Mothering Forum banner

Chicken pox in dd's school, she *may* have it, should I send her in the am? what about ToT?

8K views 155 replies 63 participants last post by  savithny 
#1 ·
Chicken pox is going around dd's school. And there have been a couple cases in her class. Yesterday she had a single pimple thingy on her neck. Not itchy. She doesn't notice. Tonight (more than 24 hours later) she has one more pimple on her chest. Not itchy at all. No fever.

So.....I am not sure that it is even the chicken pox.....

So, my question is...if your child has two tiny spots and NO fever and NO itching....would you keep them home or send them to school?

If you child had chicken pox would you still bring them ToT?

What a crappy time to get them if it is chicken pox....(but that isn't my question....)

update: I kept her home today from school. Still two spots and no fever. We will wait and see in the morning....

Update: one of dd's classmates/friends has chicken pox today....her mom said it is her built in Halloween costume.

Additional question: what if I only ToT to people I ask first and either they a)don't mind being exposed b) got the vax and feel safe c) have already had the cp ?

Also...I am curious, and not many people have answered.....would you also keep siblings home assuming they have the CP soon too?

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
It's the pox. That's how it starts. She's going to have a lot more tomorrow. I'd keep her home.
Yep, this exactly. When I had them as a kid they started off really slowly like this, and I never ran a fever.

#7 ·
If I knew my child had a contagious disease, fever or not, I would not send them. Nor would I allow them to go ToTing. You never know who you might expose, and chicken pox can be very dangerous to some people.

If it were the chicken pox though, I would call up my friends who were looking to expose their kids naturally to it though. As long as I didn't have to worry that they would bring along H1N1 too.

We are having to do ToTing in the house this year, since all three of my kids have the flu right now, so I get how annoying it is (they're all missing the school halloween party that they were so excited about tomorrow too).

#10 ·
School no I would not send her. ToT you bet if she felt up to it I would take her in a heartbeat. My reasoning on that is school she may get sicker so I want her with me ToTing she will be with me so if she does get sicker I could just head home.

I wish it would go around here as well.

#13 ·
Is it weird that I'm kind of jealous? I really want dd1 and ds2 to get chickenpox. I exposed them twice back in May/June, and nothing.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
School no I would not send her. ToT you bet if she felt up to it I would take her in a heartbeat. My reasoning on that is school she may get sicker so I want her with me ToTing she will be with me so if she does get sicker I could just head home.

I wish it would go around here as well.
Um,what about the people you'd be exposing to it? It can be more serius in adults,and it's not good for pregnant woman to get it.

OP,maybe see if you can arrange a few friends houses or your daughter to go to,either before or after regular trick or treating times.

#15 ·
Maybe you can post in FYT and ask who wants to be exposed. Then take her around ToTing to all the people who want to be exposed!

I'd keep her home for everything. If she's not got more than 2 spots on Saturday, I'd be tempted to go out ToTing.

#18 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't take her out if she has chicken pox.. she could wipe her nose and put her hand in a bowl of candy, which the next kid would put her hand in. I don't know why anyone would take a kid out who has it. That's not very considerate to others. I had chicken pox at 16 yrs. old and it sucked! And what if an elderly neighbor gets it? It can be really bad for them.

#19 ·
The risk for transmission during ToT would be very low. I would have her wear gloves and possible a mask of some sort.

My dh has never had cp but he wont be moving out if the kids get it. I guess I just dont see cp as that big a deal for either younger kids or older adults. My sil had it at 30 and yeah she was a bit ill but she got over it just fine with no complications. As have all the other people I know of who got cp as adults.

#21 ·
Dang, I wish you were in Iowa I'm 31 weeks preggo but I had CP 12 years ago so I'm immune, I'll move in with my mom if it means getting my kids CP (DH is immuno comprimised)

Any-hoo, I don't know if I'd do ToT...sucks that she has to miss it though...

I know how she feels though, I got CP the day after Christmas. The worst part was I didn't get to miss school. My brother got them after me...New Years day I think and he got to miss 3 or 4 days of school. So not fair.

#22 ·
If she dose have CP she would have already exposed anyone she has come in contact with in the last 5 days as a person with chickenpox is infectious from one to five days before the rash appears. Because the contagious period continues until all blisters have formed scabs I wouldn't take her Trick or Treating so she isn't exposing other children or adults which could include someone who has compromised immune system which could be serious as other posters have pointed out.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I don't see how she could pass it on during ToT? She wouldn't be touching people and I could even hold her bag for her........
Chickenpox is a highly infectious disease that spreads from person to person by direct contact or by air from an infected person's coughing or sneezing.

#24 ·
Um, just to clarify something, the fever can come at any point with CP until they are mostly disappearing (dont always scab over ime). I and 2 of DC never had any fever at all, but the other 2 DC who did have fever, it arrived 1-2 days after I was sure it was CP.

tbh, if it was just 2 spots and no other signs of illness then I would assume it was NOT cp; it could be anything, ime.

#25 ·
Please don't send her to school or go ToT'ing. If you have friends who want exposure maybe you could do a Halloween party at your home instead? Frankly, this seems like a lot more fun to me anyway.

Please respect that there are kids and adults for whom CP is not a mild or benign disease.

#26 ·
I would not send/take her to either. And I am a big supporter of chicken pox. But when my kids had them this summer, we stayed in when they were contagious. I felt it was rude to do otherwise. OTOH, in the school situation, if her school is full of them and most of the kids have prob already been exposed, I would possibly consider sending her, except she might not be feeling quite herself, so in the end I would prob keep her home anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.