Chicken pox in dd's school, she *may* have it, should I send her in the am? what about ToT? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
the point is that it is really rude to knowingly expose people to a very infectious communicable disease that has potentially serious effects on pregnant women, fetuses, small babies, and old people.

And for me, the point is that if you don't believe in vaccinating your children, if you are advocating, through that act, a return to the way things were before widespread vaccinations, then you should behave the way people used to when those diseases were widespread in the population by being aware that while widespread, they are still serious, and you should take care of sick children by giving them lots of rest at home, and you should be courteous to the general population.
I did call everyone ahead of time. Everyone was more than okay with us coming over and we also got loot bags from neighbours who's children also had chicken pox (although they all went out with friends like usual). We did not go around to potentially spread it.

I guess....I don't understand how I was not courteous to the general population? I had NO contact with unknowing people, I had no contact with people that didn't consent to us coming over. We didn't walk past people on the sidewalk, etc.

Can you please clarify if you still think I should have stayed in my own house last night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread so maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why people are jumping on the OP for exposing people to cp without their knowledge. As far as I can make out she did not do this. Why are people attacking her for being "really rude"? It sounds like she couldn't have done more to protect others while still allowing her (presumably sprightly) child to have a taste of the Halloween experience. I don't get the antagonism.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 AM

Boot, whether the OP was going to take her sick child around the general neighborhood was an open question (even for her, I assume) until her post on the sixth page of this thread. Some time after that, she indicated that she decided on selective trick or treating among informed volunteers only because this thread convinced her that many people have unfounded fears about the danger of chicken pox. I think the posts since then have been from people trying to tell her that her ongoing beliefs about the rules of polite society and the reality of the disease (rather than her actual actions Halloween night) are wrong. Despite the neighbors with chicken pox who went trick or treating as usual.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I honestly didn't realize that so many people were so afraid of chicken pox and considered it deadly. I think of it as a childhood thing....like teething....or falling off a bike. No fear of it. I realize that a very very very small amount of children die from it. But children also die from falling off their bikes and hitting their head. etc. (true story...my uncle slipped and fell putting out his garbage...bumped his head. Bled in his brain and died 36 hours later....) I guess I don't see it as some do.....I definitely don't live in fear of CP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
Not all of us feel chicken pox is deadly. I feel it is an inconvenience that not everyone is prepared or willing to deal with when it occurs. I also think what most, including myself were saying in a nice way was that it is rude to take a child sick with anything out to large community functions where you can infect others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Exactly. Chicken Pox is not "deadly" to the vast majority of people who get it. HOWEVER it is NOT "no big deal," to many, many people.
I haven't read every post in detail, so I'm not sure if anyone has discussed what happens to some children who get chicken pox, yet don't die from it. I know a child who had a severe case - the pox appeared inside her mouth and throat, and I believe down her esophagus. Even after she recovered, she had severe digestive problems. She required special diets for a long time after. It affected her growth and development because of the severe impact on her nutritional intake.

Chicken pox can be a very serious disease, even when it is not deadly. Please do not treat it as if it is a minor cold or tummy upset.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM

You know, I would never have thought about taking a CP kid to a party or a park, but not out on the streets at all? I stayed home with my 18 month old nephew when he had CP and felt totally fine. He lived in a tiny apartment nad we spent a lot of time running up and down the street with nary a thought. Obviously, he didn't go to school, we wouldn't go into a store, and we weren't out when the kids were all coming home, but staying in the apartment for 1.5 weeks would have been pure torture for that kid. I guess I figured that whatever virus he was spewing out into the environment would have dissipated quickly. Am I totally wrong? Does anyone know how long CP lives outside the body?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I did call everyone ahead of time. Everyone was more than okay with us coming over and we also got loot bags from neighbours who's children also had chicken pox (although they all went out with friends like usual). We did not go around to potentially spread it.

I guess....I don't understand how I was not courteous to the general population? I had NO contact with unknowing people, I had no contact with people that didn't consent to us coming over. We didn't walk past people on the sidewalk, etc.

Can you please clarify if you still think I should have stayed in my own house last night?
we understand that you did that. I've got no problem with going out to see people who either want their child to be exposed *with their knowledge* or who know they've already had the pox - assuming the child feels well enough, and many do.

The reason some of us keep harping on "don't take your sick child door to door!" Is that until a bunch of people said "Oh, no, don't take her trick or treating!" you were really thinking of doing it, and a few other people were also saying "oh, no biggie, I bet they'd be glad to get natural pox!"

And the response to those of us saying "Don't," had a definite overtone of calling the naysayers overprotective, because "CP is a simple childhood disease, and is no big deal, so you shouldn't worry about exposing people." There have been a number of posts that express astonishment or amazement that anyone would think to keep a sick and contagious child away from others.

So I, personally, think that your compromise was a great idea. You warned people about possible exposure and stuck to visiting people who were okay with that for various reasons, but you did not take your child out door to door or into crowded, anonymous places. You were courteous to the general population, but I think people are continuing to post about courtesy because you, and a few others, keep coming back to the theme of "Well, I really don't see why it is a big deal."

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

User Tag List