yeah, totally neglectful.
#196 of 201 Old 02-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I think people confuse "farm" products with "dairy" products.
I am dairy free right now to hopefully help DS's skin (I have it narrowed down to chocolate and/or dairy I think), and mentioned to my mom when we were talking about the rice milk I had made. Then she wanted to know if "all I eat was bland chicken." I told her that I can eat lots of things, like salad, like sandwiches, b/c mayo and mustard don't have dairy in them. Then my mom (who, incidentally, grew up on a dairy farm) was like "but mayo has eggs in it!" I said "Eggs aren't dairy." Then she said "But they're in the dairy section of the grocery store." So I elaborated, "Eggs come from chickens. Dairy comes from cows and consists of milk and its derivatives like cheese and butter." She paused for a minute and said "But aren't eggs in the milk group (like the four food groups)?" I said, "No, eggs are actually in the meat group." Then she said, "Huh. I guess I should have paid more attention in school."

Anyway the whole thing was amusing to me.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
#197 of 201 Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM

When I was in school, they actually taught us that eggs were in the dairy group. It never made sense to me, but that was what we learned. And you know, if you learn it in school, most people assume it to be true, so I'm really not surprised by that.
#198 of 201 Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 PM

When I was in school they taught us pluto was a planet. lol

#199 of 201 Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblondie View Post
When I was in school they taught us pluto was a planet. lol

Thanks for reviving this thread! it's always good for a laugh (or utter disbelief)
#200 of 201 Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
Someone on mdc (I think?) had this happen...sort of. Her 2 year old broke his ankle and the ER called because he was wearing cloth. Not that they suspected abuse from the broken ankle itself, but because he was in cloth. She said he was wearing a $35 custom too. Uh, yeah, totally neglectful.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#201 of 201 Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Apparently there's a Part V thread going on now here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page