What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? IV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1093966 iteration 3. Use multi-quoye to respond to stuff from that thread.
Really, we should be starting new ones of these around 500 posts.
#2 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
See, when I was a server I used to get confused when people would order their baby Diet Coke...water wouldn't have made me bat an eye.
It's "sugar free" y'know.
#3 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People seem to think Sprite is harmless because it doesn't have caffeine. I griped at XH once for giving 3yo DS Sprite and he said "But it has no caffeine!" Yes, but it's still full of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Subbing.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#5 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Neither of my kids like pop at all and will spit it if they get any in thier mouth.
I have let people figure this out for themselves a few times over the years

Both kids mostly drink water and for my DS at least he is only intereted in something other than water for a few sips not an actual drink.

People don't seem to get the he actually prefers the water not me.

WHen both of my kids had dental issues at a young age they seemed to assume that they drank tons of juice and drank from bottles all the time when in reality by the time my DS had his dental issues he was still nursing for 75% of his food

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#6 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 11:20 AM

subbing
#7 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM

subbing

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#8 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 AM

from mamakah in part III:
"I used to take ds to a very pro vax, pro FDA, pro everything mainstream medicine pedi. She asked me if he had any ailments lately and I told her that he caught pink eye from his cousin, and that I had treated the eye with breast milk. Her lips pursed and she said:
"Well, breastmilk for the eye is not FDA approved."

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#9 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two babes View Post
Neither of my kids like pop at all and will spit it if they get any in thier mouth.
I have let people figure this out for themselves a few times over the years

Both kids mostly drink water and for my DS at least he is only intereted in something other than water for a few sips not an actual drink.

People don't seem to get the he actually prefers the water not me.

WHen both of my kids had dental issues at a young age they seemed to assume that they drank tons of juice and drank from bottles all the time when in reality by the time my DS had his dental issues he was still nursing for 75% of his food
yes on the son prefering water. DS won't drink juice. I've never tried giving him soda. He wants water. plain and simple.
#10 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
from mamakah in part III:
"I used to take ds to a very pro vax, pro FDA, pro everything mainstream medicine pedi. She asked me if he had any ailments lately and I told her that he caught pink eye from his cousin, and that I had treated the eye with breast milk. Her lips pursed and she said:
"Well, breastmilk for the eye is not FDA approved."

And what's the FDA gonna do, stop production of breastmilk?

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#11 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
And what's the FDA gonna do, stop production of breastmilk?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#12 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM

My uncle told me I was "turning DS into a sissy" because I would not let two young girls (ages 8 and 9) who I never met, take DS in the back of a pick up truck bed to go fishing along a deep, fast moving creek. (the older cousin who I also never met was driving the girls about 3 miles down a state road to the creek)

He later went to DH and told him that he (uncle) was very concerned about how DS was growing up because I won't let DS do anything fun or play with other kids.

WTH?

Sending a 3.5 year old off with a group of strangers, all under the age of 17, miles down the road, in an open truck bed, to totter on the edge of a drowning hazard has nothing to do with DS's interaction with other children.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#13 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Here's a really good one from my step-mom.

We distantly know a woman who was just arrested for murdering (suffocating) her baby. Two years ago everyone thought it was SIDS. So, I was saying how I couldn't ever imagine doing anything so horrible to my DD and that I couldn't wrap my head around the idea. It was just so foreign to me! My step-mom then says:

"If you ever feel like killing DD, bring her over here. We'll take her."

I just stared at her speechless with my mouth gaping open. I don't know how many ways I can say I don't want to murder my child.

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#14 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 02:38 PM

A church lady once said disapprovingly to me and DH (29yo and 36yo, respectively), "you two are too young to be taking care of a baby! I hope your mothers are helping you!"

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#15 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Re: soda

DS and I were on an elimination diet around 12/13mo. My MIL offered me a soda, and I said "no, thanks - it has corn in it and I can't have that right now." She laughed and said "soda doesn't have corn!" I said "yes, it has high fructose corn syrup."

MIL: That's made from corn??

I love that woman, but sometimes she's clueless.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#16 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM

My father (who is usually great) once suggested I take my two year old for a walk down the street to show him the dead deer on the side of the road so I could "teach him the dangers of running into traffic"!

Um, no Dad.
#17 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM

DD is almost 12 months. No one else at church nurses, and in the last few years, no one else has nursed this long, if ever. So earlier one night this week I was in a meeting with a few ladies around my mom's age, and DD got hungry, so I fed her. One of the ladies asked how old she was I answered. She said she thought babies weren't nursed past 6 months.
#18 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isign View Post
DD is almost 12 months. No one else at church nurses, and in the last few years, no one else has nursed this long, if ever. So earlier one night this week I was in a meeting with a few ladies around my mom's age, and DD got hungry, so I fed her. One of the ladies asked how old she was I answered. She said she thought babies weren't nursed past 6 months.
Oh, really? I must have missed the expiration date tattooed on my breasts. *looks down shirt*

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#19 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
My father (who is usually great) once suggested I take my two year old for a walk down the street to show him the dead deer on the side of the road so I could "teach him the dangers of running into traffic"!
This made me laugh out loud! Not the best idea!!

My dd has also only had water and breastmilk - she's 11 months. when she was around 8 months, someone offered to give her some "juice" which was essentially bright red artifically colored and flavored high fructose corn syrup. Yuck.

I don't know why people always want to feed babies things - it drives me crazy! I had someone offer her a fried chicken patty once, and another time I stepped away for a minute and someone was trying to spoon feed her sweet potatoes that were loaded with brown sugar and butter, and she's allergic to dairy so she can't have butter.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#20 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
I don't know why people always want to feed babies things - it drives me crazy! I had someone offer her a fried chicken patty once, and another time I stepped away for a minute and someone was trying to spoon feed her sweet potatoes that were loaded with brown sugar and butter, and she's allergic to dairy so she can't have butter.
My rule of thumb: If I won't eat it, I'm not feeding it to my child (well, with the exception of fruits and veggies I don't like...you know what I mean)
I'm afraid of visiting family for this very reason. They've been pushing me to start solids since he was 4 months old. (Actually, MIL wanted me to start cereal at 8 weeks)

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#21 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Had a few today from my aunt...she is generally accepting of our choices, but keeps giving me those advices, like...
- I should take my kids to McDonald's so they will know what other kids are talking about. Even knowing that DS has allergies (including fish) we are still trying to figure out, none of us needs highly processed fat fried foods and we keep kosher style (which means no meat dishes in such places).
- I shouldn't bother with eating mostly organics and healthy foods, since my kids get sick anyway. Of course the fact that they just started preschool/daycare last month and are exposed to all kinds of viruses for the first time in such amount doesn't make much a difference.

Mom of DS (07/2006) and DD (01/2008)
#22 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
My rule of thumb: If I won't eat it, I'm not feeding it to my child (well, with the exception of fruits and veggies I don't like...you know what I mean)
I'm afraid of visiting family for this very reason. They've been pushing me to start solids since he was 4 months old. (Actually, MIL wanted me to start cereal at 8 weeks)
I regret to say that I fell for the advice of cereal in the bottle. I was young, and told that would help DD sleep through the night.
*sigh* I wish I had had breastfeeding support when she was little.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#23 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakah View Post
this happens to me ALL THE TIME when i order water for ds at restaurants.
server: water? we have juice, milk, chocolate milk and soda...
me: it's fine he'll drink water (ds is 17 months)
server: they are all free with a kids meal!
me: Thank you, but he doesn't drink sugary drinks.
server has confused look.
I can not tell you how many times I've had this conversation. You should see their faces when I add that dd dosen't drink (cow's) milk.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#24 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 PM

I remember once when we were visiting family, my daughter was 12 months old and we were visiting my cousin and her baby who was about 7 or 8 months old. I was visiting with other family members, so not really paying attention, but their baby had been eating something out of a box for hours. He just sort of carried it around the house with him. I didn't know what it was.

At one point, the dad took the box and handed it to my daughter and asked her if she wanted one, then caught himself and asked me politely if she could have a cookie. I had to hide my look of utter horror and politely decline.

As it turned out, they just let their son have a box of cookies to eat freely all day long EVERY SINGLE DAY and he would get the "healthy" canned Gerber food during mealtimes.

BLECH!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#25 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM

A new thread already? Wow, hard to believe there's so much crazy out there.

Or maybe not.

When DD was born, we were pretty involved in a very crunch community. Homebirthing, babywearing, EBFing, CDing/ECing, NIPing etc. were pretty normal. Now that we've moved, and I'm no longer surrounded by my AP squad, I'm wondering what sort of comments I'll be getting ... I may finally have some stories of my own to add in a few weeks.

(Not sure if that should be followed by a happy face or a sad face)

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#26 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 PM

^sad face. Most of the things I'm reading on here are pretty sad.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#27 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Re: soda

DS and I were on an elimination diet around 12/13mo. My MIL offered me a soda, and I said "no, thanks - it has corn in it and I can't have that right now." She laughed and said "soda doesn't have corn!" I said "yes, it has high fructose corn syrup."

MIL: That's made from corn??

I love that woman, but sometimes she's clueless.
You may want to share with her that that doesn't make HFCS a health food--since it's made from a vegetable and all.
#28 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#29 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM

One can only assume that all of the bad advice we are getting these days hearkens back to the generation that gave us THIS lovely invention:

http://www.life.com/image/3136964/in...umb-inventions

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#30 of 201 Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 PM

omg, those are crazy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page